Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post-apocalyptic cowgirl (WIP)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
...Or something like that, I'm not really sure anymore.

This is something I'm working on for my portfolio, and so it's still a work in progress. I never liked how in Post-apocalyptic games people are either just regular people or mutated monsters, so I tried to combine the two into one character. She's also get up to 62% less brown than standard post-apoc characters!

Telling little stories is a lot of fun with this one; like how her left shoe once belonged to a girl who had all her friends write their names on it, or how she couldn't find two gloves and instead uses a sock for her right arm – and a piece of that was used to patch up the coat.

She's made up of 6346 triangles and 1024^2's for Diffuse, Normal, Specular and Alpha.Nearly all the texture space is unique, which, in retrospect, isn't something a single 1024x1024 map is really up to.

I'm going to play around with the hair some more, have some stick out, especially in the ponytails, and then rig it. I'd love to hear any criticism!

91059750bo3.jpg

r8wireot7.jpg

Thanks for viewing :) .

Replies

• CrazyMatt
    Is she supposed to have 3 arms?

I like the look of the face being textured, has a anime style look to it that works :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Is she supposed to have 3 arms?

No, i think it's pretty obvious he modeled, uv'd, and textured that third arm completely by mistake.

Looks really cool man, but I don't think the specular is exactly doing its job. Even ceegeey highlights are everywhere. Break that up!
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    SupRore wrote: »
    No, i think it's pretty obvious he modeled, uv'd, and textured that third arm completely by mistake.

lol@this

But I agree it looks a bit weird, maybe if there was a more obvious connection to the body, like a rip in the jacket
    but like... Maybe there is one, and it just cant be seen from that angle.

edit: Blender? nice effort there bro
  • whipSwitch
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    it's a good start. There are some big things you could fix.

Modeling: A lot of the pieces don't mesh together. The belt looks like it is just suspended around the waist part of the jacket, rather than actually wrapping around her and holding her jacket closed. It doesn't need to be constricting her, but at least should look like its a part of her clothing. The pockets on the jacket, even if stuffed, wouldn't be that uniformly bulky. If the pockets are full of something, the shape should reflect the weight, if not they should be relatively flat. This goes for the bag as well, it should feel more like its actually hanging. The straps on the jacket look like bars, rather than straps. They are laying on top of the jacket, rather than being connected to it in some way, even texturally. And the jacket lacks the tension that straps give when pulling cloth closed.

Textures: The spec map for the whole model really needs to be developed, that is your chance to really separate all the different materials from one another and make the surface have some visual impact and contrast outside of just color and shape. Over all there are some good starting points in the diffuse, but it all needs to be pushed more.
    The red scarf is to saturated, needs to tone it down a bit and add some more color to it. The jacket needs the most work. Leather has a very distinct surface quality to it and the wear and gran should follow the form a lot more. Right now there are parts that are noisy blah, when the cracks and grain should be in more specific places.

Keep banging away at it and you'll get there.
  • vj_box
    that's nicely put by whipswitch i totally agree.

Vj
  • dolemite
    I agree on the arm. I saw it and wasn't sure if it was supposed to be there or not. I definitely think she SHOULD have a third arm tho. It's worth fixing.

I think you did good stuff on the face. The modeling is strong, and the design is great. I like the more saturated colors. You really should finish this!
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I vote to keep the third arm in.
  • DockRock
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    Holy Crap!!! She has a mutant baby arm! That's pretty freaky!

Her overall asymmetrical design is super cool! I love her mix and match shoes and different arm accessories.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, all :)

CrazyMatt: Yes, that's intentional. Gauss always told everyone to do the unexpected, and I figured the last thing you'd expect with a cute-ish girl would be that she's mutated and has a third arm :p .

SupRore: Could you elaborate on the specularity a bit? Are the highlights too similar across the different materials, or are they too even on big surfaces (like the left arm)?

Harry: I'm posting a different view below. My reasoning was that the right arm of the coat was cut off to accommodate an extra arm, which is pretty visible, and then duck-taped to prevent it from raveling out.

whipSwitch: Thanks a lot! That was a very useful post. I've added folds and occlusion to the areas around the belt; they need a lot of work, but is this the kind of thing that you were thinking of? I've addressed the pockets too, with the right one being empty and the left one (she's left-handed, after all) being full. The straps are now attached by velcro, but I plan on redoing that part of the texture tomorrow. I've dumped the overlay texture on the coat and will be manually painting the detail for that (so ignore its current smoothness). I hope I understood what you meant and am moving in the right direction.

Dolemite, t4paN: Thank you. I'm certainly not planning on removing the arm! It's half the character, for me.

DockRock: Hehe, that's the reaction I'm going for :D .

So I think the third arm is the obvious main problem here. Admittedly, the angle of the renders wasn't very good for that, so I've attached a right-side view below. On top of that, I'm going to add some shreds of the T-shirt on the part where the tiny arm sticks out. Do you imagine that that'd cover the issue, or are there any other ideas?
    The bigger right arm isn't a 'full' arm either; it's a bit crooked and bent, its fingers are thinner and the ring and pinky finger both lack the distant phalanx. I assume this wasn't very obvious at first sight, so I think it might be a good idea to make it a bit shorter and bended, to highlight that the third one isn't so much a random mutation sticking out, but part of more deformities.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9494/20666411et3.jpg

And here are the Diffuse and Specular textures. Inefficient layout, I know, but I'd never done hair or a mouth like this and didn't know how much space I'd be needing. Lesson learned... Obviously, the Spec needs a lot of work since quite a few parts aren't really defined at all yet and the hair is just a mess.

r9texturespt9.jpg
  • DockRock
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    It looks even freakier from this angle hahahaha! Great job!
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I agree the clothing needs some work to make it look like the arm is supposed to be there, maybe the arm itself needs a bit of work as well, it doesnt read as a freaky arm at the moment. I understand you're not going for general post-apoc-scifi grossing out puss oozing mutations, but maybe have some subtle mutations like webbing between fingers/missing fingers/fingers melted together.

it also looks like the second arm doesnt have an elbow, and there's no real anatomical explanation of it being there. is it grown tothe ribcage? what muscles are there, can she control it or is it floppy? such stuff
  • Harryscary276
    overall composition looks good, clothing needs some work, the belt for one looks loose and the clothing looks a little too smooth, could use some more wear and tear than just a few patches
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!

I've freakified the two rights arms a bit, as Snader suggested. The fingers and arm are bent, they're skinnier, which means that the normal map shows the bone and muscle structure underneath a bit and there are veins. I hope that this is odd enough. I can't really think of any way to integrate the smaller arm any more at the moment - there's now also more duct tape, so that it's more obvious from every angle that the right sleeve has been cut off. I realise that it lacks a good anatomical basis (the idea was that it's connected to an 'offspring' of the pectoralis maior and the trapezius, with itself having all the muscles of the lower arm), but I don't think any of that is reasonably fixable at this point.

The coat and face have also received a dosis of attention and wear.

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3579/r10kc4.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Busy, busy, busy!

Plenty of things that still need change in the texture (goggles included), but I've been feeling sick all day and did something fun instead:

expressiontestsr5.jpg

Also, yay for Blender which doesn't allow alpha shadows and node-based shaders. Somehow, alpha maps in Blender are the most complicated thing ever, because I always spend hours on getting them to work.
  • MachineMinded
    Yeah, alphamaps can be a bitch in Blender. If you're ever using the infernal renderer, you'll have to turn on TraShadows on the materials that are RECEIVING shadows from the alpha plane(or whatever you're having with transparency). There was some obscure reason for this in the rendering pipeline that had something to do with speed(which the internal renderer is severely lacking).

Main things bothering me are the thickness of the straps of the jacket and the belt. For some reason or another they come across to me as if they were inch thick or something like that. All in all very nice looking stuff.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    infernal renderer
    Ha :D

I know - that alpha mapping took me quite a while to find out the first time... and the second time too. It's unbelievably complicated for something that's used so commonly. The worst part is that I don't think there's any way to get them to work with node-based shaders, so I had to render these without. If there's a solution, I'm sure it's nothing short of mind-bogglingly complicated.

I've thinned the straps and belt now - thanks :) .
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    r11ep1.jpg

Are the green background and rim light helping or are they just cheesy ugly?