Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC 2009 'END GAME' | Butter Pants | 3D

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Looks very Assassin's Creed, nice :)

I'm guessing the clumps on the ground are meant to be snow? For me, they don't seem to work. Maybe because there's no specular hits off it - something just doesn't feel right about it.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    @Vassago - Thanks. We'll try and address this for the final shots once the lighting is situated.

Cheers!
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're just about ready to post some new scene stuff. Just a few tweaks left. In the mean time, I've begun to re-work the foreground walls (again, yes). More cracks, photosource, and some better blending where the wood meets the wall is on the list. Some more silhouette addition in the low are coming too. Crits welcome.

wallprogress.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    This is really looking great ! Just wondering if you guys made high poly for the flags ?
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yar, highpoly was done in zbrush.
  • albino_goldfish
    hmm, I wouldnt have thought to use zbrush for a flag..then again I dont think ive ever made a flag...now I know
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, I wouldnt have thought to use zbrush for a flag..then again I dont think ive ever made a flag...now I know
    Once you've got a good workflow for getting in and out of Zbrush, doing things like a flag, or even smaller, are quite quick. A lot of the stuff we are doing we quickly sculpt in Zbrush then export and bake in max.
  • albino_goldfish
    gamedev wrote: »
    ....then export and bake in max.

im still figuring out how to bake high polys onto low polys in max(as in I havent tried it yet) i usually just generate the normal map out of Zbrush. Do you do a bake because of preference or is there a significant bonus to simply generating out of Zbrush?
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @albino_goldfish - It's a work flow preference for me. I don't like going back and forth making changes and I've used the bake tools in max for so long I know what I'll get consistently. It also means I can bake sculpted and non-sculpted bits at the same time in max and get my normal, ao, and mask maps.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uber nerd, I know, but I just got Swarm setup on all my PC's at home and now Lightmass is baking w/ 12 cores! AWESOME!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so this is where we are at heading into the weekend. The lighting, post and detail bits are in flux and are what we'll be focusing on all weekend. Our second shot will be complete soon and posted for feedback.

Please please please, tear this $hit apart. We need tough crits to tighten this up into a solid entry!

3daysleft2.jpg
  • Chrisis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chrisis polycounter lvl 10
    Looks amazing indeed! Looks like a painting (in a really really good way)!

The wall on the left, tough... it's taking a good part of your image, but in reality is just a plain wall.. I guess you're going to do sth more interesting there, right? Perhaps some flags/ropes hanging on those poles (which will also hide the fact it is a mirrored version of the one on the left).. Also, there is something about the scale of the stones, they were better in post #105, imo, but that's really not a big of an issue, just a pref. I was also liking that subscattering on the cloth, even the tiny rays. They are barely noticeable now.

Again, really good job on this, definitely among the top.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    If it's not too late to make a suggestion, I'd make those wooden posts a bit larger to hide the fact they are coming out of the rock, just match them up a little better in your viewport to the bottom of the rock brick base

But that's really nitpicky, looks awesome! Good luck!
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    I think it is too warm overall. The ground doesnt seem very snowy, more like sandy... or sandish, whatever, i am not an englishman. Snow really likes blue shadows!
    I would have loved to see a city behind those archways. The eyes are led towards the background but I can't find nothing there. Ya... donnow, should have sorted my thoughts before writing along...
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    No no no, I think you guys are pushing in the right direction, don't add mindless clutter that creates confusion in the piece or disconnects visual flow. The foreground is excellent, and the wall detail looks fantastic. The only thing I would suggest is perhaps using decals to blend the areas where the wooden beams extrude out of the wall.

The banners hanging from the top in the foreground are identical and the right hand banner clips visually with the midground arch elements. Perhaps cut it up a bit towards an upward angle?

The Warm lighting is good, but with snow and clear skies, I suggest pushing some of the blue "bounce" values up a tad.

I like Killingpeoples idea of adding some foliage to the left to blend the wall and snow.

All in all though its inspiring work and clearly ace, I hope my crits raise some ideas and proves helpful. Good luck guys.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Stuff falling from the sky!? Say it ain't so! :D

Smart-ass remark out of the way, there's a recurring theme amongst our entries this year which is concerning. I would love to see something more unique for the background, other than shit crashing to the planet. Both for my own selfish reasons, but also to allow your scene to stand out amongst the crowd. Perhaps a proper weather effect that screams 'End Game' and not meteors or whatever those are?

Thunderstorm, tornado, etc..
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tyler,

nice entry. That red post is reaalllyyy saturated, tone that down. And I agree to push the blue in the scene overall to give it that 'cold' feeling *shivers*
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    For the sake or argument, I actually love the saturation on the red when its compared to the rest of the environment. The red & white values tie it together, almost gives it an Assassin's Creed 1 vibe.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! We will address some of the issues today, and we have some ideas for the second shot which we will start on tonight.

-Snight
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »

Smart-ass remark out of the way, there's a recurring theme amongst our entries this year which is concerning. I would love to see something more unique for the background, other than shit crashing to the planet. Both for my own selfish reasons, but also to allow your scene to stand out amongst the crowd. Perhaps a proper weather effect that screams 'End Game' and not meteors or whatever those are?

Considering the above statement I thought of doing a quick comp/over for a possible disaster change idea. The following is a supercell.
    Supercell_Thunderstorm.jpg

Here is the comp over I did, obviously the lack of color correction is an issue but it'll serve to present the idea.

3daysleft2supercellidea.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Just a couple minor nitpicks here.

Scene looks great, but a bit of texture repetition is bothering me. All 4 red posts have the same texture repeated with the same tiling and position. You could duplicate the mat and offset the tiling and position just a smidge to fix that up and apply each unique material to each post.

Same with the two flag up top, Maybe adjust the opacity mask % for one to change up the tears a bit and flip it horizontally. Maybe even try tiling the opacity mask by 1.5 along the U direction to give it a really unique bottem tear.

Lookin' good guys, i'm sure whatever you decide to do with the sky it'll be great.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Vonklaus' paintover + wind in your scene = win.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    http://www.tylerwanlass.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/3daysleft2.jpg

i think this one is pretty awesome , altho you lost the contrast you had with the lightning, sunlight plus the red tint . but thats just me , this is fucking solid :D
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback! As for the giant vortex storm thing, I really think its a great idea, but not sure we'll go that route this late in the comp. We'll discuss it tonight after work and see.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Just do it in your sky texture and call it a day. Easy shit!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, tons of great feedback, you really stepped it up and we appreciate it!

@killingpeople - lots of great details you added that we'll certainly incorporate into the scene. Thanks for taking the time to do a paintover.

Back to work!
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, whatever you decide to do, this is one of my favorite entries and I am sure you will do well!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    adam wrote: »

I really like the meteors in the background it really makes the scene pop!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, just a quick hokey paintover for some ideas.

I felt like the background could maybe be a little darker. When a huge meteor shower like this hits, I would expect there to be plenty of dust and fallout already in areas in the distance. If this were a "get out of dodge while the rain is fallin" sort of thing, you might see darker dust clouds in the distance, and perhaps the currently falling meteors are "cutting" through the dust as they fall. Just an idea.

The pots along the top archway don't feel lit well enough to stand out.

Some more decals or projectors with grimy "whats-its" down the sides of the archway would be expected if it supported buildings and people. Lots more runnoff might stand out, especially on a lighter colored surface like these.

You have called out the boards jutting out from the rock as something that needs to be fixed. Definitely agree there.

The red boards to me should be segmented more as well. That would have to be one badass tree to get a perfect 200 foot tall straight cut board out of.

I felt like the foreground props could be a little bigger and closer, for scale and to add interest to the front left of the scene.

I upped the scale of the fountain by a bit as well and it felt more grand in my mind. It might feel off scale if it got too big, but adjoining props and objects might make it feel like a more majestic piece.

I think it would also be cool to see a single white stone or two modeled out and popping out of the wall surface in various places just to give it more depth to add to your paralax/normal trickery.

Just some thoughts. Overall looking dope and really impressive how far you guys have come on this beast.

suggestionsi.jpg
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Ott for the feedback, much appreciated!

Alright here is the latest on both shots. We spent the day getting a solid lighting pass and the second shot flushed out. Tomorrow we will be tightening things up, so any more feedback would be great! :)

Shot#1
    Shot1.jpg

Shot #2
    Shot2.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Is it weird that i got a boner?

Awesome Job!
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice job! I love the strength in the color of the light!
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    very cool! Love all the detail everywhere =). No too sure about the cracks you put on the textures, they look maybe a bit too painted? Maybe they can have a more stronger normal map so it looks more geometric, right now its a bit too much as if someone made black lines with a marker.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    nice job guys, the lightning could have more contrast, but its too late now :D i dig this one of my fav :D
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    loving it so far =)
  • albino_goldfish
    definitely my favorite so far
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! We're getting close to snapping our final shots and wrapping up our entry!
    No too sure about the cracks you put on the textures, they look maybe a bit too painted? Maybe they can have a more stronger normal map so it looks more geometric

@Peris - the decals are 128x128 with no normal maps. Could not for the life of me get static lit decals to work! I'm all ears though if you or anyone has any ideas!

-Tyler
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Not sure if the noise is helping your scene. It seems to muddle the colours a bit, especially in your second shot, which makes it hard to read. :\
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What noise are you talking about, Adam?
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT - I guess this looks like we're hovering on the thread... ;)
    Not sure if the noise is helping your scene
    By noise, you're referring to...? Lighting noise / contrast? Texture noise?

Thanks!
  • turpedo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Congrats on finishing guys, this stuff turned out great!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

First and foremost - big thanks to Snight and Asa. It was a BLAST working with these dudes! And all you PC'ers, great feedback, low blows, stabs, and critiques! You were that little bit of extra push we needed!

In 26 days, we busted our ASSES to get this scene done. We sincerely hope you enjoy!

Final shots, submitted and done:

teambutterpants_beautyshot1.jpg

teambutterpants_beautyshot2.jpg

teambutterpants_constructionshot.jpg

teambutterpants_textureshot.jpg

teambutterpants_conceptshot.jpg

Done! Time to play games!!!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    This came out really fantastic guys, great job!
  • PhilipK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    Damn the lighting in the final ones is great! This whole thing is looking really good :)!
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really liked this shot guys. Good job and well executed. Good luck. :-)
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome job, definately one of my favs, i really liked how the crashing meteorites thingies added the endgame feeling so easy.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    great job guys !