Home General Discussion

Autodesk Certification?

Has anyone gone through or thought about getting "Autodesk Certification"?
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=14238652

The topics seem pretty easy?
"Use the import feature to import model data"
"Use the Slate Material Editor"
"Edit FOV (Field of View)"
http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/Autodesk_3ds_Max_2015_Certification_Roadmap.pdf

What is the test actually like? Do they drill down pretty deep or is it as easy as "import this FBX file", check.
Does it cost anything?
How do you go about marking yourself as certified?

And most importantly, do you think it carries any weight?

Replies

• radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    it costs money yes, it also carries no weight imo
  • EarthQuake
    Would probably be a good idea if you're going through a visa process and need to convince the visa folks that you're an exceptional worker, any sort of degree or certification or published work you can show will help your cause.

Now, carrying weight within the industry? No.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I don't see it carrying any weight whatsoever in the gaming or visual FX industry. However, in the oil and gas, architectural or simulation field, I can see it being something that might make your resume stand out a bit to HR.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    And most importantly, do you think it carries any weight?

I think so if you do demo or workshop gigs at regional or international conventions, promote yourself as an AD tutor-for-hire (private, institutional or non-gamedev company), leverage for any career goals particularly when it comes to salary negotiations or contract.

And if you're pitching to investors who don't have a clue about production artists, self-training vs. degree training, good topology vs bad topology etc. it will be a least a discussion point for you.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    as magic sugar said, might be useful if you want to work as trainer, for giving workshops and speeches, or outside film and games.
    If it's one of those "you have to renew it for a fuckton of dollars every year" scam-y things, I'd skip it. It just makes you look like you have no clue what to do with your money.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'd go with Udemy. Some of the courses they offer provide certifications at a fraction of the price. The content level is the same for my old uni course (for the ones i have) but you may have to dig to find gold.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I think Udemy certification is issued by Udemy for having taken part in Udemy's Max classes. It's not the same as certification from Autodesk, is it?
  • mikhga
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    I've done the Maya Professional Certification for 2013 and 2015.

The difficulty seems to differ between tests, I thought the 2013 one was more difficult since a lot of the questions were extremely technical in nature, asking about details surrounding obscure file formats and render settings. The 2015 test was easier in the way that it was more intuitive and relevant for everyday use. A lot of the questions were about camera settings and animation, and they were designed in such a way that even if you didn't know the answer by heart it was still easy to find out just by experimenting and playing around in Maya.

The cost of the test I'm not sure about, as my employer pays for mine, but I think its in the ballpark of $100-$300.

Regarding how to market yourself as a certified professional I haven't really thought about it, since like everyone else here is saying, it won't really increase your standing in the industry, but I guess you can add it to your resume and/or LinkedIn.

All in all I think its a fun test to take, and if you have the opportunity/someone else pays for it then I think you should go for it as you do get a nice t-shirt if you pass. :)
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I knew a guy who got some teaching and training gigs, including some pretty high-paying stuff, and I know him having those certifications were a big part of how he got those gigs. But, unless that's what you're pursuing, I don't think they're particularly useful at all.