Home Technical Talk

HandShoe Mouse

voronov.art
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
voronov.art polycounter lvl 10
www.handshoemouse.com

Does anyone have experience using this device? Last several months I notice that if I work too much in Max my wrist slowly starts to hurt. If I keep working then the pain growing and feels like someone is trying to insert a rusty nail in my wrist. So, if this is a starting of carpal syndrome I want to prevent this from become a disease.

If anyone here have same problem and tried to use this mouse, please share your opinion.

2xpSqOp.jpg?1

Replies

• maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    I am actually suffering of the same condition, if anybody has any recommendations on that mouse or something to do to make it go away it would be great.
    I am actually doing some stretching excersisses with my wrist and fingers when it starts to hurt and it seems to help a bit
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well such a mouse might help to reduce the pain somewhat but like an aeron does not cure back pain, this will not be the magical solution.

you better go see a doctor as a first step and have your condition examined. this is nothing to be taken lightly, i know people who thrashed their hands in rather permanent fashion in their 20's from mouse over-use.
  • voronov.art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    voronov.art polycounter lvl 10
    maxivz wrote: »
    I am actually doing some stretching excersisses with my wrist and fingers when it starts to hurt and it seems to help a bit

This helps me too, but the effect does not last long. I also noticed that the pain almost disappears if I turn hand like this and that's why I started to google about vertical mouses:
    VM4-skeletons-sm1.jpg

I plan to visit doctor soon but I wonder if someone had the same wrist problems and could give some advice.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I've used mice like these before and they increased pain for me. The difference was that all mouse movement has to be arm movement with big mice like these. Normally, you can do small movements with small shifts of your hand and you don't have to pick up your and and arm. With big mice that are tilted like these, you have to use more big fatiguing movements.

Too small, and the mouse uses all finger movement which fatigues the forearm. Too big and it hurts everything. I find a medium sized mouse works best, which for me is a Intellimouse Explorer or Logitech G size. I also learned to use my left hand for non-critical tasks like browsing, and just leave a second mouse plugged in on that side to give my right arm a rest.

Ultimately, rest and exercise are the only reliable things you can do.
  • Arahnoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arahnoid polycounter lvl 13
    I had the same problems with my right hand. 5 years ago I come to the work desk sit down and realized what I can not hold the mouse with right hand, pain in the wrist was horrible. So first I did changed the mouse to more ergonomic one. I got Logitech MX620 and in a few days my hand was a lot better, after few weeks I almost forgot what I have problems.

Nowadays I would recommend G700S, I use it and it is great because of additional buttons and many other features. I added middle mouse button click to one of the side buttons and it makes navigation in 3d Max much easier. Clicking on middle mouse button while working in 3d Max i guess is one of the hardest repetitive action what hurting you hand.

I would recommend to install Workrave is great for profilactic of tunnel syndrome. Simple program what alerts you to make a short pause.

Also a good idea is to learn 3d Max UI, find features what may help you to make the same with less mouse clicks and of course learning shortcuts to give more work to your left hand.