Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Drow Ranger - Gem-Tastic

Hey people. Finished the Lycan set and want to set myself the task of completing a much better set within the last 2 weeks. Just done a quick concept but wanted to post and actually go through the concept stage this time. Have promised myself to post again today with at least four variations for all you lovely people to crit me on :).

Replies

• RyanAxel
    Okay..so I have done a few concepts. Still in the early stages, but I would really appreciate any pointers or tips from you guys. I want to have a solid idea of where I am going before I start modelling this time.

concept2h.jpg
  • RyanAxel
    Okay...so not a lot of feedback :( But I liked the top right idea even though it is a bit iron man. I will try and tone that down a bit. Anyway I have developed the idea to a point where I am happy to start modelling now and thought I would post an update. My concept art is not great, but hopefully it conveys a rough idea of what I want to do. Only a week left now really so its gogogo :)

concept3a.jpg
  • RyanAxel
    Update...was away all weekend so I spent today blocking out. Gonna start sculpting tomorrow after work so hopefully another update on Tuesday. Really enjoying this one though. Also apologies for the Cleopatra hairdo...will work on that in the sculpt. Just a quick render to show some progress really. Crit and tips appreciated :D

blockout4.jpg
  • RyanAxel
    UPDATE...and a problem :( So I have my LOD0 and LOD1 done now (pictured is lod1) and I am trying to import the lod1 into the Dota 2 workshop. My triangle count for the arms is 332, but when I try and import it says it has 478 triangles? I thought it might be counting the bones...but that only brings it to 412 tris...so I have no idea where the 478 is even coming from. Does anyone have any advice or tips? Would be kinda sad to get this far and then miss the deadline. p.s crit always welcome :)

triangleproblem.jpg
  • RyanAxel
    Okay, I...fixed?...it. I downloaded the SMD exporter and it worked like a charm. It must have been something to do with the fbx file...again. Looking forward to getting this done now. Will sort a presentation sheet later tonight and make the final update :)
  • RyanAxel
    Can anyone help with this problem? I have tried skinning the head to the neck and the other bones but nothing will work. This is what happens when I skin to the head bone? Is there a known problem with the drows rig?

problemiju.jpg
  • RyanAxel
    ok. Well I solved whatever problem it was and managed to get everything skinned properly and uploaded last night. Just made a quick presentation sheet. Got lots of inspiration for the layout from the finals thread, so not claiming to be ultra original with the presentation. Lots of amazing pieces of work for this contest, so good luck to everyone. :)

presentationpage.jpg