BARBEQUE!!!

53983dd5.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    >Make over the top Animu characters, get told Japanese industry is dead.
    >Make over the top JPop characters, get told they are sexist and Japan has a problem.
    >Make over the top HugoBoss characters, get told yaoi fanservice and that it's cheap demographic.

The hell do people want exactly?
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    SE also showed off the FF Type-0 HD remake trailer and FF:E got a new trailer also today. I heard Type-0 was pretty average but haven't tried it myself, but FF:E looks like a lot of fun, hoping it gets localized.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU9YT4DdyMo"]??????????????????????TGS2014 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bedq4m8a_8U"]Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Trailer (TGS 2014) (PS4/Xbox One) - YouTube[/ame]

Ace-Angel wrote: »
    >Make over the top JPop characters, get told they are sexist and Japan has a problem.
    >Make over the top HugoBoss characters, get told yaoi fanservice and that it's cheap demographic.

People just want to complain, it happens to every game Japanese or not, it's a part of being a gamer in 2014. Check out any video uploaded to the official CoD youtube channel.

"CoD is the same shit every year!" Then when CoD finally changes completely you see the same people saying "It's too different, this isn't CoD anymore!"

I guess part of being a game developer goes to understanding that you can't please everybody. All I know is, with the announcements made at E3 and TGS this year, I'm glad to be a gamer and can't wait to try out all the amazing looking games. Disgaea 5, Persona 5, FFXV, KH3, Bloodborne, Bravely Second, The Evil Within, etc. All I need now is for Atlus to announce SMT5 tomorrow and I can die happily (after playing all of this stuff, of course!)
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    The problem is the series has become crappy all show no content Otaku bait.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Mstankow wrote: »
    The problem is the series has become crappy all show no content Otaku bait.

Was going to ask you to elaborate on this but instead I did what any reasonable forum-goer would do, and checked post history:
    ...Story/plot is trash but that is a given with any fantasy RPG. I played it for probably 30 hours the last two days.
    Well videogames in general have very bad stories. Even the most well regarded stories in games are still not that great. Like Portal 2 has one of the best stories for a videogame but it still is not that great of one. It just that people are really bad at telling stories in games and most times they rely too heavily on tropes and lore. RPGs are especially bad in that department.

I don't think the FF series is for you, mate.

Part of me gets depressed reading game critiques from game developers, seems like many have forgotten how to play a game for what it is and have fun. "Oh fuck the characters in this game are so lame, j-pop stars running and joking and bbqing, that's not FF." Yeah, nevermind that 90% of character activity in past FF games was them standing in place in the environment waiting for you to talk to them so they could repeat the same bit of dialogue over and over. Now that we see them actually doing something, it gives us something to complain about. :poly142:
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    No Final Fantasy is the series for me but the true sequel in the series is Bravely Second. There was something special about FF 4-10 where I'd put over a hundred hours in each one. Even with the really weird/bad design decisions of Bravely Default, I still had way more fun with that game than I did with recent Final Fantasy installments.
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    CANT WAIT! I'm going to buy 1 million copies!!!!
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth

dunno media is suggesting that every character should be female, gay and probably black.

at least thats what it seems like...
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12

baldguys.png :thumbup:
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Goeddy wrote: »
    dunno media is suggesting that every character should be female, gay and probably black.

at least thats what it seems like...

OH NOES THE MEDIA

I heard they want to make you gay marry as well.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Aw, I am so torn on this... On one hand, I find the overall look and feel to be gorgeous, with great color choices and an definite unique style to it all ... but on the other hand, watching the fast paced-battle videos ironically makes me want to take a nap (as in, I am feeling tired just imagining myself playing them).

It's not that it's bad, "not FF" or anything of the like (I have zero attachement to one style of combat or another, even tho I felt like the semi-realtime style of FFXXII and Vagrant Story worked really well), but I think I personally have an issue with games like this where fast-paced combat sequences requiring to endlessly spin the camera around alternate with heavily scripted fixed camera cutscenes.

For some reason, switching from one to the other over and over again feels very disjointed, and I am getting the impression that what was so great about earlier sprite-based FFs was the strong visual continuity between combat and story moments - a continuity getting gradually thinned down with each step forward in terms of visual fidelity.

Maybe the one thing that was so nice about FF7 to 12 was the way the story was not only delivered through cutscenes but also thanks to non-voiced, textbox-based dialogues which seem to have been completely removed here.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Why not go the create-a-character route? In FF12 the kid you start out as, who I thought was the main character, is such a blank slate non character they could have easily let the player customize their own avatar.

The fact that the FF fanbase is always pining for a return to FF7 sort of shoots down the idea that they want short haired white guys. Swapping out the characters from the Yakuza series would be an improvement!
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    A new video was posted, I don't speak Japanese but it looks like they're trying focus on showing off the dodge system, the amazing graphics, and they are probably detailing the combat mechanics.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOqnITb9Bnw"]Final Fantasy XV - TGS 2014 Gameplay Demo HQ (1080p) - YouTube[/ame]

I love how basically everything changes in some way when it starts raining. It seems like the devs are trying to put emphasis on the return of true open world gameplay since every FF game last generation lacked that and people complained about it.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    For your interest, the game was in developpement since 2006 and it was called Final Fantasy versus 13. It was supposed to be a parallel title developped with FF 13.

Both games were supposed to be set in the same universe.
    Thing is, after the completion of FF 13, the development of versus 13 went disatrous.

The games went along many changes on its setting, story and characters.

At one point, square enix even annoucned the game would be cancelled.

Take a look on how the game progressed through time, THE PROTAGONIST HAS SUBTLE BUT DRASTIC CHANGES IN HIS APPEARANCES.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACSpgGAjGfM

Another point is of course, before the game was set to be the next main ff title, it was supposed to be on ps3. Look at the graphic changes!

final-fantasy-versus-13.jpg

I actually thought this was pretty!

Now:

final-fantasy-15-ps4.png

Again:

FinalFantasyVersusXIII_combat_3.jpg

Then:

final-fantasy-15-xbox-one.jpg

Wow:

final-fantasy-versus-13-stella.png

Even wower

final-fantasy-15.png
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    The graphics are incredible, the only thing that bothers me is the character designs. It's that same old tired Nomura look. He does the same thing in every game, and I'm surpised people are still eating it up. His work was good in 7-10 but even in FFX it it was starting to get a tad ridiculous, now it's just cringe worthy.

HGY1A.jpg

tumblr_mc5nxiRu941qkrkf9o1_1280.png
  • Blond
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    At least the FFXV characters don't have the 'gayest shorts' lol
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    The graphics are incredible, the only thing that bothers me is the character designs. It's that same old tired Nomura look. He does the same thing in every game, and I'm surpised people are still eating it up. His work was good in 7-10 but even in FFX it it was starting to get a tad ridiculous, now it's just cringe worthy.

Ok, I'll have to agree with you. I used to really like his work when I was a teen but now, I do admit it's designs are ridiculous.

His character's looks have always been defined more on aesthitical look than functional...
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Am I mistaken in saying Nomura didn't actually design the character outfits in this game? I thought I'd read that he came up with sort of a base placeholder design, but that a Japanese clothing brand actually designed the outfits (and even made a real-life version of some of them, for artists to see).
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Am I mistaken in saying Nomura didn't actually design the character outfits in this game? I thought I'd read that he came up with sort of a base placeholder design, but that a Japanese clothing brand actually designed the outfits (and even made a real-life version of some of them, for artists to see).

Well it literally says on the site 'main character design: tetsuya nomura' http://www.jp.square-enix.com/ff15/

But it seems he is collaborating with another guy, Roberto Ferrari, but information on him seems to be sparse.

edit: you are right

'noctis's clothing is designed by Hiromu Takahara, creative director of the Japanese designer clothing label Roen.' link

So, whatever that means.
  • skankerzero
    I like how none of their hair gets wet.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JvC12_wMo8"]Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Final Fantasy 15 TGS 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

full gameplay demo
  • Malus
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Hazardous wrote: »
    baldguys.png :thumbup:

lol, snap!!
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why not go the create-a-character route? In FF12 the kid you start out as, who I thought was the main character, is such a blank slate non character they could have easily let the player customize their own avatar.

The fact that the FF fanbase is always pining for a return to FF7 sort of shoots down the idea that they want short haired white guys. Swapping out the characters from the Yakuza series would be an improvement!

>Year 20XX
    >Make updated FF7, get told SE is trying to be Nintendo
    >Make create your character, get told this isn't HL2 and that mute characters have no place in this age
    >Add voice with advanced tone changing system, get told cheap technology is doing VA work
    >Mark perfect FF game, get told they are setting the standard for the Indie scene too high
  • throttlekitty
    Since we're jumping all over what they're working on, I'd really like to see Yoshitaka Amano back on character design.
  • Lazar
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazar polycounter lvl 3
    Am I the only one who enjoys the character design as far as the clothing is concerned? I'm a huge fan of high fashion, and I think they nailed it. I really dig what they're sporting. I can understand why some people may find it weird though, it's not something you're realistically supposed to wear.
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Lazar wrote: »
    Am I the only one who enjoys the character design as far as the clothing is concerned? I'm a huge fan of high fashion, and I think they nailed it. I really dig what they're sporting. I can understand why some people may find it weird though, it's not something you're realistically supposed to wear.

I honestly enjoy them all around. The fashion is, especially this time, really cool and i absolutly have no problem with androgynus long haired characters. It still is a japanese game and fashion for men, make up for men and the likes are just common day thing there. Japanese audiences likes this as tons of anime, manga, video games, Music (above all MUSIC), TV Drama and movies proof. The "dreamy" look is just rather popular, so why should a japanese game add bald haired dudes? Iam personally very glad that SE keeps on with insane hair styles and fashion victim characters (eventhough iam not crazy about a lot of the designs in older games, especially 10, thought tidus was just a bit of a mess). Also think we don't need a 7 remake. The nostalgia today carries a lot of the success of 7. The crappy Midi music, the prerendered backgrounds all of that is 7. Iam not sure that it would really feel the same with a total overhaul. SE should concentrate on new entries.

I quite liked the trailer and thought it seems like they are going a route with trying to establish Kinship between the main cast (i guess the prince and his bodyguards or smth), by making them have some random talks and quick lines (atleast the trailer seemed like this). A nice change from XIII where all the main cast seemed to hate each other and every line of dialogue was just spouting exposition. Also love the car design.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    edit: wrong thread
  • skankerzero
    I think the clothing and look was fine back in 2005 for Advent Children or back in 2002 in Kingdom Hearts.

it's just that they've done the 'JRock stars in black clothing' aesthetic many times before. I just feel like they can be more creative like FF13 or 9.

Still though, this is the first FF game I've wanted to play since 8. If anything just for what looks like a more open world and combat system. Hopefully it will play the way I hope it does.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Guis. Come on. This is gonna be sick.

ibcilLaKCmWpxT.gif
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Some Statements from a Game Informer Interview with Tabata:
    On The Length Of Episode Duscae:
    If you just play straight through the story, it’s about one hour worth of gameplay. If you go and explore the world map or go into a dungeon, it would be somewhere upwards of three to four hours.
    On FF XV’s Progress:
    In terms of development, about 50 to 60 percent of the game is complete. We kind of started from the beginning of the game, so the first part is more complete than the others.
    On The Open World:
    Not literally everything is open world, but it is pretty vast, and you will be able to freely explore. You may have noticed that they’re traveling in a car. You can technically walk around the world, but we recommend using a vehicle, and it’ll be a journey driving through the continent.
    On Release Dates:
    During the “Versus era” – though it might be weird to refer to it that way – we weren’t able to reveal any information on release timing because that was a project in which we had to overcome so many different problems that arose. Unfortunately, while we were trying to work through the issues, the timing never matched. But about two years ago, when I officially joined the project, we did a pretty major directional change when we decided not to go with the previous generation. I also had to talk with Nomura-san about the direction FF XV is going to take. Unfortunately, it’s still going to take a while, but I’m hoping people will reset their timers from when I joined the team and restart the count from there.
    Full: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/final_fantasy_xv/b/playstation4/archive/2014/09/21/tabata-interview-final-fantasy-xv.aspx

I guess we won't see this game earlier than Christmas 2015 (which would be tough) or spring 2016.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    That is my backgorund image now :D

newstella.jpg

Well it sucks to be a PC gamer tough. Maybe need to save some money to get a PS4
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    I could imagine that they are going to change their mind about that, considering their sudden interest in PC by releasing FFXIII on Steam...maybe thats going to be kind of a test for a modern FF on PC. I really am hard pushed to believe the last word is spoken in that matter.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    ErichWK wrote: »

ibcilLaKCmWpxT.gif
    This gif pretty much summarizes my whole problem with the direction of the main FF series, the games have become way too corny and over-the-top for me.

Seeing these trailers just gives me traumatic flashbacks of all the cringing I did playing FF13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1y_f_ynX54&feature=player_detailpage#t=268s
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth

ibcilLaKCmWpxT.gif

you know that this is a quicktime event at best, if not just a cutscene.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    you know that this is a quicktime event at best, if not just a cutscene.

Well yes. OF COURSE. But It's still over the top and zany, and I love that in my games.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14

ibcilLaKCmWpxT.gif

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JvC12_wMo8"]Final Fantasy XV Gameplay Final Fantasy 15 TGS 2014 - YouTube[/ame] I posted on the previous page but it fall in the bottom of the page so hopefully it being seen here
  • skankerzero
    This gif pretty much summarizes my whole problem with the direction of the main FF series, the games have become way too corny and over-the-top for me.[/url]

yes, because 'over the top' and 'corny' things have never happened in a Final Fantasy game before.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYhKuzsTq4"]Final Fantasy 6 - Sabin Suplexes a Train to Death - YouTube[/ame]

*insert any Chocobo video here*
    *insert any Cactar video here*
    *insert any Tonberry video here*
    *insert Cloud dressing like a woman here*
    etc
    etc
    etc
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah, skankerzero hit the nail on the head... FF has always been completely over the top, if you haven't seen that yet then you've probably been playing a different series without realising it.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    yes, because 'over the top' and 'corny' things have never happened in a Final Fantasy game before.

Final Fantasy 6 - Sabin Suplexes a Train to Death - YouTube

etc
    etc
    etc
    At what point did I say they "never happened"? Anyway I knew this was coming, fortunately when I played FF6 I never suplex'd the train so that really had no impact on my experience. I didn't even find out it was possible until a year ago.

FF has always had comic relief and lighthearted elements, just as most games do. However seems to be increasingly becoming a primary focus of the games in a way that's much more similar to Bayonetta or DMC, while also expecting you to somehow take the game's story seriously at the same time.

There's also some benefit to forcing your player to read the text. Final Fantasy has never had particularly amazing storylines, but at least they were not simultaneously being bogged down by bad voice acting and badly delivered jokes.
  • skankerzero
    At what point did I say they "never happened"? Anyway I knew this was coming, fortunately when I played FF6 I never suplex'd the train so that really had no impact on my experience. I didn't even find out it was possible until a year ago.

FF has always had comic relief and lighthearted elements, just as most games do. However seems to be increasingly becoming a primary focus of the games in a way that's much more similar to Bayonetta or DMC, while also expecting you to somehow take the game's story seriously at the same time.

There's also some benefit to forcing your player to read the text. Final Fantasy has never had particularly amazing storylines, but at least they were not simultaneously being bogged down by bad voice acting and badly delivered jokes.

I think you're looking at it from an incorrect angle. It's not that FF has become more corny or over the top, it's that the art direction and rendering has become more realistic and thus makes that stuff stand out more.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5

Imo, the difference is the series has never approached this kind of, forgive me, graphical realism before. To compare this to sprites or blocky polygons from the PS1 days is a bit apples and oranges. It's almost a different medium now.

edit: beat me to it, late reply.
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I think you're looking at it from an incorrect angle. It's not that FF has become more corny or over the top, it's that the art direction and rendering has become more realistic and thus makes that stuff stand out more.
    I agree but that's much in the same vein as my point about reading the dialogue vs. hearing it. I'd compare FF almost to a "Book to Movie" adaptation that didn't quite make the transition to film well.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator

Final Fantasy 6 - Sabin Suplexes a Train to Death - YouTube

etc
    etc
    etc

I thought the fight was hilarious
    But the item they get at the end makes it even better

"Got Tent x1"

Can anyone explain me the setting of these games ? I picked up 13 and nothing made any sense at all. Its like they make random stuff, and everything is different. Is there a story that drags through the series with a consistent universe or is it just random ?

The new one looks pretty impressive in real time i have to say tho
  • skankerzero
    Shrike wrote: »
    I thought the fight was hilarious
    But the item they get at the end makes it even better

"Got Tent x1"

Can anyone explain me the setting of these games ? I picked up 13 and nothing made any sense at all. Its like they make random stuff, and everything is different. Is there a story that drags through the series with a consistent universe or is it just random ?

The new one looks pretty impressive in real time i have to say tho

None of them outside of direct sequels are in any continuity with each other. Most of the stories for them are crap. Usually they involve a reluctant hero with a large sword that comes across a damsel and goes on an adventure to save the earth. Typical heroes journey.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    None of them outside of direct sequels are in any continuity with each other. Most of the stories for them are crap. Usually they involve a reluctant hero with a large sword that comes across a damsel and goes on an adventure to save the earth. Typical heroes journey.

there is however, one thing that links all of the final fantasy "worlds" together in some way:
    http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Crystal_(Term)
  • skankerzero
    there is however, one thing that links all of the final fantasy "worlds" together in some way:
    http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Crystal_(Term)

and man, is that ever a weak, generic link.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for sure, but it's still there :P

isn't it how Dissidia happens as well?