Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Toasty
    @Vayne4800 WHO are you, and what have you done with Vayne!?!? man... almost all positive rational comments.. man...next we might even see Vayne crack a joke or two.
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Huge congratulations to everyone that got in the first round :D good job! for me personally i think their choices are pretty reasonable, so no comment on that, just hope that there will be at least 2 more chests though, hehe.

Also, happy lunar new year to everyone, especially those who celebrate it :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Congrats on everyone that got into the chest, it's looking great!
    Allready bought several chests, for the first time since a long time :D

I think for an event like this they could indeed put in 2 or 3 chest at least.
    Didn't expected any singles..

@seeingtriangles: Thx for the kind words!
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I think there's gonna be maybe 1 more chest, i doubt 2 unless they do a double release next week...The New Bloom event should finish around the 2nd of March, and there's pretty much one week and a couple of days left.
    A move that i didn't understand much was to delay the chest till 1 week after the beginning of the event, i guess it was to sell more Arcanas....
    Anyway, congrats to who got stuff accepted.
    In particular Luna, Venge, Axe and the wind courier are such top notch creations!
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    Congrats to those artist who got their stuff accepted by Valve :D , great job :D , i hope there will be another 1 or 2 chest coming soon , well finger cross for those who submitted their stuff for the new bloom including me :)
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    Pls giff more chests volvo - I want my first selfmade. ^_^
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    motenai wrote: »
    I think there's gonna be maybe 1 more chest, i doubt 2 unless they do a double release next week...The New Bloom event should finish around the 2nd of March, and there's pretty much one week and a couple of days left.
    A move that i didn't understand much was to delay the chest till 1 week after the beginning of the event, i guess it was to sell more Arcanas....
    Anyway, congrats to who got stuff accepted.
    In particular Luna, Venge, Axe and the wind courier are such top notch creations!

I am still waiting on your Lina! I have a strong feeling it will make it!
  • cottonwings
    Hey folks, Sylei and I in collaboration with pro-player Mushi created a Kunkka set, Resolute Seafarer! We spent months refining this baby with love and care, and we hope you guys enjoy it. Upvotes are appreciated!

tumblr_njt6gjYhIa1rsuvwxo3_1280.png

tumblr_njt6gjYhIa1rsuvwxo6_r1_1280.png

tumblr_njt6gjYhIa1rsuvwxo1_1280.png

tumblr_njt6gjYhIa1rsuvwxo4_r1_400.giftumblr_njt6gjYhIa1rsuvwxo5_r1_250.gif

tumblr_njt6gjYhIa1rsuvwxo2_1280.png

Please watch our promo video, as Sylei put a lot of great effort in this presentation!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlC9xjl1ZZg[/ame]

Sorry for the heavy image load, and thanks for reading.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I'm pretty sure we'll only see one more chest released next week. I can't see them releasing two in one week and having them compete. I'm also pretty sure that singles for the most part are dead.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Well Valve wouldn't be new to a double chest release, for example during TI4 they did it twice in few weeks (pro-player double chest + Alliance chest and the TI4 double chest) but then it's a bit in antithesis with what they did this week. If they wanted to push 2 chests at once i guess it would have already happened this week. So you're probably right.
  • Ziedrich
    I am hoping they do one next week, and then do another in March that contains some of the awesome ones that didn't make it in the first two chests. I think it's very likely that it could happen, considering last year.
  • Sylei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sylei polycounter lvl 5
    Last year there was 15 sets and 30+ singles added during the event. It would be pretty disappointing if they don't at least put in 3 chests, which would be ~21 sets (to compensate for the singles, assuming they are dead), considering there is much more participation this year.
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    I hope that my ward has a chance to get in as an bonus drop. :-)
    Good luck to all of you!
  • Toasty
    It's a shame valve hasn't done a little advertising page or blog update for the chest release. Are they just focusing on arcania and beast brawl release this new Bloom?
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys, I'm working on a silencer set at the moment. Crits are welcome!:

LGX19aM.png?1
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    cottonwings - Awesome Kunkka :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

With the amount of content submitted for new bloom it might have been cool if Valve experimented with the chest some. Like why not cram in double the sets for the normal drops. Put like 6-12 single items in as well. Then 2 rare sets, a rare crow, and a rare ward. Have it drop 2 sets, and 1 or 2 singles, rare would be one set and a ward or a crow, and charge $4.99 for it. Ultra Mega Chest!
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    @kite212 it should be a good strategy , well everyone knows Gabe loves money :D
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Still waiting for the day that a chest contains a set for EVERY hero.
  • G99Factory
    Hello. A have a little question. Is it important that the new sets are combined with standard sets?
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Trying to make a grungy-badass sniper. Red Death.
    Inspired why desert snipers and all the FPS games...
    Would love to get some crits!
    bc51a07968.jpg

Volvo giff new engine. I want to make particles >,<
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    nice man! the color scheme is a bit like Blood Seeker though. but very cool.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Agree, if you get more orange in there would be better, but pretty nice concept
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vovosunt I think instead of having some blood marks around the area, you should just have those teeth parts plain white and the other part just red with something else that you can add. It's only because when i see it, sniper looks like he just ate some animal and some blood spattered over his mouth. But everything else looks great!

Almost done with this silencer set, just the masks left to go!:

ywKbhJ4.png?1
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    G99Factory wrote: »
    Hello. A have a little question. Is it important that the new sets are combined with standard sets?

If by that you mean parts of the new set can be warn with the old set. According to what valve has said, yes. Based on what they have accepted, no. As long as you keep it in line with the heroes color pallete, there shouldn't be an issue.
  • TommyTehZombie
    vertical wrote: »
    Still waiting for the day that a chest contains a set for EVERY hero.

You're gonna be waiting a looooooong time.
  • C0ldfir3
    You're gonna be waiting a looooooong time.

still waiting for all heroes to be available in the workshop...
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Baddcog: thanks for the info. It would be nice if all heroes have double sided material enabled :(
    @G99Factory: IMO it's not that important, however sets that are easy to mix with other sets tend to be more popular, especially with those that have custom ability icons/particles. For example I see lots of people like mixing other TA sets with the shoulder slot from the 3rd insight set.
  • G99Factory
    Clyptic wrote: »
    If by that you mean parts of the new set can be warn with the old set. According to what valve has said, yes. Based on what they have accepted, no. As long as you keep it in line with the heroes color pallete, there shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!
  • Prosomogy
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    How can u get such a clean texture in 256 by 256? Do you mind sharing the texture files?
    P.s. never mind I saw it in your thread. Nice work man
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    @Reza and Badcogg: Yeah I also thought that the red may be too much, and I've gotten quite a few Blood Seeker comment on reddit too. But Orange Death just doesn't sound... as deadly. Sounds like a cocktail XD. But I'll try some other colors :)
    @Mohsen: That's actually supposed to be tattered and washed out cloth with white paint that wore off. I think it'll look more defined on the model.

As always thanks for hte crits :)

@Prosto-mogy: +1 to Reza's question

And here's some more random concepting:
    Warlock demon: Blind Hunger
    Big mouth + mouth hands + teeth spikes everywhere
    9ded7cb393.jpg954075d07e.jpgaa29d31589.jpg

BTW 6500tris for lod0... insane :D
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
  • TommyTehZombie
    Reza wrote: »
    How can u get such a clean texture in 256 by 256? Do you mind sharing the texture files?
    P.s. never mind I saw it in your thread. Nice work man

Not sure if this is his technique, but if you downscale in Photoshop using bicubic sharper to 512x512, do an unsharp mask, then downscale it again to 256x256, you get much cleaner textures than if you let dota downscale it for you.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if this is his technique, but if you downscale in Photoshop using bicubic sharper to 512x512, do an unsharp mask, then downscale it again to 256x256, you get much cleaner textures than if you let dota downscale it for you.

Example I made a while ago showing this:
    ZK9OnCk.png

In this image what I did, and do to down sample my textures, is I will first change the image size, making it smaller by half using bicubic sharper, then this image will have a smart sharp filter applied, at around 5-15% depending on the texture. I will then change the image size to the in-game limit again using bicubic sharper. A little tedious, maybe a bit overkill, but in all my tests this has given me the best results
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    Wapow!

BxdOtbr.png?1

Set done! Sending it to variant who will be uploading it :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Wapow!

BxdOtbr.png?1

Set done! Sending it to variant who will be uploading it :)

Hey sir! I think you could work a little more on the set before considering it done

your textures could have some gradient colors and be less one flat color, they look a little low resolution, would you mind showing the uvs? we could give some good advices on it

also, it looks you model could use more detail on the normal map, are you using a highpoly mesh to bake the details on the model?

cheers!
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey sir! I think you could work a little more on the set before considering it done

your textures could have some gradient colors and be less one flat color, they look a little low resolution, would you mind showing the uvs? we could give some good advices on it

also, it looks you model could use more detail on the normal map, are you using a highpoly mesh to bake the details on the model?

cheers!

Well, I did do a high poly version of it, and I did find an issue when I imported the set. Firstly, it didn't seem like the normal map or the masks were working on the shoulders, head, bracers, and belt item, but on the weapon and shield they worked fine. Secondly for the textures, I didn't know any other way I could have improved it honestly. And I was working on 256x256 texture maps the whole time, so that might be why the set doesn't look very high quality
  • agito666
    Well, I did do a high poly version of it, and I did find an issue when I imported the set. Firstly, it didn't seem like the normal map or the masks were working on the shoulders, head, bracers, and belt item, but on the weapon and shield they worked fine. Secondly for the textures, I didn't know any other way I could have improved it honestly. And I was working on 256x256 texture maps the whole time, so that might be why the set doesn't look very high quality

"colour variation" i guess.

i watch this from 2 meter it is a piece of purple and gold highlight blend together... i'm having trouble finding head part for first 2 minutes when i watching this picture on my desk
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Mohsen:

There are a lot of simple and quick things you can do that would improve your texture a lot.

Try painting with different tones to give it more depth - using a lighter tone to highlight the most proeminent parts of folds and edges of those golden parts, darker tones to accentuate shaded areas, etc. - you'll see the difference (:

Bear in mind that generally a texture isn't much different from a painting, especially in a game like Dota 2, you can't rely solely on normalmaps and lighting effects to make your model stand out.
  • Pipotchi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    This is so frustrating I dont understand why I cant get my models to not look like garbage just previewing them in maya-

XqMNoNB.jpg

One of those is just the regular lion body + the head item i made just with a lambert, with textures and high quality on just in the perspective viewing window. The only thing on both of these is their normal map, no textures. The one on the left has some lighting that I tried to put in, but it looks really bad... When I turn to the right side of his face I get this mess happening:

gaqmSA7.jpg

and then turning to the right gives me this:

55911BN.jpg

Despite there being no lights in this version of the scene... plus even ignoring lighting, the normal maps even on the body look really dreadful. I realise I messed up the head and it will probably look bad even when lit correctly, but I cant get it to even look remotely normal even on the body and it makes no sense. when I add a texture to the body it also has this weird seethrough effect on certain parts, with areas like the back of his waist being shown over the front and same around his chin area. This is all on maya 2012. I have no idea where to begin google searching.. if someone can pull me out of this mess (ideally without just throwing my computer in a fire) i would really appreciate it
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Pipotchi: I'm not sure what caused the problem with the normal map, but about the see-through problem, maybe it's because Maya applied transparency map when you applied texture map to the models. Turn off the transparency map (break connection) will help. The transparency map can be found right below the texture (color) map. About the issue with normal map: did you bake your normal with green channel inverted? If so, did you change the tangent space's coordinate system to left handed?

Btw, I'm having problem with Storm Spirit's models. I downloaded the models from Valve's technical requirements page just a few days ago, opened the .MA file with Maya. The problem I'm having is that Maya won't let me select the models unless I do right click>select all. Also, all of his bones are hidden and I can't make them appear no matter what I do. The weird thing is any other .MA files I open don't have this problem, only Storm Spirit has it. Any one knows how to fix it?
  • Toasty
    JxylJj.jpg

@Pipotchi
    I've just tested his model, with the normal map. I think you may have the Bump2d node set to object space normals, not tangent space as seen in the image above. Swap that over and you should be right to go.

UkrJtF.jpg

@SeeingTriangles
    Storm Spirits Joints are on a layer that is hidden by default.
    Also his geo has been set to refernce,( the little R ) turn that off and you can select the mesh in viewport
  • Pipotchi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    yikes, i had done just that. thanks for helping me out guys ^^ i will try the transparency thing when i am working with the color again.

M7DJnf1.jpg

not great but at least its normal now (pun intended). i think i have one side of my normals reversed although im finding it difficult to tell. looking at the face normals they are all pointing outwards but something still looks a bit wrong. i can work it out from here though i think, ty again
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Pipotchi wrote: »

did you offset half your mesh before you baked? that can bork your normals a lot. maya's viewport previews are generally pretty dodgy though, best to check it out ingame first

the transparency's cause maya automatically connects the alpha on 32 bit textures to the transparency node on your material. so basically all the volvo materials will do that, and again, maya is really dodgy with viewport alpha, so it's best to disable that
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    If you flip your Y in xnromal you need to switch you models tangent space in maya. Click model go into the properties where it says tangent space click left.
    ee13c63167.png
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @TommyTehZombie and @kite212

Thanks a lot guys. that's very useful!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

About the texture size, some artist including myself, use to work on a higher resolution file: for a 256 x 256 it is common to work on 1024 x 1024 and then downscale when you are finished

I remembered another good thing, try to make some contrasts with the textures, your texture needs to work on black and white, be recognizable and easy to read even without saturation.

I hope this may help
  • SeeingTriangles
    @Toasty: thank you so much, now I can select everything normally. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Finished my latest set. Collaboration with LiveWorkshop & Star Ladder.

turntable.gif

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=399394816

Please Vote :)
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Treasure of the Forgotten_Myth
    Treasure of the Shrouded_Myth

I hope these included untealeased sets, that were accepted, like teased in the blog