Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Asian Gate [image heavy]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
divi polycounter lvl 12
thingie...
My entry for the Eat3D contest - not sure why I didn't make a thread for it before :(.
I will just dump all the pictures I took. Because I'm lazy like that.

blockoutTurntable.gif
doorKnocker.jpg
door02.jpg
wall01.jpg
scene01.jpg
scene02.jpg
scene03.jpg
scene04.jpg
metal.jpg
messy wireframe!
Wireframe.jpg
Screen01.jpg
Screen02.jpg
Screen03.jpg
Screen04.jpg

My plan is to make a nighttime shot of that as well, since I experimented with glowy lanterns at one point and it worked kinda neatly.
I will make some renders of the final highpoly models and post them. later... probably.

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really solid work, I like it, the metal on the door could do with a tiny bit of specular or reflection if possible
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    aye use of a very soft reflectionmap might help...

i would rework either the HP or/and textures of the floor so that there is more wear around the door from feet etc soften the edges add a touch more grease from human contact...could do the same with the woood

the metal could do with a touch more texture

the edge brightneing seams a bit over the top on the stone and the wood (stylistic?) but i think it would be a better if its toned down a touch

the spec could be pushed a bit on the tiles and stone

a bit more larger scale wear and damage could really help eg:
    - gradient the plaster colour slightly
    - more UV damage on the wood where its exposed, more saturated colour in the shadows
    - larges water drips/stains at certain points

Its a really solid piece as Ged said just think it could have a touch more interest in the mid range frequency
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Great work Divi, really like the style!

As SHEPEIRO said, the floor could use a bit more wear&tear, at the moment it's a bit strange cause the walls are busted up, but the rest is actually fairly clean.
    Considering it's for the Eat3D contest, I really think you can push your shaders a bit more to make each material type pop out more, the specularity seems pretty uniform overall at the moment.
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Very Cool !
    i like it alot !
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Good work man! i like the models and texture feel so far. Maybe a little more grime and dirt on the side walk.
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, this is looking great. Keep up the good work!
  • Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I love that you provided so many shots so we can see how it works. Very nice results!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    great job. good luck in the challenge.
  • paulsvoboda
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Really good job on this. I think the roof turned out great. As said above, adding some history to the stones on the floor would be nice. Would it be possible to see some texture sheets?
  • ajr2764
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Very solid work here man, love the style.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    thanks for all the kind comments everyone :)
    for some reason i made this thread after the deadline was over which was probably stupid. :-/ could've gotten a lot of nice feedback beforehand.
    i know that it's not really an excuse but when it came to making the spec i was already working on it for 12 hours or something and just wanted to get it finished -> far from perfect spec :|.

i will definitely re-do the floor completely. figured i could save tris by keeping most things straight since i was nearing the limit rather quickly but now that i can re-do it without a strict budget (no intention to go over by a lot though) i will give it history and make it tie in with the wall better.

the metal parts do have a reflective cube on them but not very visible in a static image. spec map definitely letting it down too.
    here's the door with just the reflection on the metal parts. the cubemap is blurred because i didn't want a chrome like surface but more of a cast iron kinda thing.
    metalReflection.jpg

render of the wall part which was originally planned to be using vertex color to blend between a damaged and an undamaged version which was scrapped due to it being ridiculous on such a limited scale.
    wallHighpoly.jpg

roof
    roofHighpoly.jpg

diffuse texture (sorry for it being so big)
    DiffuseSheet.jpg
  • snow
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Great work, I really like how you textured the wall, was that done in photoshop?
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    capone polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely inspiring work, thanks for posting. I'm guessing a lot of the highlights come from a cavity map type method?
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I actually think you overdid it with the cavity map a bit (for the highlights on the stone and those roof trims), a lot of that info should probably be in the specular map instead maybe?
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Wow. Looks great! I love those roof tiles. I do hope you age that metal a bit. Those door knockers and frame don't match the wear on the rest of the piece. I would definitely agree with others about the concrete sidewalk pieces as well needing more aging.
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    looks awesome! I like how you kept the texture pretty simple and nicely readable =)
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Great work so far Divi. What would you say the progress on this is? 80-90%?

You have some leftover space on your textures, I would use that for the pavement where it reaches the doors and walls. You've eluded to that its old and worn, so I would Google some images quickly and get an idea for what else you could put on there.

If you do garbage, don't go too far with it as it will immediately throw this in an urban area. It very well might be an ancient temple surrounded by a rural landscape, but I think more natural debris would best suit the feeling of the piece. I suppose the gist of my feedback in this regard is to put some more bits & pieces on the ground to help sell that area a bit more. Ancient, modern or what have you.

I second a lot of the material feedback. The simplicity of the approach is great, but the materials on their basic level need to be sold. Metal has shine, plaster holds light, and so on.

Bonus points if you can add some translucency to those lanterns.
  • Codexus
    Offline / Send Message
    Codexus polycounter lvl 11
    Beautiful work!

One detail bothers me: the Chinese characters are upside down and flipped horizontally.
  • Arac
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    Great work, love your eye for detail!
  • Builder_Anthony
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome! I love your texturing style ><

Did you use photo-manipulation, hand-paint or mix the two? I'd love to know how you got your textures to look like that in your diffuse :D I'm sure you got some bakes from zbrush and what not but any other additional things you might've done different in your workflow?
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    asianGate1234.jpg

slowpoke is slow...

thanks everyone :)
    i've redone the floor. will have to take another stab at the texture for it though, maybe a higher res bake. havent touched the metal, started messing with the spec and gloss maps, reduced the edge highlights in the diffuse, maybe a bit too much on the bricks in the wall.

adam, i like the idea and am definitely gonna do some remnants of pavement or a walkway leading to and from the gate. still undecided whether or not i should place it in a proper environment with sky and maybe rolling hills - would certainly help to hide some of the lowpoly silhouette edges.
    next up would be re-doing the lampions ( and doing the characters right this time :P ), paving stones, more material and texture tweaks and starting on proper lighting. thinking about sunrise or early morning and a nightshot ( maybe flaagan will do some fx for it, yay! ).

G3L, the texturing is based on the AO/Convexity maps used to mask damage and stain maps layered over base textures and then some painted in variation and details here and there. i'll post an animated gif showing all the different layers getting combined in the next days.

hope to have a bit more time for this now. thanks for the great feedback guys :D really helping a lot. should've posted this while the comp was still running!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice, but curious why you didn't float the handles. Could save a lot of polys on the door there.
  • Jonsnow
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice style, sculpts and texturing look great!