Offline / Send Message
Pilumijus polycounter lvl 4
// --- Edit : Currently working on --- //

NgSylvain_SK05_06.jpg
NgSylvain_SK05_05.jpg

//
//

Hi !
I started Zbrush seriously about ~6 months ago, and maybe two or three weeks ago, I've set as a target that I would do *at least* 30 minutes of free Zbrushing everyday

I'll post the cool results here.

Speedy00_02.jpg

Speedy00_03.jpg

Speedy00_01.jpg

Speedy01_00.jpg

Speedy01_02.jpg

PS : crits always welcome, still a lot to learn :)

Replies

• selvesteHE
    These are great man ! Don't hold back on us :)
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Anatomy is tough >_< ! Saturday Wip !

speedy_02_Wip01.jpg
  • 3D_Chae
    wow man! I really love your works! keep it up! :)
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks :) !
    Tried to add some gears and pose him today .. still a lot of tweaks to do and anatomy to fix, but well .. done for the week-end !

speedy_02_01.jpg

speedy_02_02.jpg
  • KennyTies
    That creature box scuplt is awesome and exactly how I would imagine the character. Great work!
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, very encouraging :D
    So I saw this Dragon Ball Challenge on Zbrush Central, then I said "Yeaah ! Zbrush all night long !"

Then I said "God, need some sleep"
    (still, some work done for today)

speedy_03_Wip01.jpg
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Dude (or dudedet) these are dope! Really awesome style. Would love to see some of these Polypainted up =). Any tips or tricks you've picked up since starting your ZBrush self-training? I'm doing the same thing... main thing atm is i think i'm not maximizing the utility of alphas and differant brushes atm i usually just use about 5/6 standard ones.
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Dubzski, Thanks !
    I'll probably have to polypaint this master roshi for the challenge ('have to check, but it seems the final render has to be in color)

Not too sure if I can give advice, but well .. Usually, I'm using only a few standard brushes too (move, clay build up, dam standard, and started using insert sphere just for this last guy based on the advice of an other artist at work :p)

My focus is on building the shapes first, just checking that everything's right where I want it to be (eyes not too low, beard not too forward, etc .. still takes up a lot of time).

Then, once it's done, I just clean up the whole thing. I don't really like when it's too detailed, I just like when it's hyper readable.

This, + Anatomy boards and references constantly on the side screen ^^".
    For now, I just focus on learning to sculpt heads (funniest thing to do, from my point of view), and going slowly towards torso, arms, etc ..

Still have no ideas how to sculpt Hands \o/
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update before taking a small break for today, still some proportion issues
    Going on with the bike on the next update, probably

speedy_03_Wip02.jpg
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Well .. In the end, pushed a bit further.
    Rough wip for now, next step will be refining everything

speedy_03_Wip03.jpg
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Haha nice pose! Cheers for sharing your work flow always good to hear what others are doing. Keep up the good work =).
  • NEKOTIQ
    Like the character sculpture work but maybe increase the tonality of the rendered shots with dynamic lighting. Not sure how these are rendered but my suggestion would be to manipulate the use of three-point lighting.
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, these are just rendered in Zbrush (Tweaked a bit BPR settings, and yeaah, done)

I'll try to see if I can setup something a bit more elaborate :)
  • NEKOTIQ
    Oh okay, yeah Zbrush has a soft render finish.
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Structured the bike and started to clean up everything, but reaaally struggling on the cloth folds part.
    Will have to take some time and study folds before coming back on this, I guess.

Bwah !

Hey, new layout \o/

speedy_03_Wip04.jpg
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    speedy_03_Wip05.jpg

speedy_03_Wip05b.jpg

Tried yesterday to figure out how to improve the folds' sculpt, came up with this ..
    Still not completely satisfied, but well, better I guess
    Will try to study a bit more real cloth folds and books before coming back on this in a couple of weeks !

(+ started to clean up the front bike)
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update !

speedy_03_Wip6b.jpg

Cleaned up the bike a bit, began to organize subtools for cloth and details sculpting.

I'm considering to put lots of bags of panties & dragon ball's props on his back, as such .. :
    http://cghub.com/images/view/290624/

I'll probably just push as far as I can with what I have now, and just see if I've got enough time to do it (or just a plain simple bag ^^)

Deadline in +1month !
  • Davidskiwan
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    Captured Roshi's likeness to a T! Fantastic work though he'd probably only ride with that expression with something good to look at in front ;P
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    2013-05-AnatomieGrid.jpg

speedy_04_Wip01.jpg

Hi, thanks for your comment :) !

Didn't update for a couple of weeks (maybe 3?) due to workload at the studio, I figured out that at least I should try to continue to learn anatomy bit by bit every day.

Reading the anatomy books I bought didn't seem really efficient (it seems I'm not that good at memorizing all these things yet ..)
    So I thought I'd just draw every pictures on them first (+some anatomy stuff on Pinterest, etc) before trying to get all the muscles' names and functions.

Here's the first month's result !

+ a speedy of something I made maybe ~2hours friday night + 1h some night before going to sleep this week, just trying to relax and work on something different

PS : Roshi not finished yet, texturing in progress, still trying to master Polypaint / Mudbox. 1month left !
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    After ~6h of video tutorial on texturing, I did a first try on the texturing today.
    Here we go !

speedy_03_Wip7b.jpg
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Impressive sculpts! I love your creature box sculpts

For this one:
    Speedy00_02.jpg

Did you mdel a base mesh? Or all ZBrush?
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, thanks :)
    I usually go full Zbrush, then retopo with max at some point in order to have a clean high poly using Crease and Polygroups in Zbrush.
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally done with this, ow yeah !

Speedy03_LastRender_02HD.jpg

Speedy03_LastRender_01HD.jpg
  • selvesteHE
    A really fun and refreshing sketchbook !
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Speedy06_01.jpg

Didn't post here in quite a long time for various reasons (recently switched my 30mn Zbrush per day to a 30mn sport & exercise per day .. and then back again with Zbrush + sports now :p \o/)

So here's my new project : learning anatomy by sculpting a whole body, starting with a dynamesh sphere and no basemesh.
    Been watching tutorials along the way, and at some point, I couldn't go on with the sculpt until I was done with watching all the videos .. so for now, I'm keeping myself busy with adding props. and designing the character.

I'll probably get to sculpt the body next week (just finished the part on the anatomy of the head .. still a long way to go !)

PS : trying to get out of the cartoony touch with this one ..
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Speedy06_02.jpg

Week end's over !
    Finished watching the section on anatomy of the head, and gave it a try.
    Still a lot of things that bug me, but well, I'll just leave it like this for now (probably won't get it exactly right the first time)
    Next : tackling the torso and the arms.
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Paused a bit the techno guy (feeling a bit more confident to make some cool funky stuff).

Here's my Pokemon X Street Fighter remix, my entry for a Fighting Game Fanart Challenge :

Speedy05-Cara_01.jpg

Speedy05-Bulbi_01.jpg

Speedy05-Draco_01.jpg

Speedy05-Ryu_01.jpg

Final entry will have the four characters posed and polypainted.
    ~3 weeks left !
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Update ! J-12.
    Still some stuff to fix : IvyBlanka's face (still not convinced ..), its feet, Drakuma's Arms, Gen/Squirtle's hairs and an overall pass on Ryu.

Starting to enter the state of mind where I'm telling myself "crap, I aimed too high", and 10 minutes later "meh, 'should be ok"

Speedy05-Bulbi_02.jpg

Speedy05-Cara_02.jpg

Speedy05-Draco_02.jpg

Speedy05-Ryu_02.jpg
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    End of the last two month's challenge, here's my entry :)

Speedy_05_Cara_FinalShot.jpg
    Speedy_05_Bulbi_FinalShot.jpg
    Speedy_05_Trainer_FinalShot.jpg
    Speedy_05_Draco_FinalShot.jpg
    Speedy_05_FinalShotColor.jpg
    Speedy_05_FinalShotGray.jpg

Considering how it went, I'll take the next challenge as an opportuniy to work a bit more on texturing and rendering inside Zbrush (or even, making a game-ready model). Right now, after having done the sculpt, I'm still kinda lost in everything that concerns Polypainting or materials, so ... we'll see what comes next !
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Speedy07_01.jpg
    Quicksculpt

Speedy07_02.jpg

Started this guy ~1.5 months ago but unfortunately got my hands on a nintendo 3DS + Pokemon, so .. kinda late updating.
    Had a conversation at work on how I probably should do a soldier of some sort, at least for a portfolio in case I need one, so here we go.
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    With this update : where I got with the last model, and something new I'm working on now (early screenshot + where I'm at right now, will still evolve eventually, mostly adding details and refining though)

The idea was to make a robot that could surf, and I had some idea for posing

Speedy07_04.jpg

Speedy08_01.jpg
    Got there kinda quick, just wanted to try out some ideas

Speedy08_02.jpg
    First try on posing (will refine it later on)

Speedy08_03.jpg
    Where I am with the modelling right now, trying to refine the sculpt
  • blackdragonstory
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    Wow,this is amazing work :D
    How did you achieve that toonish look on Roshi?
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thanks :D !!
    Hmm, can't quite remember, it was a lot of testing and tweaking, all of it inside Zbrush + BPR

From what I remember, I used the Zbrush Material "Flat Sketch" and tweaked in the material's modifier panel the "Cavity Transition".
    Then almost basic BPR (I touched up a bit the BPR Shadow in the Render Panel, but nothing too complicated)

Edit : just remembered, also used these comic ink matcap for the outline
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?165050-Comic-ink-matcap-pack-for-download
  • blackdragonstory
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    How much time did it take to make that roshi and overial 1 character?
    What method did you use?
    Model low poly in 3ds/maya/blender... and then finish in zbrush.
    Or entirely in zrush?
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say about a month or two, but I don't work on it every day, mostly after work and I sometimes let a few weeks pass without working on it.
    Probably a couple of weeks for most of these models if I had a more regular schedule.

I mostly work in Zbrush, as most of the times I don't really have a clear picture of what I want to do. When I'm done concepting, retopology in Zbrush or modelling in 3dsmax, depending on what's faster
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick break from the robot for a few days, I saw this dragon on Pinterest and decided I'd try to make it in Zbrush

First picture after 2 hours of work
    Speedy09_01.jpg

Second one : +15 minutes of tweaking
    speedy09_02.gif
  • sun_smasher
    Offline / Send Message
    sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
    Cool stuff. I like the latest little dragon guy. Spot on mate, keep it up.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I like that...you keep doing stuff that's interesting. Least I think it's interesting. Pokemon are sweet, little dragons are neat.

Do you happen to know the artist who did the little dragon concept you're working on now? It's a nice style and you're doing it justice. :)
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ! Thanks a lot for the compliment, means a lot to me :D
    I'm still in the process of learning like, a lot of stuff (like we all do), so yeah, huge moral boost

I think it's an artwork by Murayama Ryota, kinda hard to confirm, my pinterest links me the picture to some japanese website, and I can't seem to find a portfolio so .. to be confirmed !
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually trying to set up a twitch channel here, just realizing now how much work it takes to stream work !

Anyway, here's the link : http://www.twitch.tv/pilumijus
  • PerH
    Hey dude! really cool stuff! how did you get your hard surface so clean? do you first sculpt the forms and then retopologize? :)
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, thanks !
    I usually sculpt until I have almost my final shapes (like, it's almost completely clean in Zbrush, mostly using Hpolish Brush), then I separate my different shapes by dynameshing into different polygroups + retopologizing.
    It takes up a lot of time, but often crazy clean in the end.

I'll probably do a stream for the robot soon :)
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick render for the dragon (still in the middle of the unwrapping & texturing, but got caught in the middle of an other challenge, so I'll have to postpone this)

Speedy09_02.jpg

Going to take part in a mini-challenge with Despicable me Minions as theme, and kicked in a few hours in searching for a concept.

Going to refine a few of these ones, making sure which one's the funniest

concept.png
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the minion (approximatively ~5 hours in this now, drawings included)

2 days ago :
    minion_wip_01.png

Today's work :
    minion_wip_02.png

Gonna make it attack Paris
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    So I spent last few days doing retopo, unwrapping, watching tutorials about texturing/baking

Here's the result so far !

minion_wip_05.png

minion_wip_05b.png

Really excited about this one, first game-ready mesh I've done in a loooong time ! (new possibilities for doing crazy models, lol)
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished my submission for Despicable Me Minions Challenge !

NguyenSylvain_MinionChallenge_01.png

NguyenSylvain_MinionChallenge_02.png

NguyenSylvain_MinionChallenge_03.png

So, quick debrief for future reference :
    WWR :
    - concepting is fun !
    - Marmoset is really useful, PBR is awesome
    - made it in time !

WWW :
    - I kindof suck at texturing (no idea what I was doing)
    - I know almost nothing in lighting (learned BPR lighting in Zbrush couple of weeks before, it proved a bit useful, but still, not quite enough)
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I started yesterday just to see if I could sculpt a face, and it turned out a lot better than expected (even did a quick body, same, just to see if it would work out ..)

Speedy10_01.jpg

I guess I'll probably have to give her some clothes & gear now ..
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Couldn't sleep this night, so got up and worked on this a little bit.

Speedy10_02.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Pilumijus
    Offline / Send Message
    Been learning anatomy by memorizing bones & muscles, not much to show .. but I started working on a dragon mount this w-e (need to release tension after anatomy ^^")

here we go :

Speedy11_02.jpg

Speedy11_02b.jpg