Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP realistic face attempt 1

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
allknighter polycounter lvl 5
hey everyone
I'm currently trying to make a sorta realistic face and im wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on f. ex the landmarks, and..just...everything im doing wrong.
5238cc_881b15dc53dc4ef9b792a93d6ffe2801.png_srz_p_980_629_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz
heres the face so far. Im currently working on details, but i have a feeling i might need to do something about the base shape?

heres 3/4th view
5238cc_d5f1ad7130be4ee38322d96da29898f5.png_srz_p_980_629_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

and im not using reference for the general face, other than having tried building it over a skeletal head.

update:
front
5238cc_9faf061e8186466fb41df24b04412ecc.jpg_srz_p_980_629_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

3/4
5238cc_2c07621cc0164e6787264206df7e6650.jpg_srz_p_980_629_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

update 2 - details:

front
BPR_Render_3_zps5c93225e.jpg

3/4
BPR_Render34_3_zps26dca99a.jpg

hey all.
i get that in the previous update it was a bit hard to see the added detail.
And now, im playing around with Spotlight texturing. Not very experienced with this...So here's a small update.

oUSfV1a.jpg

p3uI1gz.jpg

UwZJLmi.jpg

polypainted:
G3GJZYH.png

FGrb29K.png

xmpmFDn.png

Finished product:
Realisticface_render.png

Wires
Realisticface_wires.png

AO:
Realisticface_ao.png

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    It's looking pretty good so far:), would be useful to post side or 3/4 views, also if you're using any refs, probably should post them here as well. so i can't really give any crits:P
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    About the image:
    - Don't use black as background, it makes it harder to read some parts.
    - Screenshots from multiple angles would be better.

About the sculpt:

- The forehead seems to be tapering a little too fast as it goes up.
    - Chin needs some smoother forms.
    - Forms created by the cheekbone need to be less edgy.
    - I'd try to make the mouth a little broader to see if it works better.

Not bad, good luck!
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres 3/4
    5238cc_d5f1ad7130be4ee38322d96da29898f5.png_srz_p_980_629_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz
    heres the face so far. Im currently working on details, but i have a feeling i might need to do something about the base shape?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, this angle is more informative. I hope you don't mind me painting over your screenshot. These may or may not work but I'd definitely try them:

dYyUxSc.jpg

EDIT: Also, check out this skull to see what may be wrong with your cheekbones:

Forensics_Skull_specimen_P_top-900.jpg
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you so much for your constructive replies!
    really nice drawing EmAr. It really helped getting me some perspective on this.
    heres an update.... though. maybe i did too much? o.O
    5238cc_2c07621cc0164e6787264206df7e6650.jpg_srz_p_980_629_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

5238cc_9faf061e8186466fb41df24b04412ecc.jpg_srz_p_980_629_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz
  • drysider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drysider polycounter lvl 9
    This is starting to look really nice! You've managed to get a really nice aesthetically pleasing style across. I really love the lips, and I really like that at the moment it's a pretty androgynous sculpt, it works really well for both a young male character and a strong female character.
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    Definitely getting better from the first posts gonna follow this thread.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Looks pretty nice there! Change of planes is a little too sharp atm, and so this looks more stylized than realistic. Can't wait for more details.
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres an update.
    ive been working on the details of the face, and heres the result so far. Though i realize such details of skin might be a bit hard to see.
    and i wouldve put it on something else than a black background, but after a few quick attempts, i didnt get it to show on the render you take out.
    BPR_Render_3_zps5c93225e.jpg

BPR_Render34_3_zps26dca99a.jpg

and this is the picture i used to get my details from, as well as sort of a reference to my model(though way after i started it). So that may be one of the reasons you found it androgynous, drysider. As the person depicted used to be a woman.
    20110824_facefront_zps17c194e5.jpg

thank you so much for all your criticism, i hope y'all find more shit for me to fix:D
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all.
    i get that in the previous update it was a bit hard to see the added detail.
    And now, im playing around with Spotlight texturing. Not very experienced with this...So here's a small update.

oUSfV1a.jpg

p3uI1gz.jpg

UwZJLmi.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • air
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    air
    Hey allknighter

Your face is looking good. Some things on the spotlight texture that you might want to change are the ears and the eyes. On the ears some of the hair image overlapped on top, and the ear texture extends a little past the ear into the hair. As for the eyes, the whites might be too bright and the iris could be a just a little bigger with more contrast from the pupil.

But other that that it looks nice! :thumbup:
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i knowwwww.
    though honestly. the reason i still havent done anything about the black background is cause ive tried changing the background with several methods, but it never appears on render o.O
    if someone could point me to that, i will do something about it immmeeeeediately;)
    and @air:
    yeah. i totally agree to the eyes part. will fix that in a jiffy
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys. quick question....
    ive been thinking of adding a body to my sculpt and make a full character. but i am sort of confused as to the order of things.
    Cause ive been polypainting and detailing and all that, is it still possible to add a body to my head?
    and if so. what would be the best way to preserve my polypaint and details?
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi all.
    after i chose to add a body, i faced a lot of issues; hence the late update..and ive been a bit lazy..:S
    anyway. i wasnt happy with the projected texture, so i decided to learn how to polypaint a face, and this is the result:
    G3GJZYH.png

FGrb29K.png

xmpmFDn.png

harsh critizism wanted;)
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ported to 3ds max and sss'ified:

MEjUvMQ.jpg?1
    LJYdB4J.jpg?1
    czkFHcM.jpg?1

id love any comments, especially if anyone have any tips to making the skin more realistic.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    your skin looks very yellowish at the moment, to make it more realistic it needs a lot more colour variation, blues, purples, reds and and and beard shadow, blues under the eyes add spots and veins.
    if you want the face really realistic its kinda lot of work...

379467_1355491995_large.jpg

look at this 3d portrait i found theres a lot going on
    small spots, more reds on the nose... how the pores are differently intense around the face
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like where youre going with this, skodone. Though i'm probably not far from hitting a temporary roof for this project, so im not gunning for hyperrealism or anything.
    i will however try my best, working with my texture maps, to get a little more of that detail in. And youre absolutely right about the blue tones. just gotta experiment with the maps to see where it goes:P
    and beard ive been testing with 3ds max hair and fur, along with the eyebrows and hair.
    thank you so much for the feedback :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, you really need to get a sideview ref. front looks pretty good but the neck from the side view looks really freaky.
  • Dr.HeatSync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr.HeatSync polycounter lvl 8
    If we could see some side reference that would be great; the neck and the harsh edges that flows where the head and neck connects seems very wierd; I'm hazarding a guess that it doesn't show up on that particular model either, and would (unless your reference says otherwise) smooth it out to get rid of that harsh edge.

You should probably turn off the symmetry mode on your brush when you feel you've got the base forms down and sculpt in asymmetrical details; it will do wonders for realism.

I really suggest that you do the following: Get an orthographic screenshot of your sculpt from Zbrush and your reference photo, overlay them on top of each other and try to match them up (probably best to scale them so that the eyes or the nose are the same size). Its no perfect method of comparison due to the wonders of perspective in photography, but is a decent indicator of where you're going wrong if you're trying to recreate a likeness especially if you struggle to do this by eye. If you can do this for both the front and side views, so much the better.

SSS doesn't help you until you fix your problems with the head. Just ignore it till you're sure that you've got your head's form and details nailed. I also notice that you've sculpted some high frequency detail as well; this is best avoided until you're sure that your forms are as close as possible to your source. I don't know much about film if thats the direction you're going, but I know that for games definitely that you should create a Subdermal colour map (basically what would be showing up through your skin as a result of light going 'through' the mesh). This is completely secondary to getting the main sculpt right first though.

For your polypainting, I suggest you look up the colour zones of the face. Simply put its about how the face's colour looks in different areas (your chin area will be kinda blueish, mid section reddish as thats where a lot of blood shows up, forehead yellow as thats where the skin's pretty tight up against the skull). As Skodone says, you're also gonna have to paint colour variation in areas based on a lot of context with respect to your reference.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    ahhh nice dr heatsync, that color zones of the face was really what i was looking for

*grab link for myself*
  • Dr.HeatSync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dr.HeatSync polycounter lvl 8
    skodone wrote: »
    ahhh nice dr heatsync, that color zones of the face was really what i was looking for

*grab link for myself*

You're stuffs still right though; every part of the face has some micro-colouring, like the inner corners of the eyes get more purple with a lack of sleep. They're mostly pretty subtle which is why your post and that image was a really good example.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    The ears seems a little swollen, like cauliflower ear. I look forward to seeing your edits to the color. This is pretty good for a first attempt at a realistic face. You'll only get better after this.
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for all feedback! Its definitely helped a lot.
    - And you know how it is when youre so used to the model that you cant see whats wrong anymore. Thats whats happened with the skincolor. I found out that it was imported as "automatic", and not gamma 1.0. So with only that i had a pretty monumental difference for the better.
    I did however go back into the texturing, and i changed the whole skin texture, after the comments.
    -And the reason for the cauliflower ears was because of the vraydisplacementmodifier fattening 'em up a bit.
    - Not that it would matter, as this guy, in the end, will not be anything more than a front view still ;)
    - I feel like i've spent enough time on this model, and its time to move on. And thusly there will be no further update on this guy.

Still do appreciate comments and critiques, so that i can better myself to next time, and beat myself up over everything i shouldve done with this project :P

Render:
    Realisticface_render.png
    Wires:
    Realisticface_wires.png
    AO:
    Realisticface_ao.png