Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16

Lofting by picking "Get Shape" requires your shape to be created from the correct axis.

You can do a corrective rotation in sub level, not on object level.

Edit spline -> sub lvl 2, rotate the shape.

You'll find more information of the basic tools here: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/

Edit: Btw Per, very interesting discussion. I'll get back to it asap!
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Yo dudes! I'm working on a school project right now, and I'm wondering if I can get some help with this. I need to model something that somewhat closely resembles this shape here: but I'm not sure where to start. I'm wondering if someone can give some good pointers? Its a abstract/organic model with many complex curves, which is something I'm having trouble with. I'll appreciate any help! Thanks

P.S. I use 3DS Max

I think that could be done incredibly quickly if you used zbrush - mask and extract...?
  • Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausonian polycounter lvl 13
    karasuzanu wrote: »
    sorry. I am a novice. I was confused.. blender nuts factory model. ending with tries. tries for hardsurface model is good or bad or
    I guess it does not matter for this model. but if, I blend this screw in animation quad is batter right.

Thenks for comment.

You shouldn't limit yourself with "rules" you read somewhere in some forum...
    Triangles are absolutely fine, if they give you good results :)
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    perna wrote: »
    This is exactly the kind of stuff that 3ds Max is great at... Don't use anything else.

To illustrate what I said above:
    Twirlysphere - YouTube

This and your other comments have been super useful man. Thanks for being such an awesome help!!
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    I think that could be done incredibly quickly if you used zbrush - mask and extract...?
    But it would generate really wonky geometry. With a retopo you could clean this up but in a real production environment where you often need to iterate your models you can´t just go back and tweak a value when you use zbrush...
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    anybody could help me , I struggle with this

I don't know how to model the piece of string that wrap around the handle of the knife

I'm thinking of make a rope wraping around using pathdeform, but I don't know how to make a spline "scrolling" around that handle

United-Cutlery-Gil-Hibben-Cord-Grip-Thrower.jpg
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    The curve that goes along the handle could be done with a helix. Then you shrinkwrap the helix onto your geometry.

oe3cps7q.jpg
  • BerlinBoy6329
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BerlinBoy6329 polycounter lvl 2
    Hey there! Just registered. Mainly for this topic. I don't model too much because i don't really have any motivation. And when i do, all i gain in the end is just a lot of frustration. My latest creastion was a "key". Well it looks like a key, but it's actually a piece of shit. It's incomplete and messed up topology-wise. I spent around 8 hours to create it, but most of the time was wasted on drawing edges, cleaning up non-manifold geo and figuring out how to draw the topology ---> no fun. I spend the majority of time on troubleshooting and moving shit around rather than actually creating. And still the outcome is this messy turd. I went through the mojority of the thread and saw a shitton of problems and solutions to them and also studied the corresponding wiki page .

How can i improve myself? Even after studying the thread and similar other sites on topology, i still can't make anything with a proper wireframe. And why practice if i will just repeat the same mistakes?

How do i freely create anything on any geometry? The small hole, the "groove" (or crevice?), that decoration on the top. I don't even know where to start. Everything is too fucked up for me.

Maybe it wasn't a coincidence i failed to keep my interest up in modeling. This is like the 4-5th time I'm trying to learn it . I mainly want to be a compositor, and learn lighting/shading besides it as these two are usually together ( Lighting & compositing ). in addition to this, i want to learn modeling as well because this way i don't have to download others creations from the internet and use those, instead i can create anything i want without limits. Or in this case, many many limits.

I numbered my problems in the picture to make answering easier. (Shit, i missed one of the most important one about the "groove" (crevice?) )

tl;dr: I'm fucking shit and i should just give up beacuse i can't even model a key properly.

LARGE IMAGE!

http://www.kephost.com/images4/2014/4/2/a1_2014_4_2_qchhzf1rot.jpg
  • BerlinBoy6329
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

an obsession with technical details that are completely nonsensical such as needing "even topology" on a flat plane and having to avoid ngons. You're working extremely hard to demotivate yourself, so as a result, you stop making an effort, so you don't improve, and then you just repeat the cycle and never get anywhere, and probably get increasingly frustrated with each effort.

Well, if i want to work as a modeller or smth, or just model smth i'm asked to, proper topology should be important, shouldn't it?

It's a job. Where you are asked to model ANYTHING. You can't go around asking people what to do when you are stuck. Or can you? Who employs a guy, who can't do anytinhg on their own?

What if they wanted this key, but bended? Then it's not a flat surface anymore. You can't just say i can't do it or give this to them with a bend modifier on it. it won't look right.

With that mentality i could just use Meshfusion and save time but Modo and Meshfusion is not "industry standard". I've read about this topic and most of the guys say that it creates unusable topology, because it's too heavy and the intersections are just plain wong and messy ( even after Zremesher it's too heavy) . Though i have no problem with it and would love to try it, because even with that topology it looks as it should with much less effort and time wasted, but again, not industry standard. I can put the fanciest and the most complicated models in my portfolio but then i will most likely have to recreate similarly complex shapes without Meshfusion. And then i'm fucked. That's why i want to learn to do complicated things properly without it.

This thing you are talking about comes mostly from job requirements. Nobody wants to employ unskillful people.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is that you're not at a level where worrying about topology and obsessing over technical details makes sense. You just need to get comfortable modeling shapes first.

Basically, what you're lacking is experience - not technical knowledge. The latter comes as the former grows.

And BTW, MeshFusion is perfectly usable in production, I do it all the time as do some other guys I know. It creates a high poly mesh that is great for baking normal maps from.
  • BerlinBoy6329
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why didn't you just perform those changes? I mean, the hardest part is identifying problem areas, not to fix them. It doesn't add up, bro.

I would like to but i don't know how to do them. I even started to remake the whole key by creating the crevices first, joining them up, but it got too complicated too fast so i just abandoned it.

That's why i came here posting that image, because i saw that people recreate/redraw those parts correctly so others can learn from it. I would like to do just the same.Learn. And i've chosen a key, because it's ONE complicated shape, so i can't just put it together from parts, this way i have to be careful with mindlessly inserting edge loops or something.

The way i see things is if i can learn to do the most overly complicated, ridiciulously difficult shapes, then i can do anything because everything else will seem to be child's play. And a key is a good start. Not too overly complicated, but not the simplest of all shapes either, like a desk. Or a chair. It's a good starting point. So if i could just finally look at the corrected topology, and learn about how to insert that crevice there without messing up the topology even more, i can use that knowledge in the future and you may just eradicated a bad habit before i got used to it. Or just listen to critique about the model. What looks wrong, point out things that i may have missed.

Edit:I'm not expecting to hate what i'm doing, i just get uneasy with every loop i insert or draw, the more complicated the wireframe becomes, because of all the things i've read about modeling. No triangles/ngons, only quads, sculpting applications don't like triangles and inserting or drawing a new loop just makes me uncertain of whether what i am doing is right or not so i just get frustrated because i feel that i made something shit and it takes away all the motivation i had left. Like in this case: I don't know if the way i'm going is right nad if it is, the problems i marked are jusr for the perfection. it exists in the reference image, i want to put it there too. I just don't have a clue how to do it. i tried many times, but as soon as i stumbled upon a problem i could find answers to, i just stopped. Finally I thought about coming here and asking for help.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BerlinBoy6329. What Per is saying, is that you're to emotionally attached to what you're doing at that instance. This is something you do when you're trying to learn something. I did that alot, but soon I relized I care to much of the outcome before master the basics, hence creating a mental block.

-The basics does not come over night.

- Do not get stuck on what is said in the this thread, modelling is a highly "learning by doing" skill even with the techincal aspects. You still need the grunt work of convincing yourself of the behaviour of the tools and methods.

- Re-read what Per has said.

- Take a breath of fresh air. Release your brain knots. Stop thinking.

- When you're ready to get back to it.

- Loosen up (could with just do some drawing and doodling random shapes on a piece of paper)

- Start with the basics. Make a cube. Smooth it out. Make another one, create different size of bevel.

- Start with the basics. Make a hole in a flat plane, smooth it out.

- Start with the basics. Make a hole in a flat plane, smooth it out, add a bend modifier to it.

- Start with the basics. Make a cylinder. Smooth it out.

- You get the point (I hope).

Do not underestimate the basics and don't model with heavy shoulders.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    Now I want to make a key too.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    dzibarik wrote: »
    Now I want to make a key too.

Did the above posts unlock this fantasy in you?
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Hey guys. So I'm making this robot and having troubles with a certain part. It's frustrating and where I live no one knows how to hardsurface good (don't even mention using max at all). I've read many hardsurface guides, but because each situation seems too specific for my inexperienced mind, my head simply can't grasp how to do this and it's stressing the hell out of me. This is the best I've gotten with the pinching.

lz5uPru.jpg

You can see in the 3 circles the main things I'm having trouble with (feel free to point out any other mistakes). Generally I'm selecting smoothing groups and then applying the quad chamfer plugin (then ofc turbosmooth) to create the highP.

-Near the eye: Here the quad chamfer just created bigger pinches, so I decided to make it all the same smoothing group and do the bevels by doing Inset two times (image 4), but you can see the smoothed result (image 2 and 3) still looks like shit. I don't know if diving this piece in two objects (painted with different shades of gray for you to see) is the right way to go.

-Images 5 and 6: I want to make the line that's coming from the center of the head fade away, but it's still visible. The edge at the end is also not round, though I think that's fixed by just moving the vertices around.

I'd appreciate it greatly if someone could enlighten me.
  • kikikiec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello.
    Can you take a look a wireframe of this model below.

I have no confidence on a proper wireframe of those type of hard-surface model.

Especially, the five point junctions.

I need some advice to put those five-point junction to somewhere.

Thank you :-)

ad.jpg
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    =l Sigh, and here I thought I was doing things the right way, fml. Okay, so why do you say that, perna? Because I may not know the theory behind subd modeling, and quad chamfer is just a tool that I won't be able to use efficiently till I learn the basics, or because quad chamfer is simply a bad method? Right now I thought this was an acceptable result, quad chamfer was ony speeding things up a bit. Where should I start reading perna? The 161 pages of this thread? Any other tuts? (I'm guessing double smoothing is also a big no-no too?)

Edit: kikikiec, I can't see your image (not that I'm the right guy to help you, but w/e)

fOLQa1C.jpg
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Your words are anything but bad advice perna, you're kindof one of the best around here. Thank you for the info :thumbup:
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quad Chamfer is a great time saver BUT it's used best in the hands of someone who knows what it's doing and can predict the results they're going to get. In other words, it's a time saver not a shortcut. Does that make sense?
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Indeed it makes sense WarrenM, thanks for the reply! I found this post by perna too that explains the edge flow that should be used for these cases which is also a great help. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2027449&postcount=8
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm almost done with my first car and the only thing I need to finish is the headlight.

I'm not sure if it a right thread to ask because my problem may be material related rather then subd related. I need my headlight to look like this -113943.jpg

It's pretty late here so my brain only came up with making a plane, slicing it with edge loops and cutting with booleans which might be stupid thing to do in this case because even if I clean up geometry it won't be perfectly round and if I make it round with scripts then I'll lose its strict pattern. So what should I do? Bump texture? Or is there some other way to solve this?
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, can anyone tell me how to model zipper and bandages?
    I've been strugling to do those two stuff for my next project.

I only have 3ds max and Mudbox. Been thinking to do it manually, but it's hard + time consuming. Is there any faster way?

Been searching, and looks like a lot of people using zbrush for that stuff.
    Will be really helpful if someone can answer me.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    You dont need to use z-brush for these things. Create the 2 small parts for the zipper, one piece of the "chain" and the zipper itself. Then create a path and put a array of "chain" pieces on a path where you want the zipper to be.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    @Wiki & perna
    Thanks for the answer.
    And you guys are right, maybe i should educate myself on understanding all the features 3dsmax's has.
  • ThatWalrusBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatWalrusBoy polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to go about doing these holes in the heatshield (?) area around the barrel.

AQdsEhv.jpg

I'm trying to pro-bolean in max2014 and it leaves behind a bunch of verts everywhere. I've had this issue in the past with boleans, but I usually just manually clean it up. Is there a better way to do this in Max?

Thanks

6JnJLem.jpg
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished my car. It's my first model (aside from a sofa and a dozen of other simple pieces of furniture) and it wouldn't have been done without this thread. I've read it thoroughly but still there is a lot of learn. I won't spam this thread with my models but it's my first one so critique on topology is very welcome.
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timotronprime polycounter lvl 11
    I'm trying to pro-bolean in max2014 and it leaves behind a bunch of verts everywhere. I've had this issue in the past with boleans, but I usually just manually clean it up. Is there a better way to do this in Max?

Your edges don't align at all, hence the randomly-terminating edges; Pro-Boolean won't automatically fix everything for you, you have to give it meshes with similar topology to work with.
  • ThatWalrusBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatWalrusBoy polycounter lvl 2
    Your edges don't align at all, hence the randomly-terminating edges; Pro-Boolean won't automatically fix everything for you, you have to give it meshes with similar topology to work with.

this definitely makes sense. I'll match those edges up and try again.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't mind me, I'm just here for Per's music. I just wanted to point out that the heat-shield shape is more than a simple cylinder, it looks like it's flattened where the holes are cut.
  • kinggambitben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
    Hi I'm replicating a tarp (red in picture) that's wrapped around a model. I'm a newbie so I don't have a clue how to approach this (it's a plane I believe).

I was thinking I could start with 2 curves, 1 profile for the bottom, and 1 for the top, and "loft" them together. Didn't work out though when I tried :(
    EDIT: whoops, sorry, the selected red faces are from a reference model (It's what I want to get). The one with the uv grid texture is mine.
    gLtVtWi.png
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi I'm replicating a tarp (red in picture) that's wrapped around a model. I'm a newbie so I don't have a clue how to approach this (it's a plane I believe).

I was thinking I could start with 2 curves, 1 profile for the bottom, and 1 for the top, and "loft" them together. Didn't work out though when I tried :(

[IMG][/img]

Detail/refinement aside, I don't see what is wrong with your mesh.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    You could just create a simple plane, add enough subdivisions to it and extrude the border edges down. Then you form a nice shape for the lowpoly and collapse the edges that you don´t need to hold shape.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Is it possible to model this shape in Maya, and keep some sort of control over the bevels, width and thickness of the shape and the original points of the line?

What I've discovered so far - bezier curve, PaintEffects attach brush to curve to add thickness to the line, (it's quite broken at the edges though), then convert to poly to select edge loops and bevel.

Untitled-1.jpg
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see how you could get more flexibility with subdivision. You have every parameter under control (if Quad Chamfer isn't available an Edit Poly solely for chamfering the loops works) and you can tweak everything at any time:

20140409-210405.gif

Maya's history for every operation like bevel or extrude and its node system look useful, but I can't seem to go back and modify the base shape and have everything work up to the top.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Per, what's the next step in that video? It still looks like things are just sort of eyeballed, is it just a case of close enough to boolean and weld loose verts?

The reason I ask is because I was modeling some mechanical parts to get 3d printed last night and realized I was subd modeling, noooooooooooooooooo!
  • fenimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I have just registered, although i have been visiting this site for a good few months. I am having a issue with a particular area in Sub D Modeling It's cylinder objects and this creasing that appears.

I have read through a lot of the pages on here already and have found some suggestions but they are not working. One someone said was to just increase the geo you have, so i started out low poly and gradually increased it to almost 300 polygons which still hasn't helped.

I'm wondering do i have to go even higher? or am i missing someone obvious.

upload%20problem.jpg
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey shape modelers!

So I had a few people ask me at work how I add cylinders into cylinders etc, so I did a little breakdown on how I approach it.

Here is my image breakdown:

HolesinCylinders_zpsb76553e2.jpg

So..

1. firstly I created a plane with divisions equal to the power of 2 (in this case 32).
    2. I created two cylinders as reference to cut into my mesh. (these were 16 & 8 sides)
    3. I then added my edge loops in (This is because I want to extrude pipes out of my larger cylinder later).
    4. I applied a Turbosmooth followed by a bend modifier to make my mesh smooth and cylindrical :)
    5. From here onward I can extrude my other cylinders out with minimal pinching.

Hope this was useful, sorry if im teaching people how to suck eggs ;)
  • fenimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am honestly sorry Perna, i absolutely understand how annoying it is to re-answer questions when the solution is there. I have been reading through these pages and am only currently 20 pages in. I knew it was a risk to ask before i got to the end but out of frustration i decided to just ask.

While i was waiting for a reply i did in fact (i believe) fix my issue, perhaps you could give your expertise on this as i know you are well respected here.

edited%2001.jpg
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fenimation wrote: »
    While i was waiting for a reply i did in fact (i believe) fix my issue
    edited%2001.jpg

Try not to use more geometry than it is necessary:
    VQrWaHQ.png

The smoothing isn't perfect but I think the error isn't noticeable enough.
  • fenimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have tried with lower segments but i still can't seem to hide the control edges at all.

Do you happen to have the file (.obj) for that object, so i can see how you constructed it.
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fenimation wrote: »
    I have tried with lower segments but i still can't seem to hide the control edges at all.

Do you happen to have the file (.obj) for that object, so i can see how you constructed it.

I think you're getting the vocabulary a bit wrong here. What do you mean by "hide the control edges"?

You should try to understand the behaviour of subdiv fist, I think you should start with some simple shapes, just a quad plane, turbosmooth in your modifier stack. Add one segment at a time and start dragging and pulling the vertices of your low poly cage. Add support loops at certain angles, see what they do. Play around a bit, get loose and experimental.

You still need to understand why thinks are smoothed the way they are in order to go further than just adding more loops.

Sorry for not adding examples here, I'll try and support my future post with pics.
  • kikikiec
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops Sorry. It's my bad.

the link wasn't right way to be shown on this board.

the model below is what i'm having trouble to solve a messy wire-frame

most of all, I've just tried booleans to union those two shapes.
    than spent much time to arrange its wire-frame. but got a stuck. :-(

One shows curvy surface, other narrow shape is going straight across the curvy surface.

I've tried to get some idea on my head, but probably was not enough skill to solve this.

Would you give me any idea, hint or direction and answer?

very Thanks . god bless you.

(I've attached also obj File.)

modeling.jpg

[obj File here]
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=50423C65A361FEC5%21109
  • Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausonian polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to go about doing these holes in the heatshield (?) area around the barrel.

AQdsEhv.jpg

Thanks

6JnJLem.jpg

I use this method:
    - stay in vertex sub selection;
    - in the graphite tools, click on the selection tab;
    - click on "by numeric" tab;
    - set it to <3, then click the arrow;
    - you should have most of the redundant vertexes selected now, so you can delete them (do a safety check for possible vertexes you must deselect, before clicking on remove).
  • fenimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna, You're so cryptic lol. Did i offend you yet again or something?
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Sub D is just like Zbrush; Keep sub-dividing till you have enough geo to work with.

:poly141:
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Ignore "more geo". Learn how sub-d works. Learn control loops. "The minimum amount of geo you need" is a better rule.

Perhaps it is time to change the title of the thread to something that encourages better solutions? : P
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Sounds like you should read through the thread instead of having someone do it for you.
  • timotronprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami wrote: »
    say in middle of a cylinder without causing pinching or have affect on the cylinder but still have a hard but still smoothic cut in detail. Thanks

Some examples literally on the page before
  • fenimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings. So after looking at the example timotronprime left it became clear that in order to create this shape i needed to engage more of my brain ;) Having enough geo is important but also using that geo is just, if not more important. Instead of trying to add in more edges i should be using the existing edges to my advantage. At least thats how i see it.

This mesh is rough, i believe it's 48 sides, i made a few so i have lost track, but this one gave the best results and i knew i would need close edges in order to use them as support edges without creating these creases.

Am i on the right track?

good.jpg