Home General Discussion

Please help me

Hi, Im 14 and I've wanted to make works of art, to be a concept artist, and make video games. But I have a big obstacle to overcome... I am turning away from my dream a bit, because I realize I am horrible at art. I have a wacom bamboo, and I have tried to make many things on it. All of which end up like something a 3 year old would draw. I draw every day of my life, and I never seem to get better. It is extremely frustrating, I have taken art classes, and I practice a lot, but no change. I am about to return my tablet, and give up drawing.
I apologize if I sound like im whining, but I am so angry that I never get better... Someone please help me get better, I have taken classes, practice every day, watched videos... I dont know what else to try.
I know most of you will say practice, but I do a ton... I see no change...

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    - Post your art on forums and learn how to take critiques and apply them to your work.

- You are still young, you should spend a lot of time absorbing as much art as you can, watch movies, read books, go to museums and local art galleries.

- Keep drawing every day, do loose 1 minute gesture drawings for 10 minutes to warm up, and don't get caught up putting all of your time in one project, do 30-50 minute studies.

- A big part of art is learning, if you cannot learn from your mistakes and learn how light, materials, anatomy, perspective, etc work in in the real world, you are not going to get better.

I know you said you've watched tutorials, I'd personally suggest these, http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL/videos?view=0 and the free videos on http://ctrlpaint.com/library/
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh damn, you only have like 5-8 years to get better, so bad....

Quit your moaning and do stuff, damnit :) most of us did not get a good job until we were like 25 ;)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    You're 14. You want to see pictures of the shit I drew when I was 14?

The only failure is quitting.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Drawing every day, 8 hours a day is great but improvement will be minimal if you are not drawing with a purpose.

- ZacD nailed it: Do studies. Do lots of them. So many of them you are doing them in your head when you are not actually drawing.

- Seek out feedback and critiques and take it graciously and wholeheartedly. There are amazing artists here at PC and numerous other forums who will gladly share their insights. But realize that everyone takes their own path and that you may have to go down many wrong paths before it "clicks."

- Also realize that you are young and the fact that you know what you want to do puts you ahead of the bell curve. I didn't realize I wanted to get into the industry until I spent 2 years at a college doing something I hated (different paths!).

- Look into joining a local sketchgroup or life drawing group. Many folks there would happy to help you out and give you some insights. Additionally, watching someone, in person, make their marks and how they approach the subject matter is an intense learning experience.

It's a lot of work but, man, if you are 14 years old and seeking ways to improve, you've got a great headstart.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    gonna chime in just to repeat what others are already saying.

Dude. You're 14. If you keep at it you will have such a massive head start over other people by the time you go to college, it's not even funny. You NEED to stay enthusiastic about it and like Zac said, learn from your mistakes. Do not expect to be good anytime soon. Not next week, not next year. It is a lifelong journey.

I mean shit, I didn't do any art (at all) until I was 19-20 but with hard work and perseverance I was lucky enough to land a job after college.

Keep at it, stick around, and learn all you can. Internet is here to help, as long as you stay positive and aren't a dick to anyone. Good Luck.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I guess I should elaborate... I also had self doubt issues like yourself when I was a teenager. That stuff didn't really go away until I told myself I didn't care if I sucked, I just knew I could only get better. I always looked at pro art and judged myself based on that, but also made sure I didn't let it discourage me.

Like I said, the only way to fail is to quit. Don't quit!
  • EvanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    I think one of the most common misconceptions is that all it takes is sheer effort to get good at something. While for some things that's all you need, for other things it's only a part of what you need. It's like playing sports. You can spend countless hours practicing, but still stink. You might get better endurance, but sheer effort alone won't make you better.

Try thinking about what you're doing. When you spend a few hours every day drawing, also set aside time for self reflection. Don't be so concerned with the number of hours you set aside a day for practice. Be concerned about what you're filling those hours with. If you love to do something, number of hours will never be an issue.

The fact that you're already asking these questions means you're already starting to think. That's great! Keep going. Ask yourself more specific questions. Once you started asking the right questions, you'll be able to look for the right answers. Keep thinking.

Don't be afraid to post work. People on Polycount LOVE to comment on shitty work. So take advantage of that.

You're 14 though, so take it easy. Don't even focus just on drawing. Go out and learn everything! Science! Maths! You might find something you enjoy doing more. And I think very very few people can say they haven't changed much from their 14 year old self. Even when I was 22, I had no idea I'd be doing what I'm doing now. Try to realize, a lot of you right now is hormones. I think it's kind of hard to grasp these kinds of things at your age. But give it 10 years and you'll know.

And even if you do end up sticking to drawing, you'd be surprised at how much learning other things might end up helping. And life experiences too. So DO NOT hesitate to go out and learn AND experience new things.

You're so young and already asking these kinds of questions. If you can keep at it and listen to what's being said here and really apply it. I can't imagine you having a bad life. When I was 14 (shit when I was in my early 20s even) saying these things to me would have been useless. I had my head stuck so far up my ass I couldn't hear anything but my own shit.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Think it may be too late, most of the concept artists I know started concepting monsters/environments at the age of 6, sorry dude.

Seriously though, you've got a lot of time to get good, draw/paint every day! If you're not seeing much improvement it could be your technique or what you're actually practicing, have you taken a look at any online courses or maybe art schools in your area?

These links are pretty good:

http://www.cgma2dacademy.com/

http://ctrlpaint.com/

Upload some work to the sketchbook section so everyone can see your improvement. Good luck!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    draw a lot, draw everything, study.

You think you draw alot, you probably don't (30-40 hours a week). either that or you dont draw from reference so you keep making the same mistakes. Your 14 though, that's a good age to get serious, everyone has to start somewhere.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    if you are 14, you are too old to do this shit. We have people who are 12 year old kids who draw kick ass concept art pieces, who also work in the Ubisoft, EA and Activision, you are too late.

Ok jokes aside.

You should learn the foundations before you jump in to the entire art scene. You have entire life to achieve your goal. There are those who are like 34+ and just starting out in this scene yet they've had even crappy art skills then a 14 year old, but they have succeeded in learning arts by investing hours and hours of learning and practicing.

Look for the art fundamental DVDs that are on Gnomon workshop, also look for the anatomy books to learn and understand the aspects of drawing.

Or environment art books to see how that is done.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone sucks when they start -- if you compare them to a 30 year old who's been doing art since he was.... say.... 14 :). I know it's really hard to measure progress in yourself when you're new and you compare your work to stuff that you like... You always come up short when you do that. The truth is that when you're starting, progress is slow but you DO learn a lot... but it's little things that are more subtle. For example, your lines might become a little more consistent. Maybe you get better at drawing straight lines, or lines that are parallel, without things being skewed. maybe something entirely different. It's hard to see it, and it's damn near impossible to see it when you compare yourself to a master, but I'll bet you are improving.

I think it's fantastic that you already have a critical eye towards your work and have a good sense of what's "good" and "bad". Keep focusing that critical eye on your work, but add a little pride too. You'll learn! You'll be on here showing us all up before you know it.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    someone said it already, but iam going to point it out again

everytime you draw something you are getting better at it, this should be enough motivation

also

a wise man once told, you need 10000 hours practice to master something
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And that's 10k hrs of actual practice and dissection of your own work, not...

I'm going to draw.
    But first lets check one or two sites.
    LOLZ oh those cats and their cheeseburgers...
    That game looks so good, I need to "research it".
    Ok time to draw, wait hold on.
    fap fap fap
    Ok now for real, umm wait, I hungry.
    Nom nom nom.
    I'll just check some art boards while I eat, nom nom nom
    Soo good. Saved to inspiration. What's Haz up to, Oooo...
    fap fap fap
    Ok drawing. There, one line. That wasn't hard was it? Aawwee it sucks. I hate life, I quit.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14

I'm going to draw.
    fap fap fap
    Nom nom nom.
    fap fap fap
    Ok drawing. There, one line. That wasn't hard was it? Aawwee it sucks. I hate life, I quit.

interesting...I do that when I am studying for Networking.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12

I'm going to draw.
    fap fap fap
    Nom nom nom.
    fap fap fap

:D!
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12

I'm going to draw.
    fap fap fap
    Nom nom nom.
    fap fap fap

I find this amusing because ive done this, besides the quit part.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    someone said it already, but iam going to point it out again

everytime you draw something you are getting better at it, this should be enough motivation

also

a wise man once told, you need 10000 hours practice to master something

reminds me of something a coworker would say:
    "The difference between a good artist and a bad one is about ten feet. Though, that's a ten foot tall stack of very thin paper."