Home General Discussion

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    My biggest problem with this is still the idea that Batman can somehow hold his own against this particular version of superman.

We saw in the last trailer, superman rips the top of the batmobile open... Are we really expected to believe that Batman's armour can do a better job than his tank? There are too many precedents already set in this particular version of Superman that just put him too powerful...

He has a list of feats (and more importantly, there is precedent for what happens when humans try and go toe to toe with kryptonians) from the first movie which all scream "Batman is fucked".

The only way Batman comes out alive, is because Superman doesn't want to hurt him. Unless being in the presence of kryptonite has some kind of literally instant effect of nerfing his power without him looking or feeling ill (he was stood within two foot of Batman in the trailer), then the only logical explaination is that Batman will do well "just because he's Batman". And that completely and utterly sucks.

I think if they want the movie to be taken seriously, Batman should give Superman everything he has, and then some, and Superman just peel his tank and his suit open like paper, and then just let him walk as an example of "You're a good man, and I don't kill good men, now leave me the fuck alone".
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Ugh, that picture of Eisenberg as Luthor just irritates me to no end.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, the more I see of this film, the less interested I am in it. Maybe their version of Luthor will be totally awesome, but at the moment, it sure doesn't look like it. Give me Ross's version any day over hipster Luthor. alex_ross___lex_luthor_by_superman8193-d59rpvr.jpg
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    My biggest problem with this is still the idea that Batman can somehow hold his own against this particular version of superman.

We saw in the last trailer, superman rips the top of the batmobile open... Are we really expected to believe that Batman's armour can do a better job than his tank? There are too many precedents already set in this particular version of Superman that just put him too powerful...

He has a list of feats (and more importantly, there is precedent for what happens when humans try and go toe to toe with kryptonians) from the first movie which all scream "Batman is fucked".

The only way Batman comes out alive, is because Superman doesn't want to hurt him. Unless being in the presence of kryptonite has some kind of literally instant effect of nerfing his power without him looking or feeling ill (he was stood within two foot of Batman in the trailer), then the only logical explaination is that Batman will do well "just because he's Batman". And that completely and utterly sucks.

I think if they want the movie to be taken seriously, Batman should give Superman everything he has, and then some, and Superman just peel his tank and his suit open like paper, and then just let him walk as an example of "You're a good man, and I don't kill good men, now leave me the fuck alone".

I have a strong feeling this is what they may do, from what I've heard i don't think zack will do something silly like because he's batman etc lol. He even said recently that the armor wont increase his strength, it's just to buy him time/protection for a bit.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, the more I see of this film, the less interested I am in it. Maybe their version of Luthor will be totally awesome, but at the moment, it sure doesn't look like it. Give me Ross's version any day over hipster Luthor. alex_ross___lex_luthor_by_superman8193-d59rpvr.jpg
    lol at first i was like wtf this ain't Lex! lex is bald. I'm sure later he will be the lex that we know but right now they wanna do what they want and make a good origin type or w/e. I actually like it. But then again i don't hate anything really lol. but yea loving the dual personality of Lex. One is an obvious modern rendition of a young and cutting edge billionaire with a hip millenial facade akin to Facebook, Google, twitter etc. And the other personality is a sophisticated man with a taste for fine art and history and an urge to kill superman.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    ArtisticTiger is actually a PR person from Warner Brothers. I'm on to you!
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure that armor is made up of Kryptonian-style alloys or some such that drastically boost its strength and make it Superman resistant.

Not a fan of Luthor though. I get that they are probably going for an evil Mark Zuckerberg vibe here, but the casting may be off. We'll see, he could own it.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    dfacto wrote: »
    I'm sure that armor is made up of Kryptonian-style alloys or some such that drastically boost its strength and make it Superman resistant.

Not a fan of Luthor though. I get that they are probably going for an evil Mark Zuckerberg vibe here, but the casting may be off. We'll see, he could own it.

The irony is he was casted as Zuckerberg in the movie "The Social Network"
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    That's just so boring though...

The whole idea of kryptonite is boring to me. I liked the fact that for once we had an iteration of superman that actually OWNED the idea that he was a walking god, that he was to all intents and purposes indestructible. I liked the ideas that brings, and i think that the involvement of kryptonite actually destroys what seems to be the theme of this film:

That Superman is an alien of unfathomable strength, and we as humanity have to learn how to deal with that. By bringing some shitty cosmic substance into the story that suddenly humanizes him (in all the wrong ways) to me is lazy writing, it doesn't address the core issue, it enables you to write around it.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Superman's one weakness = a swift kick or strike to the nuts. That's the plot line I want to see. Batman gets Superman to hold heavy objects over his head then beans Superman in the groin with a football.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUTVmuqviqE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUTVmuqviqE[/ame]
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    That's just so boring though...

The whole idea of kryptonite is boring to me. I liked the fact that for once we had an iteration of superman that actually OWNED the idea that he was a walking god, that he was to all intents and purposes indestructible. I liked the ideas that brings, and i think that the involvement of kryptonite actually destroys what seems to be the theme of this film:

That Superman is an alien of unfathomable strength, and we as humanity have to learn how to deal with that. By bringing some shitty cosmic substance into the story that suddenly humanizes him (in all the wrong ways) to me is lazy writing, it doesn't address the core issue, it enables you to write around it.

Agreed.:thumbup:
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    The Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice issue of Empire magazine doesn’t go on sale until tomorrow, but subscribers have already received an early copy. Comic Book Movie has been flipping through the pages, and have provided great info and scans for those of us who are waiting for it to hit newsstands.

“Initially I thought, ‘I’m older, it doesn’t seem like the right sort of fit for me,'” Ben Affleck explained. “Then Zack pitched me his concept for this older, more broken, kind of f*cked up Batman. It was something we haven’t seen. We have seen that Batman is willing to cross the line to protect people. That vigilantism has been a part of his character all along, and we are tapping into that mentality when faced by something as potentially as deadly as Superman.”

Director Zack Snyder also commented on Ben Affleck playing an older Batman than we’ve seen on screen before. “We are playing him 45 or 46, he has been Batman for 20 years. All the history is there. Was there a Robin at one time? Possibly.”

Obviously this interview was done before the Comic-Con trailer for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was released. We all saw the Robin costume hanging in the Batcave with the Joker’s graffiti all over it.

The Empire feature also reveals that Batman has a history with The Joker, Harley Quinn, and the rest of the Suicide Squad. In fact, he’s the one who captured them all and put them in the prison that we see in the Suicide Squad trailer.

There are also some great new images in the latest issue of Empire. Check out some scans for now courtesy of Comic Book Movie while we wait for some hi-res versions.
    WaynevKentEmpire2015Cover.jpg?resize=1536%2C2048&quality=85&strip=info
    IMG_0402.jpg?resize=1536%2C980&quality=85&strip=info
    IMG_0406.jpg?resize=1180%2C898&quality=85&strip=info
    IMG_0407.jpg?resize=1180%2C900&quality=85&strip=info
    Lmao someone did a meme for this face already.
    original.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg?resize=658%2C1110&quality=85&strip=info
    IMG_0405.jpg?resize=1181%2C898&quality=85&strip=info
    IMG_0404.jpg?resize=1181%2C896&quality=85&strip=info
    IMG_0403.jpg?resize=1180%2C896&quality=85&strip=info
    It’s no secret that Marvel has had a major head start on DC Comics in terms of one large, connected movie universe. But with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, DC is finally going to give it a try.

So how will Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Cyborg, and the Suicide Squad all make up the DC Extended Universe? By creating one giant story, according to Zack Snyder. Here’s what he had to say in the latest issue of Empire magazine (via Comic Book Movie):

“What we are doing is ground up all the way. It is one giant story. The first thing we had was the Justice League concept. The other movies, in a way, have to support that. That is our Wonder Woman, our Aquaman. They have their own creative concepts that supports them, but they do serve Justice League in the coming together of those heroes.”

“I want all the other directors of the other films to be able to stretch their legs and do what they want, but at the same time there is a big interconnected universe. I have given everyone amazing access to our story, to me, and what we are doing. All the films have like minded conceptual jumping on points.”

Meanwhile, producer Charles Roven explained how Warner Bros. and DC will attempt to connect all these different movies. They’re looking at it like a sandbox.

“We call it the sandbox. It has borders around it, but everybody gets to play in the sandbox. On Suicide Squad, David Ayer has a lot of specific control over his area of the sandbox. Even if he crosses the line a little bit, we see if we can push our boundaries back a little bit,” Roven explained.

The September issue of Empire Magazine features great interviews with Ben Affleck and Zack Snyder, but they also had a chance to talk to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice production designer Patrick Tatopoulos. Tatopoulos spoke about bringing the Batmobile back to the big screen, being inspired by Christopher Nolan’s Tumbler, and more. Big thanks to Comic Book Movie for transcribing all of the quotes here.

On bringing the Batmobile back to the big screen

“[Truly] an emotional process – it’s about what feels right. I showed Zack and Zack said, ‘Cool.’ Sometimes it just clicks. These films are very grounded. THere will be tons of CG, but also a lot of real stuff – especially with Batman. Of course, building a car from scratch is challenging. The car drives, jumps, pretty much does everything. We got the best people.”

A sexy looking tank

“He is not driving a Formula 1 car, he’s driving a tank that is very sexy looking. Batman is rougher, tougher, and grungier. So everything is rough: the weapons, the suit and the car. There are machine guns mounted on the front. When you first see the Batmobile, it is being fixed. It is not – boom! – coming out of the garage brand new. It is scratched, damaged.”

On being inspired by Christopher Nolan’s Tumbler

“Batmobiles are often designed very low to the ground, something classical. That didn’t feel fully comfortable for us. I thought the Tumbler was a revolutionary design, with the suspension very high up. I wanted to combine the two vehicles. I wanted something of a motorcycle, too: big wheels, suspension, exhausts.”

On bringing it all together

“With The Justice League coming, it influences my designs of the Batcave, the Batmobile, the Batwing. We are creating a world for Batman – every set, every prop, is real. We have to be ready for what’s next.”
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    And some more tasty info.
    18 things revealed in the 'Batman v Superman' issue of empire that no is talking about:
    1. Zack Snyder, his producer wife Deborah, and producer Charles Roven are overseeing the entire DC Extended Universe.
    2. Zack Snyder has a whiteboard in his office with the entire DCEU sketched out.
    3. Wonder Woman begins filming this fall in London.
    4. Justice League begins filming Spring 2016.
    5. Pre-production for Justice League has already begun.
    6. Ben Affleck picked out his own Bruce Wayne hairstyle for the movie, despite Deborah Snyder not being a fan of it initially.
    7. Ben Affleck wears a wig in the movie for his Bruce Wayne hairstyle.
    8. Batman is 45 or 46 in the movie, according to Zack Snyder.
    9. Batman has already met Joker, Harley Quinn, and the rest of the Suicide Squad. He’s the reason they’re all in prison.
    10. Batman carries a machine gun at one point in the movie.
    11. Bruce Wayne lives in a lake house that Snyder and company call the “Glasshouse”. Wayne Manor still stands, but has been abandoned.
    12. Clark Kent and Lois Lane live together in an apartment.
    13. A Detroit museum was used to film scenes at Lex Luthor’s house.
    14. Deborah Snyder cried when Gal Gadot first stepped onto the set as Wonder Woman.
    15. Five actresses auditioned for the role of Wonder Woman opposite Ben Affleck, but it was Gal Gadot who blew everyone in the room away.
    16. Wonder Woman’s role in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is key to shifting the story towards Justice League.
    17. It was Zack Snyder’s idea to put Batman in his follow-up movie to Man of Steel.
    18. Zack Snyder admits that Christopher Nolan was “taken aback” when he told him he wanted to reinterpret Batman alongside Superman, but he’s fully supportive.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter

The fight will most likely open as it does in DKR with Batman taking out a sonic gun, and blasting a pitch so loud and high every light, window, and piece of concrete shatters from the vibrations.

Superman's (who can hear clouds scrape) eardrums explode with blood, and he's left disoriented and deaf before Batman begins his beatdown.

Also, I don't think he uses Kryptonite. It's some kind of synthetic mist that emulated the radioactive properties of Kryptonite, which was why Superman was choking on it.
  • PhattyEwok
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I like this Lex Luthor it provides some nice contrast to batman.

Bruce Wayne inherited his wealth and his family has been part of the old boys club of class and money in Gotham. They represent the Old Way.

However it appears as if Lex Luthor is part of the new generation of wealthy people. His startup is attributed to his success.

The drastic difference between the two might provide some good character conflict.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I just notice Batman is super buffed ! Like, dang. I always thought Superman is like a Str/Vit hero. While Batman is like Agi/Dex instead. Guess I have been wrong.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I just notice Batman is super buffed ! Like, dang. I always thought Superman is like a Str/Vit hero. While Batman is like Agi/Dex instead. Guess I have been wrong.

Yeah it probably doesn't make much sense for him to be so big. He's basically peak human, but just for the sake of flexibility he'd probably be on the leaner side. But they're trying to emulate the aesthetic of "The Dark Knight Returns" comic, which is a good change of pace and I think they've done a good job. None of this shit makes sense anyway so I'm fine with him being buff as fuck. Plus, even his normal costume is probably armored which adds more bulk.

Meanwhile Superman doesn't even have to work out, and his strength isn't reliant on his muscle size, he's just genetically predisposed to look the way he is, which could mean his muscle mass would look smaller but he'd actually be much stronger. That said, Henry Cavill is big as fuck. I know Affleck is pretty big at this point too, wonder how they compare when standing next to each other (in real life)
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really news related but w/e something enjoyable i guess.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bY0j5smPzs[/ame]

lol it's cool how the elders know whats what more than a lot of fanboys.

If you're looking for a good reaction from a younger crowd, here.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6KcV2WCDw[/ame]
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwsgRYFqLM[/ame]

The Boston Herald
    caught up with the legendary Stan Lee this past weekend at Boston Comic-Con and asked him to weigh in on who would win in a fight between Batman and Superman.

“Superman, I think.” Lee replied, before going into more detail. “He’s indestructible, he can do anything. And Batman relies on a few weapons,” he explained.

Lee then revealed that he’s a bit conflicted because he’s had relationships with the creators of both Batman and Superman.

“The creator of Batman, Bob Kane, was a good friend of mine, so he’d be unhappy with me saying that. But at the same time, Jerry Siegel, one of the creators of Superman, used to work for me for a while. So I feel I have divided loyalties.”

“If this is real — a fight between Superman and Batman — there’s no way you’d bet on Batman,” Lee concluded.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'm going to be so fucking sad when Stan passes.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to be so fucking sad when Stan passes.

Indeed. I've been lucky enough to meet the man at a signing that my dad took my brother and I to when we were younger. Just as nice and personable as you'd imagine. Not just with me and my brother, but with my Dad too, who I'm sure Stan could tell wasn't a comic fan, but was taking his kids to something that he knew they loved.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    auKxknA.jpg
    Another share from zacks twitter
    The photo appears to be of Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne, walking through a field towards the abandoned Wayne Manor, which was probably created completely using CGI based on what we saw of it in the trailer.

crap forgot to post this older pic:
    11352398_1604174989870342_1704711945_n.jpg?w=800&quality=85&strip=info
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, this is why I really didn't want Batman in the movie... It's starting to feel like a Batman movie, with Superman making an appearance.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Honestly, this is why I really didn't want Batman in the movie... It's starting to feel like a Batman movie, with Superman making an appearance.
    I feel the same way lol but zack did say it wasnt a superman movie:P.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really related to Dawn of Justice too much but some news nonetheless:

In between Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad, and two Justice League movies, Ben Affleck is trying to do what he loves and star in and direct non-DC Comics movies. Deadline reports that Warner Bros. has pushed back two Ben Affleck projects. The Accountant, which Affleck stars in, has been moved from January 2016 to October 2016. Live by Night, which Affleck will star in and direct, has been moved from October 2016 to sometime in 2017.
    All these delays seem to be related to Ben Affleck’s commitment as Batman. In addition to the DC Comics movies already mentioned, Affleck will direct, star in, and write his own Batman movie along with DC Comics CCO Geoff Johns. According to Deadline, the script for The Batman (the rumored title) is already pretty far along, and will be turned into Warner Bros. by the end of the summer.
    So while Affleck would love to work on other movies, it looks like his commitment to Batman has caused things to shuffle a bit. Next spring he’ll begin work on Justice League Part One, and then probably The Batman shortly there after.

According to rumors from Warner Bros. insiders, the future of DC Movie slate will now center around Ben Affleck’s Dark Knight. The sudden (but really, unsurprising) pivot came after an early cut of Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice was shown to a small group of Warner Bros. executives. The big wigs were reportedly so impressed with the film, that they gave it a standing ovation.
    And much of that applause was for Ben Affleck and his performance as Batman. The executives are so impressed, in fact, that they are reportedly trying to get Affleck on-board for three stand-alone Batman films. Affleck’s Batman, and these movies, would reportedly become the cornerstone of DC’s other movies, with one Warner boss reportedly calling Affleck the “definitive Batman.”
    Since these reports are unconfirmed or credited, just treat them as rumors for now. But seeing as how Batman is, well, Batman, we wouldn’t be surprised if there was some truth to the story.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    This movie looks worse with every trailer. Zack Synder proved himself a hack with Suckerpunch.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow wrote: »
    This movie looks worse with every trailer. Zack Synder proved himself a hack with Suckerpunch.

LOL don't waste your time watching it or reading about i guess:p. Me personally i can't wait to watch it.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Or I can hope it fails so that DC puts the movies into the hands of someone better.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow wrote: »
    Or I can hope it fails so that DC puts the movies into the hands of someone better.
    Ok np man that's you. But if you don't have anything positive to say don't say it lol, it's a waste of time(mostly yours). You don't have to watch it simple as that, just because you or others dislike something doesn't mean others have to. lol Idk maybe make a thread about how much you dislike Zack or w/e but keep the negativity out of here:P.
  • loggie24
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    I thought Man of Steel was great, haters gonna hate :)

Can't wait for Batman v Superman!
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more news:
    Henry Cavill is currently promoting his new movie The Man From U.N.C.L.E‎, which co-stars Armie Hammer. Fun fact: Hammer was cast as Batman in the 2007 Justice League movie that ended up getting cancelled right before they started shooting.

While speaking to Uproxx, Cavill spoke about the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Comic-Con trailer, and commented on the DC Extended Universe overall. Check out his comments below.

From the Batman v Superman trailer that came out at Comic-Con, it did seem like the plot was tied into the destruction Superman causes in Man of Steel.

Cavill: There’s a big plan in place at WB for the whole DC franchise. So, all of this stuff ties in. They’re not thinking from movie to movie, they’re thinking from a big tent pole type thing and each story has its own story, which is attached to the major issue. Yeah, there’s a big plan.

Well, based on that GIF that went around directly comparing the footage from the BvStrailer and Man of Steel, it just feels even more like a response. Did you see that GIF?

Cavill: [Laughs] I’ve seen a lot of GIFs.

But this one is neat. It shows Ben Affleck in the street watching the building get torn apart, side by side with Michael Shannon in Man of Steel causing the damage and they match perfectly.

Cavill: Oh, cool.

Hammer: Oh, that is cool. That is very cool. That’s a little Easter egg.

So, it’s a direct reference to what happened in Man of Steel.

Cavill: You’ll see a lot of that.

Hammer: I was wondering about that in the trailer! I was like, that is a big building that just got chopped in half. And that’s from Man of Steel?

Cavill: That’s when Zod loses his mind and can’t control his heat vision and blasts everything out.

If you haven’t seen the cool GIF they were talking about, here it is:
    kQzPVht.gif
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, that is indeed cool.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-KKDiDRds[/ame]

Henry Cavill was on The Tonight Show last night to promote his new movie The Man from U.N.C.L.E., and naturally host Jimmy Fallon wanted to ask about Superman. The two joked about how Cavill bulks up to play the Man of Steel, and his preferred method of cardio as well.
    But more interestingly, Cavill confirmed that he begins pre-production on Justice League Part One in January. As was reported in Empire last month, Justice League Part One will begin shooting in the spring of 2016.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Warner Bros finally release the hi-res versions.
    Enjoy.
    Lol at first i though someone left their cursor on the screen, then i realized it was a hand scanner.
    6Uru9lU.jpg
    uGcvpmK.jpg
    hyfg8vx.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    dude thise images screwed up the formatting. almost blew my phone...just link the images
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    dude thise images screwed up the formatting. almost blew my phone...just link the images
    lol
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Alternatively you could just scale them down to a sensible resolution. You're not gaining much with those grainy low res images at that size anyway.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Alternatively you could just scale them down to a sensible resolution. You're not gaining much with those grainy low res images at that size anyway.
    True
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    The Hollywood Reporter published a piece today about the “chilly summer” that Warner Bros. had, pointing out that its big summer movies like Magic Mike XXL, Hot Pursuit and Entourage didn’t do as well at the box office as they had hoped. It’s mostly a business article about behind-the-scenes stuff and how people’s jobs could be in danger, but there was an interesting comment from Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara:

"He says this summer would have looked better had Warners not pushed Zack Snyder’s Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice from July to March 2016. “It was a tough decision at the time because it was going to create a hole in 2015,” he says. “But it was absolutely the right decision for the franchise, for DC and the movie. Having seen the movie multiple times, and again last night, I’m extremely confident it was the right decision to make the movie better. And it’s so important for the studio to get the foundation right on DC.”

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was supposed to hit theaters this past July, but it got delayed to May 2016 before getting pushed up to March 2016. Based on Tsujihara’s comments, it was a smart move to ensure that the 10 or so upcoming DC Comics movies have a strong foundation in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. If Warner Bros. plays their cards right I’m sure they’ll take a weak 2015 for all of the box office success they hope to get in the upcoming summers leading to 2020 and beyond

Also People’s Choice caught up with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice costume designer Michael Wilkinson for a fantastic interview this past weekend. We learn that it took about 18 months and a team of nearly 75 people to come up with the great costumes for the movie. Wilkinson also reveals a few cool easter eggs.

People’s Choice: What did you enjoy about tackling the wardrobes for Batman v Superman?

Michael Wilkinson: There’s nothing I like more than a challenge. I love to get outside my comfort zone and go to new creative places. Designing the costumes for Batman v Superman really allowed me to do this. It was an incredible 18 month experience with a costume department that at times swelled to 75 people. It is rare to have the opportunity to explore the visual world of a film in such depth, and I was accompanied on this journey by the world’s best costume experts. It’s a chapter of my life that I will never forget.

What sort of research went into creating Batman and Wonder Woman’s looks?

Wilkinson: To get ready to design the costumes for Batman v Superman, I really did my homework. I immersed myself in the long histories of these iconic characters — Superman [Henry Cavill], Batman [Ben Affleck], and Wonder Woman [Gal Gadot]— I studied how they have been portrayed over the last 75 years on film, on TV, in comic books, graphic novels and video games. I studied what they mean to people, what they stand for, why they are important. I started an exhaustive search for new materials and technologies — original ways of portraying these characters that would be unlike anything audiences have seen before. I wanted the costumes to help make the characters inspirational and relevant to modern audiences.

How are this film’s costumes different than what we’ve seen in previous films?

We tweaked the Superman suit only slightly from our suit from Man of Steel. We streamlined plus sharpened the details of the costume a little to suit the more earthly (less alien) context of this film. The batsuit is a complete 180 degree turn from the previous film incarnations — our Batman’s power comes from his incredible physical strength and fighting skills, not from armor. The director Zack Snyder wanted him to look as much like the comic book version as possible — to be respectful to the original source. As for the Wonder Woman suit, well she has never been seen in a film before, so there was nothing to compare it to! There is of course the costume from the TV show. Zack wanted our character to be a fierce and intimidating warrior — gritty, battle-scarred and immortal.

Should fans look out for anything in particular when it comes to the costumes?

Zack had a great idea to have some kryptonian script subliminally included in the details of the suit, so we made that happen. There is ancient Greek script on Wonder Woman’s weapons too. My favorite details of the batsuit are the brass knuckles on the gloves.

What was Ben Affleck like at his first fitting? How did he react to the suit?

From the moment Ben had the suit on in the first fitting he was hooked. He liked the way it made him feel – powerful and intimidating.

What was it like collaborating with the rest of the all-star cast—Amy Adams, Henry Cavill, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa?

The cast for the film were all amazing. Everyone was so excited to be working on such a cool, high-profile project. I wanted them all to look as impactful as possible. The fitting room was a very upbeat and inspiring environment.

How involved was director Zack Snyder in the process? What sort of feedback would he give you?

Zack was there at every step of the way — initial meetings, concept design, prototyping, fittings, camera tests. His energy and passion were phenomenal. It was the fifth film that we have done together, so by now we pretty much finish each other’s sentences!

You previously worked on Man of Steel. How many of those costumes carried over to this film?

Only the main superman costume. Everything else is new!

Did anyone beg to keep a memento from the costume department?

It was pretty hard to get Jason to get out of his Aquaman costume. It really became part of him. And Amy was rather attached to her winter coats and trenches.

Where did the costumes go after filming ended?

The hero suits begin a world-wide publicity tour in the next few months. They will be seen everywhere from Tokyo to L.A.

What was the most challenging part of creating this film’s wardrobe?

Trying to keep the stamina going for an 18-month project. Trying to make sure every decision I make is the most original one. Trying to make sure that I have put the maximum amount of passion and intelligence to every costume I put in front of the camera.

What’s one thing that would surprise us about the film’s costumes?

I think that most people would be surprised to hear that my approach to designing the costumes for Batman v Superman is similar to my approach on a film like American Hustle, even though the genres of the films are so different. I work out what ideas and mood I want to convey to the audience for each character, and aim to capture them using color, texture and silhouette. The choice of fabric and materials is absolutely crucial to my process. I always try to make bold, surprising, sophisticated choices when it comes to sourcing materials and using technology.

Any particularly fun anecdotes or memories from set?

I think I have to wait until closer to the film’s release to spill any beans. Ask me again next March!

Are you lined up to work on any of the Justice League films?

Again my lips are sealed. All I can say is that I am very excited about the year to come.

You also have Joy coming up. What can you tease in regards to those costumes? What was it like re-teaming with Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, and David O. Russell?

I think the trailer says it all. The film is going to be an impassioned, highly original work that will blow any expectations out of the water. Jen is a dream — so much fun to be around, her energy is infectious and her talents are immense. She had 35 costumes in the film that spanned over 30 years. David O. Russell was after a timeless, classic look that avoids the clich
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Despite getting murdered by Superman at the end of Man of Steel, Michael Shannon will be back as General Zod in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. You can see his dead corpse briefly in the Comic-Con trailer, but it sounds like he may have an even bigger role than we think. While speaking to Vulture, Shannon told a pretty funny and insane story from the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice set last year. I’ll just let it speak for itself:

"I was in my costume, and I couldn’t use my fingers because in the sequel I have flippers instead of hands,” Shannon told Vulture at a screening for 99 Homes hosted by Peggy Siegal. “So I had these wax flippers on my fingers, and I couldn’t open the door, and I could hear Zack [Snyder, the director] being like, ‘Where’s Shannon? Where the fuck is he?’ and the whole crew was standing around. I was like, knocking on the door with my flippers, ‘Let me out of here!’” Fortunately, Shannon had his personal superhero in the “craft-service guy, who doesn’t have the best craft service,” Shannon said. “He was actually paying attention to what was going on. He came over and he opened the door for me. Otherwise I would have gotten fired.”
    bvs.thm_.poster.jpg
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Suicide Squad will follow Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice next year, and even includes a cameo from the Dark Knight himself. But will Superman be appearing as well? Unfortunately not. Henry Cavill gave Metro.co.uk a firm “no” when asked if he’d be in Suicide Squad, though he remained hopeful that Superman could appear in the sequel.

Cavill also spoke with Cosmopolitan recently about strong women and who Superman would prefer between Lois Lane and Wonder Woman.

"The only guy who can get away with (Super)man-spreading — Sexy Brit Man of Steel Henry Cavill — kicks it cape-free this summer as Napoleon Solo in The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

NAPOLEON DYNAMITE "Napoleon is more of a ladies' man than Superman is. I'm not quite as earnest as Superman, not quite as much of a rogue as Solo."

ON THE ROCKS "I'd be impressed if a girl drank Jack and Cokes with me … and tried to keep up!"

FIGHT RIGHT "You can't make everyone happy. And someone shouting at you doesn't mean you're wrong. What matters is maintaining your integrity."

TOTAL SUCKER FOR… "Confident women. The world is filled with people uncomfortable in their skin. So someone who hasn't got a front on is very attractive. I don't date much. I'm more of a relationship guy."

PUCKER UP "I was a pretty awkward kid and really didn't have girls fancying me. My first kiss was outside a dance when I was 12, and it was one snog and out!"

SUPERMOVES "When I go somewhere where there's music playing, I'm not the guy who runs to the dance floor, I find it awkward. But after a few drinks, I definitely enjoy a dance. Is it a strength or a weakness? I don't know, I've been told some good things from time to time, but I'm no John Travolta by any means.​"

CHILL DOG "My pet's name is Kal. Not Kal El, like Superman, just Kal. He's an informal dog."

POWER WOMEN ​ "Strong women are nothing new for the comic book world. I'm glad they are being represented a bit more in film and on TV. Wonder Woman has been around forever, she is an incredibly strong character. She can go toe-to-toe with Superman sometimes.​"

SUPERMAN'S LOBSTER: LOIS LANE OR WONDER WOMAN ​ "This is a very long discussion because there are a lot of questions to be asked and answered. I mean who is better for a super-powered alien, a human or a goddess? Yes, the goddess can do all the normal things, which we would think are normal in a relationship, and not have any fear of Superman. But you also need to have that baseline of humanity, which Lois provides. And literally keeps his feet on the ground, keeps him down to earth. So that's more of a debate than an answer."

BINGEWORTHY SCOTS ​ "I watched a TV show recently that I thought was absolutely spectacular: Outlander. It's so good I watched it from beginning to end in almost one night. I couldn't stop. Jamie is a Scottish Superman, for sure!

BOXERS OR BRIEFS UNDER THAT CAPE? ​"Superman is a polite Kansas boy and would never tell you either way. It would be un-gentlemanly to discuss.​"
  • ArtisticTiger
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    (Super)man-spreading
    Oh god...
  • classiclover
    Offline / Send Message
    classiclover polycounter lvl 2
  • ArtisticTiger
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Some cool info

Between his upcoming Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and his plum gig shepherding the foreseeable future of the DC cinematic universe, Man of Steel director Zack Snyder has superheroes on the brain—even on a rare day off spent promoting Doritos’ final, high-stakes Super Bowl filmmaking contest.

“I’m going to leave here today and go see [DC Comics’ CCO] Geoff Johns and we’ll hang out and talk about Aquaman or something like that,” he laughs as we sit in a theater, on the Warner Bros. lot he calls his studio home.

Snyder first launched his career with a successful run in commercials before making his feature debut with the 2004 zombie remake Dawn of the Dead. His 300 and Watchmen scored over half a billion dollars combined for Warner Bros. and made him a star filmmaker for the studio. About a decade after launching his Hollywood career, he inherited the reins to WB's DC Comics superhero universe.

Now he’s embracing his ad roots as part of the last ever Crash the Super Bowl contest, which will award one fan-filmmaker a broadcast debut on Super Bowl Sunday, a cool million dollars in cash, and a gig working with Snyder and Warner Bros. on the DC franchise films.

Snyder’s serious about giving the winner their chance to launch a bona fide career under his wing. He’s been working with some of the same folks since his film school days spent with Michael Bay and Tarsem and future collaborators like Sucker Punch co-writer Steve Shibuya and frequent DP Larry Fong.

“I mean it in good faith: Tell me what you really want and we’ll see what we can do,” he said. “People get off their sofas, get a camera, get their friends, shoot a spot, and literally it gets shown to 150 million people. And by the way, you can win a million bucks. That’s not a small amount of money! And I’ll be standing there going, ‘Okay! Now, what do you want to do?’”

That Cinderella shot could lead to a gig on, say, 2017’s Justice League: Part One. Snyder’s already preparing to direct the first of two Justice League films while simultaneously finishing next summer’s Batman v. Superman after an epic 140-day shoot in Detroit with stars Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, and Gal Gadot.

“Chris Terrio and I worked on I]Batman v. Superman[/I script, and he did an amazing job,” Snyder said of the March 25, 2016 blockbuster, which pits Affleck’s Batfleck against Cavill’s Man of Steel and will lead-off ten more planned DC superhero flicks. “It’s great fun, but it also has an eye toward the future—it’s going toward Justice League. Early on, once we decided that we were going to put Batman in the movie, then I was like, ‘Okay, good! Because you know what that means? It means the floodgates can open!’”

He considered the obvious comparisons between DC and its ambitious slate of superhero team-ups and standalones to the Marvel Cinematic Universe anchored by the Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and Avengers films. The key difference between DC’s Shakespearean superheroes and Marvel’s, he says, is that DC’s are more epic.

“It’s a tricky process, setting up the DC universe, or Justice League,” Snyder said. “The credit goes to [Batman Begins director] Chris Nolan because he set the die for the DC Universe in a great way that I tried to emulate. I look at it as more being mythological than, say, bubblegum. And I think that that’s appropriate for Batman and Superman because they’re the most mythological of our superheroes.”

Steven Spielberg’s recent doomsday prediction that “there will be a time when the superhero movie goes the way of the Western” got many a fanboy’s spandex in a bunch. Ahead of our chat, in an interview earlier in the day, Snyder responded to Spielberg’s comments—and when I brought it up, he was flabbergasted that the Internet had already jumped all over the brewing debate. “That was this morning!” he exclaimed, before jovially admitting that Spielberg might be right while throwing some playful shade at the competition.

“It goes to the mythological nature of the movies that we’re making,” he said. “I feel like he’s right. But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman. They’re not just, like, the flavor of the week Ant-Man—not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?”

Besides, even if the Western cycled out of fashion, the genre had a pretty fantastic run, Snyder pointed out: “Didn’t he say it was kind of like the Westerns? But there are still great Westerns. I think it’s whenever anything becomes a ‘genre,’ you have to sort of look at it and try to understand it.”

He also addressed recent rumors that the focus of Batman v. Superman is skewing more Batman than Superman with six months left to go before it hits theaters.

“Only in that because it’s a different Batman than the Batman that was in the Chris Nolan movies, so we have a little bit more explaining to do—and you just had a whole Superman movie,” he smiled. “But I think only in that way, because you need to understand where Batman is with everything. And that’s more toward the beginning, but it evens back out as it goes on.”

Snyder described how he views the personal and philosophical conflict that pits Gotham City’s vigilante Dark Knight against its godlike Kryptonian savior, whose costly victory over Zod in Man of Steel left a swath of death and destruction in its wake.

“They’re actually opposite sides of the same coin,” said Snyder. “It’s interesting because Batman’s a man and Superman’s a god, if you think about it in those terms. So their relationship is very contentious. What Superman sees as Batman’s limits, Batman sees as Superman trying to control him, acting like an absolute dictator.”

“What we went after was the humanity of each character,” he continued. “We tried to say, ‘What would Batman have to do to unravel Superman, and what would Superman have to do to unravel Batman?’ Their conflict is based on each others’ understanding of the other’s weakness. The fun of that is when you’re dealing with these mythological creatures—to make them human again, bring them back to earth. And to do that you have to know the rules before you can break them. They have to go all the way to the stratosphere before you can bring them back down.”
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    Awww yeah!:
    A marketing campaign for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is under way! Fortune magazine just published a piece online, sponsored by LexCorp, profiling its 31-year old CEO Alexander Joseph Luthor Jr.. He even has a Twitter account! ---> https://twitter.com/alexanderluthor
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    are you even going to enjoy the movie by knowing each and single details before it comes out ? i dunno i feel like with more and more stuff i know about this movie the less i want to see it bleh...
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I've been deliberately avoiding those long posts.

He's posting so many of them that I can't help but wonder why D:
  • ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    are you even going to enjoy the movie by knowing each and single details before it comes out ? i dunno i feel like with more and more stuff i know about this movie the less i want to see it bleh...

Uh yeah i will, because these aren't really major movie breaking details lol. Just info they want us to know, marketing etc.