Home Technical Talk

how to change rate at which values change in 3ds max

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
like for example clicking these little up and down arrows: http://i.imgur.com/9n4OFgq.png

clicking it once makes the value jump like 20 mm, which really isnt good since my model is like 20mm wide in total, so itd be nice to be able to adjust it with slightly more accuracy

Replies

• Zhalktis
    Offline / Send Message
    Zhalktis polycounter lvl 2
    When you're adjusting the value, hold down [Ctrl] for a larger change, or [Alt] for more precision. Not to mention you can just type in the exact value.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Holy shit I never knew this. I am going to forever use this, like every day now.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    hmm that helps a little bit, but not enough. I know for a fact that it used to adjust by 0.1mm per click before, but now its going 25mm per click (2.4mm if i hold alt) there must be some way to adjust it permanently?
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    Ive found the answer after studying my 3ds max bible (the good book)

you can adjust the precision of these value fields (called spinners apparently) from the preference settings > general tab > spinners. Precision lets you control the amount of decimals in the spinners, and the snaps value seems to serve as sort of a multiplier for how much the value changes with each click (unfortunately doesnt change the adjustment speed when dragging the slider, but ctrl/alt helps with that)

also if you click on the value, and press ctrl+N, it lets you input an expression in to the spinner which is totally rad.