Home General Discussion

For teaching purposes can you kindly donate any current gen assets?

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Hi

As always I am on the look out for quality material donated for my students to explore in relation to what we teach. It will give them a chance to pull the product apart and explore them in there own time. While lecturer staff do come up with material and we employ Visiting Lecturer staff to help do the same the more material I can gather the better. An example of this was a recent donation of a character from a film which had 50 plus artists working on a single character. So whether its a Aircraft carrier, Drop Ship, Vehicle, Character, Asset all is welcome. It would be great if the characters or creatures where rigged to give a chance for the technical artists explore the models.

University of Hertfordshire students thread.

Any source file is fine, Maya, Modo, 3DSMax, Marmoset, OBJ, FBX, Unity, UE4, CryEngine and so on. We appreciate you might not have the time clean up the files so we can do that at our end.

Thank you to Rare, Sony, MPC and Framestore for your great files, please keep them coming.

The lecturer staff would like to give some in depth lessons on game topo and compare it to film topo to help show the difference (break down the muscle loops and compare it to more regular quad surface in VFX for higher res skin slide etc).

Feel free to Wetransfer the files to me - n.gallagher "AT" herts.ac.uk

As always we will make sure credits will go to you or your company and explain that any sharing of the files on free or paid websites would be a very stupid move. Feel free to put any disclaimer you want inside the folder.

Would also love to have any links to good quality give away threads like this lot -

Thank you DireWolf - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138341

Thank you Eric Chadwick - http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Character#Character_Examples

Thank you almighty_gir - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138341

Thank you Stromberg90 - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38292

Thank you Frankie - http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/06/24/releasing-the-blacksmith/

Thank you JacqueChoi - http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

Thank you JacqueChoi - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70908

Thank you Shrike - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/

Thanks to EarthQuake -
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/lenscontent.zip
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/divinghelmetcontent03.zip

Replies

• FuriousDark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Universities sure love to ask for handouts but have no problem turning around and charging thousands of dollars for the coursework with little to no support network afterwards.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    We are trying our best, if I could make it free I would.

University of Hertfordshire is in the Top 20 Schools in the world to Study VFX/Animation and Next-Gen Gaming for 2015 according to Autodesk the leader in 3D design, engineering and entertainment software.

http://www.cgstudentawards.com/magazine/entry/top-20-schools-to-study-vfx-animation-and-next-gen-gaming-for-2015?utm_content=buffer59c23&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

“Having access to over 1,000 entries ranked from top-to-bottom by industry experts is an extremely powerful indicator of where the best talent is coming from on a global scale, said Andrew McDonald, CG Student Awards - CoFounder.”

Some quotes from this years graduates.

Jessica Lennox

Definitely three of the best years of my life. I have no regrets in regards to attending the university of Hertfordshire. It offered me the rare opportunity to explore both my creative and technical skills together and develop myself into the basis of a solid 3D Artist. Because of the tutorship and self motivation, I was able to improve upon the right skills which allowed me to go straight from university and into an industry job that I enjoy'

Connor Sheehan

"Attending Hertfordshire was a fantastic move for my career, there I was able to really find what I am most passionate about by exploring different aspects of game design. Combined with the tutorship and advice from the lecturers I was able to hone my skills to be employed right out of Uni doing exactly what I want to do."

Kye Holt

"Studying 3D Games Art at UHanimation has really helped me to achieve my goals of becoming a Character Artist. Gaining a job in the industry straight after finishing my degree, would have been impossible without the help of knowledgeable lecturers and useful links to industry professionals. I have evolved as an artist over the past three years and would thoroughly recommend the university."

Connor Sheehan

"Attending Hertfordshire was a fantastic move for my career, there I was able to really find what I am most passionate about by exploring different aspects of game design. Combined with the tutorship and advice from the lecturers I was able to hone my skills to be employed right out of Uni doing exactly what I want to do."
  • FuriousDark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is the total cost of the program? How many graduates do you have a year? How many of them are employed in the field immediately after graduation, both per graduating class and overall. What support do you offer each student afterwards who is looking for jobs in their field? Who do you connect them to, specifically?

Why, exactly, cannot the university pay for its teaching tools? Why not pay the graduating students who cannot currently find work to create these assets that you want?

And what does this post even say to perspective students? Come spend thousands of at our university and then work for free afterwards because that's how little you're valued?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage

What is the total cost of the program?

How many graduates do you have a year?

How many of them are employed in the field immediately after graduation both per graduating class and overall.

What support do you offer each student afterwards who are looking for jobs in their field?

Who do you connect them to?

Why, exactly, cannot the university pay for its teaching tools?

And what does this post even say to perspective students?

Come spend thousands of at our university and then work for free afterwards because that's how little you're valued?

"What is the total cost of the program? "
    Costs can be found here - http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/3d-games-art-and-design

"How many graduates do you have a year? "
    Around 100 on Games Art, VFX, 2D and 3D Animation also have some MA and PhD

"How many of them are employed"
    Employed, to early to say but its looking good from this thread, previous year was 67% first choice employment -
    http://www.3dhit.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14971&&page=30

"Who do you connect them to?"
    Manly the the following studios were our alumni work, but expanding into Research and Indie Dev now, also visit as many studios as possible over the summer, also need to add to this list.

Activision (Shanghai)
    Activision (UK)
    Apache Solutions Ltd
    Babel Media
    Beatnik Games
    Bioware
    Blitz Games
    Bohemia Interactive Simulations
    Climax
    Creative Assembly
    Crytek UK
    Digi-Guys
    Dovetail Games
    DR Studios
    Electronic Arts
    Eurocom
    Eutechnyx Ltd
    Exient
    FortuneFish Ltd
    FreestyleGames
    Frontier
    Frozenbyte
    Full Fat Games
    Geomerics
    Gusto Games
    Headstrong Games
    Hothouse Creations
    Idle Creations
    Ignition London
    Jagex
    Juice Games
    Keen Games
    Kuju
    Lionhead Studios
    nDreams
    Nektan
    Nintendo
    Outso
    PlayerThree Ltd
    Playfish
    Playground Games
    Plumbee
    Poly Assets United Inc
    Psychotron
    Radiant Worlds Ltd
    Rare-Microsoft Games
    Real Time Worlds
    Rebellion Games
    Related Designs
    Reloaded Productions
    Remode
    Rockstar North
    Rocksteady Studios
    Slinky Pictures
    Sony-London Studio
    Sony-Cambridge Studio
    Space Ape Games
    Spiral House
    Splash Damage
    Square Enix
    Supermassive Games
    Traveller's Tales
    Twimler
    Ubisoft (Singapore)
    Ubisoft - BluByte (Germany)
    Zoe Mode

3D, 2D & VFX :

Activ8
    AixSponza
    Analog
    Ancha
    Aniboxx
    Animated Storyboards
    Anthem Studios
    Archipelago
    Atomic Arts
    Atticus Finch
    Axis Animation
    Azimuth Post Production
    Baby Cow
    Base Black
    Big Red Button
    BinWeevils
    BlinkInk
    Blue Zoo
    Boutiq
    Caboom
    The Character Shop
    CherryCherry
    Cinesite
    Click 3X
    CoolToons
    Cult Toons
    Cumi Ltd
    Digi-Guys
    Digipost New Zealand
    Disney Production
    DixonBaxi
    Double Negative
    Factory Fifteen
    FireStep
    Flickerpix
    Fluid Pictures
    The Foundry
    Framestore
    Gener8
    Gentlemen Broncos
    Glassworks
    Glowfrog
    Gnu Films
    Happy Finish
    Hi-ReS
    Huge Media
    ImpossibleTV
    Infinite Frameworks
    Inspidea
    Jellyfish Pictures
    Jim Henson's Creature Shop
    Kavaleer Productions
    Kazoo Creative
    Keyframe Studios
    Laika
    Les' Copaque
    Lupus Films
    Mainframe
    Method Studios
    Milk Visual Effects
    MNC Animation
    Moving Picture Company
    Munky
    The Mill
    Nadom
    National Space Centre
    Natural Motion
    nDreams
    The Neighbourhood
    Neon
    Nexus Productions
    Nomint Pictures
    Nuframe
    Nvisage
    Nvizible
    One Dead Pixel
    One of Us
    Overthrow Productions
    Passion Pictures
    Picasso Pictures
    Picture House TV
    Pipedreams 3D
    Pixomondo
    Plowman Craven
    The Pond Studio
    Postyr Post Production
    Prime Focus
    PTE media
    Pumphouse Productions
    Qvisten Studios
    Realise Studio
    Realtime UK
    Redvision
    ReelGood
    Rewind FX
    Rise FX
    RJDM Animations
    Rushes
    Saddington & Baynes
    Selex SI
    The Senate VFX
    The Sex Pixels
    Sherbert
    Smoke and Mirrors
    Spider Eye
    StitchthatTV
    Storm Studios
    Studio AKA
    Studio Liddell
    Sudden Black (SBTV)
    Th1ng
    The Third Floor, Inc
    Tidal Films
    Uber
    Union VFX
    Villains Wear Black
    Vine Post Production
    Visual Method
    Windmill Lane VFX
    Zoo Films

Arch Vis

ArcMedia
    AVR London
    BAM Design
    Build
    Crystal CG
    Foster and Partners
    Last Pixel
    Miller Hare
    PreConstruct
    Real Visual
    River Film Communication
    Rock Hunter
    Smoothe
    Square Edge
    Tiger X
    Tinderstone
    Uniform
    V-Real
    Vyonyx

Product Visualisation

A.i.Solve
    Autonomy
    Bentley Motors
    Burrows CGI
    The Creative Partnership
    Dialectyx
    Douglas Fisher
    Firedog Design
    Fusion Medical Animation
    HMX Media
    MediaSphere Ltd
    Odd Boy
    Random 42
    Sparkle Media
    Taylor James
    Tekuchi
    Wilma Studios

"What support do you offer each student afterwards"
    Support, Alumni are always welcome back to use the equipment, events in central London, there is a Skillset event on monday in central London, constant emailing companies asking for graduates, many get picked up from the UHPolycount thread, we have a student forum 3dhit website - UHAnimation, invites to as many events as possible such as the Digital Art http://www.daconference.com/

"Why, exactly, cannot the university pay for its teaching tools?"
    We do but we love free stuff too, happy to share these items with other uni's

"And what does this post even say to perspective students? "
    Wow, those guys are teaching at the cutting edge

"Come spend thousands of at our university and then work for free afterwards because that's how little you're valued?"
    No one is allowed to work for free, during a small internship, Sandwich year or as a graduate as its against the law in the UK

I hope that has answered your questions, also happy to hear about any ideas that you have on how to improve the course.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Forgot to mention, our Research Lab starts in September (G+VERL - Games & Visual Effects Research Lab) free office space for Alumni, Professionals, Entrepreneurs trying to get a grass routes project off the ground. Comes with free office, PCs, Server, Software and all the normal perks of an office Toilets, Heating, Kitchen and so on all for free.

Also happy to help any indie projects to get off the ground, You can also get a free MA though this set up. So feel free to PM me and I will be more then happy to show you around.
    http://www.herts.ac.uk/cerc/projects/verl-visual-effects-research-lab
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    LC - while I totally understand where you are going with this (examining existing models is by all means a great way to learn about the technicalities of game art), I think the elephant in the room is that one would expect a Uni teaching game art to already have access to such content to begin with. If I am not mistaken this is the gist of FD's remarks.

And from there one could expect the teachers to provide such material created by them from scratch (after all, who would want to take an oil painting class taught by a teacher who doesn't paint him/herself ?), especially in an age where Patreon and Gumroad tutorships are flourishing, with industry vets putting out great content for very cheap.

That being said, a lot of game models are relatively easy to extract/decompile with just a little bit of engine knowledge ; and furthermore, directly asking studios for old assets shouldn't be a problem. Assets from current games are probably going to be an issue though, since in many cases the artists who created content for shipped games are not even cleared to show wireframe shots and budgets/specs.

So from there it goes back to the idea of having the teachers to create such content, or even, contracting freelance artists to create it.
  • FuriousDark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "What is the total cost of the program? "
    Costs can be found here - http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/3d-games-art-and-design

Since you didn't post it here is the breakdown for everyone:

£9,000 per year for what appears to be a 3 year program. So a total of £27,000 (or $41,499 for anyone curious of US currency conversion).

£11,000 per year for what appears to be a 3 year program for international students. So a total of £33,000 (or $50,723 for anyone curious of US currency conversion).

So for this single program alone, based on the number of graduates you said you have a year (100) that is an average minimum of £2,700,000 (or $4,150,116) per cycle. That does not include mixing in international students or students who dropped the program.

None of the above includes the pricing for room and board either.

"How many graduates do you have a year? "
    Around 100 on Games Art, VFX, 2D and 3D Animation also have some MA and PhD

Alright, I'll take you at face value. Although I'd like to see an actual reference since you haven't minded providing links throughout your response.
    "How many of them are employed"
    Employed, to early to say but its looking good from this thread, previous year was 67% first choice employment -
    http://www.3dhit.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14971&&page=30

This I won't take at face value. It is a post from 2009 and it relies on input from the students themselves and there is no telling who and who didn't bother to utilize the forum.
    "Who do you connect them to?"
    Manly the the following studios were our alumni work, but expanding into Research and Indie Dev now, also visit as many studios as possible over the summer, also need to add to this list.

[Long List of Studios]

This isn't a brochure here. List all the studios you want, but how do you connect these graduates to those people? Are you telling me you have a contact in all of those studios you just mentioned and you shoot out an e-mail for each student looking for work? Do all of these studios send the university constant updates for job opportunities for your students? Otherwise naming off all those studios is disingenuous at best.
    "What support do you offer each student afterwards"
    Support, Alumni events in central London, there is a Skillset event on monday in central London, constant emailing companies asking for graduates, many get picked up from the UHPolycount thread, we have a student forum 3dhit website - UHAnimation,

How often are these events? Are these events solely for the 3D Game Arts majors? Or are they giant job fairs with ridiculous entry level jobs in random fields that universities like to pass off as doing their part? I'm unsure what you mean by constant emailing companies asking for graduates. Companies are contacting the university? How many companies? How many positions per year?
    "Why, exactly, cannot the university pay for its teaching tools?"
    We do but we love free stuff too, happy to share these items with other uni's

We all love free stuff. You know what we all love even more? Getting paid. Which is exactly what the university is getting.
    "And what does this post even say to perspective students? "
    Wow, those guys are teaching at the cutting edge

That's not even close to what I'm seeing in these posts. In addition to the other points I've brought up you're also telling me you have a giant list of dozens of studio contacts, yet you come here asking for free work? Do these hundreds of alumni not have anything from all those studios to donate?
    "Come spend thousands of at our university and then work for free afterwards because that's how little you're valued?"
    no one is allowed to work for free, during a small internship, Sandwich year or as a graduate as its against the law in the UK

I hope that has answered your questions, also happy to hear about any ideas that you have on how to improve the course.

Answered? You did a great job of playing the PR piece, but nothing was really answered to my satisfaction. And as far as ideas? You seem to have glossed over the one I left in my post where I suggested paying your own graduates for the assets you're looking for. It's called investing in your work, and I'm a bit concerned how little confidence you must have in your own graduates not to go in that direction.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. I think I looked at this the wrong way. My frustration is more with the school rather than you personally. Sorry about that.

I am still annoyed by the idea of an artist giving away their work to a place that will turn around and make money off of it.

Obviously, as a teacher, you want your students to have the best materials possible so you can help them achieve their goals by the time they graduate. I don't really know your background but I assume you're not the owner of the school or anything asking for free stuff.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Its like Pior said
    pior wrote: »
    LC - (examining existing models is by all means a great way to learn about the technicalities of game art,

That about sums it up, while there is budget for Visiting Lecturer staff to come up with content the pot can only go so far, so to supplement this I am asking on behalf of my students to help them as a teaching resource to be able to study any extra content we can get out hands on.

As I said above we would like to compare and contrast models to the film industry techniques to help further their understanding, break down the models, rig them, add blueprints, rebuild them with different techniques and so on.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    There are tons of high quality free models out there. Why not teach them to model HQ models first, then texture them and then rig/animate them in that order. Problem solved. :)
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Its just nice for the students when they are able to put all the teaching they have had and be able to see a Professional model that is currently in a game or on the cinema. They can then click and understand why they have been taught in a set structure, pipelines, teaching patterns and see there is no magic button just lots of hard work, doggedness, dedication, tenacity will get them the results they require.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    To sum up so far; the university doesn't have the required professional up-to-date materials for students, and would like to obtain them for free.

I'm not exactly sure what to think...
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    There is also this thread, http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38292
    No current gen assets there though.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Thank you Stromberg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand the sentiment, but the reality of teaching is it's not well funded in general. The tuition money does not get funneled directly into the classrooms. And instructors are usually paid very low. Unfortunately this acts as a natural deterrent for getting industry vets.

However there still is value in sharing assets for educational purposes. They're not being used to sell the school to new students; they're being used to augment course instruction.

We have links to some free content here.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Character#Character_Examples
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    There's also this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138341

Since you'll technically be using the models for profit though, before you try to use anything from there you should probably contact the authors individually and:
    A. ask permission.
    B. offer compensation.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Thank you Eric, great resource.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Good idea Almighty Gir.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's a decent number of assests included with UE4 throught the content examples, community showcases, and with Unreal Tournament. There's also the Dota2 character models available for download, which are kinda inbetween current and last gen http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    ZacD wrote: »
    There's a decent number of assests included with UE4 throught the content examples, community showcases, and with Unreal Tournament. There's also the Dota2 character models available for download, which are kinda inbetween current and last gen http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

Great stuff, cool for the animators as well.

Thank you.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a giveaway thread here in Polycount.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138341

I think I share some of the other's view. Learning is good. I love to share my knowledge. But when this request was made for a paid course, it does feel cheap and rip off.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I'm sorry but instead of asking for free stuff why not spend some of that insane tuition money on getting instructors or even guest speakers (from those projects you want free models from) out to your school to explain the workflows and practices better than your current instructors apparently can. That would be much more valuable to your students than some ripped models or levels.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I like the idea of studios releasing some example assets from their games as reference points for studios and hobbyists. Would give them a better reference of what that studio wants in terms of style, techniques, and optimization.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    I went to VFS, and the school has rights to use our work we did while we were there for marketing, teaching, etc. I certainly did not mind this due to the marketing power of the school and it's free exposure for me if they ever publish it on their Youtube or anything.

So I think one of the first places you should look is at previous student works that meet the quality you are looking for. Share that with your current students, since it's something your school and previous students produced. Also gives some motivation of, "Hey if that person can do it, so can I" instead of an industry asset that was probably worked on by several people with combined decades of experience. The final image is what matters, rather than digging into how the asset was made. I don't think there's anything special about an industry asset, we all model, unwrap UVs, texture things and understand how Shaders/PBR works, add on some good lighting/presentation skills and that's that, ship it.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I get some of the frustration but

1.) Hertfordshire is one of the few schools who seem like the students are well prepared on graduating

2.) little claude is always a student advocate on his own, pimping his students work for polycount to see and also pimping alumni work. His interest in them seems very genuine. (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68766&page=19)

3 - He is a productive member of PC outside his capacity as a teacher.

So while maybe asking for free stuff can be seen as shady, I really don't doubt his intentions of asking on the behalf of his students, and not on behalf of financial gain of the school.

I dont have any assets to donate but maybe it would be a little more give/take Littleclaud to ask Alumni who have gone on to big things, to ask them to donate.

Schools frequently ask Alumni for donations and time commitments.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Welp I guess it is considered a public university. Don't know why tuition rates are so high though. Where the hell is all that money going?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah there is a lot of unwarranted hate in this thread. While I understand and agree with many of the problems surrounding for profit universities, Neil is not the source of them.

Heres a couple Toolbag scenes for you. Feel free to use for any educational purpose:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/lenscontent.zip
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/499159/divinghelmetcontent03.zip
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Bleah.

A lot of hate towards an instructor trying to teach the RIGHT way.

Tough crowd.

I'm also a part-time adjunct professor, and finding up to date material is fucking HARD, and simply not feasible to do completely on my own.

Anyways....

Claude - One of the first assignments I now run is 'Make a DOTA 2 Weapon'.

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/

The FBX and maya files + Textures for the in-game characters are all up there.

Great documentation on the artistic pipeline.
    Informative Style Guide.
    Hard Technical limitations.
    Easy to integrate into an engine
    Great support from the Polycount DOTA 2 sub-community.
    TONS of examples.

The great thing about this assignment, is they get to see their item running in an actual game. They get to experience that ethereal connection artists get to seeing their art running in REAL TIME (and thwaking other people with it).

Another assignment I like run, are those old-school Hand painted Diffuse SDK's that Bobo/Mop made.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70908
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    LC - while I totally understand where you are going with this (examining existing models is by all means a great way to learn about the technicalities of game art), I think the elephant in the room is that one would expect a Uni teaching game art to already have access to such content to begin with. If I am not mistaken this is the gist of FD's remarks.

And from there one could expect the teachers to provide such material created by them from scratch (after all, who would want to take an oil painting class taught by a teacher who doesn't paint him/herself ?), especially in an age where Patreon and Gumroad tutorships are flourishing, with industry vets putting out great content for very cheap.

That being said, a lot of game models are relatively easy to extract/decompile with just a little bit of engine knowledge ; and furthermore, directly asking studios for old assets shouldn't be a problem. Assets from current games are probably going to be an issue though, since in many cases the artists who created content for shipped games are not even cleared to show wireframe shots and budgets/specs.

So from there it goes back to the idea of having the teachers to create such content, or even, contracting freelance artists to create it.
    I'm with Pior on this. It may not be particularly helpful to you, but I would not personally take a class on modeling from an instructor who couldn't even create their own example asset. One would at least expect them to already have their own portfolio they could pull from.
    And that is of course before even getting into the morality brought up by FuriousDark on anyone requesting free assets which they intend to profit off of.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yes, lots of schools rip off students. But LC here is trying to make them a little less ripped off by actually teaching them relevant things. I don't think this is a bad way of going about it.

If you don't want to give them models, don't. But there's nothing wrong with him trying to help out his students.

I'll try to throw together some in a rar. What sort of source files are you looking for? My maya files are usually pretty rough around the edges, and they don't always work right out of the box; sometimes I make a new file for exploding the high, for instance.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't downloaded it and looked but all the assets for unitys blacksmith demo are here; http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/06/24/releasing-the-blacksmith/
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Surely there'd be some money left for contracting a proficient freelance character artist to make you a model?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    ceebee wrote: »
    Welp I guess it is considered a public university. Don't know why tuition rates are so high though. Where the hell is all that money going?

Consider this is the UK and the maximum tuition fee each year is £9000. Now almost every course I have seen not just in games but across several different subject areas almost all of them are at the maximum of £9000 and I think the lowest I have ever seen is £8700.

This is a rough breakdown of where those fees go (don't quote me on this I have not read all of it)
    http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/highereducation/Documents/2013/WhereStudentFeesGo.pdf

The fee's themselves are probably decided by more administrative staff at the university themselves rather than the people running the course. If there was lots of free money that every course generated then the fees would be much lower for every course (computer driven courses being more expensive than more traditional courses that are non-computer based).

That being said I may be a little bit bias because University of Hertfordshire is my first choice for university applications next year.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    If you need characters, valve has the dota models and textures to show though. :)
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Unity put some very high quality characters for free in their store for learning purposes just some days ago

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/39941
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'm on the fence about this, on one hand LC is a long time supporter of his students, i've followed his students work for some time through the work he personally posts for them. He holds his students in high regard, trying their following and for that i applaud him.

(Below is assumed UK shit)
    I also know about the red tape, paper pushing aspects of a position such as his. Going off of the standard UK teacher job, he's probably overworked, understaffed and does not see a fraction of that tuition fee. Most probably marking work out of hours as the going norm is.

So when you see FuriousDark, a 9 post account flaming the shit out of him, the natural assumption is that it's a pissed off student which by his own description, "has terrible short term memory", who also only wants to do part of a job role. I've seen what people produce off of Hert's course and personally wanted to apply there myself but circumstance stopped me.

Yes, for profit universities are terrible but don't hate the guy, who at the end of the day is trying to help his students.

Write an angry letter to the head of the department or the paper pushers who decide his budget?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Thanks for the love guys and understanding, there's some amazing resources from all of you so thank you!

When the students get to see these products whether it’s a Drop ship, Batman Car, Aircraft Carrier and so they realize it’s a team effort and it becomes quite apparent that for many in this industry you have to learn to be a team player, from Concept art to your first Edge Loops, UV Mapping, Texturing, Rigging, Materials and a so on. A recent vehicle that was donated had three artists for three months working flat out on it and that was not including the hi resolution model that came from the automotive industry which needed cleaning up for the bakedown.

Luckly many studios and artists see the value of sharing these resources to allow for a new generation of students to be exposed to great content as it all helps keep the industry successful. Some of the products donated to us especially from the film industry in London came from teams of fifty plus cutting edge artists just for a character let alone the environments and so on. And when you look at GameDevMap or Made in Creative UK part of my job is to keep those stocked with great talent and help keep the UK up there in the top performers, and in time after a few years experience some of that talent might go off to elsewhere in Europe like the healthy Scandinavian industry, USA, Asia and so on. I hate it when I see dots disappearing off the map in places like Australia which once housed some of my favorite studios and often think how I might be able to help?

I know from my own industry experience that making Characters, Environments, Galleons, Boss levels, Space Ships, Submarines, Rigging, Cut Scenes, Adverts, Music Videos and so on takes a lot of development time. Let alone breaking it down into the different styles can take years of development. Each cohort from year to year have their own overall style so maybe this year might be a high resolution Sci-Fi style due to graduates going to those kinds of studios at the moment. And I remember being a student and a guy from Rare turned up and gave us some of their models and suddenly it all clicked into place, while my lecturer at the time was cool he was very much a Sci-Fi Wipeout artist so to see a more stylized approach was so much more my cup of tea.

And finally yes I do go on student marches to bring down fees, education should be free and it was free when I was younger and I got a service grant as I was from a poor single parent family as my mum was a nurse earning under the allowance, which I found out this morning has also been cut from yesterdays government budget. There was some good news for the games industry and I commended the Government’s decision to reduce corporation tax to 18 per cent by 2020, this will really help keep the jobs rolling.

Noam Chomsky at 16.30 has some insightful ideas about student dept and he is in the top 10 most cited scholars in the world.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESKmBjMV-y4[/ame]
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I think alot of us students still have a lot of animosity towards the school we went to, charging tons for nothing more then glorified tutorials
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    At the risk of stating the obvious :

Couldn't the University of Hertfordshire completely flip the script on this by working out an agreement with model donators to build an online database of downloadable educational models available to anyone ?

That way everybody wins :

- The Uni makes a good name for itself by being an active contributor to the global spreading of knowledge ;
    - Students *and* non-students alike benefit from having access to industry-grade models to decipher ;
    - The Uni makes a profit from what it actually brings to the table, which is the expertise of teachers lecturing about the donated models (on top of relying on the existing material created within the walls of the University or contracted out).

Would that make sense ?
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    I think alot of us students still have a lot of animosity towards the school we went to, charging tons for nothing more then glorified tutorials

+1
  • FuriousDark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I should clarify that I wasn't explicitly attacking littleclaude, the person. I was absolutely driving down hard criticisms of the university he works for and attempting to rationalize asking for free resources on their behalf.

I still absolutely think that a university trying to weasel out of providing resources for its department/staff is despicable.

And if you tell me you wouldn't have torn apart any person who came in here that was making a game to sell, but asked for free assets then you're not being honest. I would imagine if the phrase, "it's great exposure/experience" was uttered there would have been torches lit.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    At the risk of stating the obvious :

Couldn't the University of Hertfordshire completely flip the script on this by working out an agreement with model donators to build an online database of downloadable educational models available to anyone ?

This seems like something the Polycount community could start to do?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still absolutely think that a university trying to weasel out of providing resources for its department/staff is despicable.

While I think most would agree that would be unfortunate, it's a pretty big assumption to state that Neil is weaseling out of his responsibilities, rather than going above and beyond and trying to provide the best resources possible for his students.

I'm not taking any of his courses so I don't know either way, but by all accounts he is well respected so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

In terms of should the University pay for this sort of thing, well yes obviously that would be ideal, but to think it is as simple as that is naive. I don't know about Universities in the UK, but in the US there are typically massive hoops to jump through to get anything like this approved. As others have said, tuition money isn't funneled directly back into the courses, to the professors, etc. Often in the US most of it goes to sports/coaches, while everyone else has to fight to get basic operational funding. =/
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Having been on a few advisory boards for college programs, I can tell you that sure, they should pay for that stuff, but college/university politics are a NIGHTMARE. Changing anything takes so freaking much. It's like turning the titanic with an canoe paddle. Getting them to spend money on anything requires so many levels of approval and paper work. It's ridiculous. I`m sure the OP knows this, and that's why he's asking for a little help from people who are usually very helpful.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15

This is exactly how I feel about my college experience. It's been many years now and I don't know if they've changed but you hit the nail on the head, it was a glorified tutorial.

There were times I, or other students were helping the teacher figure things out. We had a "game art and design" class where we were taught UE3 by a teacher who never used it before. We were told by the head of the program that we were a "test group" and they were just trying things with us to see what worked and what didn't to benefit future students.

Bottom line is I learned everything I know on my own, on the internet. I will never give credit to that school for anything I accomplish/accomplished and I regret ever thinking going to school for 3D was a good idea.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Swarm22 wrote: »
    This is exactly how I feel about my college experience. It's been many years now and I don't know if they've changed but you hit the nail on the head, it was a glorified tutorial.

There were times I, or other students were helping the teacher figure things out. We had a "game art and design" class where we were taught UE3 by a teacher who never used it before. We were told by the head of the program that we were a "test group" and they were just trying things with us to see what worked and what didn't to benefit future students.

Bottom line is I learned everything I know on my own, on the internet. I will never give credit to that school for anything I accomplish/accomplished and I regret ever thinking going to school for 3D was a good idea.
    Oh man, I had a design professor say that a "Platformer" game was defined as a signature title for a particular system (AKA platform). Like Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega, Mario for Nintendo, or Crash Bandicoot for PlayStation.
    Those games were indeed all platformers, but not for that reason.
    Literally the only art courses were traditional painting.
    Oh yeah, and History of American Government was a mandatory part of my curriculum :poly128:
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Oh man, I had a design professor say that a "Platformer" game was defined as a signature title for a particular system (AKA platform). Like Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega, Mario for Nintendo, or Crash Bandicoot for PlayStation.
    Those games were indeed all platformers, but not for that reason.
    Literally the only art courses were traditional painting.
    Oh yeah, and History of American Government was a mandatory part of my curriculum :poly128:

We also had mandatory classes that had nothing to do with 3D or Animation. They were required by the government in order to issue diplomas. So I had English classes, History classes, Geology, etc. I actually didn't even get my diploma because even though I had 90's in all my courses (the highest grades ive ever had in my life), I missed an English credit because of poor final exam results in my first year.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    The fact that the bureaucracy of a school makes it difficult for well intentioned instructors to get funding to provide material really seems like a better argument in favor of not giving them anything. "Donating" material for free just because an instructor begs for it simply rewards the institution for their obstinance.

I think Pior has the best suggestion so far but I would go further and say that if this is a worthy endeavor it is best provided by an independent third party which the university is free to access, but can't promote itself through. As I recall, there used to be a site in the Quake 2 era that served as a repository for freely available 3D models that turned out pretty well....

Assuming files can still be easily uploaded to the polycount wiki then perhaps a page could be dedicated to this.

ysalex wrote: »
    2.) little claude is always a student advocate on his own, pimping his students work for polycount to see and also pimping alumni work. His interest in them seems very genuine. (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68766&page=19)
    Without passing judgement on littleclaude's character, to me that Hertfordshire thread reads much more like an advertisement for the school itself than a promotion of the students in it. Many of the images are uncredited, without names or contact information and only a handful of students work gets posted which suggests to me at least that the work is being selected on the basis of what best represents the school. I'm sure littleclaude is a good guy, but the school is definitely getting the better end of the service that thread provides.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Swarm22 wrote: »
    We also had mandatory classes that had nothing to do with 3D or Animation. They were required by the government in order to issue diplomas. So I had English classes, History classes, Geology, etc.

The Art Institute in Santa Monica had similar requirements. And if I'm honest, they were some of the most enjoyable classes for me, and some of the only classes that taught me things. Those are the teachers I'll remember for years to come; not the ones who taught game art (with two exceptions).

I understand that people hate those requirements, but every degree has those requirements, and they do help broaden horizons. Learning about other things can only help your art be better.

The broader your knowledge, the broader the base is upon which your art stands.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    An alternative is the Marmoset Viewer on ArtStation. I seem to find myself using the breakdown view and looking through each individual texture and dissecting the LP geo. Of course its not nearly as awesome as having the source files to something, but it sure as hell is better than nothing at all :) Wish Marmo Viewer was around when I was going through school/starting out.

That being said, +1 to all the unwarranted hate. Think of this as a past student that we all once were/are. I mean, do not tell me you wouldn't learn a thing or two just looking at some of these recent kick ass models being dropped into these newer releases. I wish I could get my hand on some of the source files for example, The Order 1886, just to look at. I do agree that the school should pay for these materials, but Claude IMO is going above and beyond and looking for donations because for all we know, the school could have turned down the request for funding such an endeavor.

So yeah, if I had source files for anything that I had permission to hand off, would in a heartbeat in the name of helping students out.