Home General Discussion

3ds Max 2016 Extension1 Brings GameExporter, Geodesic Voxel Skinning

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Minato polycounter lvl 5
They are doing a great job with Max recently, this Extension wasn't an exception either, Max has finally got it's own GameExporter as well as Geodesic Voxel Skinning(which if you have experienced before, know what a time saver it is), along with a host of other features including the TextPlus tool for motion graphics(seems to be more than another text tool), and a lot of upgrades to MCG including MCG Animation Controllers and MCG Bullet Physics library!

See the full list of additions Here

[vv]135685554[/vv]

[vv]135685481[/vv]

[vv]135685708[/vv]

[vv]135870585[/vv]

Replies

• Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Finally, bone weighting is the single worst thing I've ever done. Seeing that get a revamp made my day.

Is this still like 7 times as much per month as Maya LT?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i find skinning pretty simple as it is. just skin up a really lowpoly proxy character and transfer to your actual character mesh via skinwrap? if need be, do it in multiple steps with increasingly more refined proxies. alter proxies to fit any new characters. rinse, repeat, go home on time. or am i missing something?

from the looks of this video you will need to tweak the results from this new approach just like you would without it. not that i'm complaining about max receiving improvements and new features, mind. :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Fbx getting development, physical shaders in the viewport. Have to try out the skinning, looks like it could be handy for trouble spots although with lowpoly skinning is pretty much a breeze already like thomasp says.

Interesting stuff.
  • reanimate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reanimate polycounter lvl 10
    thomasp wrote: »
    i find skinning pretty simple as it is. just skin up a really lowpoly proxy character and transfer to your actual character mesh via skinwrap? if need be, do it in multiple steps with increasingly more refined proxies. alter proxies to fit any new characters. rinse, repeat, go home on time. or am i missing something?

from the looks of this video you will need to tweak the results from this new approach just like you would without it. not that i'm complaining about max receiving improvements and new features, mind. :)
    Yeap that's the fastest way to do skinning in 3ds without third party plugins, i've been using the same technique for a while, and it's really time saver :)
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    if the GVS is anything like in Maya, then its a good thing. What it does it shortcut the time it takes to get a good initial and skin bind that is good enough to do tests with. Certainly in Maya, you'd have to do some basic cleanup to have the initial bind look half decent. GVS can get you a good 80-90% there.

Another thing that GVS does (in Maya anyway), is that it doesn't mind 'broken' meshes, so non-manifold geometry, duplicate verts or edges. So if you can to do a quick test bind on the geometry that's WIP, without having clean it up.
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
    reanimate wrote: »
    Yeap that's the fastest way to do skinning in 3ds without third party plugins, i've been using the same technique for a while, and it's really time saver :)

i didnt know about this technique, can you post some link to some tutorial for this?

And how do yoi create your low poly mesh to be able to do it all quickly? multired modifier in 3ds max?
  • reanimate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reanimate polycounter lvl 10
    Jonathan85 wrote: »
    i didnt know about this technique, can you post some link to some tutorial for this?

And how do yoi create your low poly mesh to be able to do it all quickly? multired modifier in 3ds max?

Nothing special about the proxy mesh, usually i use a premade proxy mesh and adjust it to fit the actual mesh.
    - Skin the proxy mesh
    - apply turbosmooth to the proxy mesh (if you want to) ,
    - add skin wrap modifier to the actual mesh
    - select the proxy mesh as skin wrapper/deformer or whatever it was called :p
    And you just need to adjust the settings and choose deformation engine that you think have better result, i often get better result with face deformation (sometimes)