Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA 2] - Skeleton King - Runeseeker

I am working with a friend on a Norse and Celtic inspired design for Skeleton King.

Really not sure what to do for the shoulder and arm yet; working on that now.

Might also add some dirt/moss on it so it looks like he really found this stuff in a burial mound.

08iOQ.jpg

Replies

• Gajun
    I really love the concept, especially the cape. The sword is a bit bland but it fits. GL!
  • plundh
    Started blocking in the things we like while we figure out the other stuff:

OQMKl.jpg

Has anyone been able to replace SK's items in the test client? I've been trying to, but his items just disappear.

I noticed the has material files named "masks1" and "masks2", but also one simply called "skeleton_king_cloak_masks.vtf". What is that one?

@Gajun: Thanks. Good point about the sword. It could definitely be spiced up a bit.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Make sure you use the correct scale, and you have to export all the bones, not just your model. Looking at your screenshot and your reference planes, it looks like you're scale is also off. (that is if you haven't changed the normal size refernce planes)

Change your system units to cm, and reimport the body (fbx) as reference. You can use .fbx files to import into the client. That's a lot easier. Scale your model at the correct size and before skinning it, use a xform modifier. That should do the trick!
  • plundh
    Hmm. My units are cm, and the he's huge no matter how I import him. It actually displays correctly in the Workshop submission preview. Wouldn't that suggest there isn't a scale/binding problem? It's only when I swap the files in the test client, so I can have him wear all the items at the same time, that it doesn't work.

Swapping the textures work, but as soon as i swap the model it disappears.

EDIT: The workshop also outputs .dmx and .qc files. Should I put those somewhere?

EDIT2: Somebody in another thread mentioned you actually have to recompile the mdl using the .qc so you can change the relative paths. Can anybody outline how to do this, or is there an easier way to get all the items in the game at the same time?
  • plundh
    Okay, managed to recompile using Wyk's tutorial, but now the textures won't show up.

Any guesses?

I used the .vmt from the workshop compiler and changed the file paths.

EDIT: Even with the original textures it shows up like this, so it's gotta be something to do with the model compile?

DeU6D.jpg
  • plundh
    Solved the technical problem by changing the texture paths in the .mdl. Works now! Back to design:

TLVVr.jpg

We didn't have good ideas for the pauldron. So building on our Norse theme, I got the idea of using Odin's ravens Hugin and Munin as a design element - one being the cape, the other the pauldron, and each furnishing different materials and personalities.

I'm not sure what this means lore-wise. It could imply that SK is a form of Odin (as he is known to shape-shift), or that he murdered Odin's pet birds and put them on as armor. Probably shouldn't over-think it.

We also realized that we had to exaggerate the shapes more to compete with the other over the top items and heroes in the game. This time we put it up to 11, and could probably tone it back a teeny bit in the end. He looks more menacing now.

zr889.jpg
    M6b9p.jpg
    1MroT.jpg

Suggestions and critiques are very welcome.
  • plundh
    Small update. Brought stuff into Zbrush and started detailing on some of the parts, and did one last paint-over to finalize the design.juDHN.jpg
  • plundh
    Thanks to the two week extension, we might actually finish this on time! Everything is pretty slow for me, since this is my first time modeling/texturing anything, but now I had more time to learn things the right way.

We redesigned the sword and made most of the geo, and almost everything sculpted and baked. Now we're trying to figure out the colors, which are all over the place at the moment. The trickiest part is not deviating too much from the original.

(disregard maya viewport errors)
    2012-11-30_0209.png

2012-11-30_0220.png

2012-11-29_0138.png
  • plundh
    Got the cape skinned decently. Playing with the material masks now, while my partner is working out a color scheme and some texture detail.

2012-11-30_1427.png

2012-11-30_1431.png
  • plundh
    2012-12-01_1640.png

I still need to tone down his saturation and play with the contrast overall, but what I'm really uncertain about right now is whether the dark blue cape is too much of a departure from his original color scheme. My gut tells me it might be, but I like the blue better aesthetically.

Anyone care to chime in on this?
  • Pemaktitkis
    Offline / Send Message
    Pemaktitkis polycounter lvl 7
    i think this kind of blue is pretty fitting
    great and unique-looking set dude! :)
  • plundh
    Thanks! Yea we ended up going with the blue. The rest will be dark/yellow/red so hopefully it will be fine.

Been learning more of how to work Zbrush, so I sculpted a new and improved helmet. 95% finished with textures - playing with masks now - and will post final images tomorrow after some polish.

2012-12-02_2150.png2012-12-03_0112.png
    2012-12-03_0150.png
  • plundh
  • Naso
    Man oh man, this set is looking so sawg, good job man. Everyone in there mother will want that cape when this is in game :D
  • Gareth_Thomas
    OMW I really dig this set. So refreshing to see something different. And it looks better in-game than in the presentation shot. That's not saying your presentation shot looks bad, rather that the items in-game just look awesome! If I had to make one crit it would be that the blade of the sword is a bit too short but that's probably how you wanted it. Great job!! :D
  • cakeypigdog
    I love this set, cracking job!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Pretty awesome, came out good!
  • plundh
    Thanks guys! I'm happy you like it. We definitely learned a ton.

Good point about the blade, I might adjust it depending on what valve's policy is on changes after contest submission.