Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samurai Ronin

Replies

• wolfonthehorizon
  • OllieX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SAMURAIPRESENTATION.jpg bam! thoughts now?
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    proportions seem about right at a glance, but in the future you may wanna show characters in perspective and from more 3/4 views, the flattening you get in orthos can often make them look a bit stiff and disproportioned :)

right now the cloth feels a little blobby, and the inconsistent folds make me wonder what sort of material it is. i'd suggest studying the specific type of cloth your character is wearing, seeing how it folds and compressed around a person, how these things differ between tension points and slack areas, etc. Sculpt your wrinkles very deliberately with this in mind, or, better yet, go into PS and make some alphas to help yourself with it.

as for the pose, i feel the arms, wrist, and hand could be in a more neutral position, even if only to make it look more natural while you work. as it stands his elbow is locked, every finger is fully extended, these are not things that we or a game character will be doing frequently.

i'd also recommend spreading the legs out from each other more, as being so close together will cause some incorrect AO in your bakes later on and make working on the inner legs / groin a pain (if you plan to do those things). this also dovetails with the point about sculpting in a more neutral pose.
  • OllieX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SAMURAIPRESENTATION2.jpg So I spaced out the legs a bit, and even though my wrinkles are perhaps a bit off, I am almost ready to accept them the way they are because of dedlines for my class. As for the hands, I agree that they are in a very awkward position, but I may also keep them because I don't exactly know how to turn then without needing substantial amounts of clean up. Other Thoughts ?