Home Unreal Engine

Help with rolling ball blueprint movement

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I'm trying to modify the UE4 ball rolling default scene to behave more like Marble Blast. I've watched some of their tutorials and figured out how to add the third person camera controls easily enough. Now I'm having trouble figuring out how to have the movement controls work in respect to the camera rather than world coordinates.

Here's my rolling blueprint for moving forwards and backwards - right now it has the default roller ball setup, the controller applies torque to the Y axis. I think I have the right setup below to figure out the forward vector based on the spring arm rotation (what the camera is hooked up to) but I don't know where to go from there.

ballmovebp.jpg

My end goal is to make a little game that's like a mashup of Marble Blast + Journey.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, I'm closer but it's moving perpandicular to the camera :P
    ballmovebp02.jpg
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhm i don´t realy know what u are trying to achieve as i don´t know marble blast, and couldn´t realy figure out how it controlls from the videos.

but what i gues you need to do is either convert the camera orientation into world coord vector or get a pointer from the camera to know where in the environment it is facing and then move there.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll see what I can find out in the documentation. As far as controls I want it to behave like a standard 3rd person game. I think I'll go back and follow the third person blueprint videos and get that working and then worry about using torque as movement afterwords.
  • drlgamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying to make a game with controls like Marble Blast Ultra as well and have been struggling to get it working :poly141:. I looked at the screens provided and read what was happening. After a few hours of trying and brainstorming, I thought of modifying the inputs so they match the camera.

So I tried switching the W/S and D/A bindings and then inverted the -1 and 1 values in the first 2 rows. It works :). Don't think this is the best solution, but for now it works until a way can be found to do it more 'properly'. :polytwitch:
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wouldn't that be the same as swapping X and Y between the BreakVector / MakeVector in the lower-right?
  • drlgamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably, not experienced with Blueprint. I came from UDK and am just happy to get something working lol. Like I said, probably not the best work around but it works for now.
  • drlgamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dissonance wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be the same as swapping X and Y between the BreakVector / MakeVector in the lower-right?

I tried resetting the controls back to default and switching the X and Y between the make and break but it made the controls inverted. So instead of the game thinking the camera is 90 degrees to the left it thinks it is at 180 degrees.