Home General Discussion

Processor for baking

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
Hi guys, I wanna ask you, which processor to choose. (I got budget around 200€ , however I would wanna stick as low as possible)
so my candidates are
INTEL i5-2500 k (4 cores, 3.3 Ghz, 95W(high price)
AMD FX-6300 (6 cores, 3.5Ghz, 95W(great price!))
AMD FX8320 (8 cores, 3.5GHZ, 125W)
AMD FX8350 (8 cores, 4GHZ, 125W)

Is 3600 better to buy rather than 2500? or can u send me some link with benchmarks within baking maps in max or some raytraaced rendering? thanks

Replies

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I'd stick with Intel. Reviews comparing those chips are pretty common, so I'd do your research. The 3rd link is particularly interesting.

FX8350 Review
    CPU Heirarchy Chart
    Anandtech FX Series Review
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baking or other high cpu intensive activities are really simple to benchmark, its just pure cpu speed. Just check this list: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

3770K - 9,654
    8350 - 9,308
    8520 - 8,209
    2500K - 6,494
    6300 - 6,068
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    xeon e3 1230 V2

quite cheap...performance = i7 2600
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys, I wanna ask you, which processor to choose. (I got budget around 200€ , however I would wanna stick as low as possible)
    so my candidates are
    INTEL i5-2500 k (4 cores, 3.3 Ghz, 95W(high price)
    AMD FX-6300 (6 cores, 3.5Ghz, 95W(great price!))
    AMD FX8320 (8 cores, 3.5GHZ, 125W)
    AMD FX8350 (8 cores, 4GHZ, 125W)

Is 3600 better to buy rather than 2500? or can u send me some link with benchmarks within baking maps in max or some raytraaced rendering? thanks

You might also consider the additional costs with the 100+ watt cpus. More expensive power supplies, more heat dissipation needed, and finally... larger electrical bill.

If you can somehow make it happen, an I7. Hyperthreading does help with rendering.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah save up for a bit and get an i7 3rd gen. As oxy stated an i5 is better for gaming than 3D, i7's have multithreading so are far superior for baking and rendering.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Andreas wrote: »
    Yeah save up for a bit and get an i7 3rd gen. As oxy stated an i5 is better for gaming than 3D, i7's have multithreading so are far superior for baking and rendering.

I'd just like to make a distinction between multithreading and hyperthreading here.

When programming, a thread is a seperate section of the same program running at the same time, so I might have four threads running the code that fills in a scanline for a renderer, each taking a scanline and filling it in until the frame is done.

Any processor can multithread, even a single core, which is handled by the OS handing control back and forth giving the illusion of simultaneous multitasking.

With multicore, each core can run a separate thread at the same time. (probably program, but I've never looked into this to know)

Intel's hyperthreading basically has the CPU cores say they are two each. A big bottleneck in any system is how fast data can be pulled in from RAM (which is why good cache is important) so the hyperthreading system looks at the two tasks the core has assigned, and if one task is ready (all of the necessary data is in cache) it performs that task instead of waiting for the data to be available.

This means Intel's hyperthreading CPUs will function better in heavily multithreaded environments and 3D with its complex scenes spanning hundreds of megabytes and (relatively) massive matrices and vectors that flood the CPU cache.

So yeah, hyperthreading is good, but I wouldn't argue it's a dealbreaker. Anyone got any hard statistics for baking specifically? I personally think more cache would probably go a long way comparatively.
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys, I decided for i2500, however its results in rendering benchmarks are slighly lower (around -10%) but its probably more stable and saves up elecrticity bills :D
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Stable? Aren't almost all CPUs stable? (with rare exceptions)

Regardless I imagine going above quad would have strongly diminished returns, even in an embarrassingly parallel environment like rendering because the bottleneck is the RAM/motherboard. Even though I'm an AMD guy, I have to agree on the i2500 for this reason combined with its hyperthreading.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    if you are going for the i5 why not the 3570l instead of the 2500? lower power use but does more calculation etc. at the same voltages. that's why i got the 3570K to tbh. you get more for the same power. only oc'ing is limited to 4.8/5.0ghz because of the heat but that's it.