Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Sander de Laat, Environment artist

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
Hello Polycounters,

New member here. Have been peeking at the nice art posted around here and thought it was about time I actually signed up. :)

Here is my humble portfolio, I've kept it simple but effective:

http://www.sanderdl.co.nr/

I'm not yet looking for a job. But I am starting a game related course soon and thought I would get ahead of the game and make a proffesional looking site.

Cheers!

Replies

• HolyMonkey
    Looks very good! Im pretty sure you could grab an internship somewhere with that portofolio. However I suggest you practice your modelling skills some. You have alot of solid stuff on there, and good textured work. If you were to have a bit more complex modell and with the same quality texture then that would be awsome ^^ keep going and goodluck with your course
  • Ben Apuna
    Hi there SanderDL, your portfolio is looking good. In fact better than many graduate portfolios I've seen. Are you sure you want to get into a game related course?, it seems as though you've already got the basics and more down already.

I'd say you're already on the right track with your work, just keep replacing weaker pieces in your portfolio with newer stronger work and I'm sure you could probably land a job sooner or later, hopefully sooner :)

As for specific critiques on your work.

1. You should fix up the texture on the roof and the ground of "The Mansion" as the tiling is really noticeable in that first picture. Upping the contrast of the scene and adding some cast shadows might help too.

2. Perhaps you should combine the "Atlantis Wall" and "Floor Tiles" into a L shape and show them together as the "Floor Tiles" alone look poor in comparison to the "Atlantis Wall".

3. I love your Leather Chair, it reads really well.

4. I'd remove some of that old work from your site it's not as good as your newer work, The lamp post and tower look pretty good, but definitely at the very least remove the unfinished gray environment.

Good luck with your future studies, and welcome to Polycount.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice and confidence boost! :)

I'll look into the comments. I still have trouble with doing shadows in UT3. The UT3 master thread on this site should probably enlighten me.

I'm going to do a new piece in form of a small DM level. It should involve some more complex and organic modeling.

I was a bit easy with adding older work. I should probably have a better look at the quality of each piece and organize it better.

Thanks again!
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    interesting to see that your specular maps are in color. does that seem to work better for you in unreal?
  • Mark Dygert
    Pretty nice work congrats!

I'm going to be a nit picky bastard, it looks like a lot but its a bunch of minor things to keep in mind.

-The chair-
    • The materials don't seem to match. There is a disparity between the the back of the chair and the rest of it.
    • No grime, dirt, wear or AO on the rest of the chair except the buttons. Need to push dirt and value changes into the darker areas like around the seat cousin.
    • Leather chairs tend to have seam trim that runs around the top. What you have now is a bit more like cloth over a foam cushion.
    • Pretty noticeable texture seam running down the the end pieces.
    -Wooden Cart-
    • I really like the wooden cart, nice job.
    • There are dark edges that frame the crate
    • The side slats on the crate behind the main cross bar stop at it and kind of bevel where they meet, that bevel should carry on under it.
    • Maybe rotate one of the barrels a little more so you don't see two unique details side by side.
    • The corner kind of does a weird bend, instead of having two boards that meet. Typically a cart with walls like this might have a tail gate?
    -Water Tank-
    • The thickness of the ladder side rails, they seem almost as thick as the supports for the main tank, they'll never support that kind of weight. It's the little proportions that can throw a piece off.
    -Floor Tiles-
    • I really like the detail around the edges of the bricks, nice chipped up look.
    • Maybe display this as a floor piece? Standing up seems like a wall, which is works for that too.
    -The two environment pieces-
    • The golden mansion is the stronger of the two. They both have a bit too much fog.
    • It would be nice to see break downs of the textures and pieces.
    • Some smoothing errors on the golden arches.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    Coloured specuclar maps do make a slight difference. It just adds a little colour to the overall look.

@vig: Thanks for the critics! I'll have a look at them and where possible change a few things, and otherwise keep it in mind for future pieces.