Home General Discussion

Jurassic World

Replies

• reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    my childhood is once again preparing to hide in the laundry room.
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Jurassic park had a special magic that sequels will never recapture.

Every sequel that comes out just shines more light on what masterpiece the original was.
  • Paul Pepera
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    meh, just from seeing the CGI shark carried to the CGI aligator monster, I can tell what kind of movie this is going to be.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    IS this a reboot? I thought they shut down the island for good?
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I dont care if this is gonna suck right now.
    All I see is starlord vs dinosaurs in a jurasic park movie that atleast in the trailer looks like its gonna be somewhat close to the original masterpiece.

And starlord vs dinos sound pretty dope to me :)
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    5 bucks says its a Raptorasaurus Rex

not gene splicing cute things like... Brontosaurus and Corgi. Imagine the cuteness!

Will see it, love dinosaurs.
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    this kind of things only remind me that i'm still in awe of the efforts those guys put in in the original one 2 decades ago, how they archived that from almost ground zero with hardware that is far less powerful than an average console today is way beyond me.
  • heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    This is purely speculation from the raptor scene, but here's my theory on what I think is going down.

They reopen the park and have found a way to "tame" the dinosaurs into a sort of obedience trait through genetics or whatever floats your scifi boat. Then they decided they could splice DNA and create even a cooler dino that would just inherit this obedience trait. The dino goes on a murder rampage but befriends the little kid because the movie needs a 3rd act. Then the movie cuts over to the kids house, where John Lithgow has some sort of life-debilitating disease and slowly dies while the new genetic dino learns how to speak english from his son(the kid from the park), eventually finding out he is more dino than human and runs into the forest to create a dino army for the sequel.
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Chris Pratt the raptor whisperer..
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    The movie is just unnecessary. I never asked for this.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    heyeye wrote: »
    This is purely speculation from the raptor scene, but here's my theory on what I think is going down.

They reopen the park and have found a way to "tame" the dinosaurs into a sort of obedience trait through genetics or whatever floats your scifi boat. Then they decided they could splice DNA and create even a cooler dino that would just inherit this obedience trait. The dino goes on a murder rampage but befriends the little kid because the movie needs a 3rd act. Then the movie cuts over to the kids house, where John Lithgow has some sort of life-debilitating disease and slowly dies while the new genetic dino learns how to speak english from his son(the kid from the park), eventually finding out he is more dino than human and runs into the forest to create a dino army for the sequel.

Rise of the plannet of the raptors?
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Jeez, why's everyone so grumpy about this? The trailer didn't blow my mind, but I'm excited to see how it turns out. I think it'll be better than JP 2 and 3 at least.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Well, the original screenplay is written by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa, who brought us "The Planet of the Apes" reboot, which is IMO one of the best thing i've watched this year.
    The director previous movie, "Safety Not Guaranteed" is not that bad and i actually liked it.
    The Cast seems pretty good too.
    And that trailer, even though i agree it looks kinda 'meh', it's actually not that bad.

So, i'll reserve my judgement until later. If lots of people liked it, i'll watch it.

@heyeye: haha, good one!
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    weee wrote: »
    this kind of things only remind me that i'm still in awe of the efforts those guys put in in the original one 2 decades ago, how they archived that from almost ground zero with hardware that is far less powerful than an average console today is way beyond me.

+1

anyone else think starlords acting looked flat/meh based on those clips?
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Looks good to me. Hearing that tune brings back some memories.
  • Natulini
    New movies of Jurassic Park, 007, Star Wars will never be better than the first ones, at least for the people who watched the old ones. This new Jurassic movie will be better than the one of 1992? To do that it has to overcome not only the first movie, but also the good memories and nostalgia of the audience, this is impossible to any movie.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    That thing right there,

They can't beat the sensation of seeing realistic dinosaurs on the big screen for the first time ever when jurassic park hit the cinemas, that was revolutionary.

I'm just hoping the movie has sensible pacing and good characters, shouldn't be too hard right, right? ;(
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Needs more animatronics.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't the scientists learn anything from Deep Blue Sea.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Needs more animatronics.

this should happen in everything.

i'm not overly concerned that it will be terrible - It could very well be good. I don't expect it to be better than the original, it would be an amazing movie if it came close to AS good as the original.

I am, however, battered and scarred by the things that have been done to the things i loved growing up. i refuse to get too hyped because that will only lead to disappointment. pain. suffering. agony.

i like the nice scifi bubble cars though.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I was 7 when the first movie came out. and it was like MAGIC. All of my teachers, throughout my entire life were convinced i was going to be a paleontologist, i was literally the kid walking around with dinosaur books and toys and shit, all day every day.

The second movie came out when i was 12, and i could more easily grasp some of the more adult themes of the movie (by this point i'd read the Jurassic Park novel, given to me when i was ~10 by my grandmother, hardback edition, i still have it <3). And even though some of the stuff in The Lost World was cool, it couldn't beat the first...

And the reason for that is simple, nothing can beat that NEW feeling of wonder at seeing a dinosaur like that for the first time. When Jurassic Park came out, nobody in the world had felt that way, even museums still only had skeletal exhibits, maybe some paintings or drawings of what they thought the dino's looked like. So everything in Jurassic Park felt NEW, and WONDERFUL.

That won't happen now, not even for my daughter, who's 2 years old. She's already seen Jurassic Park, she loves the dinosaurs, she is going to be growing up with those kind of visuals seen as a normal thing to her, not something special or magical, not new. And i feel kind of sorry for her for that. I imagine the same is true for most children out there now... There's very little "wonder" left in the Jurassic Park franchise for children to discover. I think discovery is the key word there.

Anywho... the movie will likely be a success, but it won't have the magic, and hopefully it will be the final thing that lets them know to just put the franchise to bed properly.

It also hit me that Richard Attenborough is now dead, By the time the second movie came out i realised how perfectly cast he was to play John Hammond.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I just think it's sad that they reboot the whole thing and don't put in the new knowledge they have about a lot of the dinosaurs in it. If it was just a 4th episode, i could understand they stick to the old designs. But they could have made such cool shit with feathers now :/
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The 'magic' was never the visuals, it was all in how the film was presented. There's an inherent sense of wonder about the whole thing, even after all hell breaks loose. What's important about the first film is that the dinosaurs are never really treated like monsters, they're treated more like dangerous animals who coincide with the cast. The second film was a little different in time, but the third film abandoned that premise to have a bunch of and suffered for it, since the entire premise was basically a bunch of people on an island trying to escape from monsters.

That aside, that trailer did not fill me with faith at all, it was full of nonsense. Feeding a great white shark to a liopleuradon was silly, but I could let that slide. The whole genetic hybrid super-dinosaur concept is puerile at best, downright stupid at worst. Packs of trained security raptors? Oh boy.

For the record, it has already been leaked that the dinosaur is a Raptor-Rex hybrid with additional genes spliced in from cuttlefish and snakes which is apparently called the 'Diabolus Rex' (yes they literally called it 'Evil T-Rex'). I'm guessing they had to add the cuttlefish and snake genes in there to explain some even more stupid things, for example a cuttlefish like stealth ability...
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    If they really wanted a genetic chimera they could easily have run with the "we didn't have sufficient DNA to resurrect X new interesting dinosaur, so we spliced in a bit of something else to complete it" rather than what would appear to be "we mashed some different dinosaurs together for the hell of it". Or to sell to the military as the ultimate weapon.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    ambershee wrote: »
    The 'magic' was never the visuals, it was all in how the film was presented. There's an inherent sense of wonder about the whole thing, even after all hell breaks loose.

Precisely, the best sci-fi films succeeded because the suspension of disbelief was in their -ideas-, not in their spectacle. The first Jurassic Park had an amazing script, of course based on Crichton's novel, that had a lot of people believing maybe you could clone dinosaurs... And the VFX team completely sold it.

Nowadays they think they can hire any jerk who knows how to write a screenplay, some director, and ILM and they have a blockbuster. The funny thing is they probably will have a blockbuster.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Looks thoroughly meh. When I heard the title of the film I was imagining it would be an exploration of the world after the first 3 movies and the books, which inferred that dinosaurs were swimming off of the island and going around the world. That would have made a great movie, but this seems like a cash-in on the original film, done with a lot less taste. I have a pretty good feeling it will be absolute shit, and that almost anyone here could write a better script. Time to just wait and see.
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I have no idea how the cg still holds up from 20 years ago.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWsbcBvYqN8[/ame]
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I wasnt too blown away by the trailer, but dont get when people moan about them making another one. if you dont like the jurassic movies, then just dont go see it. personally I have been waiting for JP4 for years and years, the 3rd one sucked, but I loved the 1st one and lost world.

seriously though its gonna be 12 bucks to go see a movie about people getting eaten by dinosaurs. I dont get why people want chris pratt to be so cooky and cocky all the time, thats star lord. I would hope he doesnt have to play that character in every movie....

looks ok, I know there is going to be some stupid shit, there always is. but supposedly the director is really trying to channel the sense of wonder that came across so well in the first one, so I am hopeful.
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    At least it's about that "don't play god!"-theme again. And not only about "OMG! DINOSAURS!!!! RUN!!!"-stuff...

But who would be stupid enough to combine a Raptor and a T-Rex?! (Which seems to be the hyrid if you take a close look at the feet.. I think I spotted a Raptor claw...)

Edit: I've been waiting for another one for years. And even if it'll be only as "good" as 2 and 3 I'll be fine with that. But I hope it'll be better, but I guess not as good as the first one still is.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I fully expect this movie to be stupid as hell.

I also want to see it on the biggest screen possible.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »

words of wisdom
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    After watching so much Parks and Recreation, I can't possibly take Chris Pratt seriously.
    It's like seeing Jim Carrey playing a serious role... 'tis difficult.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    After watching so much Parks and Recreation, I can't possibly take Chris Pratt seriously.

Jurassic Parks and Recreation

Seriously though, I'll look forward to it. If it ends up being lame, it is no skin off my back, you know. In any case, I hope to enjoy it.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Swizzle wrote: »

Lol, truth.

I'm just going to go in and enjoy it. By no means do I expect it to be as good as the original, or anywhere close, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

On another note, I read awhile back that they were using a good amount of animatronics as well as CG.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    similar to Robocop, my initial reaction was 'do we really need a sequel/remake?' but in both cases they already made crappy sequels so what the hell, let's see what happens. Not going to get hyped up about it though!
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Am I the only one who think the scene with the shark looks like crap ? I miss Animatronic geez :<

My feeling toward this movie is just like the one toward StarWars VII, The fangirl inside me is so freaking hype it wants to roll on floor and cry of joy. But my brain tell me " Oh girl you're going to be so deceive and cry for month after this, you'll regret hyping so much"
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    and why do those raptors hang around with dinolord in one scene like a bunch of trained dogs, don't tell me its about good dinosaurs fighting with the bad one, if thats the case, what next then, we've already had apes turned the world upside down.
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Youd think you could feed the mosasaur something cheaper and simpler to come by than a great white.
    Talk about spectacle creep a hybrid monster Trexthing because you know, a Trex doesn't quite cut it xD
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Funny bit of info from this video with Jordu Schell about a minute in; he talks about how it was impossible to find a certain type of clay to buy and it turned out it was all being bought to sculpt the dinosaurs for the first Jurassic Park.

http://vimeo.com/48413999

Also it's great to watch him work.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Youd think you could feed the mosasaur something cheaper and simpler to come by than a great white.

They're (billionaires?) with the ability to create and breed dinosaurs and other long-extinct animals. Acquiring a few great white sharks one way or another is probably trivial to them.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    That shot just looks badly composited, almost syfy channel worthy:

1000px_Mosasaur_Feeding_Show.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably unfinished. Seems to be a pretty common thing for trailers, particularly this far out from release. Given that that's really the money shot of the entire trailer though, you'd think they might have waited until it looked a bit prettier.

Maybe the rest of the movie will look less crummy closer to release too.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably the case, but yeah, given it's one of the 'money shots' from the trailer, you'd have hoped they'd have done a better job of it. I'm guessing it was rushed to meet a deadline.
    weee wrote: »
    don't tell me its about good dinosaurs fighting with the bad one

The new dinosaur is being referred to as 'Diabolus Rex'. They are literally referring to it as 'Evil T-Rex' - so take from that what you will :/
    cryrid wrote: »
    They're (billionaires?) with the ability to create and breed dinosaurs and other long-extinct animals. Acquiring a few great white sharks one way or another is probably trivial to them.

Money or not, it's still pants-on-head retarded. It's not like great whites are easily kept, let alone bred in captivity, and it's not like you can just go out fishing and catch 20 odd of them a week (think about how much a creature that size needs to consume!).
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Money or not, it's still pants-on-head retarded. It's not like great whites are easily kept, let alone bred in captivity, and it's not like you can just go out fishing and catch 20 odd of them a week (think about how much a creature that size needs to consume!).

Yeah, but it's a show for the audience. To show how the scariest predator in the sea, the Great white shark, is trivial in comparison to that huge fricken dinosaur! When it's not on display they probably don't feed it great white sharks. ^^

All and all I think it looks like another dumb and great movie! I'll probably watch it when it comes out on blu-ray. ^^
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It's not like great whites are easily kept, let alone bred in captivity,
    And giant dinosaurs are any of those things?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    And giant dinosaurs are any of those things?

Obviously they are. Some animals can be kept in captivity (birds fare quite well, as do large animals like elephants), other cannot (Great White Sharks are a prime example).
  • stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    I guess cryrid's point is that if they have the technology to create enormous dinosaurs out of a few strands of old dna and raise them in a completely unnatural habitat, then they can probably just as easily grow some great whites in a vat somewhere for feeding fun times.

I doubt you'll get much sense out of the science in this one.
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    I guess cryrid's point is that if they have the technology to create enormous dinosaurs out of a few strands of old dna and raise them in a completely unnatural habitat, then they can probably just as easily grow some great whites in a vat somewhere for feeding fun times.

I doubt you'll get much sense out of the science in this one.
    Yeah obviously its just a film and so on and so forth but it's still going to be cheaper to buy a couple of ton of fish rather than grow a great white in a vat xD
    Still, it might yet be fun even if it is stoupid.