Home General Discussion

Wouldn't it be sweet if Zbrush5...

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    ... if it didn't crash as much when importing .ma files with creases. SERIOUSLY!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    My thoughts :

Subtool grouping similar to PS layer grouping functionality.

A texturing system similar to Mudbox or 3DC that works based per pixel rather than on poly distribution.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be sweet if ZBrush5, Pixologic staff was reading this thread. ;)

That'd be sweet.. or we could just continue spouting our wishes into the void ;)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    artquest wrote: »
    5. ...your uv islands as polygroups is awesome. Would love this feature!

Zbrush already does this if in the polygroups rollout you select "Auto Groups With UV"
  • MDiamond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be sweet if ZBrush5, Pixologic staff was reading this thread. ;)

When I see this kind of thread I always imagine the package's staff reading like

acEFye3.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I'm getting more hands on with ZBrush lately with work, so if any of these actually exist, let me know.

• Layered painting system. Really wish I could turn colors on and off to test paintovers without being destructive to my polypaint, just to try new things.
    • Local vs World based translate, rotate, and scale. Also a way to reset the local values of such.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    praetus wrote: »
    I'm getting more hands on with ZBrush lately with work, so if any of these actually exist, let me know.

• Layered painting system. Really wish I could turn colors on and off to test paintovers without being destructive to my polypaint, just to try new things.

You can turn the polypaint on and off by hitting the Brush symbol on the selected subtool.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I don't mean turning the polypaint as a whole on or off. I meant having layers like in Photoshop that I could paint on. Right now as I understand it, when polypainting you have just that one layer, so if you paint over something it is destructive. If I want to mess with making, I don't know...eye makeup for a character, by painting the makeup I am destroying any skin tones painted underneath. I'd like to be able to make a "make up" layer I could turn on and off without destroying what was painted beneath.

Right now the only way I really know around this is to duplicate the subtool and paint on different iterations. By the end I might have 5 different heads with makeup or tattoos rather than just 5 separate paint layers I could turn on and off or mix and match. ZBrush has sculpting layers you can do this on, but not for polypaint, unless I just don't know where to access it.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    The layers in zbrush also include polypaint info so you can create layers just for experimenting with colors if you'd like.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it is buggy as a hookers runway strip though.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    cptSwing wrote: »
    That'd be sweet.. or we could just continue spouting our wishes into the void ;)
    MDiamond wrote: »
    When I see this kind of thread I always imagine the package's staff reading like

acEFye3.jpg

I think they are and if not i am almost sure some of the inside artists they use to debug new updates would hopefully mention this thread or ideas to them.
    We are pretty much helping for free but then again we are helping ourselves in-turn since it will make our lives much easier and that much better, so i see win,win.
    praetus wrote: »

• Local vs World based translate, rotate, and scale. Also a way to reset the local values of such.

Save a new .zlt scene and change it there :( only way a.t.m. that i can see.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Wouldn't it be sweet if Zbrush 5...
    ...wouldn't need an exorcism to allow you to bind zoom to the 3rd mouse button (or one of the buttons on the Pen), Zoom does not have to be that hard to use
    ...would come with GPGPU support for heavy load operations
    ...would allow to move rotate and scale objects in a normal way (the transpose tool makes me want to kill myself...ohhh now i got en elipse...thats nice ...not what i wanted though)
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    Used CTRL-S for quick save, like any other software in the history of ever?
    I Keep getting confused. "9" is not a smart choice for quicksave.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    ...if it was already released?
    ... or Autodesk bough... neeh

1. 64-bit
    2. Linux?
    3. Buy Allegorithmic guys, before Autodesk will do it!
  • walterlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walterlow polycounter lvl 8
    most of the commonly wanted features have been mentioned.

1.) i usually save my files as zpr and not ztl. I wish there was an option to create new project with emptied tool palletes instead of having to close and restart zbrush for each new project i start.

or perhaps there's a way and i am doing it wrong ;x

2.) my custom ui doesnt always load. restarting it sometimes does help. am i the only one?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    walterlow wrote: »

1.) i usually save my files as zpr and not ztl. I wish there was an option to create new project with emptied tool palletes instead of having to close and restart zbrush for each new project i start.

Might be misunderstanding your point, but you can hit the 'R' button in the tools palette next to Save Ztool, etc. to reset the palette.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I mean the 'R' under the Lightbox > Tools button in the Tools palette, not next to the Go-Z button.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15

...had an option to change viewports into a 3DS Max/Maya/Mudbox style and control. It's one of the number one reasons I had problems getting into ZBrush, the navigation is just weird compared to all other tools on the market.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    McGreed wrote: »

...had an option to change viewports into a 3DS Max/Maya/Mudbox style and control. It's one of the number one reasons I had problems getting into ZBrush, the navigation is just weird compared to all other tools on the market.

You get used to the navigation after a short while, I switch between Maya and ZB a lot and it never seems awkward. This may be similar to what you're looking for:-

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?183019-quot-Middle-Button-quot-Plug-in-for-ZBrush-4R6
  • encore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    Wouldn't it be sweet if Zbrush5 had...

* Python
    * Full Zbrush API.
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    ...wouldn't need an exorcism to allow you to bind zoom to the 3rd mouse button (or one of the buttons on the Pen), Zoom does not have to be that hard to use

Personally don't have an issue with this. Map your front side pen button (ie side button closest to the nib) to right mouse if it isn't already.

- Tap it to bring up the brush palette overlay
    - Holding it whilst hovering the pen (not pressing the nib down) will rotate the model regardless of being over the mesh or not
    - Holding alt and the pen button pans the view
    - Holding ctrl and the pen button zooms in and out