Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio advice needed! Environment Artist

Just finished my website and will start looking for jobs now

Here is the website: http://jarkkokouva.com/

Any C&C related to my website or work in it would be more than welcome! Thank you for your time

Replies

• Phaeton1911
    Offline / Send Message
    Phaeton1911 polycounter lvl 4
    the 40s new york scene i think is the best piece, thats i went straight for, your break downs and how you show model and textures used in a scene i think are great.
    thought possibly the text sections aren't necessary, i didn't feel a need to read them at great detail.

probably my main dislike was the scrolling front page, doesn't feel right to have big images that are cut off on either side
  • esDeus
    the 40s new york scene i think is the best piece, thats i went straight for, your break downs and how you show model and textures used in a scene i think are great.
    thought possibly the text sections aren't necessary, i didn't feel a need to read them at great detail.

probably my main dislike was the scrolling front page, doesn't feel right to have big images that are cut off on either side

Thx for the feedback! I was thinking the scrolling as well.. Will probably change it if others feel the same way. I know the text is quite unnecessary, but should I keep it in case someone actually wants to read all of it?
  • allknighter
    Offline / Send Message
    allknighter polycounter lvl 5
    I agree with what Phaeton says. In the way that having them all laid out is a lot easier, and its less clicking and waiting. Cause now you have to click to what you want. Click on it to get to the page about it, and then click in the picture again, to be able to see it fullsize. I'd imagine people would find it to be a bit of a hassle to do with all of your artworks.
    Further, id put the image you're most proud of first. And I think we'd all agree its not those orange thingies. Generally you should put it in an order of best>worst, for more wow effect;)
    And as nice and sleek the site is in white, I would personally add some color to it. Doesn't have to be much. But maybe a soft blue flat color, or gradient for that matter. Cause greytones can get very dull. + there's a lot of people who turn down their screen brightness cause white colors can add onto the headache from a long workday.

Other than that, I really like how diverse the stuff you show, are:)
    Best of luck, competitor;D
  • esDeus
    Changed the layout. Hope it is a bit better now.
  • allknighter
    Offline / Send Message
    allknighter polycounter lvl 5
    Much better;)
    I dunno how it looks on a PC screen but on a phone screen at least, you'd gain from pushing the gallery part 30px higher up, so as to get everything fit on the screen.
  • gsokol

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I like the idea of having the text there. Its really good to get a peek into your thought process, areas that you challenged yourself with, and what the overall goal of the piece was for. I would definitely say keep that.

I think the 1940s new york scene isn't half bad. You mentioned that it was part of a class project? Did you do all the work for this yourself? Or just parts of it? It would be good to say and specifically point out what things you did for it.

Also I really liked the WIP Experiment one.

I'd say just keep at it and keep posting better and better work as you improve and progress.
  • DWalker
    I'm not a big fan of the mouse-hover appearance; the image is almost totally obscured when the mouse is over an image. It's more common for the normal image to appear when the mouse is over it, and for the default image to be different.