Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge August 2014 (22)

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    @billy: Thanks, but I tried that already. I just need some more geometry, the normals on my low-poly aren't quite close enough to the normals on my high-poly, and I have too much cage extrusion. The normal map looked bad in Blender's viewport too, and that's TS synced with XNormal for sure. I think I'll go up to around 10000 and try baking again.
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,just thought I would post where I have got to so far. Lots to do of course, looking forward to getting more done.

Feedback welcome :)

thanks,

Ross
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I've been working on this after work on and off for the week clearing out the cobwebs in my brain for doing some 3D.

SZ0E5PZ.jpg

@carlson bench: hey, how did you get such a clean render image?
  • tahakitan
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    http://fav.me/d7u9c8d
    making the parts on my spare time. I am basically making boxes and adding details through normals and diffuse channels. after i'm done with the rest of the stuff i'll make the room itself.
  • xChris
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone have any good tutorials/advice on making your environments look nice in udk?
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 polycounter lvl 8
    xChris: There is no single good advice that magically makes a scene beatufiful, rather there are lots of good features in the engines and the more you use and use properly the better the scene will be. If you really want to simplify it I would say the most important thing is to have really good assets with good bakes and materials using them. Secondly the lighting, and not just how to use lightmaps, etc. but how to place them to make "cinematic" effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgO_4c1ZlRc&index=17&list=PLFF967D7CA020E636
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyPcULtbeoI&list=PL5048DD0254E3FD8B
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS8vDVCHF9c&list=PLF67DEBB462C11B46
    Hundreds of free ones, but if you are willing to pay try the Gnomon workshop or Digital Tutors. :)

Also, I have finished the highpoly.
    ZfDKCOH.png

3cePFYh.png

There is only one problem that I couldn't solve. As KustomZero pointed out the places where the screws go on the outside part of the fan hole are too big. I didn't see any solution other than reworking the whole piece by hand or starting again with more segments that have the matching distance between each other. All of them meaning hours of extra work. I thought it isn't that big deal to spend so much time with it. :)

2rxrP9B.png
  • halldor
    Offline / Send Message
    halldor polycounter lvl 6
    do any one know how to get the color randomness to the floor texture
    or anyone has a link to a tutorial ?

i want to try to do this with titled textures i know this is possibility with
    alphas and texture blend inside unreal 4
  • staceanator
    Offline / Send Message
    staceanator polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys, I was just wondering what sort of poly count a prop like the vending machine might have? Been a while since I've lurked around these forums and having the prop challenge as an alternative to the larger environment is a great idea :)

Loving the high polys @blackkeys25 and @carlson bench - with regards to the holes in the lower left corner is that something you'd usually model or 'cheat' with alpha's etc?
  • GxD11
    Offline / Send Message
    GxD11 polycounter lvl 10
    Been Working on this through work breaks and when i have free time through the week. I think the models done so far, without counting the potatoes on the inside.
    EsXjY6.jpg
    Second time working on these Noob Challenges but decided to go with the prop since i couldn't finish the environment last time, so im pretty happy i was able to do alot of the work over the week. Also wondering if its required to make a low poly version for the prop and if you guys texture the high poly first and then bake the textures into a low poly version. Really loving what everyone's doing cant wait to see the finished products.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Re-retopologized, cranked the triangle count up to 12000ish, rebaked everything, and got a first texture pass together in Substance Painter.

Thoughts?

9Diafbh.png
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just finished the 2nd/3rd day on this. Only problem I am having is trying to find the time to create it haha, but it seems to be coming along ok.

Feedback is most welcome :)

Thanks

Ross

HQGdHku.jpg
    0JYI6rq.jpg
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185: There are some awfully hard edges in there. You should probably take care of those, it'll make your model easier to read.
  • Terebellum
    Hi Everybody,

This is my first time here, first time posting and my first competition. I'm working on the Laundry Scene and I've done a bit so far. I'm making all of the assets low poly. Ill post up the work I have completed so far, any feedback and constructive criticism is welcomed and very appreciated.

Breakdown First.
    ArTkkK2.jpg

Room Progress.
    dRU5sZV.png

Textures, Windows and Doors.
    UzgiT8L.png

Assets.

QDzMfFm.png7IWqgNf.png
    a0KVbnD.pngjgltBTP.png
    tu635OK.pngYh6Pr6m.png
    KYxGeSd.pnghXuGR9X.png

Assets added to the room so far.

qVDgXgG.png

Thanks for your time and feedback. I look foward to talking to you all more on all of your fantastic work.

Terebellum.
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185: There are some awfully hard edges in there. You should probably take care of those, it'll make your model easier to read.

Hey JedTheKrampus, ah yes I am aware of the hard edges as I have not smoothed it out yet. It's in-between the blocking/high-poly stages :) It'll be smooth soon though lol.

Thanks,

Ross
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    f454ec3a9ee77a6a2eb637ebef11aedb.png

Trying to finish this one this month.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    Terebellum I don't think comic sans is a good logo typefont. or a good font at all really

going to enter this one i think. taking it pretty casually. i'd like to get some props strewn around like there's been a confrontation but that'd go against that eerie tone of the concept art. i guess we will see
    0b4ee0c809.jpg
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    I find today the august thread! And I'm in. I'm going to do all low poly, I don't feel that high is needed. So far the camera and the light angles in ue4. And well the first noob challange I participate :D:D

kgnDYb0.jpg?1
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    b01eb189d1c79cfe0df3c3d8501552c8.png

Calling it for the night. Redid the face plate for the fan and started working on detailing.
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley: It seems that you have baked normal map on your LP, although there are a few unsmoothed polys, for example on the chimney and on the pipes. Is it intentional? :) I think it should be smooth as well, following the concept. Also there are a few baking errors like around the openable panel (with the handlewheel). If you are using 3DS Max for baking you have an option for error coloring, if you turn that on you will see red on these locations. Just use caged baking and adjust the cage.
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisher007 wrote: »
    JonConley: It seems that you have baked normal map on your LP, although there are a few unsmoothed polys, for example on the chimney and on the pipes. Is it intentional? :) I think it should be smooth as well, following the concept. Also there are a few baking errors like around the openable panel (with the handlewheel). If you are using 3DS Max for baking you have an option for error coloring, if you turn that on you will see red on these locations. Just use caged baking and adjust the cage.

I haven't baked anything yet. That is my initial blockout with some pieces started with detailing and turbosmooth thrown on (others don't even have proper smoothing yet). I've fixed the isses on the front part near the valve. I also need to fix the fan covering corners also.
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, sorry. Those shadow errors look really weird then. :)
  • dystopianghost
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 10
    Haven't Been Able To Post Much Cause Of Work But I Am Working On Floor TextureWorkingonFloortexture_zps2e78524a.png
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished with the lowpoly + normal + AO. :) ~8000 triangles

What do you think as an appropriate triangle count for an object like this? I thought 5-10K is acceptable as this is a more prominent part of the visual, not just a random background element. :)

j6DqsI2.png

CcCmWay.png
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    I went to around 12k without the potatoes, toilet paper, part of the fan grate, and some additional cables and geometry on the back. You could probably go higher depending on what system you're targeting and what type of game it could be. For a PC game I don't think 20k to 30k would be out of the question, especially for a first or third person game, especially since there are a bunch of pretty fiddly details in there.

If anyone is curious, the Russian text on the front translates to 'Amenities' in English. I'm about to put the text in myself and I wanted to know what it meant.
  • ireeenuey
    Offline / Send Message
    ireeenuey polycounter lvl 8
    I'm going to give this a shot, as I've never done any challenges on here. Not too much to see yet, but here's a quick and dirty breakdown followed by the initial blocking out in UE4:

wCDUygH.jpg
    iSmeLRN.jpg
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys doing first the big ones and also I think I would have problems with the sunlight... well 3 variations of the washing machine as the concept, so just some quick screenshots:
    edit: floor and walls mats are from ue4..
    eOc9A24.jpgOQb0mDg.jpg
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    More work on the high poly. The whistle, fan blades, nuclear reactor and the back part of the body need some more work.

8d97b9d8da57f1737623a341961e1c19.png
    18b89f6f067bee88b6817d0e1d5d85d8.png
    849e29f0a779a81aab8903d3bd8b7217.png
  • Wulf
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    Everyone's progress seems to be exceptionally well. I am proud of the participation I have seen throughout this month's installment of the challenge. Good job everyone. :thumbup:
    Finally finished with the lowpoly + normal + AO. :) ~8000 triangles

Your model looks fantastic for a low-poly version, and the topology seems to be in order. Are you planning on texturing your asset?
    You forgot the potatoes, how are people going to meet their dietary needs? :poly124:

Note to self: Pick a prop concept that isn't as good so people would be more inclined to create the environment. Hehe.
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Wulf! Absolutely, full texturing is on its way. I was planning to make it in 4K. What do you think what is an appropriate resolution for it? Is it too big?

I didn't forgot the potatoes! I thought it is unnecessary to have them in geometry, my plan is to make planes for each of them and place a normal mapped texture on it with transparency. It can be on the same map with the glass as it needs transparency either way. Ooooorrr make some evil shader wizardy, like in Bioshock. http://simonschreibt.de/gat/windows-ac-row-ininite/
    I would probably pull my hair out getting my head around it but it's just so amazing. 8) And avoiding transparency is always a good bet. :)

BTW, I wanted to join the Skype group but Alex didn't accept my request yet, I sent one to you as well. Is there any interesting stuff going on, like more people discussing things or anything worth joining? :)
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a few minor things to add to the high poly in max still (outer fan grate needs flatted where it meets. After that I will take it to zbrush to beat it up a bit.

This is the closest I've come to completing a full model.

GNqiAnF.jpg
  • Wulf
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Wulf! Absolutely, full texturing is on its way. I was planning to make it in 4K. What do you think what is an appropriate resolution for it? Is it too big?

-snip-

BTW, I wanted to join the Skype group but Alex didn't accept my request yet, I sent one to you as well. Is there any interesting stuff going on, like more people discussing things or anything worth joining? :)

Well, it depends on if you are making the prop in a current-gen game resolution. I am not the master at this myself at all, but I would recommend using a 4K texture at the moment if you want to make this prop into a portfolio piece, as well as a way for you to practice texturing at high resolution.

About Skype, I don't have any current contact requests from anyone at the moment. Would you mind re-sending it?
    Unless you are Francisco, which is the most recent person I added to the group.

The group is always worth joining. :)
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf wrote: »
    Note to self: Pick a prop concept that isn't as good so people would be more inclined to create the environment. Hehe.

Last month knives were awesome! And I'm Francisco(skype), going to work a lot today so later on more screenshots.
  • Kyuzo
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    almost finished with highpoly.

Gray render and one with quick colors
    jd9EHTE.jpg
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing floor, walls and ceiling... and well if you see something strange tell me!
    83rUrR2.jpg?1

Both floor and walls done quick in zbrush
    3yGvj5n.jpg

WEzZmIc.jpg
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    those are some shiny walls

but, here is my progress. the twist is that it takes place in everyone's favourite save spot

c46a1907fe.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Well, it depends on if you are making the prop in a current-gen game resolution. I am not the master at this myself at all, but I would recommend using a 4K texture at the moment if you want to make this prop into a portfolio piece, as well as a way for you to practice texturing at high resolution.

About Skype, I don't have any current contact requests from anyone at the moment. Would you mind re-sending it?
    Unless you are Francisco, which is the most recent person I added to the group.

The group is always worth joining. :)

Should be added, been busy sorry.
  • Fisher007
    Offline / Send Message
    Should be added, been busy sorry.

No worries, I got in eventually. :) Thanks Wulf!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    Things are really starting to come together here.

91lOfxe.png

I put the radioactivity sticker in the wrong place. Maybe tomorrow I'll move it.

@Kyuzo: It seems like your proportions and shapes are a little off. Try checking them against the orthographic references that are in the concept art. I would also recommend showing us renders in perspective, as it's a little easier to realistically judge shapes that way.
  • staceanator
    Offline / Send Message
    staceanator polycounter lvl 3

Its actually the addition of the props thats drawn me back in, think I've been trying to take too much on on top of work that not finishing the environments on time was putting me off. Loving the choice this month, been a nice test!

Heres a beautifully low quality screenshot, currently finishing off the high poly. I've messed up the scale and some of the smaller details a little but I think I'm close to calling it a day to give me time to work on the low poly/baking/texturing. Never managed to finish one of these on time so fingers crossed this is the month :D

tumblr_nagj19wmT01tjffvdo1_1280.jpg

JonConley - really like the detailing you've added into the panel on the right hand side, trying to figure out the tidiest way to cut holes into the wheel at the moment

fisher007 - thanks for posting those UDK links, got a feeling they're going to come in pretty handy soon
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    Tons of thins added, also have half fire extinguisher, changed the shinny walls too.. well any thoughts? next doing clothes-blankets, probably doing only textures and low poly meshes for those

IGnM8BW.jpg
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    So I have gotten further along on my project. I've been jumping about on the tiny bits here and there figuring what I should spend time creating and what I should work with on the textures.
    Mi78q0V.jpg
    Soon the dreaded unwrapping....
  • bobmartien
    Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11

Yeah ^^. The props is really cool btw.
    :thumbup:
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest progress of the object, getting there, still bits to add on and tweak some things. Feedback welcome as always! :)

DsDlQiA.jpg?1
  • bobmartien
    Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11
    Okay here is my Highpoly. Other details will be in the normal.
    It's just a fast preview, we dont see all details i guess :)

AzUHKxd.jpg
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update, only managed to get a little extra done... Nearly finished the high poly though :)

0J5pafB.jpg
  • Doomathon
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hello,

Here are two renders of my high poly so far. It's about 98% complete. This is my first challenge and I'm having a great time with it! So thanks for the experience!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doomathon: That looks really short. You should check proportions.
  • ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick colour sample render to see what it could potentially look like, didn't do it all but will try and finish the draft off soon.

ansW8VJ.jpg?1
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    Added lots of things, as the "finished" fire extinguisher, a bit of corridor outside the door, touched the lights, improved the floor material, windows with dirt, also some objects where without uvws or overlapping and finish those and maybe more who knows. Started with the party things and the clothes

CZt1cLi.png

and well not sure about the clothes, are just a low poly with a material, let me know what you think..(a master material with instances for the colors)

12THw64.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme