Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Dklang
    exYso8G.jpg

I may be overthinking this one, but whats the best way to model padded objects such as the image above? Especially a very soft quilted walls and such. can it be modeled or leave the details in the texturing?
  • jakayaki
    Offline / Send Message
    jakayaki polycounter lvl 9
    3DkaEjX.jpg

Hey guys, I was just wondering if this concept was given to you and you had to model this bookshelf, how would you approach modelling the details such as the woman and the leaves patterns? Thanks in advance!
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    aveave wrote: »
    3DkaEjX.jpg

Hey guys, I was just wondering if this concept was given to you and you had to model this bookshelf, how would you approach modelling the details such as the woman and the leaves patterns? Thanks in advance!

I would do a blockout, for the shelve itself, for the details too, and import for sculpt where projection master and layers are the big avantages in Zbrush, or you can either model de details and do some kitbash (not for the statue).
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    I may be overthinking this one, but whats the best way to model padded objects such as the image above? Especially a very soft quilted walls and such. can it be modeled or leave the details in the texturing?
    Maybe put the details in normal or displacement slot? or use a pattern in Zbrush to apply a tileable alpha.

this is possible but would require a certain amount of time if you want to model it in your 3d app.
  • zhokz
    Offline / Send Message
    zhokz polycounter lvl 2
    Hello everyone. I'm a new in 3D. Could anyone help to create a hole in a cylinder. It's difficult for me because a hole has a special form. It's a rhombus. As you can see I have some pinches. PCkpI-AZthg.jpg
    gX9OAooWSK8.jpg
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    zhokz wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm a new in 3D. Could anyone help to create a hole in a cylinder. It's difficult for me because a hole has a special form. It's a rhombus. As you can see I have some pinches. PCkpI-AZthg.jpg
    gX9OAooWSK8.jpg

In theory what you have here is correct, and you can keep it like that by doing some manual adjustments.

You can add more geo and sides on this cylinder and work your way up from there too. ALSO, booleans are a fast way to buildup these shapes!
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    just to demonstrate :

1430881494-rahh.png
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    heres what i would do that would make a cleaner and overall easier to work with mesh :

Cilinder_01.jpg
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Less is more :) Easier to work with, lower polycount (scenes don't become bogged down).

224b71660c.jpg

8ba22f444f.jpg
  • Xizu
    oQ76zWx.gif

On this mag I have a lot of close, thin extrusions and edges which give me quite sharp edges when subdivided, so I fear it will not bake well (the edges look fairly weak from about 20 cm away), yet at the same time it isn't possible to make them softer since the geometry around is too close.

What to do in situations like this? Is it one of those worst case scenarios and you just have to hope the normal map picks up a little bit of it?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this is why you shouldnt always model zoomed in because when you zoom out you see its too aliased, i drew an edge flow that would help you out with that and you could tighten the edgeloops to your liking :

shot_150506_170839.png?dl=0
  • zhokz
    Offline / Send Message
    zhokz polycounter lvl 2
    BIG THANKS EVERYONE. I love this site.
  • WaYWO
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Xizu wrote: »
    oQ76zWx.gif

On this mag I have a lot of close, thin extrusions and edges which give me quite sharp edges when subdivided, so I fear it will not bake well (the edges look fairly weak from about 20 cm away), yet at the same time it isn't possible to make them softer since the geometry around is too close.

What to do in situations like this? Is it one of those worst case scenarios and you just have to hope the normal map picks up a little bit of it?

If its gonna be seen from a FPS view, yeah its fine though.

If it is TPS view, go delete some of these loops, without worried about the space between each creases(for the ones that has short space)...
    Joao Sapiro heres what i would do that would make a cleaner and overall easier to work with mesh :

Cilinder_01.jpg

Quite a nice way to do it, thanks :D
  • Valun
    Thought this might fit in here quite well!
    First of all, thanks to all people helping out in here. So much knowledge!:)

And now towards my problem:
    I'm trying to model this hard surface thing for practice:
    a7be1169229ff93194900c9abc20d46b.jpg

But I have no idea how to achieve this bend grid with all the tiny holes.
    Any ideas how that can be easily achieved?

Here's what I have so far!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/plwciidkzcujn5i/Screw_tank_holes.PNG?dl=0

Thanks a lot!
  • RafaelL
    Hey guys, thanks for all the work you're doing in here. I'm still pretty new to SubD modeling, but I'm much more capable now than I once was, and a lot of the credit goes to this forum. As a bonus, I've been able to help other noobs with some common modeling issues.

That said, I keep running into a form that I find problematic, or at least I'm unsure how to handle it.

The shape is basically a smoothed cube that needs a square shape with rounded corners cut out of it. Hopefully the images communicate the issue.

How would you handle this?

post-172435-0-70678500-1431016412.jpg

post-172435-0-52041100-1431011858.jpg

Maybe like this?
    post-172435-0-62727100-1431016516.jpg

Thanks in advance!
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    You just need more sides on the cylindrical bit

hF4jG.png

hF4q6.png
  • RafaelL
    Had a feeling it might have something to do with that. Really need to internalize that whole establish the curvature bit. :p

Thanks Dan!
  • Steppenwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Valun wrote: »

NDO/Photoshop. Can be done in 3D for sure. Model it straight then bend it but you end up with a very dense mesh and adding such fine details in Photoshop is definitely faster aswell.
  • WarrenM
    Holes in bent surfaces is, like, half this thread.
  • Valun
    Steppenwolf: Thanks man! Yeah might be the best bet. Especially as I'm aiming towards the concept area with 3D anyways. :)
    WarrenM: Which still leaves 107 pages to look at. Sorry that I didn't get around it :v
    Will browse through the pages in the upcoming days though.
  • WarrenM
    Sure, but the information is there. It's fairly unproductive to keep posting the same question that's been answered several times just because someone doesn't want to dig through this thread.

Someone SHOULD distill the key things into the first post tho. Maybe with links to the relevant pages in the thread. Someone should ...
  • Immanu'EL Segol
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Valun wrote: »
    Thought this might fit in here quite well!
    First of all, thanks to all people helping out in here. So much knowledge!:)

Here's what I have so far!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/plwciidkzcujn5i/Screw_tank_holes.PNG?dl=0

Thanks a lot!

If that's for a game you might be better just using an alpha for the grid part anyway - no need to model it? :)
  • stahl
    this one is supposed to be used for subsurfing afterwards, so how do i add an edge loop to this without breaking the lighting on the whole cylinder ?

d6fioID.png

s8s2gYN.png

UeSVnkp.png
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    stahl wrote: »
    this one is supposed to be used for subsurfing afterwards, so how do i add an edge loop to this without breaking the lighting on the whole cylinder ?

d6fioID.png

s8s2gYN.png

UeSVnkp.png

You need more sides in the cylinder. I'd say maybe twice as many.

Basically your cylinder will break because when you apply the smoothing, the edge loops you put in place to hold that shape will pinch the cylinder because they will have a large influence on the topology. The more sides you have in the cylinder to start with, the less influence on the cylinder's topology the control loops you put in for smoothing will have.
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with 64 sides. I tend to start with powers of two because they always half cleanly when you remove loops to make the low poly

hGtM6.png

hGtNf.png
  • stahl
    thanks for the fast reply, this was very helpful.

i guessed it would be only possible with a highpoly cylinder. i use blender btw. im not very good with highpolies, so i tend to use very sharp edges to not get normal bakes full of errors.

still needing a lot of practice in the normals department...
  • Drowshall
    I'm hoping someone could help me figure out a method of making a violin head scroll?
    44-scroll-threequarterview.jpg

I've been attempting different methods over the past couple day but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Drowshall wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone could help me figure out a method of making a violin head scroll?
    I've been attempting different methods over the past couple day but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Do you have any attempts to show? However I'd go about it step-by-step. Begin by making the main block-out for the body of the scroll, don't think about cutting in holes yet. Get it to smooth nicely and then manually model the scroll, it's not really something you can do with modifiers, at-least not if you want it to be connected on each twist.

44-scroll-threequarterview.jpg
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    I was recently at a violin school for making and managed to snap some images from a blueprint sheet. Some of these images can't be found online so grab em while you can :) Enjoy!

I've also included a bunch of other material to aid in modelling, hope it helps. Wire-frames are not mine, so credits to whoever made them (Sorry don't know the name).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5xd238gh02ob9kp/AAC-uiLTMDjJ8BHT7DKfTXdKa?dl=0

There's also a detailed diagram of the scroll which I took a picture of...
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Shinigami wrote: »

is it done by pushing and pulling the vertices technique? how long did it take to complete this model?
  • Maelstrom7A
    Offline / Send Message
    Maelstrom7A polycounter lvl 2
    Hi, I've been reading this thread daily. Thanks to everybody who is helping out.
    My question is about this model, some sort of cut-out of a cylinder, and the loops I highlighted in red. In the pic above the loops are evenly spaced, and I got pinching. So I tried to space them out (pic below) and I still get some pinching. How should I go about it? Thanks.
    [IMG][/img]bVcodpZ.jpg
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not just do this, delete the yellow line.

Connect the corner to the adjacent corner:
    bVcodpZ.jpg

Then push the inside corner slightly in to reduce any flaring that might occur from pinching.
  • Maelstrom7A
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Cookedpeanut. Even with two loops instead of three, the problem persisted; there was still that artifact caused by the loops being too close together. Sometimes this happens so I decided to stop the loops altogether with a quad, and have a single loop running around the model, which solved everything. In the pic above the artifact is still visible, below is the definitive solution with the stopping poly marked in red.

[IMG][/img]RIalhD6.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 13
    How would you model the pattern on a handle like this? Should I just use a heightmap instead or is there a simple way to do it "properly"?
    swed1896wb.jpg
  • nickw
    Offline / Send Message
    nickw polycounter lvl 6
    I cant find the original tutorial but the easiest way to do this is by un-subdividing a cylinder and then insetting the faces4dxmNGl.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That pattern is called knurling btw.
  • Bummer6
    Offline / Send Message
    nickw wrote: »
    I cant find the original tutorial but the easiest way to do this is by un-subdividing a cylinder and then insetting the faces

I don't know what software you're using, but to my knowledge there is no "unsubdivide" tool in Maya, which is the software I'm using. Is there a way to do the same thing in Maya without too much hassle? I could probably do it by subdividing a plane, rotating it 45 degrees, removing the corners and use a bend deformer to curve it into a cylinder... But that seems like a lot of work for something so simple.
  • nickw
    Offline / Send Message
    nickw polycounter lvl 6
    Im using blender but the original tutorial was using max or maya
    I found this thread when i searched for knurling hopefully that helps
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2091989&highlight=knurling#post2091989
    I take a cylinder and give it a very deliberate number of edges, depending on the size of the knurling I want and add an equal number of height segments so I have even quads. After that I tesselate (same effect can be achieved by doing an inset by face and welding the result), at this point the graphite tools OR polyboost pre max 2010 come in handy. Select one of the diagonal edges inside a quad and under modify selection hit "select similar" you'll now have all the diagonal edges selected, then you can use an extrude and you'll have your knurling.
  • Maelstrom7A
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 wrote: »
    I don't know what software you're using, but to my knowledge there is no "unsubdivide" tool in Maya, which is the software I'm using. Is there a way to do the same thing in Maya without too much hassle? I could probably do it by subdividing a plane, rotating it 45 degrees, removing the corners and use a bend deformer to curve it into a cylinder... But that seems like a lot of work for something so simple.

This is an old video about how to do it in maya:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mqma1y1rzw[/ame]

Another pic for future reference about how to knurl in max:
    P0p2YB9.jpg
  • Maelstrom7A
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is my attempt at doing this shape, two C's intersecting. I boolean'd two toruses, flattened what needed to be flat and fixed everything by pulling vertices and cutting edges.
    I think the result is mediocre at best. There are no major artifacts and even no triangles at all but I feel this wasn't the right way to do it. Topology is all over the place. At the bottom of the pic you can see a detail of the topology and how I stopped the loops. I already shown this in the previous page and it looks ok artifact-wise, but I still wonder if there was a better way of doing this. Support loops are the bane of my existence, I just don't get them.

How would you guys have done this?

nmFtpUa.jpg
  • Bummer6
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an old video about how to do it in maya:
    Another pic for future reference about how to knurl in max:

Thank you very, very much for the detailed and in-depth tutorials.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    So this is my attempt at doing this shape, two C's intersecting. I boolean'd two toruses, flattened what needed to be flat and fixed everything by pulling vertices and cutting edges.
    I think the result is mediocre at best. There are no major artifacts and even no triangles at all but I feel this wasn't the right way to do it. Topology is all over the place. At the bottom of the pic you can see a detail of the topology and how I stopped the loops. I already shown this in the previous page and it looks ok artifact-wise, but I still wonder if there was a better way of doing this. Support loops are the bane of my existence, I just don't get them.

How would you guys have done this?

[geo]http://i.imgur.com/nmFtpUa.jpg[/geo]

Looks fine to me. If it smooths correctly, roll with it. If anything, I would use less geo so you could maintain wider edges.
  • Long Nange
    Offline / Send Message
    Long Nange polycounter lvl 7
    Any ideas how to create surface like that?

sightset-2_2191_detail.jpg
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Long Nange wrote: »
    Any ideas how to create surface like that?

sightset-2_2191_detail.jpg

Show us what you have tried and we can help. This thread is filled with all of the shapes and techniques to make this shape.
  • Long Nange
    Offline / Send Message
    Long Nange polycounter lvl 7
    I have something like this, but it looks far away from what i'm trying to get

4rpyJ80.png
  • Dklang
    Q9mwiSF.png

I made this hex thing, but now that i did found it to be too thick and not only that, i found i cant replicate it easily for it to connect together to form a fence or something. Should i start over or there a secret way to do this?

and I watched the knurl video above, i ended up with the same issue, basically going for making the design to using it to be part of a model. I duplicated it but cant merge them togehter without ending up with a fatter squares between:

oICPWXv.png
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    Dklang wrote: »
    and I watched the knurl video above, i ended up with the same issue, basically going for making the design to using it to be part of a model. I duplicated it but cant merge them togehter without ending up with a fatter squares between:

oICPWXv.png

Not trying to advertise or anything, but I made a tutorial on how to make this type of pattern, and how to make it tile correctly.

https://gumroad.com/l/GZCvz
    (Use the promo code "polycount" to get 100% off. 5 uses only!)

Edit:// 2 uses left. I really hope Dklang is one of them, if not, PM me. :)
  • Joe85
    Not sure if this is the right topic for this, but I am new here and not sure where to ask about this.

Started modeling objects for games in my free time many years ago, when normal maps for games was new (2004) and I never understood the high poly to low poly workflow.

I would approach modeling like this:
    (model in this case is a Thompson M1921 weapon)

1. Model poly by poly, no boxmodeling, and no sub-d. Aiming for a reasonable polycount and adding a bit more in spaces where a lower count would be too visible (cylindrical shapes viewed along their longitude axis). Then I would end up with 7000-12000 polies.

2. Unwrap and slap some normal map on it generated from the texture.
    3. Add some AO

Now I am going to guess on how it is supposed to be from what I learned so far:

1. Make high poly model (how many polies? 100k?)
    2. Do not unwrap highpoly because not needed for baking normal. (is this correct?)
    3. Downsize the highpoly model to a lowpoly one. How is this supposed to work? Using some modifier or similar function in a 3d modeling package would not really work if I want precise control over what gets reduced. Or does one model the whole thing from scratch? Which again seems a lot of work to make a few things look a bit rounder. Why not simply go for 20-50% more polies in the first place on areas that need more detail?

As you can see from the text, 3. is the point I dont really understand and would like to ask for advice for.

Example screenshots

He81v7o.jpg
    8yFxmdF.jpg
    nWBfjrt.jpg
    pM1w1zS.jpg
    LZI0FxL.jpg
  • MythN7
    Offline / Send Message
    MythN7 null
    Hello, I cannot start new threads as of yet, so I hope this is a good place to ask my question.
    view?usp=sharing

I am marking out my base topology plan on the physical object I am modeling.
    This is the door to an Audi R8. So the white lines are either heavy curves or creases / open border edges. The red arrows point to where my main edges will be for the topology in question. The yellow highlight is the adjacent component to the red arrows.

I plan to use this as a high poly model in the end via TurboSmooth. So when you have a shape like this, where it needs to be smooth from all angles but starts a gradual crease or sharp curve midway threw the smooth surface, would I be better:
    To use a single edge loop that forks off into a pole forming 2 new paths?
    Or keep it more of a square parallel pattern with the edges that meet at the V point almost on top of each other?

This happens twice on the door, crease starts very soon at the bottom, but halfway down on the top.

Thanks in advance.
    MythN7