Home Dota 2

Does my set have any realistic chance?

Hey all,

I put my set up (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222330531) on the workshop awhile ago. Some of the items made it to the front page, one of them hitting the top row for a bit. However, looking at some of the other sets, I have way less ratings/visits.

Does this mean my earthshaker set has no chance of making it into the store? I'm just wondering whether I should not get my hopes up for this set and refocus my emotions on a new project.

Thanks,
Jarm

Replies

• Jarm
    For the benefit of others, a couple of mistakes I made:

-Making my reddit threads a link to the collection or an imgur link rather than one of the items, since votes towards collections seem to have no effect at all on the child items' positions in the workshop queue.

-Uploading my items a day early, hiding them, then making changes to my satisfaction over the course of the next day. It seems like items are stealth "downvoted" for every day they've been on the workshop. Does anyone have confirmation/contradiction for this?
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Love that set! Sadly I don't think there's any way of knowing that, or else everyone would be using a specific method to get their items in game. In my experience all you can do is submit your best work, advertise, and wait. I have no items in game so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm pretty sure the method here is create --> submit --> work on the next project (as obsessing over one item won't propel it anywhere, it just wastes time that could be used on getting more stuff out there). Don't be discouraged though, lots of people here said it took quite some time until their first item got in. When you create for dota you're signing an unwritten contract that may or may not be fulfilled, you just need to accept the fact that your time and effort may not amount to anything in terms of getting an item in game. It's a time sink that may or may not work out, just move on and keep doing your best is all I know how to do.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    It's a great set, I don't see why Valve wouldn't like it.

Votes aren't everything.

All I can say is good luck!
  • Jarm
    Thanks a lot for the replies and encouragement! Seems like the best thing to do is just get to work on the next thing!
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    So this set is badass, and either way you should feel proud about it.

Whenever I submit something, or see a similar question, I always make a point of asking the submitter, if they learned something, if they had fun, if they improved their skills, if they are happy with the result they posted?

If any of those questions are a "yes", I'd personally be happy, consider it a success and make something new! Its tough saying what is/isn't going to make it in, so your best bet is just to make a million things. :)
  • Jarm
    heboltz3 wrote: »

If any of those questions are a "yes", I'd personally be happy, consider it a success and make something new! Its tough saying what is/isn't going to make it in, so your best bet is just to make a million things. :)

This is what I needed to hear. The answer to all 3 is yes, so I should really stop worrying. Thanks!
  • heboltz3
  • bounchfx
    Jarm wrote: »
    Hey all,

I put my set up (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222330531) on the workshop awhile ago. Some of the items made it to the front page, one of them hitting the top row for a bit. However, looking at some of the other sets, I have way less ratings/visits.

Does this mean my earthshaker set has no chance of making it into the store? I'm just wondering whether I should not get my hopes up for this set and refocus my emotions on a new project.

Thanks,
    Jarm

Honestly I think it's a great set, and it has a few good things going for it. First of all, it's an Earthshaker set. He's a hero that definitely needs more items and this certainly fits the bill. Second, it has a strong theme tying it together. Third, it brings a new flavor to him with the off white/grey so he stands out instead of being hard to distinguish from the default... but also without going TOO crazy with it (see: my BH set).

I wouldn't fret too much about votes as Valve seems to look through items for quality, votes being just a secondary method of evaluation to gauge player appeal... but even that can be unreliable since it seems vote numbers can be skewed or manipulated. Basically, don't worry about that. Stuff has gotten in with less than 300 votes before.

As others said, this one is out there. If you had fun, do another. Go into it with no expectations outside of doing your best. If it gets in, total bonus and celebrate with ham and dijon mustard.

Once again - Great work on this one.
  • Pipotchi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    The general rule that someone once told me is to NEVER get your hopes up and always focus on the next thing :p Ultimately you will get a lot more items created if you dont get too caught up on your last submission and whether it gets in or not, which ironically will lead to you getting more items in (perhaps). The set looks really good and if you keep making stuff at that quality you will get stuff in for sure.
    But whats also awesome is that you are rapidly building a nice portfolio at the same time, and hopefully enjoying making the sets :D
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Like others have said, votes dont mean everything. My ES set weapon has 2500 votes, but two other sets got in that were posted after it, and one of them had less votes so i dunno. also my antimage set which got in didnt actually have that many votes for it.

I just really enjoy making this stuff, make your stuff look the absolute best you can and if it gets in that's a plus. I'm sure you learned a lot from making this set. I know I learn new things on just about every item I make. Whether its technically or artistically. These items and sets are really good bite sized projects which i would recommend anyone try if the're trying to get better at game art.
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Pipotchi wrote: »
    The general rule that someone once told me is to NEVER get your hopes up and always focus on the next thing :p

I can attest to this, even items that you'd think are a sure thing can fall apart, like my Speed Gaming courier which has suddenly found itself without a team to belong to.

Just stay positive, keep making stuff and never give up!
  • bounchfx
    Hudston wrote: »
    I can attest to this, even items that you'd think are a sure thing can fall apart,

Aye, it happens. (Carty & Mike Walrus ;( )

Soldier on! :D