Home Technical Talk

Maya Lag with high polycount

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
Hi
I was wondering if anyone can tell me if installing maya on an SSD and having the project files loaded on it will help when i import and use very high poly meshes from ZBrush. When i load anything over about 300k polys it starts to lag and at 1.5million it takes about 10 seconds to even select an item.

I am just courious if that might fix the issue, or maybe a change in ram or a new GPU as i am running a 680gtx atm and have 16gb of ram.

Thank you in advance

Replies

• Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    That's just Maya, if you want to reduce selection lag a bit you need faster CPU or split mesh into smaller pieces.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
    Nox wrote: »
    That's just Maya, if you want to reduce selection lag a bit you need faster CPU or split mesh into smaller pieces.

Are you sure CPU would play a part? as i am running one of last years high end cpu. Wouldnt it make sense that maya is not caching the models which is causing the lag instead?
  • cromadbomber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cromadbomber polycounter lvl 10
    Try using viewport 2.0. It is mostly using GPU.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well i'm no maya nut but generally when the models/textures are in the scene they are loaded into RAM fully, not cached from disk. no way around some lag other than using more powerful hardware or lower res assets. 300k+ visible in the viewport in a real world scenario (textures, lighting...) and interacting with objects does not sound too bad to me from a performance POV.
    3d apps can usually go into the millions but then you are talking caching to the GPU which will not solve the lag when interacting.

you better look at how to improve your workflow by only making visible the objects you really require at that point, breaking up geometry and hiding unneeded parts, working with lower resolution stand-in models, etc.
    zbrush is really good at creating those, too. look into decimation master.