Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Car Model '72 Datsun 240Z

Hey all,

Here is my first try at modeling a car, I decided to choose a classic model with a fairly simple design. I'm looking for any type of feedback be as professionally critical as you'd like.

The high poly and low poly are near completion, I'm about to move on to unwrapping but would like to get in a few critiques before moving on to that stage.

Some future concerns.

- I'm struggling with what polycount I should keep the low poly at. I've never done a car before and not sure what the usual is. It's not a car made for say a car simulation game, I'm more so thinking something from a new GTA minus the interior. Keeping in mind It's an art piece for a portfolio.

- Texturing, I'm not to sure on how to go about or what's the best way on doing the windows. I'd like to make them look as if they have a really dark tint but with a faint reflection of clouds. I'm only using 3DS Max and Marmoset to render the finals out, It will not be going into any game engine. I've tried to look for some ideas on how to handle this on-line but haven't come across anything to my liking. Any suggestion is welcomed.

If you see any issues I may have further along in this process feel free to shout them out.

Thank you for taking a look at my work hope you enjoy it.

DatsunSS4_zps6ad79528.jpg

DatsunSS5_zps4c05c5f9.jpg

DatsunSS3_zpsde2ff4b5.jpg

DatsunSS2_zpsf7c31a9d.jpg

DatsunSS1_zpsa4782127.jpg

Replies

• Dawnson
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawnson polycounter lvl 7
    Front and rear window trim can use some more definition. Other than that looking sweeeeeeeeet.
  • Miguel_Oses
    I think some your curves aren't smoothing as well as the reference
    in the front lights for example (could be just the quality of the pictures) but it looks as if there was some nickeling going on
    Im also afraid that the tread detail might not get captured in the final bake properly. It almost feels like it could be a little bit smoother
  • ScottB
    Some more progress, getting the base textures flushed out.

I'm currently trying to figure out why there is light appearing from under the wheel well and onto the tire. I'm using Marmoset Toolbag with a default lighting atm. Not too worried about it now but will need to figure it out sooner or later.

Really appreciate the critiques keep them coming.

screenshot3_zpsa0705728.jpg
  • ScottB
    Didn't like how it was looking so I decided to take it back to the modeling phase. Here is the new high-poly. Made the interior, changed the rims/tires.,Also remodeled the back after realizing it wasn't accurate at all. Made a mini scene for it as well.

Enjoi.

Datsunfront_zps1cdd0ee7.jpg

DatsunBack_zps46c12da7.jpg

DatsunTop_zps703b1ebf.jpg

DatsunClose_zpsefeb22c1.jpg
  • John51
  • ScottB
    Thanks John much appreciated. Textures coming soon!
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Love it! One of my favorite cars.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I like the wheel change. It would be cool to see them have a deep dish or a bigger offset.

something with more 3d dimensionality. Similar to these rear wheels:

Nissan-GTR-D2FORGED-CV08-Concave-Wheels-02.jpg

Corvette%20Z06%2020%20Inch%20360%20Forged%20Concave%20Mesh%20Matt%20Black.jpg

Not necessarily the pattern, but just something deeper. And i would either wide body it, Or pull the back wheel in. Right now I'd say your going to trash that fender on the first bump you hit on the road :D

Edit: And Thiner tires i think. They look really beefy atm. I personaly find a low profile tire and slightly smaller wheel more attractive. than an extreme on either side. (really huge wheel, Tiny tire, or really small wheel, and huge tire)

18s with a medium to thin tire is ideal. But on a car like this, 17s and the same tire would look pretty slick IMO. The wheels you have here feel almost like 19's or 20's. which is massive for a little car like this.

Nissan-GTR-D2FORGED-CV08-Concave-Wheels-02.jpg<b>
  • ScottB
    s620ex1 wrote: »

Not necessarily the pattern, but just something deeper. And i would either wide body it, Or pull the back wheel in. Right now I'd say your going to trash that fender on the first bump you hit on the road :D

Edit: And Thiner tires i think. They look really beefy atm. I personaly find a low profile tire and slightly smaller wheel more attractive. than an extreme on either side. (really huge wheel, Tiny tire, or really small wheel, and huge tire)

18s with a medium to thin tire is ideal. But on a car like this, 17s and the same tire would look pretty slick IMO. The wheels you have here feel almost like 19's or 20's. which is massive for a little car like this.

Thanks for the input, can't stop looking at the size of the tires now that you pointed it out. Will definitely get on that, along with the deeper inset of the rims. Again thanks for the input really appreciate it.
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    The wheels are definately too large, which makes the car look rather cartoony imo. It also looks like the tyres are too wide for the wheels. Like s620ex1 said, 17" wheels would probably be a good choice with the look you seem to be going for, not any larger atleast. I'm also not a fan of the look of the wheels but that's just personal preference.

Here's a good example with 17" wheels, any larger doesn't look good on such an old car tbh:
    http://www.viczcar.com/sites/default/files/memberride/74/11.jpg
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Yea the wheels are too big and the rims are too flat, model looks good

The lighting problem, did you use a infinite directional light ?
  • ScottB
    Ok Fixed up the wheel and tire as to critiques. I feel like I've got the proportions down, if you still disagree let me know.
    The lighting wasn't a huge concern to me I just tossed some lights in to get a feel for how it will look.

Really appreciate all the critiques on this.

DatsunTireFix02_zpsc936177c.jpg

DatsunTireFix_zps0010c6da.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    can't wait to see this textured

good work :)
  • ScottB
    Approaching the finish line with this piece. Just plugging away, let me know what you think and fire away any suggestions. Thanks all.

Rendered in Marmoset.

DatsunbTexture02_zps035ee3f5.jpg

DatsunbTexture03_zps260055c3.jpg

DatsunbTexture05_zpsefb1d176.jpg

DatsunbTexture04_zps4e66c9e6.jpg

DatsunbTexture01_zpsd0e2f2ea.jpg
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Looks great, really liking the wheels :D

Maybe the car could reflect some more light, I think it would really push it to the next level :) Also have you tried or experimented with some more paint/wheel colour combinations? I think yellow would look sweet on it >:D
  • ScottB
    I don't know if it's Marmoset or me but I've been trying to get a reflective look in the paint. I'm using a gloss map, If i just mess around with the Spec Sharpness in marmoset it just changes how the light hits the car. It doesn't actually give a reflective look.
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Hmmm maybe try giving the paint full white on the gloss map (It has to be stored in the specular map alpha I believe). Then turn the spec intensity, sharpness and Fresnel high, I'm sure that will reflect some (It also depends on what type of sky you're using to I think).
  • Josh Mount
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh Mount polycounter lvl 6
    1971_Datsun_240Z_Original_Restored_Front_1.jpgI think the wheels are still too big but if your not going for accuracy...
  • ScottB
    Hey Josh, I personally don't like the small wheels / tire look on the car. I wanted to stick with accuracy with the body but change up the wheels. I will however go back after I'm finished with the texturing and shrink the wheels down to see if my opinion has changed though.
  • Josh Mount
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh Mount polycounter lvl 6
    ScottB wrote: »
    Hey Josh, I personally don't like the small wheels / tire look on the car. I wanted to stick with accuracy with the body but change up the wheels. I will however go back after I'm finished with the texturing and shrink the wheels down to see if my opinion has changed though.

Ah, yea. The body looks perfect. You did a really good job. Gratz
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Really awesome work! I do agree with Josh though. I'm a big z-car fan and you don't see a lot with bigger wheel / lower profile tires so it looks a little matchboxy to me but that's just my opinion. Really great work though! Love the Fairlady Z mirrors. :)
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Your render is really bland. Get some real lighting in there, put specularity higher, make it more glossy, car paint is highly reflective unless its 100% covered in dust
    Get rid of this brown background, that only makes it more dull. The datsun logo is really low resolution, i would really fix that.

If you want a night scene, then get more contrast, put the background black and give the light a strong falloff

The rubber on your tires looks a bit strange, maybe go just a little bit lighter in grey for them. And im not sure if the white logo on them helps, they make it look modern with those modern rims , and overall theyre insane broad, like 2 times the usual size

The model is nice, and the texturing looks pretty good but the lighting now makes insane difference and you need to take time for this.