Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Slardar -Treasure of the Deep Set

Hi everyone
I'm new to the Forum.
I Starting my first armor/weapon set on the Slardar and I'll see how it goes from there. Wish me Luck:)
Any comments are always appreciated

Replies

• MarioW
    here is my first sketch, the idea is that the hero salvaged parts of a sunken boat and made armor, One thing that might not be conveyed in the drawing is that the armor is studded with coins and treasure. I don't how I feel about the boat and the cap yet....
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Cool concept! Keep his in game scale in mind though, he's no bigger than an average human (maybe a head taller and bit beefier)
  • nele_s
    Offline / Send Message
    nele_s polycounter lvl 10
    haha i like it, pretty cool idea :)
  • Erafic
    Offline / Send Message
    Erafic polycounter lvl 10
    Haha, bludgeoned to death with a mast? I like it =)
  • MarioW
    Tks for the feedback, I'll make some size adjustments. Also a question.
    do you guys know if the sets are ever apart. Or do you buy them and keep them as a whole.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I've seen most of the set pieces available on the store as stand-alone items. Not sure if that's the plan with the PC items or not - but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.
  • MarioW
    here is a quick update on the high poly, I'm not concerned with the small details because I want the normal to be as clean as possible. And you can't see the details in the small texture anyway. I'm mostly working in Max rights now.
    the proportions and size of the mast are a problem so I will probably have to make adjustments there. What do you guys think, is the Size of the mast a problem? and if so, any ideas?
  • SiL
    excellent choice for the weapon, for the size, it looks abit like a bucket is attach to the stick. i think the silhouette can be improve to make it looks more destructive.
  • agentfx
    clever concept, looking good!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it! The clams on the top do a great job at conveying the scale so it might be from a smaller ship. Clever!
  • MarioW
    Here is another update, with set Breakup(Weapon, arms, head and back) I had to change the design a bit because the little viking helmet just looked silly, and I had to make proportion adjustments to other pieces.
    I'm holding off on the dangling treasure bits and moss/seaweed cause I want to make sure I fit in the poly count first.
    Comments are welcome:)
    weapon%20slots.jpg
  • SiL
    Awesome!!! i love the back piece. Did you model in maya? hows the poly for it?
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job on the sculpt! I love the back piece but I'm a bit afraid it'll disappear because it's too much fine detail :(
  • MarioW
    Hi Sil, to answer your question. I took the skeleton into Zbrush to make the clothes real Quick but other than that, the pieces were built in 3D Studio Max, since most of them are simple. Spudnik, I'm concerned about the Over Detailing as well, I'm planning to use bold colors to break the skeleton out of the wheel of torture.
  • Ceddy
    I think the concept is really cool, especially the weapon. My one concern would be the hull attached to his right arm, which is slightly bulky.
  • MarioW
    weapon%20slotsupdate.jpg
    Hi Guys
    Here is another update.
    I was able to bake down the high rez.
    With the texture requirements and the fact that there are not a lot of mirrored elements, I'm really pushing the texture resolution, I'm still working on the Back. I started to texture, and if you notice there are still a lot of pieces missing from the Weapon and arms attachments. But I wanted to get your input to make sure I.m heading in the right direction.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic texture work! The only critique I have would be to give the items a stronger gradient, for example the mast can get pretty damn dark as it gets to the bottom.
  • cakeypigdog
  • MarioW
    Hi Guys
    Here is another update
    Since this was my fist Dota 2 Set, It took me a while to figure out how to import all the pieces correctly. I also end up re-uving all the mast and the arm for better texture resolution in game.
    I have more questions:)
    1. Do you guys know how to make it a SET in the Dota 2 workshop
    As far as I know you can only import set pieces separately,
    2. Do you know if there will be feedback from Valve before final submission(in case you're failing any requirements)
    3. once I import the pieces into the workshop, does that become the final submission.
    Feed back is still welcome, I'm not submitting it just yet
    readability from far is still an issue but as far as the shape is concerned
    the ship has sailed I think:) but the color is fair game.
    I'm not sure about the names for the individual pieces
    everything I come up with is lame:)
    Sailor's fate SETweapon%20slotsupdate2.jpgweapon%20slotsupdate3.jpg
    Captain's wheel
    Guiding Light
    Ship's hull????
    Ship's mast???
    Thanks for the feedback
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    1) You have to submit your items separately but you can arrange them in a collection. There's a big button on the right side on the workshop page.
    2) I'm not sure about the Polycount submissions specifically, but normally you can get feedback. However...
    3) ... as soon as you submit it to the workshop, it's final. So Even if you got feedback I'm not sure you'd be able to implement it :S
  • MarioW
    thank you guys, you,ve been alot of help:) I think I'm ready to make my submission.
  • Shudrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum polycounter lvl 6
    The theme and the result was awesome, love this character !

Great great work.
  • Beezow
    It looks really overloaded, the pieces make no sense, the armguard looks like it's fresh from the garbage can (infact, the whole set looks like slardar had a go at the garbage can), that is one hell of a tiny mast, you cant really make out anything if you're ingame with it which makes it look even more like random garbage. There's also random arrows in it which add nothing and only help making it even more of a clusterfuck.

Those are my complaints.
    textures are top however, but that isnt enough, I dont think.
  • Skibur
    Offline / Send Message
    Skibur polycounter lvl 5
    So I had wanted to make a set pretty much exactly like the one you've created, but got busy with another project and couldn't work on it.
    Now that you've done it I guess it gets me out of feeling guilty for not doing it :D

Looks great. Great texturing!
  • MarioW
    Hey SkiBur, I looked up your post and you're right, our ideas were almost exactly the same (I guess great minds think alike:)
    Thanks for your comment Beezow. The idea was that Slardar ripped away pieces from a sunken ship. So your Garbage can of the sea is right on the money. Sorry you didn't like it but thanks you sharing your honest opinion. The submission has been made so wish me luck:)
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Good luck, way to stick to your choice and congrats on finishing. :)