Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Dump: Danielle Prieto - Aspiring Concept artist for Film,TV and Games

Hey There!

I'm Danielle,a recent graduate from the College of Creative studies in Michigan. My Background is in 2D animation for Entertainment Arts.

Specializing in characters and creatures, I'm striving to become a professional in the field of Visual Development as a 2D character artist/2D concept artist.

I want to improve my art and presentation skills to match what the industry is looking for, and I've been studying and practicing drawing as a profession for about 5 years.

This post is a collection of what I believe are my best concept art sketches. Please leave any comments, critiques, or feedback to help me achieve my goal of working in the industry as a Character artist for Film,TV and Games.

I plan to use this thread as a means of watching myself improve as an artist.

Thanks a bunch,
d.p.

tumblr_nr8byhFB2p1rudb5lo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_nr8byhFB2p1rudb5lo5_1280.jpg
tumblr_nr8byhFB2p1rudb5lo6_1280.jpg
tumblr_nr8byhFB2p1rudb5lo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nr8byhFB2p1rudb5lo4_1280.jpg

Replies

• dfpdigital
    bumping with a new post. Any critique or feedback is appreciated.

0b3ae98c09.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Really neat end design, reminds me of Titan AE. The pants are probably the most interesting pieces of the whole design, while the shoes look like they could use some more work, they don't look like they'd function properly with the soles just sticking out all unsupported like that.

The whole character is pretty simple, which is perfect for a 2d animation, but it might pay to look into more ways to make this character unique and throw in some more details if you are applying to a 3d animation company, or games.

Keep it up! :)
  • dfpdigital
    Thank you Avanthera, I am glad that some of Don Bluth's influence on my childhood shows in this piece, this was a short project in which i could possibly expand more on the clothing concepts.

here is a more or less complete idea of the character.

475b098bae.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey! First off, I really love your design work and sketches! They're super fun. Your color concepts are also all really solid schemes and look pretty good!

But this last "presentation" sort of piece is a little lackluster. It's really desaturated (this could be my monitors being terrible, but overall it's the impression I get), and the character lacks punch because the background has more contrast going on with those pure blacks and light greens than the character themself.

When setting up a little presentation scene like this, try to make sure any details in the background complement and help to frame the character design, rather than drawing away from it. I'd say keep it minimal when showing off designs.
    Additionally, check that your color and lighting schemes are consistent. I get the impression of an almost overcast, or hazy day from this, but the shadowing is really strong and there's no atmospheric perspective on the objects in the background. This also has the effect of making the backdrop look very flat.

With that, I hope you don't mind a really quick PO. I don't know what kind of "vibe" this picture (or for that matter; universe/story) is really intended to have, so color choices and saturation changes are made purely on what pops and as an example, and some are merely results of using a ton of filters and layer options instead of being able to mess with the colors directly. I hope the main point gets across, though.
    55a229c942c57.png

I hope this is helpful at all! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more projects from you (subbed :thumbup:).
  • dfpdigital
    Thanks so much. I'm really glad you like my designs.

You're absolutely right. After a night of sleep I came back to it and realized everything looked SUPER desaturated.

I really like what you did with the paint over. The character pops out better and I like the pillars in the background a lot more. I wasn't really sure what I wanted for the background anyway ^^; but this really helps! I will touch it up and repost.

Thanks so much for the comment and critique :)