Replies

• Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    We do that manually. Try Topogun.
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    Not sure if this has been asked already, but do we submit the set items individually? or together?

I was just wondering how the community would judge them as a set if they were submitted individually. I think the Hound Set was submitted together as an example? So for that you just assemble both items in the same project and export a single .upk?

Edit - Thanks Zelfit!
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    As I understood, set should be submitted in one zip:
    Also If I make set, I should upload two items: one for helmet and one for weapon, right?

And also where should I put the tag? In the description or there will be option after I upload it to Workshop?

A: Yes the UPK and relevant source files should be packaged together, in the case of a set of multiple items, they should all be included in the same file. Tag the item in the uploader, using the "Polycount Contest" tag when you create your submission.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    In the submission guidelines you specifically mentioned

"The only adjustments allowed are: Brightness/Contrast, Levels, Sharpness, and Hue/Saturation."

Is it ok to add borders, our name, email and other things that are not post effects to our presentation shots? Like replacing the background with a solid color instead of udks gradient.

A: yes thats ok
  • Imperium101
    Can I have a glossiness map for my sword ?

A: no, you can only have an environment map mask, which controlls the level of environment cube map intensity that gets added to your final result.
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    No, you can't.

I still have strange issue with my submission, even when I ask my steam-friends to vote for my submission, they can't. They get: "There was a problem submitting your request" error. I see few of them voted ok, but other guys still receive error in browser and in the client as well.
  • Imperium101
    Are you sure ? Because my gold material relies heavily on it...

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140143

Here is my sword without glossiness:

33.jpg

And with glossiness:

34.jpg
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Yes I am. Read the rules, technical specification and weapon tutorial.
  • Imperium101
    They said it is required to have a specular map, normal and diffuse. They didn't say "only" or "no glossiness map for sword" I believe.

It is written : "Gloss is only necessary for helmets." Therefore, gloss is not necessary for my sword but I can use it, no ?

Could we have an official clarification, Dylan Brady ?

A: The weapon shader for Chivalry does not support a gloss map, however it does support an environment map mask which can achieve similar results. For the most part, using your specular map as an environment map mask will give good enough results for your weapon.
  • Imperium101
    Also, should I do my diffuse map for my low poly or for my high poly ?

A: the diffuse map should be for your low poly
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions Dylan! I've got another, hopefully my last one... Do crossbows require blood masks? If not, can I instead utilize that map for the EnvironmentMapMask map instead?

A: Crossbows and bows do not require blood masks. If you want, you can utilize that map for the EnvironmentMapMask, but usually the specular map will look good enough in that slot.
  • McGuire
    Offline / Send Message
    McGuire polycounter lvl 4
    Zelfit wrote: »
    As I understood, set should be submitted in one zip:

Can I please get a little more clarification on this? I'm submitting a set, weapon and helm -- Which section from the drop down should I use? I know to tag it as polycount contest. But should I select weapon or helm?

The files I'm zipping for the mod (.tga's and .fbx's) are copies and NOT the files in the packages - should I rebuild the packages with the files from this final location?

I'm really excited to turn the final for my set in, and I'd hate to screw the pooch on the turn in.

A: As long as the polycount contest tag is on your item, it doesn't matter if you select weapon or helmet.
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    I asked your question too, but didn't get answer. So I'v submitted my first set into weapons. I think it doesn't matter, because 'weapon' is just a tag, as well as 'polycount contest'
    As for final zip, as i understand that you need to send two game ready UPK and the copies of textures and models.
  • McGuire
    Offline / Send Message
    McGuire polycounter lvl 4
    I asked your question too, but didn't get answer. So I'v submitted my first set into weapons. I think it doesn't matter, because 'weapon' is just a tag, as well as 'polycount contest'
    As for final zip, as i understand that you need to send two game ready UPK and the copies of textures and models.

my UPKs are ready but the files in the zip are copies of the textures, not the actual sources for the textures in the UPK. If you right clicked on my textures and went source>explore they would be in another location other than the folder I'm zipping to turn in -- do I need to rebuild my packages so that the UPKs reference the .zip'd folder?

A: You do not need to rebuild your packages referencing the .zip'd folder. Including the .fbx and .tga's outside of the .upk is just for our ease of use to take a look at the files in programs other than the SDK without exporting them.
  • jnumber9
    Offline / Send Message
    jnumber9 triangle
    Hello! Just two questions!

1) Can anyone explain how you import your characters armed with weapon and helmets inside the scene? I mean I am able to make test screens inside AnimSet Editor but unable to import all of these in the scene (where the big box and the sky)

A: just drag the skeletal mesh from the asset browser into the scene. if you need to align the objects with a character, just put the character and the sword in the scene. enable socket snapping and display sockets click on the sword, then click on the socket you wish to attach the sword too. then select it from the popup list.

2) is this possible to turn off the vingeting in animset editor?

A: i don't know sorry :(

Any information and manuals will help!
    Thank you!
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Is there any way to get flail animation working inside AnimSet Edtitor? It looks so straight for preview
    A: try this
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
    Can anyone answer the questions brought up in my thread? It didn't seem like some giant leap in aesthetics or mechanics at the time but this dude has questioned my entry enough that I think I might have accidentally modeled an AK47.

A: the bounds of a weapon should not differ significantly from the base weapon. things to consider: the "damaging" area of the weapon should not be mismatched in any way (length of a blade, placement of an axehead, etc) and the handle should match exactly wherever the hands of the character are to grip it, so to avoid clipping through the fingers.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    So would it be possible to submit a separate hitbox for the new shape?
    A: no, our game does no use hitboxes for calculating weapon hits/blocks, we use tracers attached to bones which cannot change per weapon class.
    if you can find a type of weapon that fits relatively well with the shape yours uses than you can fudge it a little bit. but anything obviously different will confuse players as to weather there being hit or not and what they should block.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen the tracers. Side note for anybody playing the game: type aoc_drawtracer 1 in the console. It's a good training tool and it looks pretty cool.

Would it be possible to make a new set of bones (and presumably parry boxes) then? Is there some documentation I should look for?

A: It is not possible to add new parry boxes and bones for these weapons skins. In your instance specifically, the scythe blade is probably diverging too much from the shape/size of the quarterstaff. I would suggest trying to replace the vanguard's billhook model, however you would need a thrusting point on the end of it to still look as though it can do piercing damage.
  • audi100
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Hello i have some question regarding the submission of workshop items.

Contest rules state:
    +All submissions to the Steam Workshop for this contest must be final. Use your WIP thread on Polycount to show your work-in-progress.

Does that also apply to submissions that happened way before the deadline so would i be disqualified if i edit it?

Which leads to the follow up question.
    Is there a way to edit already published entries. I tried to use the copy setting option with the same title but it would give me an error that i have no valid connection to steam. "The tool also has an import function to allow you to easily reupload items already uploaded to the Workshop." Found this in the update blog so was kind of positive that this would work.

Thank you

A: Currently reuploading an item to the workshop isn't functioning properly for the curated workshop, so you'll need create a new workshop item in order to make any changes. Reuploading only works for maps/mods at the moment.
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    How about deleting submission and re-uploading? Will it be ok?

A: thats probably you best bet at this point. Remember, your submission to the workshop should be considered final, theres no need to upload it early if you plan on doing more work to it.
  • Imperium101
    How do you the presentation shots with multiple views of charachter with weapon but all in one image with grey background as I have seen in many WIP threads ?

A: I would assume they are compositing them in Photoshop. but I could be wrong. There is no way to have multiple characters, with different animations, in the same skeletal mesh preview window.
  • Eclypse
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclypse polycounter lvl 7
    I submitted my item on the workshop, but its not showing up on the items tab. Others have submitted at a later time Is showing up. Any reason why this could be happening? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=321242801

A: you need to input your payment information for them to be pushed live (thanks zelfit)
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    You need to submit all payment details.
  • islipaway
    Offline / Send Message
    islipaway polycounter lvl 10
    I've seen a few people asking how to/if it's possible to put the models in game to view. The closest I have been able to get is to open one of the maps in the editor and drop the a character in and pose it, which is a bit more interesting than the grey socket editor box, and lets you control lighting. Here's a quick tutorial on how to set the character up in game to display your new weapon/helmet, hope it's of use to someone!

http://www.dropmocks.com/iHLcD9
  • Eclypse
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to submit all payment details.

I've submitted my payment info a few days ago. I am still waiting on my tax information to be confirmed. Is this normal? Will I still qualify for the contest if I am still waiting for confirmation after October 6th?

VuPtv2T.jpg
    A: you wont be disqualified if your submission is being blocked by this. please make sure to email us polycountcontest@tornbanner.com. as for why your tax information isnt going through I cant say whats happening. well try to reach out to valve about this.
  • artizan
    Offline / Send Message
    artizan polycounter lvl 9
    you didn't have to buy the game, you could ask for a temporary serial key just to enter the contest.
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Eclypse wrote: »
    I've submitted my payment info a few days ago. I am still waiting on my tax information to be confirmed. Is this normal? Will I still qualify for the contest if I am still waiting for confirmation after October 6th?

VuPtv2T.jpg

My tax information was accepted right away...you might want to restart it to see what you have missed something during that process.
    Did you ever press that "change tax information" though? Mine had the same notification that you have before in changed my tax info.
  • JacobSutton2
    Hey i have my weapon set up in the sdk but i dont know how to assign it to a character and have them do various animations with the weapon equipped and there is no documentation at all on how to do that.

A: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140774
  • Imperium101
    The reference mesh broadsword on your download link has 3 bones, hence mine has also 3, is that normal ? Apparently, in the SDK, the broadsword has 2 bones...
  • Zelfit
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Read tutorial on helmet. You need to use socket manager within Animset editor. In tutorial they place helmet on helmetPoint socket, you can do the same with weapons.
  • Imperium101
    Also, I have a problem with my weapon. It has the same coordinates as the broadsword but is not aligned ! How can I align them in UDK ?
  • Imperium101
    For a reason I dont understand, the moving point of my weapon is out of itself in the udk...
  • jackalope
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    I am following the weapon tutorial and I zeroed out the rot origin, then I copied the sockets from the base halberd onto mine and it looks like this

4zsySRB.png

Mine is on the left and is obviously wrong.
    Any insite on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Who do we have to bribe to get an extension on the deadline ? :D

We can't move the deadline at all unfortunately. the polycount contest schedule is set in stone. Keep in mind however, if your submission misses the deadline, it will still potentially be considered to be put in the game later down the road, so go ahead and submit it anyways.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    So I am having an issue importing my skeletal mesh. My first submission went fine but with this one, UDK locks up completely only when importing the skeletal mesh. Any ideas?

A: hard to say forsure. but double check that your .FBX doesnt have any dummy objects in it. sometimes skeletal meshes exported from the game have a dummy object added to them with the same name as the mesh in your scene. when you reimport it back into the engine it causes our SDK to crash. if you're still having troubles we can take a look at your mesh.
  • Imperium101
  • Imperium101
    The reference mesh broadsword on your download link has 3 bones, hence mine has also 3, is that normal ? Apparently, in the SDK, the broadsword has 2 bones...

Actually, the broadsword in SDK also has 3 bones, so I guess it's fine. BUT PLS answer my other question.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    9thKnight wrote: »
    So I am having an issue importing my skeletal mesh. My first submission went fine but with this one, UDK locks up completely only when importing the skeletal mesh. Any ideas?

A: hard to say forsure. but double check that your .FBX doesnt have any dummy objects in it. sometimes skeletal meshes exported from the game have a dummy object added to them with the same name as the mesh in your scene. when you reimport it back into the engine it causes our SDK to crash. if you're still having troubles we can take a look at your mesh.

It is also possible that you have grouped either your rig, or your mesh. If either is in a group, UDK will crash when importing it. Funny bug, but easy enough to fix by ungrouping both your rig and mesh, clearing any history, then exporting both of them together to the same .fbx file.
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    ParadoxTLH wrote: »
    It is also possible that you have grouped either your rig, or your mesh. If either is in a group, UDK will crash when importing it. Funny bug, but easy enough to fix by ungrouping both your rig and mesh, clearing any history, then exporting both of them together to the same .fbx file.

I did a test by making my own bones with the same positions and rotations as the ones from the sample warhammer file and they import fine. Every time with the warhammer source bones, it crashes. When I reimport that fbx into max, the bones are corrupted and turned into dummies. I have tried this in a couple different versions of max all with the same results.
  • Imperium101
    How can you make the charachter pose in the way you want in udk ? My weapon is already on the good socket, but I do not know how to change the position of the character.
  • islipaway
    Offline / Send Message
    In the animset editor (double click character in content browser) there are 3 tabs, Mesh, Anim and Morph. Go to the Anim tab and choose one of the animsets that are appropriate for your character (they are logically named so you should be able to work it out) then in the area beneath a list of animations will appear and you can choose which one you want to see. At the bottom left of the area where the character is displayed on a grey background there is a small play button (looks like an arrow pointing right) and a timeline slider so you can see the animation play out and see each frame individually.
  • Imperium101
    But my weapon is not snapped to is hand. And on the map, he hasn't changed position.
  • islipaway
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want it to happen on the map you need to first set the pose by manually entering in the values from the animset editor into the properties of the mesh (double click the character in the main editor window, not the content browser) then once the pose is set attach the weapons/helms by turning on socket snap mode then clicking first on the item then the character then choosing the point (they are logically named).
  • Imperium101
  • Eclypse
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclypse wrote: »

VuPtv2T.jpg
    A: you wont be disqualified if your submission is being blocked by this. please make sure to email us polycountcontest@tornbanner.com. as for why your tax information isnt going through I cant say whats happening. well try to reach out to valve about this.

Finally got the tax info to work! Thanks everyone :):):)
  • Imperium101
    Could someone help me pls ? I do not know how to copy the values, or even which values to copy.
  • Imperium101
    Found the solution. Everything fine. Thanks for the explanations, I was just too sleepy, that's all (too much modelling :))
  • alexd
    Do i need to have UDK installed ? Because only the cooking menu shows when i launch the editor 0_0
  • alexd
    Im sorry, found the launch editor icon :)