Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer - Master Thread

Replies

• Setes
    I've been working with substance designer as well, its an awesome program, but there's some things which i really cant find answers to by googling.

How do you use direction and world space normal maps. I'm quite new to position and world space maps, so i dont know how to use them, and i cant find any real articles/videos/tutorials explaining how to. Help me out please? :)
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I finished my first serious prop in SD today. I can now safly say, I'm not going back to using photoshop or any other software, for painting.
    What would took me 3-4h in Photoshop, in SD it took only 1h, and now I can generate infinite variations of the same texture as I see fit.

What I would like see, though is an option on export to pack selected textures, into RGBA channels of single file. Or other packing option like tiles.

In my materials I'm now really using lot of 8-bit grayscale masks, only color texture I need now is normal and diffuse, and I have to manually pack all the outputs into single files.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    iniside wrote: »
    What I would like see, though is an option on export to pack selected textures, into RGBA channels of single file. Or other packing option like tiles.
    There are RGBA channel merge/split filters in the library ("RGB-A" and "RGBA" split/merge if I remember correctly their names). So you can already pack multiple maps in a single texture. You can also build your own filter for more advanced options (like splitting a normal map in RGB for one channel, and A for the other one, and add the filter in the library).
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    everytime I linked many 2k maps my substance ram usage eventually went crazy , and the program got frozen :(. any tips how to put many bitmap pictures in substance without upsetting the memory?

it works in photoshop , is it because instead of linking it I need to embed to the substance file?
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    In the hot rod tutorial you mention that the chrome and brass material are more complicated than the car paint. Would you guys be able to show us an example of the graph for these materials?

Cheers guys
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You cam download the files at the bottom of this page, it will be easier to go look in the graphs directly (They are not that complicsted):
    http://www.allegorithmic.com/download
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    CHeers Jerc top man
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys! I am new to Substance Designer and about to start my first project using it, but I have one question. Can someone explain what is the position map? And can I bake it outside SD like in xNormal or 3ds max?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It's an interpolation between minimum coordinate and max coordinate. So R = min X to max X, G =min Y to max Y, etc... Allows blending top to bottom, left to right, front to back.

Why bake in another app though? Substance bakes maps no other application can, and it does it super fast. Especially special maps like this one i wouldn't do anywhere else.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I had a go at substance designer over the last few weeks and this is the result so far. Im really impressed, took a while to get used to the workflow but I actually like it. I didnt use any in built rust or scratches etc did all my own custom ones and it was fun :).

This is still WIP its just screenshots from the SD viewport.

camera_screenshots1.jpg
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    that looks great would be awesome to see some of your graphs :D the bump might be a tad heavy on some of the wear but overall looks great for a first go at it with substance.
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Xoliul wrote: »
    It's an interpolation between minimum coordinate and max coordinate. So R = min X to max X, G =min Y to max Y, etc... Allows blending top to bottom, left to right, front to back.

Why bake in another app though? Substance bakes maps no other application can, and it does it super fast. Especially special maps like this one i wouldn't do anywhere else.

Thanks for the explanation, Xoliul. I have lots of parts that I already baked in max like AO, Tangent and WS normals, so I guess I just have to export it as an obj and bake this map in SD then, no biggie :)
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    You don't need hp model to bake out most maps in SD, just your low poly. USe your exploded low poly model to bake maps in SD, and use your normal lp model to preview them.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah you can bake AO from lowpoly with baked normalmap applied in Designer, 3DS Max can't do that except with Vray (and it's still not great).

And yes you don't need HP for position map, it's completely dependent on your LP.
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been looking at the hot rod example sudstance files to try and understand sd a bit better and i noticed that the edge and paint wear detail in the car paint isn't being carried across-ed into the normal map. I was wondering if there is a way of having an output node which will allow it to go into the multi material blend and also the normal map blend which could be overlayed onto the other normal maps.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Oh wow that's even better, makes my life much easier ha ha. Thanks, guys!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I have been looking at the hot rod example sudstance files to try and understand sd a bit better and i noticed that the edge and paint wear detail in the car paint isn't being carried across-ed into the normal map. I was wondering if there is a way of having an output node which will allow it to go into the multi material blend and also the normal map blend which could be overlayed onto the other normal maps.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question

Actually the multi material blend should carry on the normal map but there was a bug in 4.0.2, it should work in 4.0.3. Also you can use the Normal Combine filter to blend normal maps correctly outside of the material blend (details from the materials with the baked normal map for example).
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    rogelio wrote: »
    that looks great would be awesome to see some of your graphs :D the bump might be a tad heavy on some of the wear but overall looks great for a first go at it with substance.

Hey thanks Rogelio, my graphs are probably rather messy/inefficient as Im only just figuring this stuff out. I totally agree about the bump being a bit heavy, still working on that, Im thinking of drawing a map in photoshop for places where the metal is more clean and shiny because none of the maps I tried in SD are really working for me at the moment.

Im still trying to figure out whats the best way to tile images? Im using transform 2d and then scaling up resolution to 2048 and then diving by half twice all over the place.

heres my main graph

sd_vintagecam_graph1.jpg

heres the one for the old rusty metal
    sd_vintagecam_oldmetal.jpg
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    If you want to tile an image, there's always the 'make it tile' group of library nodes, under Filters -> Tiling.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Ged wrote: »
    Im thinking of drawing a map in photoshop for places where the metal is more clean and shiny because none of the maps I tried in SD are really working for me at the moment.
    You could probably paint the map directly in designer if you just need a mask (even as an svg map). Try a bit "Add node > Bitmap > From New Ressource...", once added, you can edit it in the 2D view.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Froyok wrote: »
    You could probably paint the map directly in designer if you just need a mask (even as an svg map). Try a bit "Add node > Bitmap > From New Ressource...", once added, you can edit it in the 2D view.

oh cool didnt realise that.
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »

Any chance of an example :)
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Any chance of an example :)

Quite simple :

1392138541-bitmapnode.gif

1392138546-bitmapnode_edit.gif
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Hey thanks Rogelio, my graphs are probably rather messy/inefficient as Im only just figuring this stuff out. I totally agree about the bump being a bit heavy, still working on that, Im thinking of drawing a map in photoshop for places where the metal is more clean and shiny because none of the maps I tried in SD are really working for me at the moment.

Im still trying to figure out whats the best way to tile images? Im using transform 2d and then scaling up resolution to 2048 and then diving by half twice all over the place.

heres my main graph

sd_vintagecam_graph1.jpg

heres the one for the old rusty metal
    sd_vintagecam_oldmetal.jpg

Looks great pretty clean also which is good.

a few things I see that might help out.

1- I see grayscale conversion nodes attached several times might want to do that earlier along the graph or as early as the bitmap it self turn those to gray scale since they seem gray anyway. Two reason why this is good... It is cleaner and it also saves performance inside substance and if you were to use .sbs files in a engine it would cut cost for the texture to render or bake etc. Try to stick with gray scale as much as possible doing a colorize pass later down the graph.

2- I see the graph jumping from 2048x2048 to 1024x1024 and some nodes start at 512x512. I would make sure most of your maps stay equal all throughout in some cases it is good to hard lock a size etc. But in most cases try to keep the sizes equal and keep them to parent. The substance output size should be done in the doc it self.

3- This is more a nitpick everyone does it different but keep your bitmap nodes organized in one spot of the graph for easy reading and line things up more haha. Small tiny thing no biggy :) Putting comments and thumb tack points helps also. I kind of had to start from the start and see the steps you went through to see how it all developed.

Overall again really good job it is clean simple not over complex and gets the job done. :thumbup:
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Little sneak peak at one of the new features of SD 4.1 :)

HKBJBII.png
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Hah! I've been spending most of today in SD and was hoping you guys would do something like that!

I have a feature request: This may have come up already, but I've noticed that gradient tweaks aren't stored in undo history.

I finally have some time to really get my hands dirty and I've got say, this tool is fantastic guys. I love that it's flexible enough to be as useful or unobtrusive in my workflow as I want, and how reorganizing a package doesn't cause all of my links to break. Really well done!

(My hard drive thanks you as well.)
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Jerc wrote: »

HKBJBII.png

Thank you :)
  • Teessider
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11

HKBJBII.png

Awesome! Been waiting for this feature. Thank you :)
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the help Froyok. Top man.
    Really starting to understand sd and hope to integrate into my workflow more.
    The examples i have seen have mainly involved hard surface assets. Has anyone used it on more organic objects?
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Hey all, I'm having an issue publishing my substance package for Unity. I managed to get it working last week when my package consisted of simple graphs with D/S/N bitmap inputs into the shader outputs, however this time I'm using a more complex setup which has instanced graphs inside other graphs and map generators.

When I publish the file it crashed out SD4, I tried freezing Outputs Computation which stopped it locking up but the .sbar file is 4kb and doesn't show any materials when imported into Unity. Any considerations I should make when trying to publish like this?
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Toku wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm having an issue publishing my substance package for Unity. I managed to get it working last week when my package consisted of simple graphs with D/S/N bitmap inputs into the shader outputs, however this time I'm using a more complex setup which has instanced graphs inside other graphs and map generators.

When I publish the file it crashed out SD4, I tried freezing Outputs Computation which stopped it locking up but the .sbar file is 4kb and doesn't show any materials when imported into Unity. Any considerations I should make when trying to publish like this?

We have recently identified memory problems concerning bitmap management when publishing files. Make sure you set the compression to jpeg (select the bitmap resource in the epxlorer and change the parameter in the parameters tab) when it's possible.

Nicolas
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Any thoughts on making JPEG the default compression option? Right now it seems like you'd have to set it to JPG 95% of the time...
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    @NicolasW Cheers man, that worked a charm. Now I have my materials synced up in unity :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Looks great pretty clean also which is good.

a few things I see that might help out.

1- I see grayscale conversion nodes attached several times might want to do that earlier along the graph or as early as the bitmap it self turn those to gray scale since they seem gray anyway....

Yeah Im starting to learn how to be more efficient thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I went to save my sbs file and shortly after it saved I got a blue screen of death and now the file wont open :(

Thankfully I output the bitmap files just shortly before that so I have them and a slightly broken backup where its lots my model and some bitmaps I baked from it...
  • Uzziel
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah Im starting to learn how to be more efficient thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I went to save my sbs file and shortly after it saved I got a blue screen of death and now the file wont open :(

Thankfully I output the bitmap files just shortly before that so I have them and a slightly broken backup where its lots my model and some bitmaps I baked from it...

Hi Ged, you should have a ".autosave" folder at the same location that your original sbs file. There is (by default) an automatic autosave each 5 minutes (you can also change it in Tools=>Preferences=>Project).
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Uzziel wrote: »
    Hi Ged, you should have a ".autosave" folder at the same location that your original sbs file. There is (by default) an automatic autosave each 5 minutes (you can also change it in Tools=>Preferences=>Project).

yeah I found the autosave but for some reason it has lost the baked maps and the model from the autosave, when I load the graphs theres loads of black where the maps should be and when I drag in the model nothing appears.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    yeah I found the autosave but for some reason it has lost the baked maps and the model from the autosave, when I load the graphs theres loads of black where the maps should be and when I drag in the model nothing appears.

Make sure you copy the autosaved file along with its resources folder in the same folder as your original file before openeing it, or you may end up with broken references.
  • kenji101
    My first post, :P

@jerc, are you part of SD team?

Could anyone post a graph for world space normal map, or at least give a hint so i can make one.
    In case your wondering i need it for a template, manually baking it from model is quite time consuming especially when you have alot of maps.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Make sure you copy the autosaved file along with its resources folder in the same folder as your original file before openeing it, or you may end up with broken references.

aha! thanks that fixed it! :D
    still working on lighting it but the results look great in toolbag so far!

camera_screenshots2.jpg
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Any thoughts on making JPEG the default compression option? Right now it seems like you'd have to set it to JPG 95% of the time...

Yes, we've indeed thought about that. We'll probably do that for resources which are not 16bit per channel and/or color.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    aha! thanks that fixed it! :D
    still working on lighting it but the results look great in toolbag so far!

That is looking awesome Ged.

Small suggestions add some hair line scratches and increase the roughness a tad more so the contrast between cleaner and dusty rusty is more apparent. Looks awesome keep up the great work.
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    That is looking awesome Ged.

Small suggestions add some hair line scratches and increase the roughness a tad more so the contrast between cleaner and dusty rusty is more apparent. Looks awesome keep up the great work.

Great stuff Ged

Not sure what rendering is like in marmoset but are you using a linear workflow. Looking a tad flat at the mo? Keep it up
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any gamma corrective or srgb nodes in sd?
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Great stuff Ged

Not sure what rendering is like in marmoset but are you using a linear workflow. Looking a tad flat at the mo? Keep it up

marmoset toolbag may be set to linear gamma…not sure. I think its just a rather bright hdr environment and the white plane making it flat.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any gamma corrective or srgb nodes in sd?

There is no native node to handle such gamma conversions, but you can do it yourself with a level node.

-To get an sRGB conversion (linear with power of 2.2) you just need to change the mid point value of you level point. Use a value of 0.575.

-To get a linear conversion (sRGB with a power of 0.4545), also change the mid point value. use a value of 0.425.

I made some custom filters that you can add to you library if you prefer :

Download : http://www.froyok.fr/Substance/Packages/GammaConversion.sbs

GammaConversion.jpg
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Your the man froyok. Cheers again mate
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i have a quick question, i have been evaluating substance at work, and i am wondering if i can change the order of the outputs when published? i want the outputs to be in a specific order, like 1,2,3,4, but after i publish when opened in player, i get outputs that are like 3,1,4,2. i notice i can change the order in the base parameters, but this does not change the order on the published substance.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yep, go in your graph properties, and at the very bottom, you will see a list of your inputs and outputs. You can reorder them through drag and drop there.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, go in your graph properties, and at the very bottom, you will see a list of your inputs and outputs. You can reorder them through drag and drop there.

Hmmm, maybe i am doing it wrong, here is a screen shot of what is going on.

order.jpg