Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ticket dispenser

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
So needed to do somekind of prop, and choosed a ticket dispenser. spent some time to get the materials right, not super happy. but its good practise nevertheless.

Automat_wip1.jpg
reference
Automat_referens.jpg
wasnt aiming for 100% accuracy in details, did it more to practise belivable materials.

critic would be super nice, especially concerning texturing.

biggest question though, is it portfolio worhty? i thought maybe that it is too boring so maybe i will make it rusty and more fallen apart.

and yes, for some reason i switched from swedish text to bulgarian. used google translate, dont speak bulgarian, so if it says something wildly inappropriate i would be grateful for a heads up :)

Replies

• Broken_Lawnmower
    I think that it could be portfolio-worthy if you worked on the presentation a little. Something other that a stark grey background, like maybe a vignette+subtle texture or a simple environment such as the one in your ref. Also, what resolution are your textures? The grime near the bottom looks blurry to me. Other than that though I like it. Itsa very nice!
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    Your reference shows the body of the machine being more of a mirrored surface like a dulled down chrome. The materials you created have a brushed metal quality. The glass could also do with some sharp highlights and use of a reflection shader. Pay attention to the material definition and observe how light reacts to it. Great start on the materials, though it can be pushed more!
  • MGM
    Offline / Send Message
    MGM polycounter lvl 12
  • DWalker
    There appear to be some substantive differences from the reference. The reference appears narrower and taller, but that might be a matter of perspective. Your model is missing the mirror, coin slot, and lock.

The materials seem quite different. The metal case and the plastic sign should both be reflective (as should the missing mirror, of course). The central section should be much lighter, a gray with a light blue/cyan tint. The red plastic sections should have a much higher saturation (close to 100%). The metal shell itself is basically grey, with reflections providing the only color. The LCD display should probably be dark even when it is off, rather than light as it is now.
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    Broken: yeah i defenatly fix a proper presantation before it goes in the folio. this was more to get some crits on the materails.
    The textures are 1024^2. i thought it would be generous for a prop. i think its blurry partly cuz i painted it that way. maybe i should make it sharper... anywyas thanks!

MGM: are you sure? i copied that and put it in google translate, and it doesn't spell right in bulgarian. it does in russian though.

mospheric, DWalker;
    Thank you so mch for the critic! Very helpful! I tried to take it all into account and heres an updated pic, new cubemap and such;
    Automat_wip2.jpg
    also i changed the LCD to dark, but i dont like that supersaturated red. the mirror, coin slot, and lock was purposely left out, i didnt care so much for the detials, was aiming more for the materials. if its i big issue i will probably put that stuff in there though

but overall, does it look better?
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Looking better!

I'm starting to see some issues with UV scale and textile density now (or, maybe your texture is just blurry), but you might be too far along to fix that.

The mirrored screen looks a bit better, it is WAY too clean for this dirty old machine though. It needs to be all scratched up with keys, sticker residue, and grime.

I need to see some more things like sticker residue, peeled off stickers, permanent marker graffiti - Although you might avoid the graffiti if this is going to be placed all over the place. You're also missing the lock on the door on the base.

The printer is missing stickers, labels, and many other tiny details are missing. Also, get the mirror on there as soon as possible. You can do it with floating geometry, and probably just throw it on the same UV chunk as the screen in your materials.

Keep going though, it's definitely looking better!
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme; Thank you so much for the crits!
    I tried to do add everything you mentioned, and i think it looks much better. somehow i thought it wasnt worth the time to add the text above the buttons before, but now i see it makes a big difference. the text is super blurry cuz of the texture resulotion but i think it works of you dont get too close.
    its hard to see in the image but i added a lot of grime to the screen. i also tried some alpha grafitti text. im not sure about that though. will definitely add torn of stickers tommorrow, but need some sleep now.

Automat_wip3.jpg
    Automat_wip4.jpg
  • Msansook
    Definitely some nice touches of detail that were suggested!

If I could help I would offer to consider some weathering around the top region of this machine. Due to it being used outdoors and probably isn't covered. XD

Keep up the good work! Practice makes perfect! I too am working on my texturing ability. Will be posting up soon!
  • MGM
    Offline / Send Message
    MGM polycounter lvl 12