Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samus Aran

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slainean polycounter lvl 18
samuscloseup2pp5.jpgsamusposesva0.jpg
samuscloseup3sc5.jpg

I posted a WIP thread for this model quite a while ago and only recently got around to finishing it. blush.gif

Samus's look always changes game to game, and I never thought she looked very tough for a bounty hunter, so I hope my version does. Originally I wanted to do a different style but I ended up changing it a lot. I also made a couple mistakes with the joints that I didn't even realize until I tried to pose it. Anyway, hope you like it.

8,788 polygons
512² for the head, 1024² for the body
spec and diffuse

Replies

• steady
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! The battle damage is pretty randomized, not too consistent, the chest damage has two blue lights that dont make sense to me, I was thinking the yellow underneath would be exposed or something. Amazing texture work all around though, great job!
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    The other problem I see...her body may be badly disproportioned. Would it be possible to get some orthographic renders to check it out?
  • EarthQuake
    Her face looks completely detached from the body, like it was painted by a different artist/in a different style.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    the whole neck area really bugs me. her neck looks way too long to be realistic.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I agree with Keg, lower the head or raise the chest armor. The neck area is terribly bothersome. Otherwise, it really looks great! Although I think she'd look better without the damage, unless you plane to take it further.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    neck too long?
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The Metroid power armour proportions have always been a bit strange. She'd have to have enormously broad shoulders to fit into it properly. Perhaps if you're doing your own redesign you could make the armour more anatomically correct.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Her face doesnt look very "tough" to me like you may have wanted. Looks pretty hawt though.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Leave the broken parts and keep the hard surface dents and it will work even better.

I think the neck is having iuuse because its out of place.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i agree about the face looking completely off, but damn it looks really cool in my opinion, the hair etc , the facial structure, its difeent from the cliche im used to see , really nice !
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I have to say I don't like the color scheme of the suit, but all in all the model is really beautiful, and I love her face. Great work!
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    any chance of seeing the textures? doesn't really look like a 1024 to me. the thickness and fuzzyness of some of those black lines made me think you used a 512 - could use some sharpening up. I think this is an excellent base, but doesn't look finished to me.

her hand looks really small/frail
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    samuscloseup1aku8.jpg

I tried adjusting the neck a bit. The further I move the neck down, the more glaring the other proportion flaws become, especially the arms as Jackablade pointed out. And Superman would be jealous of Samus's lat spread.

Another view (after neck adjustment):
    samus34oy4.jpg

I think the reason the head sticks out is because of the different palette. I'll try to tweak it a bit, but for the I'm getting dimishing returns on this one, so it's more or less done.

Thanks for the feedback, dudes.

Here's the body texture if you're curious.
    samusflatsjq0.th.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    dont change the head i really think it transmits a fighter woman, instead of a model, great job man.
  • Dakkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Dakkon polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, the neck was really the thing that stood out the most when I initially took a look. I think one thing that isn't working for me are the hands. They're extremely small in proportion to the rest of the suit. I think I can see some skin showing on one hand, which would mean she's wearing very thin gloves. I'd find that a bit weird that she'd cover every other part of her body with armor, but her hands.

I'd suggest giving her larger more mechanical gloves to maintain that proportion across the body.
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny - Thanks smile.gif I'm not going to change her features, but maybe just play with the colors so it looks more unified.

Dakkon - My concept was that she had removed the mechanical hand/armor over her left hand. In retrospect, it's one of the things I would have changed about the model since that's not immediately obvious. I painted a bare hand texture, but ended up covering it.
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    like many people, you fall into the bland specular category. Everything has an equal shine to it, and that just kills the piece. experiment more, this has potential.
  • demoncage
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    Slain, really nice job here. like many, I agree the proportions are way off, but without alot of backwork you might have to just accept that fact at this point. i don't think it's such an issue when the helmet is on as the character becomes alot more inhuman. i don't know the lore on the character, is she synthetic to any degree? anyway, might want to play around with sizing up the head and as mentioned lowering it into the body a bit. by the way, the head and face is really impressive. texturewise too, very nice all around. i think you should just do what you can do at this point to balance things out and expand on the existing model/texture.
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    hey, nice job man, she's really cute.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    on how the suit fits:
    Schematic
    smart_sam03.jpg

As far as the character, she was originally billed as a cyborg in the original metroid. The special mode where you can play as suitless samus, she still has a gun arm, which was always a hard point for me with the fit of the suit (where does that other arm go?). Since then she has become less cyborg (or none) and more human/alien genetic cross creature. (orphaned, adopted by chozo, given blood transplant to be able to survive in their native environment (course they'd have to alter her marrow too but *shrug* backstory..), and metorid fusion has her at least partly bonded with metroid dna whatnot.)