Home General Discussion

What is the most used 3d software?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
sergio polycounter lvl 7
I saw a old post from 2010 that revealing this

media_httpcgeniecomim_jxamm-scaled500.png

in this page
http://halfblog.net/2010/02/24/3ds-max-vs-blender-revealing-results-of-a-cg-software-user-survey/

maybe in the last years something changed?
Do you know a site that make this kind of official worldwide statics?
what you think?

thanks

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    That's true for me. 3ds Max all day erry day.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    What about using multiple tools ?

ZB + Maya + 3D Coat + Topogun + Toolbag + etc etc etc
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Where's the percentage for Milkshape...?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    from my experience with clients, maya and max are pretty much equal in distribution. zbrush is in pretty much every character production for sculpting. Modo catches up in the modelling department but the final exports are usually from either max or maya.
    of course there are exceptions
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    what neox said. our clients mostly use maya and max. PS and ZBrush are a must. Mari and Mudbox are not entirely uncommon. Behind requests for Mari seem to be shops that want us to use Substance and Houdini. i.e. not a whole lot yet.
    A lot of other software we can pick ourselves and there we stick to dDo/nDo, xNormal, 3D Coat. We had some Topogun licenses but I think the user-base is dwindling. Stock engines are clearly: Unity and Unreal 4 / Unreal 3.

And once a year a Japanese client comes asking if we use XSI :) (but that'll stop soon hehe)
  • Ispheria
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    Lest see...
    XSI I'm guess isn't even on the charts anymore.
    Modo has been picking up popularity
    With all the indie devs on a tight budget these days, I wouldn't be surprised if Blender has picked up popularity
    and I'm pretty sure that more people are starting out with Maya these days than 3DS Max.

So I'm guessing it's something like 35% for Maya and Max, 10% for blender and Modo.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe someone should set up a poll. I for one would be mildly interested in the results.
  • sergio
    Offline / Send Message
    sergio polycounter lvl 7
    Where's the percentage for Milkshape...?
    I think milkshape was dead before 2010.

I forgot to say before, i am talking about the generalist tools.
    I agree with you Isperia, seams that autodesk is more focused on Maya.
    But 3d max is still very nice tool.
    Blender improve a lot in the last years.

I prefer modelling and sculpting everything in Blender and Zbrush then use Maya for the final.
    Photoshop and Substance for painting.

Would be nice to see a an update big, official static from all users in the world.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    those numbers are from the whole market... a lot of archviz and idustrial design involved... but yes max and maya are the big players... there are roughly 1mio max lics out there...
  • sergio
    Offline / Send Message
    sergio polycounter lvl 7
  • sergio
    Offline / Send Message
    sergio polycounter lvl 7
    oglu wrote: »
    those numbers are from the whole market... a lot of archviz and idustrial design involved... but yes max and maya are the big players... there are roughly 1mio max lics out there...

The Whole market will be more correct, maybe is the answer for the big slice of 3d max.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Couple years ago I worked for renderfarm company. 90-92% of the jobs were from 3ds Max. There was Maya too, but not much more than Modo. And yeah, those were mostly archviz jobs.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Most game companies are old and conservative, they still use 3DS Max and Maya. However...

Modern studios might prefer to use...
    - Modo for modeling
    - ZBrush for sculpting
    - Maya for 3D animation/rigging

And if the Foundry really pushes for it, Modo could dominate all 3.

specialized apps are great for the individual working with them, but it gets more ugly for the studio. more licenses, more vendors, more APIs to learn for the pipeline guys, more file interchange issues, more training required for newcomers.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Most game companies are old and conservative, they still use 3DS Max and Maya. However...

Modern studios might prefer to use...

- Maya for 3D animation/rigging

o_O

has nothing to do with being conservative, most studios we worked with allow their artists to do there models in whatever app they prefer, however the whole pipeline orbits around one tool, exporters, animation system, tangentbase for normalmaps whatever. And those tools are still the ones they have their proven pipelines for.
    And it's not like zbrush is the fresh startup thing, it's around for more than 10 years now, one could call using it conservative, given how old the industry is.