Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hero Prop - floating temple

So i created this for my portfolio, what do you guys think? I am still working on it so any ideas/feedback will be helpful! It isn't something meant for players to be able to access, it's something that could be off in the distance or something like that.

screenshot002.png

Replies

• jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Looks super cool. I'd say this is game ready but if you want to polish it a little bit more, I'd darken and show some more weathering on the texture of the stone near the waterfall.

Also, is the white edge around the foliage on the second tier a part of the texture or just edges of your opacity map? Either way, might want to make that look like the other leaves. Kind of distracting. Nice work!
  • dwbowes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks jhoy! yeah now that you mention it i do see a bit of white around the foliage on the top part. I think it's from the spec map. I'll look into that. I think i may add some moss or algea or something under the waterfalls and darken up the stone a bit. thanks for the reply! I want to get this thing in peak condition for my portfolio lol
  • Zieg_Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zieg_Reborn triangle
    I like the idea, but depending on the style and level of realism you are shooting for, I would:

- Make some variance in the hue and saturation of the leaves. They are all too perfectly healthy. Add some subtle browns/yellows into the greens and play with the saturation in some areas to make it feel more realistic.
    - The stone is very clean. Take some time to dirty up the parts of it that would see more weathering, especially around the waterfall like jhoythottle said.
    - The metal is extremely spotless and perfect. Of the three material types being exposed to the elements outside, the metal would show the most wear and tear. I would add some intentional wear and tear to it, especially play with the gloss/roughness maps where the metal would be worn or corroded. It will really help sell it, depending on which metal type you have in mind for it. Right now it either looks like gold, or really polished brass. Check out some reference.
  • dwbowes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Zieg_Reborn! I havent thought about changing the foliage until you pointed that out. I think thats a great idea, to add some variation to the leaves. i'm going to rough up the temple a bit and i will post some updates later on today!
  • dwbowes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a quick update: i started on some grunge on the stone, roughed up the metal, added some color differentiation to the leaves, and made the stone under the waterfalls darker and bumped up the specularity. I'm gunna probably dial back the grunge on the stone a bit from what it is now but it's a start!

screenshot004.png
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Looking better. I'm glad you showed some more roughness to the metal as well. Maybe it's just a personal opinion, but I like the original saturated leaves. Gives it nice contrast. Maybe instead of desaturating all the leaves on a global scale, you could change about 1/3 of them - or even better: make it look like the beginning of autumn. Some orange and yellow leaves could really make it pop. (be sure to use reference for this or it could look weird)
  • dwbowes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better. I'm glad you showed some more roughness to the metal as well. Maybe it's just a personal opinion, but I like the original saturated leaves. Gives it nice contrast. Maybe instead of desaturating all the leaves on a global scale, you could change about 1/3 of them - or even better: make it look like the beginning of autumn. Some orange and yellow leaves could really make it pop. (be sure to use reference for this or it could look weird)

Yeah i think it might look a bit better if i varied the color change from tree to tree also, they all have the same texture but i could easily just make like three different versions color wise and add them in. i'll make an autumn set and see how it looks too with the colors of all the stone and stuff!
  • dwbowes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp guys, I'm showing this tomorrow!!! Thank you both for the input, you guys really helped me a lot! :D I'm going to continue working on this but this will be the finished product:

screenshot000.png

Of corse it will be more professionally presented but this is the jist of it ;)