Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Ape_Errata

Hi all,

My name is Peter. I'm an artist at heart and currently a QA Tester in games industry by day. I'm hoping to one day reach a point where I can be creating things for a living as opposed to just admiring the work of others. I dabble both in 2D digital art and 3D (mostly Zbrush). I'm a relative lightweight with Zbrush but always trying to learn. Critiques, comments, advice, and encouragement are welcome! And hopefully i'll try to consistently try to update here. Thanks!

charr_5-1-13.jpg

asurahelm_4-23-13.jpg

z_dragon.jpg

1295_10151129524381781_1227854637_n.jpg

nick_knight_8-5-12_fin.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterarata/

Replies

• NEKOTIQ
    I think your sculpting work needs a bit more creases and definition to them. Your 2d works are okay but lack various tones or high dynamic range and are also less defined in areas where they can be sharpened. That is all I noticed currently with looking at the work shown.
  • Arkevil
    I agree with NEKOTIQ

Definitly need to refine the sculpts and put more time into them. I'm just seeing blobs of unsculpted clay.

1. Define your forms
    2. Adopt a sence of fluidity to your sculpt
    3. Dont be afraid to get really detailed.

2D also needs much love. There isnt enough definition to determin whats going on. Its messy, almost dirty.

1. Clean your linework
    2. avoid lazy mistakes (spot of white near females arm)
    3. more contrast (evenly disbursed)
  • NEKOTIQ
    Arkevil wrote: »
    I agree with NEKOTIQ

Definitly need to refine the sculpts and put more time into them. I'm just seeing blobs of unsculpted clay.

1. Define your forms
    2. Adopt a sence of fluidity to your sculpt
    3. Dont be afraid to get really detailed.

2D also needs much love. There isnt enough definition to determin whats going on. Its messy, almost dirty.

1. Clean your linework
    2. avoid lazy mistakes (spot of white near females arm)
    3. more contrast (evenly disbursed)

Thank you Arkevil, for giving a more thorough explanation, I feel I stated my criticism to broad to fully understand.
  • Ape_Errata
    Thanks for taking a look/ I really appreciate the feedback. I would say I have to agree with your points. None of what I shared here feels finished (it's all murky/dirty, fumbling for something, but not really getting there). And I would say that's a problem that I feel I have with my work in general. I don't want to characterize myself as a quitter, but I tend to not finish projects... and I guess that is reflecting in my work.

I think that's part of why i'm seeking out peers at this point. Thanks for selling it to me straight. I'll try harder.
  • NEKOTIQ
    If you tend to not finish projects, try doing one project at a time that has meaning to you that you would like to share with others and leads to personal growth from meaning being excited with the finished project and self fulfilling.
  • Ape_Errata
    @NEKOTIQ: I hear you. That is exactly what I need to do.

Felt like getting some zbrush in this evening. I've been trying to build up this human female figure for a piece. I used a base mesh by Hai Phan to start from. I'm feeling a bit better about where it's at. I've been preoccupied with the face recently, and something still feels a little off about it. The feet are going to be in boots, but they feel a bit too high atm as well. Let me know what you all think I could use the help. Thanks! ^^

5-2_WIP.jpg

5-2_faceWIP.jpg
  • OXGears
    sup, i'm doing some R&D tonight myself. only thing i'm going to ask is if you're going realistic or stylized? lol, cause i tell ya if you're going to go real, you're going to hear a lot about proportions. either way, have fun with it.
  • Ape_Errata
    Leaning more towards realistic. The base model that I started off was more stylized with the proportions. The one thing in particular that seems to be staring me in the face this morning is the legs in comparison to everything else... lol. Thanks for taking a look ^^
  • OXGears
    look up this page if you're looking for a basic base mesh to study off of. or this, if you want to try making your own base.
  • Ape_Errata
    Thanks! I'm definitely interested in trying out building some of my own base meshes and I am always looking for some good places to start when i'm looking to get into things more quickly.

edit: great resources *bathes in their usefulness* thanks again for sharing.
  • OXGears
    np dude, we're all trying to head to the same place in our own way and pace.
  • NEKOTIQ
    For basic proportions the legs should not be double the size of the body and head together, they should be half the size in proportions, in a rough basic estimate.
  • Ape_Errata
    facialretopo_01.jpg

It's been a busy week. So did not get much time in on Zbrush, but decided to spend a little time trying to acquaint myself with some techniques for re-topologizing in Zbrush. I used my female base model's face as a starting point. Right now I guess the end goal is to be able to do high res sculpts and then have a thorough understanding of how to make low poly version of the model for creating character, creature, or environment assets for games.

This website is the best reference i've found so far on facial topology, it's a short tutorial by an artist by the name of Phung Dinh Dung.
  • Ape_Errata
    Here's a Mass Effect Krogan sculpt i've been working on. My big goal for this year is to try to finish some projects. So i've really been trying to push this guy, but i'm getting to the point in a sculpt where I start to struggle a bit. C/C welcome. Cheers!

spitsculpt_1-17-14_07.png

spitsculpt_1-17-14_09.png

spitsculpt_1-17-14_010.png
  • Ape_Errata
    Still plinking away at this Krogan sculpt. I needed to take a break from working on the organic stuff, so I started roughing out an armor piece. I threw a little ruby red on him just to get a look at the different pieces I started making today. He's pretending to be a ferrari I suppose ;)

spitsculpt_1-17-14_012.png
  • doug-cg@hotmail.com
    Offline / Send Message
    [email protected] polycounter lvl 6
    Wow!! good job =) gratz man!
  • Ape_Errata
    spitsculpt_1-17-14_014.png

Diving back into the trenches. Working a bit more on the main chest piece of my Krogan. Not sure I love the seam in the middle (it was an unexpected consequence, but i'm going to play with it a little, and I can always grab the old subtool if needed).
  • Ape_Errata
    spitsculpt_1-17-14_015.png

Still whittling away at this guy.
  • Ape_Errata
    spitsculpt_1-17-14_016.png
    Continuing to rough in his armor. Almost to his footies.
  • Ape_Errata
    spitsculpt_1-17-14_019.png

Still playing around with the boots. Need to do gloves, and maybe a helmet. Then time to dive into crash course in retopo (maybe time to learn topogun).
  • Ape_Errata
    tumblr_n48jx5PWX01rzm4lvo2_500.png

tumblr_n48jx5PWX01rzm4lvo1_1280.png

tumblr_n4eotkCuSl1rzm4lvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n4ga9qREIO1rzm4lvo1_1280.jpg

Some WIP shots of my Norn Stag Armor sculpt. I didn't make the deadline, but i'm still trying to finish it as a personal project anyway.