Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    thanks guys! will test it out asap.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry, Noob question here. What is the best way to model this shoes, especially the sole?
    menwomennikeshoxr4torch.jpg
    Btw, I work with 3ds Max and Mudbox only. Please, help me, and i'd be grateful.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    If its going to be baked down into normals, I would try and do it in post, drawing out a height map and converting it to normals or using nDo 2. You could also use that as an alpha to "sculpt with image" in mudbox if you need it in the high. Otherwise you could model out the patterns, subdivide them and trim off the excess.
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    I would personally model 2 sets of patterns with bevels instead of subd > trim with either a shape with the outline (ie proboolean)> fix ngons> add smooth modifier set to around between 30-45> bake Normal map.

The pattern to the right side. I would model the stripes with proper smoothing first> then use ffd box to match the siloutette.

Reason why i would model it is cuz you get more control over how it looks more than sculpting.
  • spectre1130
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    So I've been trying to model this piece in my spare time for a couple of days now and still am having trouble coming out on top. This piece is a ring around a sci-fi grenade I came up with. The problem is cutting the hole in the cylinder shape, reinforcing the sides of the hole to keep a more geometric shape(I don't want a round hole), and the support edges from reinforcing those sides running up the vertical and causing that pinch you see. I can't figure out how to terminate, or run the edges differently to avoid this.

Another problem I need to solve is when I get around to duplicating those sides of the holes, I'm going to be making light type fixtures out of them for a cool look. I'm going to want to make an instance, but since they will be at such a weird angle I know trying to model one well like that will be stupid. How do I get a polygon that is not sitting on an axis properly in MAX to sit flat on all 3 axis??? I saw someone do a similar technique in Maya, but don't know the equivalent in MAX.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help!

curvedRing_probs2.png
    curvedRing_probs2_wire.png
  • okno
    I would just terminate like this:
    ehzEBft.png
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Hello dear polycounters, i am having issues trying to replicate the middle cylinder thingy:

e2coru78.jpg

Here's what i get:

3917e3a922ce55188297a15f0ba1c1e3.png?1360097278
    4e717440a610eb2dff15909299d8bfa5.png?1360097307
    a50689d379f2443bb0afb9c617fccf0c.png?1360097758

Any help would be apreciated.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Lephenix wrote: »
    Hello dear polycounters, i am having issues trying to replicate the middle cylinder thingy:

Here's what i get:

3917e3a922ce55188297a15f0ba1c1e3.png?1360097278
    4e717440a610eb2dff15909299d8bfa5.png?1360097307
    a50689d379f2443bb0afb9c617fccf0c.png?1360097758

More geo lol. If you make the initial cylinder shape with more sides, the extrusion off of it wont get that pinching. Your support loop structure is right, but you just need more sides to the initial shape.
  • Lephenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    BARDLER wrote: »
    More geo lol. If you make the initial cylinder shape with more sides, the extrusion off of it wont get that pinching. Your support loop structure is right, but you just need more sides to the initial shape.

Alright, thank you for the quick answer :).
  • spectre1130
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    okno wrote: »
    I would just terminate like this:
    ehzEBft.png

Thanks I'll try that. It looks like you started with a higher sided cylinder than I did.
  • Steppenwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Lephenix wrote: »

In the corners you have two triangles. Remove the edge inbetween to make it a quad. Will smooth better and maybe fix already your problem. Otherwise more geo.
  • timotronprime
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    Am having some problems with concave corners on a curved surface:

5KqmJc9.png

The red outline is the result I want and I'm wondering are there any tricks for concave corners (similar to the convex corner topology method) before I kind of brute force this with more geo.

Thanks!

(Software is Maya)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Am having some problems with concave corners on a curved surface:

5KqmJc9.png

The red outline is the result I want and I'm wondering are there any tricks for concave corners (similar to the convex corner topology method) before I kind of brute force this with more geo.

Thanks!

(Software is Maya)

You need more supporting loops. I would highly suggest reading through this thread to get a better understanding. It's worth it. Also just mess around with it man.
  • nnq2603
    Offline / Send Message
    nnq2603 polycounter lvl 5
    Sub-d recover app: www.mariussilaghi.com/products/subd-recovery

I've found a maxscript similar behavior, sub-d reverse:

*MOD EDIT: download link removed; please do a bit of research what you're posting, subdivision reversion is another paid-for plugin from the same author: http://www.mariussilaghi.com/products/subdivision-reversion *

Which default/standard sub-d algorithm for 3dsmax? Catmull Clark?... Try reverse sub-d on my model and it skew it up (and quite cpu intensive in process).. (Version 3ds Max 9).

Scrshot:
    sub_d1.jpg

Any other sub-d types, I tried all of them. Pick type, press Reverse and nothing happens. It doesn't process anything at all, maybe not support or invalid sub-d type for this case. Only Catmull Clark process but endup messed object like image above.

I thought result suppose to be something like this (which is my wireframed object without sub-d):
    subd_cage.jpg
  • okno
    You need more supporting loops. I would highly suggest reading through this thread to get a better understanding. It's worth it. Also just mess around with it man.

Yeah it needs support loops in the corner. To terminate the support loops cleanly you need just-enough-surrounding-geo™ no need to brute-force it.

dcTjyoT.png
  • pr1mus
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1mus polycounter lvl 8
    I have a really Dumb Question :/

If I have a Cube, how is the best way, to get a hole or circle like inset in it (I'm working with blender)? I hope, this question issn't to dumb.

Regards, pr1mus
  • WarrenM
    pr1mus

Typically I just lay a circle template on the face I want to have the hole in, delete the face itself, then bridge the outside of the template to the surrounding geometry. It works for most holes I need to punch into stuff.

SubdA.jpg

And voila:

SubdB.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, massive jar of e-cookies to anyone who can solve this one.

I want the hard shapes on the top of the left one, and the rounded shape on the bottom the right one.

shaper.jpg

Basically, I want it like this:
    shape3x.jpg
    shape2.jpg

But as you can see I'm getting a lot of pinching and whatnot. We've tried a lot of different approaches but no luck so far, so the usual "add more support edges" is no help here unfortunately. No matter what we do we're getting pinching and ugly artifacts. The only solution we can think of is making the top and the bottom two separate pieces.

So... anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: To anyone who want to give this a shot: It's an 8-sided cylinder with top topology like this:

shape4.jpg
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Your support loop structure is correct, you just need more geo. Start with a cylinder that is 4-5 times as many sides.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    We tried that. The problem is that I lose the shape of the top part, it becomes round because of all the extra segments of the cylinder. I need to do a lot of extra work just to get the top shape the way I want. I don't think it's the best solution.
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Something like this ? :)ibgvY7LeyTdx5e.png
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    It's definitely good! But you're getting pinching. :/

It's such a weird shape, maybe it's not even possible to get a clean result using just one object.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    it just needs more loops for a softer transition between the hexogonal and the circular shapes
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Well if you go from a 6-8 sided cylinder to a smooth cylinder on a surface that isn't flat there is always gonna be a tiny bit of weirdness afaik, look at a sort of equivalent real life example:

http://www.portlandbolt.com/image/products/full/hex_bolt1.jpg

The only problem left in the version respawnrt posted is that he goes from the 8 sides to a cylinder over the whole area, so you can just control that inside a small loop (this one has les segments, but it's basicly the same thing with the more geo version above).

Left side would be more like a bolt in real life, the right one tries to hide that, it's not perfect but with textures and such it might not be to visible. (or more segments is probably also gonna improve this since they won't have to much such a big distance each to make a circle).

87510194.jpg

I hope that helps a bit, If I find some time today I'll try to do the whole thing and maybe find a better solution.
  • nnq2603
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1mus wrote:

If I have a Cube, how is the best way, to get a hole or circle like inset in it (I'm working with blender)? I hope, this question issn't to dumb.

Regards, pr1mus
    One of most popular way to go (8side)
    cubecirclehole.jpg

Another way is less circular than, but more simple (if sometime you just need a really small hole), only use 4side poly.
    cubecirclehole.jpg

Extent it to more practical example:
    cubecircleholeextent.jpg
    Hope it help.
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    pr1mus wrote: »

Regards, pr1mus

Subdivide the cube >Select the centre vertex> W Key> LoopTools> Circle

You will need to make sure looptools is active in the prefs> Addons.
  • pr1mus
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1mus polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, thanks for all the answers :)

Got another problem. For a Tutorial, where I am modeling a Watch, there is a Step I can't complete -.-

VW0QSI9.png

This is a Piece with Mirror Modifier on it. I had to delete the Front face like here:
    Step 1
    37_.jpg

Step 2
    38_.jpg

After this step, I have to create the Faces in this area, but my subsurf won't work correctly.

I hope, this is understandable. The Tutorial Link: http://blendermesh.dasya.com/creating-a-fancy-watch-in-blender
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    You have faces on the edge of the inside of the mirror line where the mirrored parts connect. Delete those and it will work correctly. :)
    pr1mus wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for all the answers :)

Got another problem. For a Tutorial, where I am modeling a Watch, there is a Step I can't complete -.-

VW0QSI9.png

This is a Piece with Mirror Modifier on it. I had to delete the Front face like here:
    Step 1
    37_.jpg

Step 2
    38_.jpg

After this step, I have to create the Faces in this area, but my subsurf won't work correctly.

I hope, this is understandable. The Tutorial Link: http://blendermesh.dasya.com/creating-a-fancy-watch-in-blender
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv wrote: »
    I hope that helps a bit, If I find some time today I'll try to do the whole thing and maybe find a better solution.
    I would definitely like that! What you have now is pretty close but I would love to see the final shape since it involves a few more support edges running down the middle, which fucked it up for us earlier. I would just like to see you attempt it if you have time! Just to see if you run into the same problems or have found a work around.

Thanks man!
  • pr1mus
    Offline / Send Message
    pr1mus polycounter lvl 8
    This is what I get:

nASA6VU.png

2dCXd3Q.png
  • EarthQuake
    The problem with this shape is that it just doesn't really make much 3d sense. Do you have some reference of the object you're trying to create?
  • nnq2603
    Offline / Send Message
    It's such a weird shape, maybe it's not even possible to get a clean result using just one object.
    My question what exactly you want to describe the top shape of this object? -->Is it circular or hexagonal? I mean the surface that 2 boxes extrude up from. See 2 cases below:
    hex_cir_trans_1.jpg
    • If it's hexagon, then logically there has to be pinch in transition between hex and circular. (IMO, It's about geometrical rule, where the angle different between 2 surface happens to connect each other, it had to be uneven, something you need to accept. If anything in reallife is this case, it also must be pinch, not be able perfectly smooth)
    • If it's circular surface, then it's a solvable issue.
    hex_cir_trans_2.jpg

You can make the bottom cylinder seperately object with 48side, then make the top part with suitable edges popularity, then bridge/connect them without problem. The transition will be smooth. Example pic above, is quite loose accurate, distance between elements or hardedge value may different, adjustable but you get the idea. (Sorry about my English)
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    The problem with this shape is that it just doesn't really make much 3d sense. Do you have some reference of the object you're trying to create?
    I know, me and my teacher discussed this, it's geometrically weird. I don't have any refs, I just figured it would look cool. I guess in real life, a part like this would initially be two parts welded together or something.

I'm making it for my scifi weapon, it's supposed to be the top part of coil/side gas canister or whatever.

40857424.jpg

60971835.jpg

That's how it is right now, just beveled all around. I just wanted the top part to be shaped like the rest of the object (perfectly rounded). We couldn't really find a good way to do this at school, so I figured I'd ask here.

nnq2603, not quite sure what you're asking about. But looking at your mesh I'd say it's very nice. Not exactly what I had in mind but like EQ said, it doesn't even make a lot of sense to begin with.

Thanks guys! I have to think about how I want this shape but I appreciate you all taking the time to help out. :)
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, sorry for quick double post. I think I got it to look decent. Pretty weird topology but I think it will suffice.

Just figured I'd share in case someone would like to model it for whatever reason.

part1kk.jpg

part2s.jpg

Edit:
    Final tweaks. Edited the two verts along the center. Here it is in its final context.

91629266.jpg
    52654602.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    Oa dude that's a really small shape :) you're zooming on that rifle like it's a spaceship haha, don't think i would've have bothered that much with it and the pinhching won't even be visible from baked normal map :))
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, maybe. Good practice nonetheless.
  • nnq2603
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, there's some objects that I'd like to know how you usually model it? Sometime creating such sub-d objects not rely in making evenly-sharp hardedge but also transition between surfaces and the way buildup base one.

1. A vase with triangular top face, circular middle section, and square bottom face.
    mini_01.gifsd_01.jpg

2. A shape transform from hardedge to smooth edge.
    sd_02.jpgsd_02.jpgsd_02.png

Once you done, just post images of objects with visible wireframe (lowest level wireframe). Let's see if some method is more preferable than others, I'll post my own afterward (my mesh isn't necessary prefered one, that's why I post here, thanks for any suggestions).
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    For the first shape, use something called Connect which is found in the compound objects in max.You adjust the in-between segments and something called tension, but you gotta clean some triangles after.Zt9jk3H.png
  • nnq2603
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt Do you use Max as primary app? I think your way is somehow overkill, maybe in 1st glance, you come up with that, but definitely not prefered method in this certain object. But I'd like to see another take from you or anyone else.
  • SPYFF
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Recommend to the attention of these two video from Xoliul: cg.tutsplus.com
    Especially interesting is the Loft tool, which complex transitions made very easy and controllable!
  • natec
    Offline / Send Message
    natec polycounter lvl 14
    If you use connect it might be easier to start with the lowest amount of polygons necessary so its easier to control and cleanup.
  • nnq2603
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my method that I said at beginning (considers it as the answer or solution until someone suggests me better one):
    sd_01_A1.jpg
    sd_01_bridge.jpg
    sd_01_topbottom.jpg
    More details for anyone that not familiar with sub-d modeling: (I'm still learning so I want make better explaination for people like me.
    1. There's a triangle, a circle and a square. You need to make a model out of them.
    2. If just pure object (no further complex detail in surface), then usually the way to go is make the right parts separately and bridge in editpoly.
    3. We know triangle requires 3, the square 4 and circle doesn't limit. So we need minimum edge popularity, --> 3x4=12. So creates square 3 segments for each side, triangle 4 segments for each side and circle 12 sides. All of them now 12 sides (total of segments/edges is equal -> required to be able (quad) bridge, otherwise you still be able bridge but it'll be a mess that u've to fix later, and we don't let it happens.)
    4. After you got correct separate parts, the next steps isn't problem. Just accuracy and clearly make align, delete unwanted faces, bridge.
    5. Final make loops to hold hardedge from existed edges instead of created new loop and have to deal with extra smoothness issue related to cylinder form. (use connect, cut for edges...)

This is why sub-division modeling is good and solid method. We don't necessarily required many poly at first to push out a result.

sd_01_wireframe2.png
    sd_01_wireframe1.png
  • nnq2603
    Offline / Send Message
    Object 2 is regular way to go. So just wireframe maybe enough.
    sd_02_wireframe.jpg
    image sharing

My opinion:
    • This requires hardedge evenly transfer to smooth mesh. So At first, make base mesh, then create loops.
    • But typical loops will provide evenly sharp edges which we don't want. So in my way, have to manually cut new loop (from the point you want it change smoothness/hardeness) that gradually increase distance between new vertices with orininal vertices (in the lines we want have smooth transition). After done, deleted the old loop part.
    • Select face that uneven cause by manual cutting new loops, and use Relax command or relax modifier (require collapse afterward).

IMO, it's not really good method because manually cut new loop sometime uncomfortable task. But now it's my way. Nice to take suggestions from everyone.
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF wrote: »
    Recommend to the attention of these two video from Xoliul: cg.tutsplus.com
    Especially interesting is the Loft tool, which complex transitions made very easy and controllable!
    Yeah cool stuff i personally didn't knew loft can do that haha my bad.Here's one example with loft, i think this is by far the best method as you can tweak the shapes on the fly and the lofted shape reflects that, you can also go crazy and add whatever radius you want to square and triangle shapes all in realtime.
    Onci8HR.png
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Brygelsmack:

Maybe you can divide the part into two different parts.
    My idea woud be that the screw-thing will be screwed into the base. This would make the whole geo much easier (and mybe more believable as you can say the "screw-thing" is something to adjust something or simply holds the object together). :)
  • nnq2603
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, loft works too. And it's automatic procedural, don't have to analysing model/object at first. But doesn't hurt to model it like every other low powly objects, just need fair edges plan and such. Thanks for loft method suggestion.
  • vassili_zaytsev
    Brygelsmack, I would absolutely love for a wireframe of your gun model. I'm trying really hard to achieve detail similar to that but I am having tons of trouble achieving it with the clean result you have achieved in yours. Is a lot of that stuff floating geometry or is it not? Is a lot of it modelled as many different mesh pieces and then just kind of snuggled into place? Especially the cylindrical pieces would be great to see because cylinders and other curved surfaces are giving me a ton of trouble.

Extremely nice looking model and I understand if you want to keep the WF hidden.

Thanks!
  • vassili_zaytsev
    @Brygelsmack:

Hey dude, I love the gun model you are working on and was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing some wireframes. I am trying very hard to achieve similar levels of details on my models but am coming across a lot of problems using sub-D. Is there a lot of floating point geometry in there or no? Also, I'm assuming there's a lot of modular components to that gun that are modelled separately and just snuggled into place?

Its just a very clean, high detailed and inspiring model over all but I will understand if you don't want to share the wireframes.

Thank you!
  • Spiffy664
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    Hello! I am learning 3D stuff. my low poly and bake are pretty bad, lol, but I was wondering if their is a way to make tubes coming out of the top part.. I know it'd probably involve the CV or EP curve tool, but idk how to make it like match up with the little ports on the top there.

Any help would be appreciated :D

side note: the current tubes I made by just extruding the edge and soft select moving it about.. but that is pretty ugly :(

J63yd8K.png
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    You can extrude along a curve for those. You can find that option if you open the extrude options dialog. Make a curve snapped to the center vert at the origin and then use an ortho view to snap the rest of the points in and snap the last one to the center of the faces you want it to connect to. If you want it to be a perfect semi-circle use the arc tool and snap your points to the centers.