Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mech Mutant

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
jmiles interpolator
Hey all.. starting a thread for a character design I'm going to take to 3D after a little while.. nailing down my design elements before I roll some max and zbrush.. plan to take it to a full render as well as create orthos too, for practice

alienrough02.jpg

Replies

• Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I like the legs, but where they meet the ground you might want to give them a bit more thickness? Its almost like he's on stilts or high heels, which would slow him down considerably. The gun looks a little wimpy as well. He's massive and only has a small cannon. Anyways looks like a fun sculpt in your future! Cheers.
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    bad-ass- IMO larger torso and arms
  • Clintus Maximus
    NICE! dig the concept! i wish part of one of his legs was more fleshy though. Just an opinion. Cant wait to see it in 3d
  • Firebat
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebat polycounter lvl 11
    Concept looks really nice and bad-ass, except his left arm. This shape just doesn't fit to the character. And give some kind of feet, coz now this area looks a little unfinished. Keep it up :)
  • JeffrySG
    Dimfist wrote: »
    I like the legs, but where they meet the ground you might want to give them a bit more thickness? Its almost like he's on stilts or high heels, which would slow him down considerably. The gun looks a little wimpy as well. He's massive and only has a small cannon. Anyways looks like a fun sculpt in your future! Cheers.
    I had the same thoughts. Maybe try to add some type of extra supports to the feet areas that might widen out his base footprint? He might be more stable looking at that point. I really like this design so far, though! Great concept!
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    I like the idea of trying out some type of heel in the leg design. Also for the mech arm have you considered doing a mech hand instead of gun? you can mount some type of gun on the top of his forearm.

Side note: ^Hey JeffrySG! it's Coots7 from Modo forums!
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I agree that the left arm needs something else. It looks kind of puny and out of place comparing it to the bulky, rough body. You could consider adding some kind of melee attachment to it, like blades or chainsaw, to help it fit with the brutal image of this character.

Concept looks promosing, looking forward to seeing more!
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    Hey dudes.. thanks for all the great suggestions :).. here is a little update to my mutant.. at this point I'm cleaning up my line work before I start adding values and depth info.. I've been playing w/ shapes for the legs and feet area. and I'm going to work out a bigger, badder design for his arm rifle.. I've given him a biotech suit of armor plating-- I'm pulling much of my inspiration from Metal Gear in terms of flavor.. but you could probably see some Quake in there as well.. but lots of industrial neo-military shapes.. here's the update

alienrough02.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You've gone from a Strogg balance between monster and machine, to a (almost) full-on machine. Not that it's bad, just saying you're moving away from a mech-mutant.
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    agreed- the first design had an O.G. FPS feeling -total Doom material--this one is moving away from that.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    I gotta say, I'm rather fond of the first 'stilt feet'. They're one of my favorite design elements for anything.
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    I did a few variations since the armored one.. and I apologize.. I guess Mech Mutant is pretty deceiving.. He is more alien in a sense.. hulking other-worldly creature..

Short brief...

Ger'Rok-- A battle hardened alien warrior from a distant planet. Years in the fray of battle have claimed portions of his body. His military has the technology to keep him alive and in the fight, and even enhance his physical prowess.

as you can probably tell, I'm gonna go w/ the last one w/ the new rail gun.. I still get to paint up the fleshy bits, but keep a bit of the technology in there.. I think it will be a good balance.. thanks for checking it out.. crits appreciated

alienrough02.jpg
    alienrough03.jpg
    alienrough04.jpg
    alienrough05railgun.jpg
    gunsnstuff.jpg
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    It's a cool design but I'm not really sure about the pose. Having the lower part of the body turned one way with the upper body the other looks a bit odd. Try seeing how it would work if you were to turn the lower body(mostly legs) horizontally.
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ Goraaz-- It's not exactly a neutral pose, he is engaged in a moment, and I've twisted him with a contrapposto to make the pose a little more interesting, although.. something neutral isn't a bad idea either. I've played with posing his legs in the opposite direction and he just felt unbalanced.. in terms of both weight distribution and composition.

here is an update to my guy.. I'm going to clean up a few things before taking him to full color, but he is otherwise done.

alienfinal.jpg
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice update, looking very cool! The head still seems a bit off though, it kind of feels like its floating and its not obvious enough that its a head.
  • camza
    I love it! My only serious crit would be that the feet feel too thin. They don't look very stable. Keep up the good work!
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    this is awesome!
  • Devarter
    The hips should (imo) be slanted further out. The way its legs are it kinda looks like they're slightly dislocated :O