Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tenten - GameArtisans Naruto Contest

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
Been a while since I've posted anything "finished" (I've discovered full-time work in the game industry will do that to you!), but I'm calling this done... still a lot of stuff I'd change but this will have to do since the deadline for the contest is in about 2 hours, heh.

Thumbnail:
thumbnail.jpg

Winning Pose:
winningpose.jpg

Beauty Shot:
beauty.jpg

Construction:
construction.jpg

Textures (mostly downsized with a couple of areas shown at 100% resolution):
textures.jpg

QuickTime turntable (5Mb .MOV)
qt_thumb.jpg

The concept art was by Tully, which you can see in full over in her contest thread here: http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showpost.php?p=13429&postcount=38

Several people mentioned stuff about the face and not liking it. Personally I quite like how it looks at the moment, and don't really want to change it partially out of laziness and partially because I can't really see what the main problems are (I think I need to stop looking at it for a while) - anyway I reckon if I asked for paintovers I'd probably get as many different results as people's opinions go, so I dunno smile.gif

There are several issues with the rig, and some of the texturing is horrendously under-detailed, but I'm fairly happy with the whole thing, especially since most of my time was spent making stuff out of ZSpheres and retopology while trying to learn ZBrush 3 smile.gif

Anyway, there it is, feel free to tear apart.

-MoP

Replies

• tremulant
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Looking excellent, I dont think the face is on par with the rest; as others have said...but none-the-less, it doesnt really detract from the piece. Very nice work Mop.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    only crit i have is that the pink and gold things on her hair buns look a little muddy and unrefined.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    jesus saw the concepts, great job tully , really awesome ! this whole piece went to my inspiration folder smile.gif
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    awesome stuff...the material on the corset and leggings comes off a little rubbery..and the underdress might look better if it was just a tad bit more transparent- right now it seems too heavy...but nitpicking aside great job
  • ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Definitely a kickass piece man. Great job! Youve gotten be fired up to get my zbrush up to par.
    ...oh and your lady's concept owned me in the face.

I peeked at your progress thread on GA, and saw you were repoto-ing some pieces before taking them to completion. When you do this, are you breaking them into seperate pieces? (ie: retopo the head and keep it at a seperate subtool)
  • fogmann
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    You two are truly unbeatable, especially when you join forces! Hats off, amazing job both of you.
  • Asmuel
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    You two are truly unbeatable

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, Hope you guys enjoy your prizes cool.gif
  • Asmuel
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Its actually so good it makes me feel a little sick, and warrants a double post smirk.gif
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. Great job both of you...amazing concept by Tully and great work by MoP. Other than that, my only real crit I don't think has been mentioned is the hair. I'm guessing this might be one of the parts you were referring to that was muddy, but in the close-up it seems kind of blobby, in both the diffuse map and normal map. Nice balance of colors, materials, etc.

Also...I'm not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but when I go to load the quicktime, I don't get the viewer, but instead a bunch of machine gibberish.
  • foreverendering
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    fantastic work - everything about this one screams topnotch
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Wait, you were learning ZB3 while making this o_O. Considering the result, that's pretty hardcore.
    Its awesome sauce.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome quality as always guys. I'm in the Per camp on the face though Paul. I've simply seen you do far more convincing faces, and there's something about this that just looks awkward to me. It's a little too generic and naive to feel super realistic, and it's not particularly stylized in any way either. I guess in a nutshell it feels sculpted from memory. If you can ever be arsed, I'd take a look at it with some fresh eyes some day, and maybe some really solid ref. of Asian faces. Great quality overall though.
  • krayzie777
    Thats awesome! You made Tenten look a hell of a lot sexier too! nice work smile.gif
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    lovely specualr work. it makes that coat.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    the face is definitly not the best part BUT the close-up shot of it is looking quite cool actually ! There is something more natural and realistic on this specific shot. The rest of the work is really cool and the concepts are just F***ing awesome !

Best of luck for the contest guys smile.gif
  • greenj2
    Amazing work guys, from concept to completion. Really well done and good luck with the comp. wink.gif
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers folks smile.gif

Asherr: That's because they are muddy and unrefined, haha! Pretty much just a flat fill of colour an hour before submission :/
    Now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't have had that close-up angle of the face since it shows them off pretty badly, heh. Also I realised too late that the hair is clipping through the jacket. Damn!

low odor: Yeah I think you're right ... in general most of the fabric seems a bit heavy, I think it was partly due to sculpting it all in ZBrush first, and ZB doesn't particularly like very thin geometry so all of it is artificially thicker than it should be.

ChaosEidolon: Yeah, I broke stuff off into subtools when retopologising. The neck was going to be under the jacket anyway so I split that just around the clavicle area when I retopologised the head.

Illusions: Hah, good call. Again that was something I left far too late and had to slap some crappy overlays on to get any sort of detail at the last minute, so yeah the hair looks pretty bad frown.gif
    Not sure what's going on with the QuickTime thing, it works fine here for me in Firefox.

Slipstream: Well, I already had a decent handle on sculpting, but there was a lot of stuff new in ZB3 that I had never used before (ZSpheres, Subtools, Extracting stuff, Retopologising, various random tools and brushes) so I wanted to try out as much of it as I could. I didn't touch 3ds Max until I needed to start the lowpoly mesh smile.gif

Daz: Yeah, you're right, I definitely didn't use enough reference when doing this. It was pretty much all looking at the concept, and the occasional glance at photos of Grace Park. It's weird though, I personally don't think it looks particularly bad right now, although I'm sure I could do better... maybe I just have weird taste smile.gif
    Or I've probably just been looking at it for too long.

Cheers for the feedback and replies everyone! smile.gif
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    heh you might wanna investigate why i get this when i try to access your website:

This site is blocked by your employer EA Digital Illusions CE AB.

Reason:
    The Websense category "Adult Content" is filtered.

URL:
    http://www.ldaustinart.com/paul

just a heads up
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lol, wtf? The only thing I have on that site that is remotely close to adult content, is a life drawing of a nude woman, and that's from the back!
    Might wanna talk to DICE or EA about that smile.gif

Anyone else had problems with Websense blocking them? I can't imagine why it'd think my site was "adult content" :/
  • Sa74n
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    hey mop. nice work there. and the concept is fuckin rad.
    the sculpting is pretty cool but for the final model i think you didnt quite hit the facial traits. eyes look as if they are too deep (too dark) and the nose is a tad too long. mouth and chin area lack the confidence of the concept art (and might be too low).

i think the biggest problem probably is that you got lost sticking too close to the concept art. it kinda turned out looking a bit too perfectionist and forced without the more artistic and convinced shapes and brushstrokes if you know what i mean.

still great work though smile.gif
  • Maddness
    Offline / Send Message
    Maddness polycounter lvl 11
    MoP, EXCELLENT job man. I think you did TenTen great justice. Now if you can do a Neji and Rock to go with her you'll have a wonderful 3 man squad.

BELIEVE IT!
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Websense gets a taste of its own brand of censorship here.

Great work as per usual Mop, although I agree with the face crits.
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    lol well apparently websense is striking down on a lot of polycounters. i just realised that rawkstars site got blocked under "sex".

it got me wondering when the whole "this is my desk" thread didnt really contain any pictures smile.gif

kinda sucks, always very inspirational to watch your work.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Another web prob:
    Also when you hot link images on game artisans they repeatedly continue to reload rendering me unable to view your threads using opera.

You two are da man/women love the work she's a beauty.
    Sexy designing both of you!
  • Mark Dygert
    Amazing work you guys! Very inspirational,and very much my favorite entry. Great winkles and clothing details! I've loved the scrolls since I first laid eyes on them =)

Crits:
    - Round out the nose to be a bit more natural, its "weather girl perfect", you can only buy a nose like that you can't find anyone who is born with it heh. It would match the concept closer also...
    - The eyes are a bit bulgy, it looks good on the sculpt so I think its the texture?
    - The neck looks overly painted but considering its UV space and that its covered by hair I say it works out to a wash.
    - The spec on the face seems a bit too shinny and is starting to venture into Doom3 plastic-land. Could be the lighting but looking at the spec map it seems a bit too bright.
    - Personally I would have scaled down the texture space for the arm and given it to the face and hands.It rivals the torso for space and is mostly a flesh color that can handle some stretching. I guess if you where going for overall pixel density then it makes sense? The model turned out great anyway so its just personal style, I would have liked to have the extra room.

Amazing work and I don't aim to belittle it in any way. Here's to hoping you guys pull out a win, I think you're well on your way!
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Great work from you guys as always MoP!
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the eyes do appear bulgy and the texture around them is dark. the hair lacks the defined shapes visible in the high poly mesh. the shape of her heels are poorly defined in the low poly. the face is a bit shiny, and I think perhaps the texture colors and the lighting are blending to create unflattering hues. otherwise it looks fine. Not familiar with the character, but it's a nice outfit. The concepts for her are fantastic.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    thats great! love the color. badass pose!

comments:
    I dont mind her face, just wish it had a little more texture realestate.

not to sure of the fabric of the stockings/leg things. Is it rubber? Fabric? Metalic? seems like the spec could pop a little more to give it some more definition, or include some bump-normal map stuff in there to define it further, or knocking out more details in the specular with blacks.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    great execution man! very nice balance of colours and definition of shapes
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Williams polycounter lvl 16
    Illusions, I get garble too, in IE. Right click, save target as will get the file.

Great model.

Question, how did you get texture work that doesn't look like it was modeled in high res(design on sides of leg)baked into the normal map? I don't have normal maps completly figured out yet.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice! I love her clothing.
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Great work MoP wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Done it again!
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
  • demoncage
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    congratibulations guys! smile.gif
  • Spark
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Yea awesome news! Another competition taken from some Polycounters, glad your both on our side:)

Spark
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Awsome Mop, you like to collect awards or what hehe ? pretty good solid work.

Congrats man you deserve it smile.gif