Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge February 2015 (27)

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    All good, if anything it gives use a better view of the asset before alot of area were hard to see
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    More painting. Going real slow :(

N0NnlfM.png
  • Vasilesco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vasilesco polycounter lvl 8
    Phil-424 - I reaaly like what you did until now...go ahead:D I have a little comment about the handles because it looks like are too small

Update - I'm very noob at texturing so please say everything you want so i can learn more :D

xO7RBs0.png?1
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    Did you already put specular reflections on your model? If so the wood reflects too much light and the metal could reflect a bit more. Apart from that, I would make the gaps between the single planks of wood smaller.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    @Vasilesco
    The metal rim around the shield needs a lot more segments, you could probably double the sides without any problems. I would probably dial down the damage on the wood a bit and focus it more on the edges of the planks. I also agree that the planks need to be closer and the material definition is very lacking (but it looks like it's still WIP so that one is understandable).
  • hawk274980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawk274980 polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Guys, I decided I would get in on this months noob challenge.
    I've decided to try to model the skull shield. This is currently what i have done.
    I have yet to model the skulls.

http://hawksgames.dx.am/Shield_1_Image.html
    http://hawksgames.dx.am/Shield_2_Image.html

(Sorry Guys, I'm new to the forums and dont know how to post pics haha)
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress for today, no sculpting yet.
    XkVAId5.png
    BeeWcVQ.png
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    First blockout for the shield:
    render_by_dethling-d8gsm8e.jpg
  • Phil-424
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phil-424 vertex
    Vasilesco wrote: »
    Phil-424 - I reaaly like what you did until now...go ahead:D I have a little comment about the handles because it looks like are too small

Update - I'm very noob at texturing so please say everything you want so i can learn more :D

xO7RBs0.png?1

Yeah I think I'll re address the handle before I unwrap it. Not fully satisfied with it. The only crit I've got with your texture is mainly the seam on the top left and the normal for the scratch on the decoration is noticeably repeated in the same place on each on, but aside from those I think the wood is really nice and the metal has a nice looking roughness to it. You may want to look at doing some spec and gloss maps to make the metal more reflective than the wood coz it looks faily uniform at the minute. Really nice work so far.
  • billitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor polycounter lvl 5
    hello guys, this is my progress on this day, i make HP model for sculpt in zbrush, on weekend i will post a sculpt version of this shield

W2ssWXq.jpg
    F4hZN5T.png
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    Calling the front done for now. May go back and revisit the metal in the middle and added in some scratches that show the metal of the bolts.

H5hlLNs.jpg
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    @JonConley, looking great

Going pretty slow on this but here's my highpoly and first attempt at using Keyshot. The placement of the bolts on the concept doesn't seem to make a lot of sense but I didn't want to deviate much.

896IP1d.jpg
  • rythmecardiaqu
    My first try. Blockout in SketchUp, Unwrap in Maya, Texturing in Substance D+P and Rendering in Marmoset. If you give me some tips, i would be so happy.)
    UsMK5sxQmj8.jpgHDyuYkErBaM.jpgJaqNFzOO3nE.jpg
  • Wulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wulf polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, the participation shown thus far is amazing.

Keep up the fantastic work everyone.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current progress, probably going to call it a night.

[sketchfab]8771441b2dda465ea17a43c205f25f7d[/sketchfab]
    Norse Shield by thejon113 on Sketchfab
  • Maher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maher polycounter lvl 5
    cool challenge :D
    i will work on one of the shields , i hope i can get a really good result
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krztyczekpstryczek polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,
    My goal of this month is create whole set of shields:) I want to increase my production speed and think the challenge is like big gig with short deadline, has to be done fast with decent result.

So there is first 8 shields, still half way to end the modelling process. Then the fun part - Unwarping UVs :poly124:

ap5RZ2R.png?1
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @krztyczekpstryczek Those look pretty neat already. Are you planning on making high polies as well or are you just going to stick with low poly and hand paint?
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JamesArk really nice work. I love back side of the shield. You should add more depth to the engraving.

@JonConley you're fast man. The only suggestion I have for you is breaking edges of the paint. Should be more jagged in this case coz wood is cut in many places causing paint to flake. I hope you know what I mean:)
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @f1r3w4rr10r I'm planning to do HPs then sculpt inside Zbrush and bake normals. I hope I finish LPs and Uvs till the end of Sunday maybe Monday. I'm not good at low poly handpainted stuff. Its easier for me to sculpt, bake AO, cavity and curvature and then paint. But I should definitely try to handpaint some asset in future.
  • Phil-424
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phil-424 vertex
    Thanks for the advice on the handle, I've reworked it and now I feel satisfied enough to go ahead and unwrap it and take it into zbrush because I shouldn't need to rework any major geometry that will effect the unwrap. Next step is the normals and then on to texture.

Y5IrkJQ.jpg
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen quite a few people here already that want to start unwrapping before finishing their sculpt.
    I just want to ask: What is the point? What if you change the physical appearance so much with the sculpt, that you need to change your low poly? Most of the work you already did will be lost in that case. Unless I am missing something here, why do you guys do that?
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @f1r3w4rr10r In my case, I'm sure what I want to unwrap and what not. I know that topology of wooden planks after sculpting will be the same so I unwrap it before going to Zbrush. But for example dragon heads needed to be detailed and then retopologized so that would be waste of time doing UVs before sculpting. I feel it's only experience, planning and personal workflow. For me it's better to do boring stuff in early stage and then having fun.
  • Phil-424
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phil-424 vertex
    I've seen quite a few people here already that want to start unwrapping before finishing their sculpt.
    I just want to ask: What is the point? What if you change the physical appearance so much with the sculpt, that you need to change your low poly? Most of the work you already did will be lost in that case. Unless I am missing something here, why do you guys do that?

For me I broke down the concept into the parts that I know will need geometry in there and looked at what I could achieve through a normal map, the only extra detail to put in from the concept is detail for the wood, the metal rivet or bolt type things, some texture on the metal and the decoration on the top of the spikes that should all be replicated in the normal map. I will do the unwrap first because I will use the low poly to project onto with the high poly, but this is a first for me so its more of an experiment on my part haha.
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes of course you are going to use the unwrapped low poly in the end to bake the texture down from the high poly. I would do an unwrap after I am done with the high poly as well. I just don't see much sense in unwrapping the low poly, before I have even started sculpting the high poly. In case I end up sculpting something that I can't realize in a good way with just a normal map, the unwrap would be for naught.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JamesArk really nice work. I love back side of the shield. You should add more depth to the engraving.

@JonConley you're fast man. The only suggestion I have for you is breaking edges of the paint. Should be more jagged in this case coz wood is cut in many places causing paint to flake. I hope you know what I mean:)

Yeah, I absolutely know what you mean. I've mostly been trying to get the materials to look right. I've painted the materials without photo sourcing the mats to try and help with my overall digital painting skills. Once I get the mats in place for the rest of the shield I'm going to go back and damage up the paint a bit and the bolts that are in the painted area.
  • happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PHUudt5.jpg

Hi guys!

This is my 1st time participating, always been a lurker. I'm impressed by everyone's quality and speed!

I chose this shield (3rd row, 2nd col) so I could use it for my portfolio. Currently this is the base in Max, will retopo it after I'm done with high-poly. Any crits meanwhile will be highly appreciated :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi guys! I see many great works around here !!!

I've been working on this shield, I still have a lot of work, I made a base mesh in 3dsmax and then I have given details in zbrush.
    2ugi4oj.jpg
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    First shield done. All painted by hand ;P

l84gdgU.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    pigart wrote: »
    First shield done. All painted by hand ;P

l84gdgU.jpg
    Awesome textures! :)
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Okay, so I am doing a new shield since the last wasn't fun for me. This one has been enjoyable and I'm looking forward to sculpting it! Here's the block out with half the wooden boards. Loving all the stuff here guys!

4sH1eIP.jpg

@Chus_Orgaz: the shield is looking pretty sweet! One thing I noticed though was maybe you could vary the wood grains a bit so you can get more visual interest. They seem to be generally the same size.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love seeing all the shields, you guys are killing it this month!
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Hey PigArt!

I was watching you stream this and wanted say these turned out great!
  • Artush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artush polycounter lvl 7
    WOW awesome shields love those details ! :poly121:
    JamesArk that shield is AMAZING !

...so now here is my terrible update :D .. I did not had much time, so this is mostly today's work
    i was mainly working with zBrush and learning to controle it.. (it was hard but i made it :D)

here is picture:
    cry04_by_artush-d8gwzyc.jpg
    textures... u can use them
    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2015/037/3/6/textures_by_artush-d8gx0np.png

little walkthrough:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsBFfyrlQWA[/ame]

I think i will not finish it, but i will try my best...
    And i'm really fighting with those buildings (size) and i have no idea how to make roads well we will see... :D

next time my plan is to finish this blacksmith shop

ok so here it is...

GL and have fun :)
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No sculpting yet again, I just made the belt a bit more interesting, gonna start sculpting tomorrow.
    48iqfq0.png
  • Maher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maher polycounter lvl 5
    Finished the base mesh with 400 tris , I planning to hand paint it :)

pNTdfZn.png

GfnIlnF.png
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Artush I think your blockout is looking nice! You seem to have the proportions and road shape down. I'm having similar issues with building size, relative to one another. I need to get some progress up. :P

So far as your textures go, I think the stone would benefit from a little flattening on top. Right now it looks more like obsidian/glass in the way its fracturing around the edges. I also think some added geo on the roof tiles would really benefit the scene, at least on the well and lower roofs! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    the low poly model is finished! Now is time to make UV'S and project maps!:) 2guw29g.jpg
  • riceart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    hi all
    @pigart, in not a fan of this blue tint all over your textures but besideds that, great work
    my approach on shield theme, im new to pbr stuff so any ideas how to improve this would be appreciated
    15qxorb.jpg
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @riceart Those textures don't really look correct, if you want to use them with PBR. Have a look at this: https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide
    Especially the second PDF.

Added some damage:
    wprHxKi.png

And some more detail on the grip:
    TU57s3w.png
  • Busterizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    Here's mine, obvious wip, This model currently sits at 4.692 tris (gonna be less by the end at least for 1/3 I think). My goal in this challange is to see how many I can complete until end of the month.

shield_1_wip.jpg

As for the others, you people do really inspiring work here, I will try to match others to see if I can achieve the same level of quality.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first completed model. The paint could probably be beat up a bit more and the leather doesn't look bad, but could eventually look better. Maybe add a bit of dirt over top to change it up a bit.

Didn't use substance or ddo. I am trying to learn digital painting so hand painted everything and created all maps (except normal, that was just edited in photoshop) either by painting or copying over sections from the albedo. I used the AO as a base for a few things and painted over top.

VP7dFyp.jpg

K4CgcdJ.jpg

Flats:
    Albedo
    ojnKlgq.jpg

Normal
    y1kf2ZL.jpg?1

Gloss
    XATNNp1.jpg?1

Metalness
    BrbSPo3.png?1
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Good stuff Jon, turned out quite nice. My only criticism is towards the leather, which you already pointed out anyways.

Baked my normals, will texture soon:

CnDyntG.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys I would like to join this month's prop challenge, Here is my block out of my shield, and I am going to start to work on my high poly next.
    qs4tJeR.jpg
    yiXn2p4.jpg
    o0duvQt.jpg

I also have worked on one of the other shields before, and also would love to hear your feed back on it as well thanks guys!
    ctjLNRs.jpg
    yTrqQd3.jpg
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JonConley: Why is the blue paint on the normal map?

@tehrobster2: The second shield looks a bit squished. Also I don't really see a reason why there should be such deep gashes on the back side of the shield especially where the wearer's arm would normally be.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Tried zbrush for the first time today:

zbrush_first_by_dethling-d8h5cd6.jpg?1

P.S.: Did anyone else think the UI & save functionality of zbrush is... strange? (Or did I simply miss something)
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JonConley: Why is the blue paint on the normal map?

I looked into how normal maps actually worked, I knew they were a vector but needed to know which axis each color used. Found out that blue is Z and should not be below 127. Now since the paint would dull the normals of the wood I went ahead and added a levels layer mask that brought the red and green channels closer to 127 and then upped the blue since it would be higher than the wood.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    @Jon: Normal maps only describe angles, not height. I would probably not add the paint to the normal map at all (as the coating will be so thin), but if I were to do it for whatever reason you would mostly just be able to see it on the edges of the paint (as that is the only place the paint would change any of the angles). If you want to layer effects (like paint, water or anything else) you will need some kind of additional application like nDo, Crazybump or nVidias normalmap filter (I'd recommend nDo).
    Just changing the levels won't give you the effect you're after. What you've done here will just change either how much light the paint receives (depending on if you're renderer normalizes the normal maps) or what angle the paint will be lit from. What you want is just a stroke around the paint with a beveled edge which is what you'd get from an app like nDo.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak, Yeah I understand it is just the unit vector of the the mapping from the low normal to the high normal in tangent space. Really what I should do is renormalize the map with what I have. I understand it wouldn't be that blue, but it was a quick and dirty way to try and renormalize the normals.
  • Merlynn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Merlynn polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome Prop challenge. Decided to join :)xoVHNNBB