Home Technical Talk

Ergonomics & Modeling - which sofware is best?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

for the past year or so I have been suffering from pain in the wrist and elbow whenever I model for a long time and it's starting to be really unbearable, to the point that I had to almost stop modeling altogether this summer.

There's no way in hell I am quitting 3D over this so I have been trying to figure what specific action is the biggest trigger for my pain and I found that the worst offenders by far are

1) arc rotating

2) using 3d manipulators (gizmos)

So at a very basic level, anything that require to keep pushing a mouse button for prolonged amounts of time while moving my wrist or arm is bad for me.

Once I figured this out, I started to try and find ways to rely less on gizmos and/or try to map rotating to a hotkey instead of a mouse button.

I am a Max user, and I really like it for all its flaws. I use tons of scripts and I customized it very well over the years to suit my needs. I also use splines a lot, and nothing beats Max for that.

But as much as it saddens me, there is very little in the way of what I need for ergonomics in Max. I don't think it's possible to map arc rotate to a single key, it looks like it can only be one key PLUS one mouse button. And I couldn't really figure a way to work without gizmos either.

Recently I gave a shot to Blender again and for what I am looking for it's brilliant:

- You can map arc rotate to just one key. For instance I map it to Spacebar and I don't need to click a mouse button while I'm inspecting my mesh.

-You don't need gizmos at all, you just hit G and then if needed constrain the translation to any axis you like, be it X, Y, Z or a combination of 2.

After modeling for a couple of weeks in Blender, I noticed that I do not actually feel much pain anymore and it's great! But sadly as good as Blender is in its current state it is still not at the level of Max. It has some very annoying bugs and some other quirks that would need me to dabble in Python to solve, and I'm simply not there yet. And scripts are hard to find, and when you find one, chances are it's been abandonned for one release or more, etc. There are plenty of great threads about Blender so I'm not going to make this another one, I am just interested in knowing if I can get another profesional 3D package to work as Blender for these two things - arc rotate = single key and bypass the use of gizmos.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that hugely helped me was modeling with my wacom tablet. Seriously. It feels weird at first but after awhile it feels totally natural and it's mostly pain free.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Try a mouse that reeeeeally fits you well and increase its cursor speed in windows. That might help a bit.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    I don't think it's possible to map arc rotate to a single key
    It is possible, just use autohotkey.
    -You don't need gizmos at all, you just hit G and then if needed constrain the translation to any axis you like, be it X, Y, Z or a combination of 2.
    I think this also should be possible in Max via autohotkey + Max hotkeys or scripts.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    was going to mention autohotkey as well. that should open up some possibilities. :)

but yes, blender is nicer overall in the usability department and more configurable when it comes to input methods. i was able to abandon the mouse in it. hard work tohugh, to dive into it initially and change all that bothers you.

increasing cursor speed - i only had bad experiences with that when i got a 'gamer' mouse after my last intellimouse broke. constantly overshooting the point i wanted to click on was not cool at all. got a numb mouse again and it feels soooo much better. less tantrums -> hardware longevity increases. :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys :)
    One thing that hugely helped me was modeling with my wacom tablet. Seriously. It feels weird at first but after awhile it feels totally natural and it's mostly pain free.

Okay, I am puzzled. Are you entirely modeling on your wacom...? I have one too, I simply cannot ever start to imagine how this can viable on a 3d package. Maybe maya and pie menus...?
    C86G wrote: »
    Try a mouse that reeeeeally fits you well and increase its cursor speed in windows. That might help a bit.

It could be the most confortable mouse in the world, I would still get pain if I need to maintain clicks on it.

Nox wrote: »
    It is possible, just use autohotkey.
    I think this also should be possible in Max via autohotkey + Max hotkeys or scripts.

Now that's interesting but I need to learn a scripting language to do that...? First time I hear about it, been checking out their site but it's lacking practical, beginner-friendly example. Any idea where to start?

Edit: I'm a dumbass, they got a tutorial section :) Thanks for the pointer.
    thomasp wrote: »
    but yes, blender is nicer overall in the usability department and more configurable when it comes to input methods. i was able to abandon the mouse in it. hard work tohugh, to dive into it initially and change all that bothers you.

Definitely. I was checking out Pior's customization thread on Blender Artist and I'm not sure I could bitchslap Blender into working the way I want without becoming a programmer. I don't really have the time to stop and learn Python just for that...
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    thomasp wrote: »
    increasing cursor speed - i only had bad experiences with that when i got a 'gamer' mouse after my last intellimouse broke. constantly overshooting the point i wanted to click on was not cool at all. got a numb mouse again and it feels soooo much better. less tantrums -> hardware longevity increases. :)

Oh yeah... I used a Razer Naga... tried to use... it was insane... I presently use a CM Storm Xornet, I can toggle it between 500, 1000, and 2000 DPI. I Almost never use the 2000 DPI setting (it really slings the cursor across my monitors), I typically use 1000 DPI for my dual monitor desktop use, and I switch to 500 when I'm doing something single monitor, and when I'm playing shooters, set the DPI down low for precision and crank up the sensitivity.

Lower DPI mice can be more precise than higher DPI, basically... DPI is all marketing speak.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I was not talking about precision.
    A faster mouse means a bit less movement of your hand/wrist and that might help a bit. It was just an idea.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G wrote: »
    I was not talking about precision.
    A faster mouse means a bit less movement of your hand/wrist and that might help a bit. It was just an idea.

I didn't mean to make it sound I didn't value your input, sorry. The actual movement is not the worst part it's really having to keep pressing a mouse button.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    No problem : )
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it looks like Autohotkey is a winner. I figured out pretty fast how to use it to arc rotate with a custom key, although I had to jump though a few hoops to get there:

-when running Max in admin mode, it doesn't seem to pick up Send commands at all.

-the following code seemed perfect but for some reason it acts buggy in Max, randomly jumping and jittery in arc rotate mode.

Space:: SendInput, {MButton down}
    Return

Space Up:: SendInput, {MButton up}
    Return

My workaround was to make 2 hotkeys, one to toggle arc rotate on and one to togle it off (in this case ctrl+space):

Space:: SendInput, {MButton down}
    Return

^Space:: SendInput, {MButton up}
    Return

It will work that way but if anyone knows what the issue can be be with my first code snippet please let me know.

Now for Gizmos, I don't even know where to start... Any ideas, Nox?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Mant1k0re wrote: »
    Thank you guys :)

Okay, I am puzzled. Are you entirely modeling on your wacom...? I have one too, I simply cannot ever start to imagine how this can viable on a 3d package. Maybe maya and pie menus...?

I also use a wacom to model. I can use both max and maya with my wacom tablet. The only difference is that I like to set the rotate gizmo to arc, instead of linear, motion. I do use a lot of marking menus/quad menu commands.

I started using my wacom specifically because of carpal tunnel problems. You get used to it.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    I also use a wacom to model. I can use both max and maya with my wacom tablet. The only difference is that I like to set the rotate gizmo to arc, instead of linear, motion. I do use a lot of marking menus/quad menu commands.

I started using my wacom specifically because of carpal tunnel problems. You get used to it.

That's really intriguing. I wonder if you could share a little bit more about your hotkey setup and some general tips?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    That's really intriguing. I wonder if you could share a little bit more about your hotkey setup and some general tips?

-Use the wacom control panel to setup profiles for max/maya/photoshop that remap the pen buttons to use all three mouse clicks (left, middle, right)

-Put as many commands as you can in the Quad menus

- set your rotate gizmo to 'arc rotate' (I mentioned this)

- I still put my left hand on the keyboard so my actual keyboard shortcuts haven't changed

From an ergonomics advantage the big difference is the angle of your wrist when you're holding the pen. This is great for carpal tunnel. It's also easier to hit the pen buttons if you've got small hands which is the problem with a lot of mice.
  • Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, I model using my tablet too. Pen tip is left click, bottom button is middle mouse, and top button is right mouse. Got a logitech g13 to the left of it so my hands aren't like, at weird places compared to each other.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I have gotten a lot of negative flak from friends n family on how tacky holistic solutions are...
    But when it comes to wrist pain and anything coming close to carpal suffering I swear by the magnetic bracelets. Usually an overnight fix for me. ( chances are u have a friend or family member that already has one n u can borrow to test? )
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It feels natural after a while. I started using exclusively Intuos 2 for all my Maya task since 2009 and never looked back. Only need to do some click on mouse on rare occasions. Today I'm using Bamboo Pen with Modo and it's pretty pain-free as well. My left hand is still placed on keyboard by the way.

1 of my colleague is using huge size Intuos 4 with Houdini on CentOS. He got carpal syndrome a few years ago and he quit using mouse altogether since then.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the input guys, I guess I didn't undestand that you were still using keyboards with your tablets - which means your wacom is tethered to your desktop. I like using my tablet to get way from my desktop and work while sitting on my couch. Still I guess I could give it a go. How is Modo working out for you with that setup DIrewolf? I've been eyeing it closely since the release of 901 and mayube I could give indie a spin.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Here is ahk code, first part will make Max rotate viewport while you hold S key (vk53). But make sure to remove all default hotkeys for this button or viewport will go crazy.

Second one binds left mouse click to G key, so you can use it instead of clicking. You also need to bind axis constraints to some keys, e.g.: x, y, z. It should work somewhat similar to Blender.

~vk53::
    SendInput {Blind}{Alt down}{MButton down}
    KeyWait vk53
    SendInput {Blind}{Alt up}{MButton up}
    return

~G::
    SendInput {Blind}{LButton down}
    KeyWait G
    SendInput {Blind}{LButton up}
    return

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox wrote: »
    Here is ahk code, first part will make Max rotate viewport while you hold S key (vk53). But make sure to remove all default hotkeys for this button or viewport will go crazy.

Second one binds left mouse click to G key, so you can use it instead of clicking. You also need to bind axis constraints to some keys, e.g.: x, y, z. It should work somewhat similar to Blender.

~vk53::
    SendInput {Blind}{Alt down}{MButton down}
    KeyWait vk53
    SendInput {Blind}{Alt up}{MButton up}
    return

~G::
    SendInput {Blind}{LButton down}
    KeyWait G
    SendInput {Blind}{LButton up}
    return

Thank you Nox, I'll give it a spin tonight :)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    claydough wrote: »
    I have gotten a lot of negative flak from friends n family on how tacky holistic solutions are...
    But when it comes to wrist pain and anything coming close to carpal suffering I swear by the magnetic bracelets. Usually an overnight fix for me. ( chances are u have a friend or family member that already has one n u can borrow to test? )

Hey a wacom runs on magnetism!

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/tablets/wacom-tablets1.htm

You should just use a wacom instead. You'll be holding your hand next to magnets all day.

Also: I use my wacom on the couch too - I have a laptop that goes on a bed table with my wacom next to it.
  • daleziemianski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been using a mouse for a quarter of a century now. My remedy for carpal tunnel is to wiggle your fingers for a good five minutes or more a day, like you're playing a banjo, especially right after or while working.