Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3.6] SPACESHIP Interior

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
rosu.kristof polycounter lvl 4
UPDATE #4

It's finally finished! (for now, I might add to it next semester)

Here's the flythrough:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75XNk8T2XCI"]Showreel - 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

The lighting is a bit buggy in the beginning as my 3 year old laptop is struggling with rendering this in 4k.

High resolution renders available on my website: http://cargocollective.com/kristof/The-Generation-Ship

UPDATE #3

nps_u3_01.jpg
nps_u3_03.jpg
nps_u3_06.jpg
nps_u3_10.jpg

Hi! This is the first time I'm posting on PC so don't bite :)

For one of my final year projects I decided to do a spaceship interior. I wanted to make it believable, with as few hexagons and random scifi bits and panels as possible.

My progress so far are some modular hallway pieces and a fancy bar table; I'd really appreciate some advice/opinions on how to improve what I have or what I should do differently with future assets. I have a large common area with a forest/park and a sunroof, living quarters, a lab, and a hangar with a small maintenance craft in it planned.

Here are the pictures:

hallway05.jpg

Update

hallway08.jpg

dooranim.gif

Replies

• HYBRIDGAMERGUY
    Offline / Send Message
    HYBRIDGAMERGUY polycounter lvl 8
    Very impressive. PBR?
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    This is super nice, I can't wait to see more, keep going!
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! A lot more to come hopefully. Yes, it's pbr.
  • mats effect
    Impressive I like the plants growing its a nice touch. Are you following a concept or anything? Could you post some of your texture maps at some point too wouldn't mind seeing them :)
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Looks nice :D Plants in the walls and under the floor works great imo!

Nice looking table, but I'm not a big fan of the bolts in the center. It looks slick and the bolts break this aspect for me. Maybe just a cap that hide the bolt underside?

Maybe breaking the color can improve the scene a little? For the moment it's all white and black. Maybe with a few maintenance panels with a little color on it, or line on floors/wall to guide people.

Keep it up, I'll follow the thread!
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Love the scene... Ferns + Spaceships= always wins hehehe
    Heres my critic:
    The vegetation parts are realli nice, i love how the integrate with the sci fi
    Watchout the scale of some of the elements you got, like the rubber floor or the one in the chair.
    Work a little bit more the materials to look a little bit more interesting, consider more dripping, rust or steamed surfaces... also smoothness on metals are too strong in some areas...
    I think the scene got some nice potentital on it, its just about polishing a little bit, specially mats and textures. Keep it up, nice work!
  • Jeffrotull
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    You've done a great job on this so far. Can I ask what the text on the table is though? It looks backwards ;) haha (space age text)
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Very useful advice.

@mats effect: The concept's all in my head, it's too tedious to put it on paper.

@CougarJo: I'll change the tablea bit, I wasn't happy with it either. Initially I thought even the white, green, black + bare metal color scheme with the orange and blue tinted lights would be too much. I'm not so sure now but I'm not convinced that red/yellow painted surfaces would work very well with the rest. Maybe the red/green glows on the doors will be enough.

@_Kratos_: Thanks for the detailed critique. The scale of the rubber bits is realistic (at least according to quixel suite), but it could cause some problems with moire so I'll look into it a bit more. I want to avoid making the ship abandoned or badly maintained; maybe some dusty footsteps on the rubber and some leaves on the floor?

@Jeffrotull: The text is the menu. It isn't backwards, just from one of those hipster bistros.

Here's one of the textures. There's a bit of baked ao in the spec as Cryengine relies solely on a fancy ssao algorithm to replace the ao maps and fails miserably sometimes.

table_textures.jpg
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    nice looking vegetation and the whole scene looks great but why there is an open passage to space? is there any reason not to hide it behind glass or something.
  • e-freak
    wow, this looks fantastic! great work :)
  • DWalker
    The text - both on the shutters & the table - might look better if they were emissive. The all-white text is a bit dull; even today, most menus are bright, colorful things with pretty pictures to tempt people to spend more. This is also true for the warning on the window - amber or red would make more sense for a warning.

You might want to give the light a slightly bluish tint.
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update: I added a door and adjusted some of the shaders based on the feedback I got. I also managed to figure out animation in ce, but then it broke, never to work again.

hallway06.jpg
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update before I move on to work on the next area of the ship:

hallway08.jpg
    hallway09.jpg
    hallway10.jpg

dooranim.gif
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on the next area of the ship:

dome_wip_02.jpg
    dome_wip_01.jpg
  • jovcem
    Offline / Send Message
    jovcem polycounter lvl 9
  • Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    My opinion on the veggies and it's more of a nitpick but I think they would look better if you varied the colours on them, like different levels of saturations, maybe some slight colour variations because they all appear to be the same exact shade of green.
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking really cool and I really like the materials. One small thing is the rotating green loading circle by the doors, they look a bit odd just floating on the wall/doorframe. Maybe replace them with a more visible light/panel/LEDs or maybe more of a holographic symbol? Possibly have them on the doors rather than on the side, it makes more sense from a UX point of view to have them right in front of you when you walk towards the door so you can easily tell if it's locked or not.

Another thing is the metals are all quite clean, especially the panels with holes. Maybe add a very subtle layer of dust here and there? I know you don't want it to be grimey and abandoned looking but someone would have to do some serious polishing to get all the metal bits to be that shiny ;)

That said, it's a great looking scene already and the subtle touches like the dusty footsteps on the floor are really cool
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel wrote: »
    This is looking really cool and I really like the materials. One small thing is the rotating green loading circle by the doors, they look a bit odd just floating on the wall/doorframe. Maybe replace them with a more visible light/panel/LEDs or maybe more of a holographic symbol? Possibly have them on the doors rather than on the side, it makes more sense from a UX point of view to have them right in front of you when you walk towards the door so you can easily tell if it's locked or not.

Another thing is the metals are all quite clean, especially the panels with holes. Maybe add a very subtle layer of dust here and there? I know you don't want it to be grimey and abandoned looking but someone would have to do some serious polishing to get all the metal bits to be that shiny ;)

That said, it's a great looking scene already and the subtle touches like the dusty footsteps on the floor are really cool

Thanks for the detailed advice! One of the initial ideas behind the design was that any surface on the ship can be used to display information - there would be no need for any screens, panels or holograms.

The circles are on the side because I have yet to figure out how to sync them to the door animation. Probably I'll just replace them with geometry decals when I get access to the single pc where the animation export from maya is not buggy :)

I'll have to do something about the metals, nobody likes them, all for different reasons...

The next area (the big circular room) however will have a bit more wear, moss and mould on the walls as it will be a very humid area with dense vegetation.

@Swarm22 I was going to replace the vegetation texture, then I forgot. It will be in the next update.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. Got bored so I just did a few small adjustments.

I think the rubber floor texture needs some sort of noticeable texture on it. RIght now, the floor feels very flat. Maybe some sort of grip or something? I See you have a bit going on now but more would be neat.

95cRfm4.jpg
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the detailed advice! One of the initial ideas behind the design was that any surface on the ship can be used to display information - there would be no need for any screens, panels or holograms.

While this is a nice idea, I think it doesn't read quite as well in a static image. It would work fantastically in an animation if you could show a character touching a surface and having information displayed at their fingertips. Maybe make a specific material that works as a display? Instead of having a traiditional screen it could be a white, marble like surface with heavy sss or some other interesting material that contrasts with the surrounding surfaces. Just to show that here is something different?
    I'll have to do something about the metals, nobody likes them, all for different reasons...

I like them, they're just a bit too uniform I think. They're very clean, all over. In real life metal never stays that clean for long, even if it's cleaned regularly. You'll get dust/grime buildup in corners, smudges, maybe the odd scratch when they had to move some equpiment. If you're struggling with what to do, imagine working in that space as a cleaner or what would happen when they had to move one of the aquaponic units from one end of the ship to the other. Imagine living in there, what kind of knocks would the walls take etc. What would it look like if someone in a dirty coverall was leaning against the wall and then walked off?
    The next area (the big circular room) however will have a bit more wear, moss and mould on the walls as it will be a very humid area with dense vegetation.

I think you could probably add very faint condensation to the metals/walls around the vegetation in the corridor too. There's already some in there and it looks great but it's very localized, in the case of the open plant section it's only right below the plants. Humidity would go everywhere so you could have a faint sheen from water above and to the sides too. Maybe some water drops on the inside of the glass floor?

Just to clarify, I don't want to see the metal all dirtied up, the struts for the dome section (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4963103/nps/dome_wip_01.jpg) is too dirty for the corridor but probably perfect for the large domed area so maybe something inbetween that and what you have now could work?

Minor nitpick: the area where the pipes are looks too bright, almost looks like the grate isn't casting shadows.
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the awesome feedback! Here are some changes based on them and more progress:

fb_02.PNG
    fb_00.jpg
    fb_01.PNG

Vegetation is more colorful now. Maybe some flowers later on, or in the next area.

@beefaroni: The rubber was already quite detailed. I tried some changes (like the diamond pattern), but it wasn't working very well with the rest of the design. Maybe I'll have another go at it if I have some time left before the deadline.

@urgaffel:

I added some dust to the metals, it should make them a bit more real.

Water drops on the inside of the glass? This is a game engine, not an unbiased path tracer :) It probably can be done to be honest, but I have no idea how. Multiple layers of the fancy glass shader don't seem to work at all in Cryengine. And I'm already running into performance issues on my 3 year old laptop with the multiple layers of transparency and overlapping shadows.

I plan to add some animated text decals (welcome to the ship, directions, animated arrows, etc.) for the final flythrough video which will hopefully make the concept with the screens more apparent. Something on the windows that dynamically points out stars and planets would also be nice; way over my head though...
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Now we're talking :D I like the subtle scratches and smudges you added, they make it more believeable.

As for water droplets, I was thinking a plane with normalmapped beads on it, or if you can, use the regular glass material on the corridor side and a glass material with fake droplets on the "bottom", the side closest to the vegeatation. I've never used CryEngine so I don't know how far you can push multi materials or if you can have several layers of glass without it having a hissy fit :)
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    A long overdue update:

nps_u3_01.jpg
    nps_u3_02.jpg
    nps_u3_03.jpg
    nps_u3_04.jpg
    nps_u3_05.jpg
    nps_u3_06.jpg
    nps_u3_07.jpg
    nps_u3_08.jpg
    nps_u3_09.jpg
    nps_u3_10.jpg
  • WesleyArthur
    Wow that's some really impressive foliage. It's not something that I'm particularly good at, so I'm in awe!

Not much to crit unfortunately (or fortunately!) but I think it could do with more lighting variation to create a few secondary points of interest, and get more colour variation in there too.

Great work!
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that's some really impressive foliage. It's not something that I'm particularly good at, so I'm in awe!

Not much to crit unfortunately (or fortunately!) but I think it could do with more lighting variation to create a few secondary points of interest, and get more colour variation in there too.

Great work!

Thanks! In my experience, you can improve foliage just by placing a lot more of it.
  • WesleyArthur
    That's true, more dense foliage always looks much more interesting. Harder to spot repeating clusters too, I imagine.
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    It's finally finished! (for now, I might add to it next semester)

Here's the flythrough:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75XNk8T2XCI"]Showreel - 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

The lighting is a bit buggy in the beginning as my 3 year old laptop is struggling with rendering this in 4k.

High resolution renders available on my website: http://cargocollective.com/kristof/The-Generation-Ship
  • dzibarik
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    congrats, looking fantastic
  • lucashug
    Offline / Send Message
    lucashug polycounter lvl 6
    Nice!!! really good idea and it's beautiful!!!
    I love it!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really cool, good work man!
  • e-freak
    this is just awe inspiring! fantastic execution and such great details (like the dusty footprints and how they change the materials).

awesome job!
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    Really good dude. A very well rounded scene. That veg is sweet looks especially nice in contrast to the grey walls and stuff. Well done!
  • rosu.kristof
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Here's a not very detailed or well made breakdown with some renders included: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4963103/nps/breakdown.pptx