Home Technical Talk

3ds Max 2016 VS. Maya 2016 for modeling?

I know this probably has been asked tens of thousands of times, but what do you guys think?

If I want to model hardsurface sci-fi characters and do great environments, what do you think is better?

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both are capable. However if you have no previous experience with either, I'd choose Blender first, Max second, Maya last.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    The one you know the most is your best option. Since you don't know either it's a bit of a golden opportunity to give them both a shot before you get too used to a certain workflow.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Maya is the least ready out-of-the-box for straight up polymodeling and UV mapping.

It is capable of being configured for that, but it takes some time investment in UI customization, script building, and plugin gathering.

Max has very robust polymodeling and polymodel-oriented UV toolsets ready to use in a stock install, and their hotkeys and quad menu workflow is very good.

I would not attempt the same kind of rigging and animation in Max that Maya excels at.
  • antweiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    As everyone said, try both . If its for modeling/texturing only, consider the very capable Modo and Blender as well.
    In the latest release, Mayas out of the box modeling approach has been streamlined a lot, to make it more attractive. In the end, use whats most comfortable for you, everything will evolve over the years anyways
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    antweiler wrote: »
    use whats most comfortable for you, everything will evolve over the years anyways

This is true but Ive found that a lot of studios Im interested in are using maya and Im currently using maya at work so thats also worth considering. Where do you want to work and what do they typically use? Its easier to slot straight in to thier pipeline if you know the tools well.
  • polygons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MODO

(sorry, I had to do it, it's a compulsion)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Ged wrote: »
    This is true but Ive found that a lot of studios Im interested in are using maya and Im currently using maya at work so thats also worth considering. Where do you want to work and what do they typically use? Its easier to slot straight in to thier pipeline if you know the tools well.

Yep. If your goal is to get a studio job then use Max/Maya (try them both and see which feels better to you). With regards to modelling, besides Max's modifier stack, there's not a lot of difference now.

Otherwise look into Blender (free) or Modo Indie (really cheap).
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    If you're going to try and get a studio job, odds are you will use whatever software they tell you to use.

So odds are you will probably learn your way around both at some point. It's really not that difficult to learn one after the other once you learn where everything is, hotkeys, and the navigation. For the most part the actual workflow is basically the same.
  • RaptorCWS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
    pick one. I use maya at home and max at work. They both have tools you will wish was in the other package. If you know one the other is easy to pick up. I got up to speed on max in under a day.
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    "hardsurface sci-fi "

Go with Max.

Maya 2016 is a huge improvement on previous versions, but honestly after a LOT of customization and scripting and messing about it is still missing some powerful tools/workflows that are being used in Max/Modo to create this kind of work.

I can only recommend Maya if you are interested in rigging/animating your creations, if not then forget about it.

If you look at what top-tier studios and freelancers are using to create complex next-gen hardsurface stuff it is mostly Max and increasingly, Modo.

That being said, the future is bright for Maya if AD continue to improve it as they have been doing for the past 2 versions or so.
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I've used max mostly at work, But I find that I can model and unwrap alot faster in Maya. I love the marking menus in Maya. Once you get the hang of it you can really speed things up alot. Not having a modifier list that you have to constantly fiddle with also makes things alot faster! Especially when it comes to editing uv's while tweaking geometry.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Just use TorFrick 2017. Much faster.
  • Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    I have been using Max for about 6 years and Maya for 1, So I may be biased. Max is definitely quicker to model in, The edit poly rollout has practically all the functions you would want and you can cycle through subobject mode quickly. Maya has some issues and some things take a while to figure out but it can practically do the same thing, but it may be more convoluted. It has some really good retopo and sculpting tools however.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I am a max user and have only used maya a few times for rigging. People say maya is not as strong as max in the modeling department but I saw some videos from slipgatecentral a long time ago and it looked like you can really make anything. Also I think the max reference files are better, but there is more tutorial material available for maya.
  • Norstu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norstu polycounter lvl 8
    Lightwave, have you guys not seen these tools = http://www.3rdpowers.com/

Jokes aside though, there is just something about Max. It gives you a more direct & in control feeling. MODO is great but there are just times when its hard to spot & fix mesh errors. You have to run MeshCleanup constantly & hope that it fixes the problem.

That Max Modifier stack & rock solid symmetry though...just cant live without it.
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    People will always favour the packages they know most, against the ones they know the least. But that doesn't necessarily mean that one is just better than the other.

Frankly there isn't really much between the main packages now in terms of modelling, they're all very very capable, but at the same time, they also have their faults. So I guess it perhaps comes down to how they work in the hands of the user. And that's often about the one that people feel the most comfortable in.

Try them and go with what 'you' like, not what people should tell you to. However at the same time, be prepared to take your ego out of the equation and be willing to change and adapt if required.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops sorry wrong thread.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Having used both, Max is a lot more out of the box user friendly, the tools work efficiently and reliably, and with the modifier stack modeling is a lot more forgiving, it basically does most of the poly modeling heavy lifting for you.

With Maya on the other hand, unless you use it a lot, and work out the kinks, you will find yourself saying "why isn't this working!?!?!?!?!?111?!?!@" a lot.

UV'ing in max is superior, hands down. Honestly i wouldn't mind working in Maya if the UV tools where better.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Both good.

Just start going. They're both as equally adopted among big studios.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    How is Modo for studios ? Is it spreading ? The only fear I have for learning modo is no studios use it so id learn it and not be able to use it
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I did not realize about the license, that makes me debate buying it even more besides that fact it costs 1000 lol
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Is not 901 affected with stability problems?
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    901 is great. Granted I just had the trial of 801 before that.

Yes every now and again 901 crashes. It really doesn't happen as often as everyone makes it out to be. Maya and 3DS Max crash at times too. It's not enough of a deterrent for me not to recommend MODO to somebody.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, a comparison with 3ds Max and Maya on stability is not that encouraging, probably I'll give it a go before the end of the year.

Anyway, XSI>3ds Max>Maya
  • Jeyhun Danyaloff
    modo is really cool soft, but there is not some simple and mostly common tools, what other products have. for example, the vertex, edge slide tool is not so powerfull as in maya or max. or even in cinema 4d. I cant slide vertex with edge constrants as in max or maya. but maya or modo has not falloffs. P.S. sorry for my Englush:)
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    my personal preference lies with Maya but that's only because I have more experience with it, Max is still a superb program, I just think it's a little clunky.
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    Anyway, XSI>3ds Max>Maya

Bit off topic but is there still a legit way to get the older version of XSI before autodesk murdered it?
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    mazz423 wrote: »
    my personal preference lies with Maya but that's only because I have more experience with it, Max is still a superb program, I just think it's a little clunky.
    I agree, Maya is my baby and it's getting better!

IMO, max's navigation with the middle mouse button has always killed it for me. Along with it's lack of advanced precise snapping features as that of Maya.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14

Bit off topic but is there still a legit way to get the older version of XSI before autodesk murdered it?

No. :( Last year you could still buy it with a suite version of Max or Maya. Unless of course you can find someone selling a boxed copy with a license.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    I agree, Maya is my baby and it's getting better!

IMO, max's navigation with the middle mouse button has always killed it for me. Along with it's lack of advanced precise snapping features as that of Maya.

I think they're very similar, only the snapping tools in Max are a tiny bit clunky to use, not as streamlined (but more simple to understand)
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8

I think you can still purchase Soft as part of the Entertainment Creation Suite, but if you want an old version of XSI (pre-Autodesk), then no, you can't buy one. It's kinda worthless now, as there's no way to generate licenses anyway. Autodesk stopped support of the older versions a while back and warned people at the time, that if they wanted to move any licenses and servers then to do it quickly.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey wrote: »
    I think you can still purchase Soft as part of the Entertainment Creation Suite, but if you want an old version of XSI (pre-Autodesk), then no, you can't buy one. It's kinda worthless now, as there's no way to generate licenses anyway. Autodesk stopped support of the older versions a while back and warned people at the time, that if they wanted to move any licenses and servers then to do it quickly.

And this explains why I couldn't find XSI 7 on sale anywhere.

I hope Blender will improve soon.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    Anyway, XSI>3ds Max>Maya

Gonna sponsor this right here.

I'm gonna miss XSI.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    We need to have a candlelight vigil.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I cant slide vertex with edge constrants as in max or maya. but maya or modo has not falloffs. P.S. sorry for my Englush:)

Modo has both edge slide/edge snapping as well as a powerful set of falloff modifiers. You can also find an entire section dedicated to constraints.
  • Rokai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokai null
    ive been using max (last 3dsmax 2014) 3 years and migrating into maya 2016 almost 1 years, (now still using maya 2016)
    so its rather MAX2014 with MAYA2016 review. :expressionless: 

here are my review for modeling workflow between them

modelling TOOL > i would say that the only thing that maya good is its hot menu and hot key workflow, is super fast than MAX once u get used to it. beside that mostly modelling tool from maya is rather i would say... "irritating", u have to work around or go to some "secret" setting or go for some MEL script to get it right for only 1 simply result meanwhile in 3dsmax it just one click and so straight, example :spacing tool, opacity, normal and disp map input, geopoly and so many more.
    in other word maya is cant beat max at "procedural" modelling tool. thats why so much interior designer or architect go for MAX. (not to mention that in MAX2016 got its MAX creation graph)

UI > in maya the tools UI are rather chaos, example : for mirror and object u will find 3 tools that are placed in different place at all. color management, paint effect, paint 3D. it just so scattered everywhere. 3DS max UI is more mature and user friendly (because of max is older i think). mostly, in max all you have to do is heading to modifier tabs only.

NODES > MAX material editor are much more user friendly than maya hypershade the input and output con naming are so straight in max, in maya u will have to memorize all little trivial secret nodes setting spreading everywhere, meanwhile in max u just connect to it.

if u are a person who like a simply and straight to the point stuff and also need to budgeting ur brain memory for other software, then go for MAX.
    if u are a person who like a complicated stuff, scripting, tweaking, and challenging stuff then go for MAYA.

NB : MAYA 2016 UI ICON is much more simply than older version, and definitely more "eye" friendly than MAX. hope ADS keep improving maya UI more manageable not just "eyelicious" only in the future.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Ultimately it doesn't really matter what you use as long as you understand the principles of modelling and know what you are doing. I spent 4 years using Maya (3 at Uni and 1 at my first job) and now recently moved companies and am using 3DS Max. I still prefer Maya but Max works just as well :)
  • Toku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Maya is awesome but the modelling functionality is a bit frustrating. Ive used max for 6 years and you can achieve anything you could in max in maya except its going to require writing some scripts, setting up some hotkeys and even then.. well you cant cycle through sub object selections like you can in max. for example pressing 1-5 to go through vert/edge/face/border/element sections and holding ctrl to select the associated faces, all that stuff is done in hotbox which I think is a bit clunky to model effectively with. It has some really sweet modelling tools which max doesn't though
  • berry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    berry polycounter lvl 12
    Max is way more powerful and organized than maya. Even blender is less frustrating to work with but since most companies only use maya you have to learn it. I've been using maya for about a year and I kinda got used to it but I'm willing to get rid of it any day.
  • meathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meathead polycounter lvl 4
    Old thread but I would like to add my 2 cents, I have been a Modo user for a very long time and do love it but now starting to hit walls on more things I want to do, along with the low support for game design. (They are looking in to it more now) I started to learn Maya 2016 with Zbrush R7 and both together its unstoppable force. Just loving it, In the end once you learn one you will quickly adapt to any other program. 

Maya has really stepped on their modeling suite and keeps adding great features on each update.
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    since it´s up again i have to add something as well.

my main problem with threats like this is that opinions are alwayse biased and on top you maybe get a lot of false statements. i don´t read everything again but to pick the last which caught my attention in this threat:
    for example pressing 1-5 to go through vert/edge/face/border/element sections and holding ctrl to select the associated faces, all that stuff is done in hotbox which I think is a bit clunky to model effectively with.
    wrong! ok it´s F8 to F12 to switch between components and object lvl but once you found it you can convert your selections with the ctrl+Fxx combo as well. this is just one example but these threats pop up every now and then and you can always read something like this (about every software btw.).

so in the end it´s up to you to try and make your choice. i tried c4d, max and maya (there was no modo) when i started and decided for maya at this time for a couple of reasons but one was the UI. and does it help someone? No since you just read above how bad / cluttered the ui was/still is!

i also have a modo license for some time now and like a lot of it (fall offs, workplane..) but if i want i can also tell you a lot about what i hate in this soft (one point is the UI and even more cluttered tools;)). again it will not really help anyone since you never know if it´s user error or personal preference which can be completely different for someone else.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    old thread erasing my comment :p
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I feel like people have a hard time forgetting how programs "used to be". For instance, everybody saying Maya's modelling tools are less advanced, or that you need scripts for almost everything. Years ago that was probably true; but these days? 99% of the functionality I use comes with Maya right out of the box.

I can't speak to how Max has changed, but I assume it's a similar situation. I know Blender has been improving like crazy in these past few years, and yet people still think of how it was 6 years or so ago.
  • meathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meathead polycounter lvl 4
    Joopson said:
    I feel like people have a hard time forgetting how programs "used to be". For instance, everybody saying Maya's modelling tools are less advanced, or that you need scripts for almost everything. Years ago that was probably true; but these days? 99% of the functionality I use comes with Maya right out of the box.

I can't speak to how Max has changed, but I assume it's a similar situation. I know Blender has been improving like crazy in these past few years, and yet people still think of how it was 6 years or so ago.
    Yeah the issue is people dont want to give a program another try once they find one that fits them. I did not give Maya a try until 2016 and I like it (last time I used it was 2006) I still use Modo with a mix of Maya as Modo atm sucks so much with AMD Cards its not worth my time when I get to highpolys
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Joopson said:

I don't know about the 2016 version, but I used 2014 and 2015, and the modeling in those versions of Maya  still couldn't compare to any of the other major modeling packages. Many of them also looked and felt like clumsily integrated third-party plug-ins, rather than a core part of the program.
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    I heard SketchUp is pretty solid, very limited, but fast for polygon modelling.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    "Max is obsolete"
     - Person that spent thousands of dollars learning and purchasing Maya after their professor claimed it was "industry standard" as a course selling point
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Used Maya while in school, switched to Max for my first job, switching back to Maya for an upcoming job. They all more or less do the same thing.

The one thing Max/Modo has that I will miss is the work plane (Max from Miauu's script and Modo built-in). I also really liked the pelt map with pinning feature in Max. It made the UV process much easier. I'm still trying to figure out an alternative to that in Maya. Unfold using pinned UVs kind of works but it's not as smooth as I would like. 
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Arkaria said:
    Here's the thing. Anyone who says one program or the other is better probably doesn't know what they're talking about and hasn't used the other program. I've always used Maya so naturally I should be bias towards Maya but I'm not because I'm not an elitist twat.

Personally I like Maya because it feels less clunky, but a lot of people who learned 3Ds say that Maya feels clunky. So basically there is no right or wrong :smile: 
    I disagree, on the modeling side, Max is better. I used both Max and Maya extensively, and most tools in 3dsmax (analogues to the ones in Maya) simply help you do your job faster, they work better and they're less prone to issues. If you take the same modeling workflow, step by step, you'll finish faster and it will be a more elegant and streamlined process inside of Max. I don't use either software for animation, but for working in games as mostly a 3D artist, I would not recommend Maya and I'll definitely say Max is better! :D
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    huffer said:
    I disagree, on the modeling side, Max is better. I used both Max and Maya extensively, and most tools in 3dsmax (analogues to the ones in Maya) simply help you do your job faster, they work better and they're less prone to issues. If you take the same modeling workflow, step by step, you'll finish faster and it will be a more elegant and streamlined process inside of Max. I don't use either software for animation, but for working in games as mostly a 3D artist, I would not recommend Maya and I'll definitely say Max is better! :D
    The good news is, that's all opinion, not fact. Someone who's awesome in Maya, and someone who's awesome in Max, if tasked to model a complex shape, could probably both finish at exactly the same time. I think you just have the type of mind that works better with max, maybe, while others have the type of mind that works better with Maya. Some people can even switch back and forth and love both for different reasons.

Me, I have the mind for Maya. I used Max a lot in College, and never could understand the logic behind the modifier stack. I could use it well, but I always came away feeling like it was roundabout, inefficient, and clunky. But I know many people swear it's one of the biggest blessings in Max, and who find Maya's history system clunky. In max, I always felt like I was working through a glass wall, or something. Never actually touching the model, or directly working on it. In Maya, I feel like I'm pretty directly interacting with my work. I don't know why it feels like that, but for me, it does.

Basically, I agree wholeheartedly with Arkaria.

Both do their job really well, more or less equally. Each does some things better than the other, but in total, they're pretty equal. And if you feel otherwise, well, maybe you're biased.