Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baroque Mini-Env

Replies

• PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Getting tips for dust from a guy named.. Dustin? The gods are truly looking down on you today Snefer.
  • ambethia
    Man, the low-rez on the livestream modeling is breaking my heart! But, I'm watching anyways...
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    PogoP, for sure, good advice aswell. Let me know if anyone ever need help with tornados.
    ambethia: yeah, i am switching site for my next stream, dont want to be a heartbreaker! ^^
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a small video of the scene here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG1qFKsJ1TQ"]Baroque Environment WIP - YouTube[/ame]
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    To be honest, I wasn't feeling it much before. But it looks amazing in realtime. Awesome atmosphere man. Good work!
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Nice to see it in realtime :) The curtain animation is a little weird, is it matinee? Love all of the textures and the atmosphere though! Looking forward to seeing what you add next

Quick question. I'm not sure if you're doing any breakdowns or anything at the end, but for the particles in the light from the window, are those actually lit or is it just a particle system that's only spawning right there with a bright material so it looks like they're lit? I'm trying to get my particles to react to light, but it doesn't work so well. I considered making two versions, dark and light, and having the light ones only spawn near the windows.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart: the curtains are placeholder, but the animation is a vertex shader. The particles in the windows are unlit, but only placed in the windows. Making lit particles is possible of course, but its also pretty expensive, you can easily fake it aslong as there is no moving lightsources ^^ So yes, your suggested approach sounds perfectly fine to me. Its more work-heavy, but alot cheaper aswell ^^
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I'm so happy that you'll rework those curtains... because I really dislike them. Everything else is just beautiful. I love it.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Another day, another quick asset! ^^

baroque37.jpg
  • NickGW
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking great Tor! I remember reading a while ago that you use Modo 501 for your normal mapping. As a Modo user myself I was wondering if you could go over how you can get assets to bake so well and come out looking great in UDK. What sorcery do you employ to accomplish this?!?!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    NickGW: thanks! Well, I dont know, I dont make anything special really, use smoothinggroups when needed, but try to avoid it as much as possible. One thing to note though, is that normalmaps are displayed wrong in the modo viewport, they only fixed that in 701. If you want your normalmap to display properly in 601 or earlier, you have to put the opacity at 50% :) Also, the renderers triangulation is different from the viewport triangulation, so if you want it to match up perfectly, triangulate your mesh before baking it :) (or just triangulate a copy and bake from that)

Aaand lazy sunday, I made a roof today for the main room:

roofrender.jpg
  • Coridium
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 10
    Great to start at the first page of this thread and watch 1 prop turn into 2 props, then 3, 4 and then before you know it there is a full scene. Nice work mate, looking forward to seeing more of this!
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    i'm really diggin' the scene in real time. Nice work.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    That high poly looks great man! Say, are you gonna bake it onto one texture? The asset is very symmetrical, it seems like you could bake 1/4 of it and mirror it for the LP. Save texture space and make it crispier.

Are you using a custom env cubemap on the reflections of your metals? That last prop you posted looks a bit dull and flat in the shadow, which is shame cos it seems like that normal would lend itself very well to some nice copper like spec/gloss readability.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    HP: yeah, I'm always mirroring as much as possible, almost all the assets in the scene are mirrored in several ways : ) I'm going to mirror the texture like you said, and use it for normalmap and base diffuse, and then use the lightmap -UVset for a tiling diffuse with vertexpaint for cracks and dirt : )

And yeah, right now its a custom cubemap from another level, which is why it doesnt match up. I need to setup a new one for this level, aswell as redoing the shader a bit to give it a bit more oomph, right now the cubemap is only in the diffuse channel so thats why everything looks a bit dull in the shadows, but I will do another pass on shaders soon I think. Also need to set up some more fakery for the reflections and lighting, its all a bit dull right now.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Snefer wrote: »
    Also need to set up some more fakery for the reflections and lighting, its all a bit dull right now.

Yeap, absolutely agree. I always find that reflections should be pumped a bit for the normals to read well, specially the glossiness. the key is to find that sweet spot between the flat look and the wet look. Right now, it looks very dusty and dry, which is also ok depending on what you want to achieve.

Would love to know a bit more on what kind of fakery you'll be doing. I was messing around with this kind of stuff myself this weekend and didn't get very far. I wanna try and play around with custom cubemaps too, sounds like the sweet spot between actual cubemaps and those weird blurry cubemaps they use on Mass Effect.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that is more or less what I'm doing actually, even though you cant really tell in this scene yet, need to go to DX9 mode and make a cubemap since its broken in DX11 >___<

Baked out the ceiling with temp texture and shader atleast : )

baroque38.jpg
    baroque39.jpg
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrapped up my candelier for the ceiling! : ) Guess this means I have to put some kind of light on it aswell, haha, would feel like a tiny bit of a waste otherwise, hmm. ^^

baroque41.jpg
    baroque40.jpg
  • iflingpoo
    Offline / Send Message
    iflingpoo polycounter lvl 18
    Wow looking nice! That's just purely kit bashing right? What's your inspiration, I realize it's baroque, but are you just making up patterns as you go along or did you go off reference for the chandelier?
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah, its only kitbashing in modo. I look at references alot for the general designs and shape to get ideas, and basically just grab the things I like and combine into what I want. Then I use my kitbashlibrary for the details, bonus is that I get a uniform style throughout. ^^
  • TheRealFroman
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Big fan here! ^^ Seeing your work really makes me want to learn this modo kitbashing technique you speak of... Sorry if this seems like kind of a dumb question in the face of all the awesomeness in this thread. But, to get all that intricate detail, do you merely create pre-built meshes in modo, and place them on and around a base object? I have yet to watch a livestream myself!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Well, the kitbashing works just as well in any other program, its just that I use modo, so. But yes, that is how I do it : )
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    could u explain a bit about kit bashing? would be great if u can post some wireframes
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban: i basically just build a bunch of different ornamental pieces like flowers and snirkly things, and then I just bend and combine them into the shapes I want. I'll post some examples next time : )

Finished the lowpoly and baked it out. One shot from the level, one shot unlit from modo, and one shot from UDKs model browser ^^

baroque42.jpg
    baroque43.jpg
    baroque44.jpg
  • mats effect
    Loving the detail on the light!
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    That's all Modos tangent space normal maps in udk ?
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, its all modos normals, baked without cage or anything, haha ^^
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    do you have 701? if so what improvements do you like that you find yourself using a lot?
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    That is really sexy. I like it.

I just think the overall effects are nice, except the chromatic aberration, which is a bit strong and deserve the quality of the scene.

In my opinion we should feel it, not see it. Pic related :)
  • cycloverid
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Is it weird that I want a de_rats version of this map? I want to be on that chandelier sniping people :P

Good work :)
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    coots: haven't had time to try modo 7 all that much, did a quick try with it and they fixed a few things, broke a few things. Nothing big for gamedevs though, from what i could tell. I swap between 501 and 601 ^^

Suba: yeah, that was a bit much, i have turned down the chromatic abberation with about 75% since that picture you posted though, so I feel that its at a good level now in the later pics ^^
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    man im glad your still plugging away at this snefer,,, makes me feel bad about abandoning a few projects in the time since though ;[)
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, yeah, I figured I'd finish up some things for once before moving on completely.

Updated some of the shaders a bit, like on the metal objects. Started using Dx11 reflections and specular. Also made some random papers etc, and a new wall-candleholder thing : ) Also added windanimation on all the cloth on the furniture aswell as the loose wallpaper. (but you cant see that ^^) Pretty low quality lightbake so its a bit full of artefacts.

baroque46.jpg
    baroque45.jpg
    baroque47.jpg
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Looks fantastic dude! That copper is reading really well!
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Erhmergerd, awesome work!
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot! Only a few assets left to make, even though I want to do a big revamp of the floor aswell, but i'll see if i can muster up the willpower to bother ^^
  • AkiRa
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    This is getting more awesome with every single asset you throw in there, Snefer! Amazing work!
    Would you mind telling us a bit about how you made the pages of those books i.e to make em really look like pages? (maybe a noobish question but yeah...)
    Would be great! :)
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa: Thanks! I basically just modelled a sheet of paper, did some bending variations and then copied those out to a stack, and then I just modelled the lowpoly around that, nothing complex really :) It holds up pretty well unless you get close ^^
  • AkiRa
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    Ah, okay, thank you!
    Thats exactly the way It did it last time but I looked not as half as good as yours...maybe the lack of experience. :D
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating this ever so slowly ^^ Added some effects for the windows, mmhhhh that dirty cameralens! Also added stuff like broken glass on the floor from the windows, some new placeholder curtains, more leaves etc. Slowly getting somewhere ^^

baroque48.jpg
    baroque49.jpg
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Added another room in the corridor, just so that I dont have such an abrupt end to the scene, getting some antler action in there, but wont make any special assets for it, just background stuff : )

baroque50.jpg
    baroque51.jpg
  • glenatron
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    The atmosphere is fantastic, and some of the detail you've gone to is phenomenal. The only thing that really pops out for me is how clean/eye bleedingly white the cloths are
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point! They catch the light a bit too much now yeah, might want to tone that down ^^
  • Wiktor
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    This is really starting to shape up (as if it was ever not in shape ^^), but you get what I mean. ^^ Looking really cool and moody!

One thing that's bothering me with the scene is both the material/texture on the protective cloth on the furniture because it looks too clean/artificial, as well as the fact that none of the furnitures are uncovered. I think it would be very cool if one of the sofas/chairs were either uncovered (and really dusty!) or just half-covered.

My two cents. :) Keep it up!
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing work Tor! Just oozing with atmosphere. Great modeling, and I absolutely love the wallpaper shader.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Offline / Send Message
    HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
    Watching the progress through this was awesome. I wanted to ask if your workflow differs much from the Eat3D tutorial you did. Been looking at it recently and am seriously tempted.
  • looprix
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    detail overload - I admire your patience :)
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Insane work Tor! Love the details :)
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!
    HomeGrownHeroz: Yes, my workflow is quite a bit different from the Eat3d tutorial, this environment is a lot less modular so there is alot more unique texturing here, wanted to push my detaillevel of props a little bit instead. I will do a breakdown of the workflow and everything once I am done with the scene. Which should be soon.
  • Pipotchi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Looks incredible! Just wondering though, will you be making the hole in the ceiling a bit more ragged? It feels kinda cut at the moment.