Home Technical Talk

Rim Light in Zbrush?

Farina
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Farina polycounter lvl 4
Hello guys

im clicking all the interface around the lightcap slot in zbrush, to create a RIM Light. A background light for my character. Until now, i dont know how to make a light behind my character. zbrush r7

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    two suggestions

- when using a matcap material you can edit it's material texture. just hover over it, screengrab, edit in photoshop and paint in a rimlight and import back into zbrush.

- when using lights from the light palette then turn on a lightbulb and shift- or alt-click into the sphere embedded in the palette to switch light position from front to back. this lighting model does not work with matcap materials though.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    When you're dragging the light's dot to aim it on the lightcap sphere, drag it off the sphere into one of the corners (or at least place it right along the edge of the sphere if you want a bit more direction to it).

If you're not seeing the result clearly on the model then make sure you're using a basic material (not a matcap), and that the normal light's intensity isn't drowning it out.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    There are two kinds of shaders in zBrush. Matcaps, and Materials.

Matcaps have complex lighting and color baked into it, and as a result generally look nicer.

Materials look a lot more basic, but you can change the lights, and material settings like spec, reflectivity, etc.

If you want to alter the lighting you will need to use a Material, not a MatCap.
  • Farina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farina polycounter lvl 4
    thank you so much guys for the help and the tipps!

But something dont want to work. I can change the light, to the background in the standart light.

But, at the lighcap, i cant change the light to the back, whatever i click.

The reason i want to do this is, that i want to have controll over my light, so that why i use the lighcap and turn off, the standart light

www.directupload.net/file/d/4082/cdbxcla6_jpg
    cdbxcla6_jpg.htm