Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP UDK: Hallway From Deadspace

Replies

• Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    digging the progress so far, and i love the composition of your scene with the orange screens on the wall.

the scene overall seems a bit too grey at the moment, and i think in general you need to push the atmosphere of the scene a bit more like Matt said. viceral makes great use of light and shadow in their games, so don't be afraid to give your scene more contrast between the light and dark areas. things like some lower fog, dust particles, and more glow on your lights can also help a bit with the atmosphere, but i understand thats probably not priority one. i did a quick paintover to illustrate more of what i was thinking

ds2_hallway_paintover.jpg

for some reason my monitor is way too bright, so im sure some areas will be too dark, but you get the gist. keep up the great work, im looking forward to seeing how you finish up this bad boy up :thumbup:
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    awesome paintover, I like the warm colors.
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Hey everyone,

Its late and I have to go, but before I did I wanted to post this update. I worked hard on this today, and its better. Still has a long way to go. I think I am adressing the issue of it not being horror enough more and more. Still don't think it needs to be darker overall. Just more clear defined areas of light and dark. I don't want it to look like some quick photoshop grunge poster in for some kids garage band.

isthisbestgawdlol.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the changes. I started updating the textures and spent a lot of time tweaking the lighting.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    well for one thing the dust on the lights is absolutely terrible :P (jp, hope the tut helps).

id still say one of the things that needs tweaking the most is (dont kill me).. the lighting. generally the scene still seems to be lacking in color. slightly warming up the lights could help, and maybe even giving a contrast of warm/cool lighting the two lights on the top right could be made to give a bit of a lightlightlightblue/green, and the orange signs could give off a bit more of their color. id say the best part of the whole set is where the seats are.. they seem to be lit perfectly.. just the right ammount of hotspot, shadow, and the light seems to just sit nicely there. the beams on either side of them could maybe use a slightly wider angle with a bit more of a falloff, and maybe not as intense of a hotspot.
  • Vonklaus
    I wanted to pop in and cheer you on. This is a very fun thread to read through and see all the improvements to this piece! Nice work so far.
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    fuckhs.jpg

I agree the lighting is far from done. Whole scene is kind of a mess at the moment. I need to get some more ref and revisit it when my heads clear. I kept pushing things around and came up with a modified version, but we will see.

Oniram, telling me the dust on the lights is terrable doesn't help much, how and why?

Oh and by the way I keep avoiding SATURATED color because every time I try them it looks like a grunge poster. Deadspace was pretty desaturated, in fact most horror is.

I'm trying to reconcile that with creating a unified scene at the moment and its not clicking.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    You've really come a long way. All the work you put into this shows. :thumbup:
  • jimmypopali
    Is the fog in here because of the smashed window down the hall? Or is it coming from the pipes in the ground which seem to be marked as a electricity sign?

The lighting is really looking great and coming along nice.

Also that's some blood. AND on the roof?! he got f**kd up!
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Your main floor panels seem really irregular. I'd suggest creating something that tiles a bit cleaner, and break it up with some scratches or floor damage. (Small stuff though.)

The wall piece on the bottom far right seems really out of place. Looks matte and bland. Throw some minor stuff into it like bolts or access panels. It just doesn't reach the same quality as the rest of the scene currently.

The little bit of grate you've got pulled up is nice, but I'd really like to see it done on the other section of grating further from the screen instead. Smack dab in the middle of that bit. The eyes get pulled to the screens and chairs, and then follow along into the hallway, so where it is now it's kinda 'out of sight.'

I think you're onto something really awesome here.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    i was just messin with that comment because i had this thread open just after the cascade one in the udk section.

by the way, are you doing any post processing in this scene?
  • Tavor
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Jacose, I love what this scene could become. I did a *very* quick paintover (overlay of a radial gradient):

deadspacescene.jpg

I think the scene needs a focal point. Right now, my eye just keeps darting everywhere because the lights are even everywhere, and there are no dramatic dark darks anywhere.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i agree with tavor. though you may not want to darken it jacose.. that may help the scene a bit more.
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys, I'M MAKING IT DARKER, i'm in the process of it, as you can tell this scene is darker yet. My lighting was really screwed up. I had light bleeding from several locations.

Also darkening the textures and completing them is going to make a huge difference as right now the specular in the shaders and materials is completely random in some cases. I need to get control of that and adjust the lights some more.

I'm actually headed to Alaska for a week. I'm leaving tomarrow, so I may not post again until I get back. I wanted to get this a little further along before I left. I've started doing paint overs again and i'm going to "meditate" on this while away.

Hopefully I can start to wrap it up when I get back.

All of your help has been amazing. Polycount is always there when you need it the most.

Thanks

2ddb3c239a.jpg
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    This thread is awesome to see how far along it's come, keep it up man! I like how everyone's been very helpful :)

And I would agree with some of the last comments made...try darkening up some areas and really pushing the contrast. Try dimming the lights in the tunnel area a bit more...it doesn't necessarily need to be in almost complete darkness for it to work but yeah the tunnel area could use a different type of lighitng on it....my two cents on the scene.

I do like how the wall on the right has darker lighting on it now :) keep it goin!
  • The Scrub
    dim lights, make lights more irregular (strength wise)
    adds a bit to the atmosphere
  • Serp
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    lol I ever realised it was 3d I thought you were just updating with new paintovers.
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    after countless hours of dead space 2 and the amazing progress in this thread, i have decided to get down on a dead space inspired environment myself. im stoked to see how you pull this together after your trip to Alaska, its been a huge inspiration for me. have fun :thumbup:
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    Paintover I did yesterday
    paintover.jpg

In Game Shot:
    inunrea2l.jpg
    Lower In Game Shot:
    inunreal.jpg

Small update. I got back from my trip Sunday Evening and only had time to do a paintover monday. Spent today starting to model in some forground elements and playing with a final composition shot.

My goal at this point is to get the scene "darker" by adding in dark elements. I also played quite a bit the the scale of some things to try and get things reading better.

If anyone wants to let me know what they think of the composition of the shot that would be great. I want to get something "final" locked in so I can focus on polish.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nice progress Jocose. The scene has really come together nicely.

The composition doesn't look bad. I think the 'lower shot' is too low though. I think it would be smart to set the camera's hight somewhere close to the player's eye level. That way you'll get a nice first person shooter-ish feel to it... assuming that's what you want.

I'm not really a fan of the blue green lighting at the end of the hall, but thats just me. I'd probably like to see it white. The only other crit, which I'm sure you already know about, is the random light cones coming out of the ceiling. And if your feeling ambitious, adding in some super small props to fill some empty space on the floor may not be a bad idea.

Looks great though, really nice. This is going to be a great portfolio piece for you. :)
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a small update. What you see here is pretty much the final product. I am going to start polishing it from here, no more revisions or edits. I could make some major ones, but given how long this project has been going on and how much I have learned I think its time to start locking things down props wise. So anything you see here is in need of polish but there wont be any new additions, just re-arrangements and adjustments to the lighting, and a big overhall on the textures which I am gearing up for next week.

updatei.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    the smoke feels a bit heavy, and not sure what's going on with the large dust fleks... they look like snow flakes.

very nice progress on this, it starting to look pretty solid. also, three cheers to all the helpful paintovers.

Good job, glad to see you're keeping at it too.

Some stuff is looking pretty rusty though, which may be ok, but doesn't seem to fit for space (just my opinion)

keep it up mang
  • Artifice
    The new element, which I think is a bundle of wires, in the upper left isn't reading well for me. It's a bit amorphous and vaguely biological to my eye. Almost like a biomechanical tube or eggsac or something - I'm guessing that's not what it is. I think it might have to do with the fog in the scene and the spec of the texture, as well as the low hanging silhouette. I know you're revisiting the textures, so this may be jumping the gun, but there's my 2 cents. Everything else is looking ace. This has been a fun one to follow.
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone you can view a video here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYw7ms7ckSA&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I will keep working on this don't worry, but its sucked not making a video for so long because no one has seen the atmosphere the effects add.

Please let me know if you have any questions comments are much appreciated.

You can view a full series of images and also a breakdown at my website as well: www.cggart.com
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, nice vid, any chances of matinee'ing up a camera pan or something? Then spooky music, the sound of a grate falling and a critter scuffling away. Oh, and a flickering light. Get wacky with some LightFunctions, the kids love that stuff.
  • jordan.kocon
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, very nice work, it looks kick ass in action! What did you use/how did you go about capturing in game video?
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    @cholden: Yep, I want to do more with the video. I need to show of the materials a bit better. Could also be a bit less compressed, but there were major time constraints involved and I just wanted to get something up. I will certainly be using matinee when I do another one.

@jordan.kocon: I saw your other post, and the software mentioned there (FRAPS) is what I used. I then used a program called SUPER to encode it into a smaller file so I could upload it to YouTube.
  • IronHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work man.