Home General Discussion

Hololens for Maya

Replies

• Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    Since uninstalling all Flash plugins from my browser (FireFox), how are people seeing these inline YouTube links? They aren't switching to the new standard... html5 video. (?)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I just want the hololens to replace my Perspective view.

:/

Still gonna use monitors for orthographics i think.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I can't wait to see this develop more. I want to be able to model while walking around using hand movements. Probably still a good ways out. Maybe we will get there one day.

2190_LOOK.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    On one hand, I love the idea of being able to review a model by walking around it and/or manipulating it freely in space, like one would do by walking around a sculpture or holding a figurine in one's hand.

On the other hand ... I can't believe that MS is still doing Hololens "presentations" without showing a single video feed or mockup of what it actually looks like to see through the device. There is zero reason to believe that the AR objects will be as perfectly opaque as the way they are simulated in that video. it's getting frustrating !
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The tech looks awesome and I hope it can be realised to its full potential.

I suspect some "fowl play" in the video though. The mouse movements don't match the motion of the bike model, most noticeably when he first rotates the bike. Still seems like "proof of concept".

Time will tell...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, looks like a bullshot to me, his hand movement doesn't synch.

Also one of the biggest issues I haven't seen addressed yet, is how do you project negative color on the HoloLens? If it's a glass you can see through, and you project an image onto the glass, that's additive light. It would only brighten the real world view, never darken it.

Maybe the lenses are obscuring the real world view, by opaquing the glass pixels?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    On one hand, I love the idea of being able to review a model by walking around it and/or manipulating it freely in space, like one would do by walking around a sculpture or holding a figurine in one's hand.

On the other hand ... I can't believe that MS is still doing Hololens "presentations" without showing a single video feed or mockup of what it actually looks like to see through the device. There is zero reason to believe that the AR objects will be as perfectly opaque as the way they are simulated in that video. it's getting frustrating !

I think this video got the closest (for short bits) of showing what it is like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=SKpKlh1-en0
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, and it's a bit ironic - they did add some transparency on the composites in that video ... but also added a lot of post process and effects to make it look "iron-man-esque".

Anyways - wait and see I guess !

Eric : totally agree, and I am baffled that none of their presentations even remotely mention this challenge which seems to be at the core of any attempt at AR. Their demos make it look as if they somehow developed a way to make a piece of see-through glass completely opaque on a per-pixel basis at 60FPS, with the opacified area then able to turn into an emitting pixel (either directly, or through some sort of projection) ... but such tech is never mentioned anywhere.

(now don't get me wrong - I am actually really looking forward to this tech, even if it turns out to be glitchy and laggy and only works in a carefully lit grey room ... but the lack of healthy skepticism on tech blogs reporting on it is a bit disheartening.)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but currently this gets a big "meh" from me. I can already pan around my model in a three dimensional view, that's the whole point of our modeling packages. I don't see this improving my workflow, in this iteration at least.
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Ill wait for real world reviews. Having the ability to control every single aspect of your presentation doesn't exactly give a truthful look at your product. I think holo-lens could have a very cool place in our world, along with other competitors products later, but right now they're just trying to build their audience and unfortunately they're probably stretching the truth and using a lot of gimmicks.

Give it a couple years and im sure the tech could make it very practical, and not to mention super cool (;
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    gonna need a bigger desk to put models on
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    we are living in the future, amazing tech! too bad the fov for the hololens is still crap atm, atleast compare to other vr/ar (oculus, vive, starvr, etc)
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, but currently this gets a big "meh" from me. I can already pan around my model in a three dimensional view, that's the whole point of our modeling packages. I don't see this improving my workflow, in this iteration at least.

I love looking at my models in VR. It's you look at your work in a whole new perspective.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    One great potential I keep thinking about for this (and since AR began) is the possibility for fully animated and dynamic table top games. I know its been seenm before but this really has "bigger" potential for it. Get 4 players wearing these round a table and you'd see a table top game brought to life with a mix of real world objects and AR objects. Hell, the games wouldnt just have to be on a table you could use a whole room as a battle ground/open world/etc...

Games Workshop/Warhammer should be looking very hard at this kind of tech.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Aabel wrote: »
    I love looking at my models in VR. It's you look at your work in a whole new perspective.
    I guess it could be pretty cool if you're looking at your model in true scale. Product designers would love that I bet. Still, I doubt this would enable me to model a motorcycle any better than I already can. :/
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    One great potential I keep thinking about for this (and since AR began) is the possibility for fully animated and dynamic table top games. I know its been seenm before but this really has "bigger" potential for it. Get 4 players wearing these round a table and you'd see a table top game brought to life with a mix of real world objects and AR objects. Hell, the games wouldnt just have to be on a table you could use a whole room as a battle ground/open world/etc...

Oh Wow! That would be awesome!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17

Already working on it, but shhhhh. You didn't hear that :)
  • shaderfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaderfx polycounter lvl 9
    I was lucky enough to see this demo and it is not that far off from what they show here.

Of course it is different when actually looking through the device (fov limits, color intensity, maybe some jitter occasionally), but it is not all just fantasy either.

It works relatively closely as advertised in this demo.

This and many other holo lens demos are showing the potential of the device and exploring different ideas of where the technology could be interesting.

Definitely something really cool MS is doing here.
    Lets keep it positive! :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12

BlueEyesWhiteDragon-JP-Manga-R-NC.png
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
    I am so hyped for this tech.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I'm stoked! I can only imagine now creating my characters in this sort of fashion. Real life mode...wow!
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like this would be incredibly handy for actually visualizing models in real space.

So the real question is when Marmoset gets HoloLens support :D
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    You could be throwing around pokeballs, and all you can think of is boardgames! :P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    From what I've seen and read, the field of view on the Hololens is terrible and won't change before it is released. Has anyone heard about what frame rate it displays at? I'd much rather buy the Oculus Rift CV1 than this, but a few years or versions might change that.
  • SyedS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    From what I've seen and read, the field of view on the Hololens is terrible and won't change before it is released. Has anyone heard about what frame rate it displays at? I'd much rather buy the Oculus Rift CV1 than this, but a few years or versions might change that.

FoV is still an issue but AR stuff will generally be more targeted towards people who are in the skilled trades rather than gaming at the moment. I do work at an AR firm and that's generally what we are aiming for