Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M24 Sniper

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
I've been working on this for the past 4 days and I decided to put the finishing touches on it and post it.

2mme9au.jpg
wiresq.jpg

marmor.jpg
marmoshaders.jpg
construct.jpg

Replies

• fast1
    not bad, looks good, maybe you can rough it up a little?clear.gif
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    very nice. I wouldn't scratch it up, maybe a spray job and a ghillie wrap.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    It's already roughed up more than I want it. I don't like when people scratch up metal to death.

Speaking of ghillie wrap, anyone have any suggestions of the best way to make one?
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Think besides the weathering the paint could use a little bit of "noise" to heighten the surface a little

Thatches should do it for the ghillie wrap..maybe add a bit of camo for the paint as well? Look at COD4.
  • culturedbum
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with adding a bit of camo, for the Ghillie wrap I suggest using the same method as for making hair. Paultosca has a great tut...here...

http://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html

I think just adding a some nice textures the ghillie wrap would look ace.

good job dude

-C
  • 00Zero
    do camo. weird for me to say this right now because ive been swamped in camo bullshit at work for 2 days straight.

some nice woodland colored camo would be sweet.

isnt there any kind of writing or insignia on the sides? they seem a bit plain right now, beautiful, but plain.

anywya, great job. looks sweet.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    I would avoid "camo" as a pattern

Instead, if anything, I'd do a solid OD green "Paint" layer over what you already have, and then wear that down in spots (that way you're not fucking up the rifle itself, just some minor scratching/wear on the overlying paint.) And then throw a wrap on it. Like this (but without the crappy digital pattern)
    M24_ghillied01b.jpg

Use alpha planes for some burlap, and jute.
  • pyromania
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    The diameter of the bolt is way to big. You had it closer in the high poly version but the low poly is too much. It makes the metal around the breech look too thin. It could use some scratches around the chamber too. Ejecting brass would scratch that area up.
  • Mark Dygert
    I agree with adding a bit of camo, for the Ghillie wrap I suggest using the same method as for making hair. Paultosca has a great tut...here...

http://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html

I think just adding a some nice textures the ghillie wrap would look ace.

good job dude

-C
    Love the method, but you have to be careful how many transparencies you stack in front of each other. Transparency sorting in real time and rendering can be a huge drain on the system and its prone to all kinds of errors visual and crash bugs. I would use that method only as far as learning how to create the opacity maps but not stack them that deep or big.
  • glib
    Vig wrote: »
    Love the method, but you have to be careful how many transparencies you stack in front of each other. Transparency sorting in real time and rendering can be a huge drain on the system and its prone to all kinds of errors visual and crash bugs. I would use that method only as far as learning how to create the opacity maps but not stack them that deep or big.

My understand is that kinda depends on whether you're alpha testing or alpha blending?
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    nah, alpha's expensive either way. Sure, Alpha test is a lot cheaper, but it still makes you draw the same pixel over and over again, as you draw layer after layer after layer in the same spot.

It's fine to have a couple, and for a smallish prop like this, it's probably not much of an issue.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    nice and simple man! :) fine job

Btw, random question, why are most of the weapons being posted here on PC using object-space normal maps?
  • Pedro Amorim
    because marmoset engine can use them and also this way you dont have to worry about smothing groups or none of that technical crap
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    nah, alpha's expensive either way. Sure, Alpha test is a lot cheaper, but it still makes you draw the same pixel over and over again, as you draw layer after layer after layer in the same spot.

It's fine to have a couple, and for a smallish prop like this, it's probably not much of an issue.

depending on the drawing order (can be outside layers first) depth-test can prevent multi-drawing same fragment, hence alpha-test has at least the chance of being quicker.
  • Mark Dygert
    A distinction should be made between realtime engines which handle opacity sorting much better then max or Maya. I'm pretty sure Max or Maya only us Alpha Blend and are missing alpha test, even feeding it a simple on/off image won't speed it up too much.

So while your working on the hair its going to be a pig of a process if you complicate it. It render hair/fur faster sometimes...
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Wait a minute, since when do you make gun models?

:) I kid. Looking nice dude!
  • torontoanimator
    i really like it :) its got a real gritty worked in feel to it. kudos!
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome I wanna try it out! :)
    The pipe looks a little thick, but im sure you modeled with some good reference material.